Author Topic: Mast Cell Activation Syndrome  (Read 113247 times)

Muon

• MCAD Thread
Re: Mast Cell Activation Syndrome
« Reply #340 on: January 03, 2021, 02:25:47 PM »
Mast Cell-Dependent Excitation of Visceral-Nociceptive Sensory Neurons in Irritable Bowel Syndrome

MC mediators could interact with sensory nerves in general signaling to your brain. Could play a role in (heat/cold) hypersensitivity as well.

Irritable Bowel Syndrome Is Associated With the Primary and Secondary Mast Cell Disorders

"MCDs are at least 4 times more likely to be present in patients with IBS. This data supports the role of MC hyperactivity in the pathogenesis of some IBS patients."

Mast Cell Biology and Linkages for Non-clonal Mast Cell Activation and Autoimmune/Inflammatory Syndrome Induced by Adjuvants

drop247

« Reply #342 on: January 05, 2021, 12:37:15 PM »
A lot of people with Multiple Chemical Sensitivity have been able to cure themselves with the Dynamic Neural Retraining System program. I'm curious about whether limbic system retraining could also benefit MCAS and POIS. Does anyone have experience with DNRS?

Muon

• MCAD Thread
« Reply #343 on: January 05, 2021, 01:04:32 PM »
A lot of people with Multiple Chemical Sensitivity have been able to cure themselves with the Dynamic Neural Retraining System program. I'm curious about whether limbic system retraining could also benefit MCAS and POIS. Does anyone have experience with DNRS?

Iwillbeatthis has experience with DNRS.

Muon

• MCAD Thread
« Reply #344 on: January 09, 2021, 11:16:21 AM »
...Sounds like an 'abnormal' endogenous process due to orgasm that can be triggered by an exogenous substance, in this case semen...

...From second paper:
"Human seminal plasma contains very high concentrations of prostaglandins when compared to other bodily secretions. It is now apparent that PGE2, 19-hydroxyprostaglandin E1 and 19-hydroxyprostaglandin E2 are the three major prostaglandins in human seminal plasma, each being present in millimolar concentrations..."
I think it's the prostaglandins in the semen that cause this. Or it could be caused by the polyamines (spermine, spermidine).

Expression of Antizyme Inhibitor 2 in Mast Cells and Role of Polyamines as Selective Regulators of Serotonin Secretion

"The exact molecular mechanisms by which polyamines selectively regulate the secretion of serotonin from activated MCs remain to be elucidated. However, there are a couple of potential mechanisms that could be hypothesized. Polyamines regulate the gating of various ion channels including calcium channels, enhancing Ca2+ influx in various types of cells [33]–[37]."

Need to take a look at references 33-37 later. It seems polyamines interact with calcium channels. Someone on this forum swallowed his semen and couldn't swallow food properly afterwards (some kind of stasis). Goldstein mentioned that there could be a potential problem with Ca2+ channels in male ejaculation disorders regarding CFS like symptoms.

There also is a site for polyamines present on NMDA receptors.

ROS measurements are overlooked in health care:
Role of Reactive Oxygen Species in Mast Cell Degranulation
« Last Edit: January 09, 2021, 11:43:05 AM by Muon »

Muon

• MCAD Thread
« Reply #345 on: January 11, 2021, 05:34:28 PM »
Yes, i don't want to take them because of addiction, only when needed.
Nothing else really work for me but coffee in pois , for pain and cfs,
but coffee has side effects if not dosing smart.

Catechin synergistically potentiates mast cell-stabilizing property of caffeine

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Catechin

https://poiscenter.com/forums/index.php?topic=2301.msg34473#msg34473

I haven't checked the sources:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Molar_concentration#Units

https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/how-much-caffeine-in-coffee

The average caffeine content of an 8-oz, brewed cup of coffee is 95 mg. A single espresso or espresso-based drink contains 63 mg, and decaf coffee contains about 3 mg of caffeine (on average).

https://www.convertunits.com/from/moles+Caffeine/to/grams

1 mol of caffeine= 194,1906 gram
1 gram = 0.0051495798457804 mol
95 mg = 0.000489210085 mol = 0.48921 millimol

Average
95 mg ~ 8 oz (=236.588237 ml?)

0.4015 mg/mL = 2,07 mM

Paper at top:

"Caffeine anhydrous, purchased from Wako Pure Chem Ind. (Osaka, Japan), was dissolved in the external solution at the final concentrations of 1 mM (194 ug/ml), 5 mM (971 ug/ml), 10 mM (1.94 mg/ml), 25 mM (4.86 mg/ml), 50 mM (9.71 mg/ml) and 100 mM (19.4 mg/ml)"

At least 10mM for some suppression. Your average cup is ~ 2mM

"However, this amount varies between different coffee drinks, and can range from almost zero to over 500 mg."

For 500 mg caffeine per cup ---> concentration = 2.113 mg/mL = 10.89 mM, so this one is sufficient.

But there is catechin in coffee (how much?) so the concentrations of caffeine needed could be lower.

Another reason why caffeine could work:
However, in the presence of 10 mM caffeine, a potent scavenger of ROS

« Last Edit: January 13, 2021, 01:08:41 PM by Muon »

Muon

• MCAD Thread
« Reply #346 on: January 13, 2021, 12:08:56 PM »
Ah now I understand why the coffee enema in a POISer might have worked out. If you want to cover as much surface area (mucosal MCs) of your GI tract as possible you will need more than 1 cup of coffee + argument in previous post.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2021, 12:14:10 PM by Muon »

Iwillbeatthis

« Reply #347 on: January 13, 2021, 01:54:55 PM »
I tried coffee enemas twice, the first time I felt really weak and shaky afterwards, using the recommended amount, the second I used much less but still felt bad and weird, found it hard to speak. And normally I can drink strong coffees and feel normal. I also tried an enema also with just water and electrolytes and this made me feel really good.

Muon

• MCAD Thread
« Reply #348 on: January 15, 2021, 03:15:26 PM »
Hello, I have started taking Zinc Picolinate 40mg and I have noticed a slight improvement in my POIS symptoms (a bit more alert and my psoriasis is not so bad).

Could this mean that my POIS is hormone-related given Zinc is linked to testosterone, etc? Is there anything else I should try alongside Zinc given I have seen some improvements with Zinc?

Simultaneous measurement of multiple Th1 and Th2 serum cytokines in psoriasis and correlation with disease severity

"We observed that IFN-g and IL-8 cytokines were elevated in psoriatics and correlated with parameters of disease severity while IL-10 and IL-12 were decreased."

Susceptibility-associated genetic variation at IL12B enhances Th1 polarization in psoriasis

Tuning the brain:
"If NGF levels are too high, a phenomenon called apoptosis occurs. Apoptosis is associated with cell death. Using zinc in fairly
physiologic concentrations attenuates the apoptosis induced by NGF.

Zinc can block NMDA receptors acutely and can also induce a Src family-mediated (tyrosine kinase) up-regulation of NMDA-receptor
function.

Mast cells and inflammation

Psoriasis is also triggered or exacerbated by acute stress [105,200-202]. We showed that psoriasis is associated with increased serum CRH and decreased lesional skin CRHR-1 gene expression possibly due to downregulation [203]. Psoriasis is characterized by keratinocyte proliferation and inflammation, as well as mast cell accumulation and activation [106,204]. Mast cells are increased in lesional psoriatic skin [105,106]. Neuropeptides [205], especially SP [206], are involved in the pathogenesis of psoriasis. In particular, SP reactive fibers are localized close to mast cells [105,207]. SP can stimulate mast cells [208,209] and contributes to inflammation [210,211].

SP-positive nerve fibers are more dense in psoriatic lesions and have an increased number of mast cell contacts compared to normal skin [207,212,213]. SP-positive nerve fibers and mast cell contacts are also increased by acute stress in mice [214], leading to dermal mast cell degranulation [201,208,215]. Keratinocytes also express neurokinin (NK) 2 receptors and can be stimulated by SP [216], to release IL-1 [217]. Keratinocyte proliferation is accelerated by PAF, which can be secreted from mast cells [218], and stimulates human mast cells [219].

Psoriasis is associated with chronic inflammation and it often co-exists with inflammatory arthritis [220], in which IL-33 was recently implicated [221]. IL-33 is one of the newest members of the IL-1 family of inflammatory cytokines [222], and can mediate IgE-induced anaphylaxis in mice [223]. IL-33 also induces release of IL-6 from mouse bone marrow-derived cultured mast cells [224], and IL-8 from hCBMCs [225]. We showed that IL-33 augments SP-stimulated VEGF release from human mast cells and IL-33 gene expression is increased in lesional skin from patients with psoriasis [226]. Mast cells may, therefore, be involved in the pathogenesis of psoriasis and other inflammatory skin diseases.

Zinc and mast cells

Zinc and Th1

Table 2 Clinical studies on neuropeptides and cutaneous innervation in psoriasis:
The role of neuropeptides in psoriasis
« Last Edit: January 15, 2021, 03:40:29 PM by Muon »

Muon

• MCAD Thread
« Reply #349 on: January 27, 2021, 03:44:27 PM »
Decoding Mast Cell-Microglia Communication in Neurodegenerative Diseases

"These data support the notion that stabilization of brain mast cells during neuroinflammation could be a new therapeutic strategy to restrain microglial hyperactivity. Tranilast has been used to inactivate the NLR family pyrin domain containing 3 (NLRP3) inflammasome, yet is also used as an anti-allergy medication as a “mast cell stabilizer” [116] suggesting that its effect in the brain may also modulate mast cell functions via the inflammasome."

In the fertility review article, they also refer, apart from the ketotifen study, to a study using the lesser known mast-cell stabilizer tranilast.  This one is not a histamine receptors blockers.  Its mechanism of action is not completely elucidated but it appears to work through the inhibition of a variety of pro-inflammatory cytokines ( see https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/26455295 , and https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20398193 , for examples ). In the review article on fertility, a 28,6% fertilization rate was observed in the tranilast group, vs 0% in the control group.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2021, 04:00:25 PM by Muon »

berlin1984

• Administrator
  • Use Adaptogens and Antioxidants, they can help.
« Reply #350 on: January 27, 2021, 04:11:34 PM »
There is a medicinal plant called Mangosteen which may reduce PGE2 and histamine
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12230104

By coincidence I stumbled over this fruit and checked the forum here and this is the only hit.
I've ordered the extract now, it sounds promisting as a pre-pack?

Muon, do you think Mangosteen is useful for mast cell inhibition?

https://scholar.google.com/scholar?as_sdt=0%2C5&q=mangosteen+mast+cells&btnG=

Muon

• MCAD Thread
« Reply #351 on: February 02, 2021, 01:06:52 PM »
Muon, do you think Mangosteen is useful for mast cell inhibition?
https://scholar.google.com/scholar?as_sdt=0%2C5&q=mangosteen+mast+cells&btnG=

I haven't looked into it. Dumping this here, I'm unable to unlock it at the moment of posting:
The role of intestinal mast cell infiltration in irritable bowel syndrome (2021)

Muon

• MCAD Thread
« Reply #352 on: February 10, 2021, 05:08:33 PM »
Muon:

"Have you studied the interaction between testosterone and mast cells in the lab? The papers in literature about this are quite scarce."

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S2376060520301863

https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/full/10.1111/exd.12006

https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/full/10.1111/j.1600-0625.2009.00969.x

Dr. Theoharides:

"Yes
It inhibited at high doses as did progesterone, while estrogen augmented
"

aswinpras06

« Reply #353 on: February 10, 2021, 09:44:02 PM »
I have moved to new house to treat my mold allergy.  But so far no relief in my breathing difficulty. And this place is. located near a busy street and hence lots of dust coming in.  I just have little lmoney left of my life saving after buying this house and very frustrating to notice dust is causing far more problems than mold.  But the only silver lining is that recently I have been taking palmitoylethanolamide and it helps for my gut problems and also for my lung congestion.  I am taking 300 mg twice a day on empty stomach.  I don't know how long this will work.  But this gives another solid proof that mast cells are the most likely problem in my case. 

If the mast cells in our digestive tract are not triggered then most problems including pois can be cured or controlled.  I am now focusing on this.

etcosp

« Reply #357 on: May 05, 2021, 02:20:43 PM »
Can you have high histamine without any nasal symptom ?

Journey

• MM group
  • INTP, 19 y.o. aware of POIS since 2019
« Reply #358 on: May 05, 2021, 02:36:17 PM »
Can you have high histamine without any nasal symptom ?
Yeah depends on your type of mast cell degranulation it can be localized too