Author Topic: Pepto Bismol removed symptoms completely  (Read 33010 times)

Muon

• MCAD Thread
Re: Pepto Bismol removed symptoms completely
« Reply #20 on: June 03, 2020, 12:10:35 PM »
IronFeather had colitis. It's being used for colitis and diarrhea. I wonder how she responds to the stuff.

drop247

« Reply #21 on: June 03, 2020, 02:14:21 PM »
I can vouch for black seed oil as the most effective natural anti-histamine I've used. Clears my sinuses right out and is effective in reducing the aches I get from eating high histamine foods. I'd take it daily if only it didn't give me vivid bad dreams that leave me stressed out in the morning.q

hapl

« Reply #22 on: June 03, 2020, 03:00:42 PM »
I didn't find black seed oil all that helpful - maybe a minor improvement.

Interestingly, my regular occasional acid reflux is much, much worse the morning after an O - so maybe I'll try the Pepto. I do wonder if you could just take it as a prepack instead of an everyday medication.

CharlesB

« Reply #23 on: June 03, 2020, 04:44:58 PM »
I didn't find black seed oil all that helpful - maybe a minor improvement.

Interestingly, my regular occasional acid reflux is much, much worse the morning after an O - so maybe I'll try the Pepto. I do wonder if you could just take it as a prepack instead of an everyday medication.

Just curious - for the black seed oil how much did you take and for how long?  My thought was three times daily (I have the gelcaps) for two weeks straight (if the biocidin experiment doesn?t work).  I?m wondering if the amount and the duration are required at a high enough threshold to make a meaningful change to the microbiota.

Just want to make the distinction that I?m coming at this from the angle of attempting to fix an underlying intestinal imbalance, so the dosage and duration may be different than for taking it for symptom relief right before or after O.

Also I am taking kefir with all of this - from everything I?ve read, probiotics are helpful during any kind of antimicrobial regimen.

CharlesB

« Reply #24 on: June 03, 2020, 04:46:43 PM »
I can vouch for black seed oil as the most effective natural anti-histamine I've used. Clears my sinuses right out and is effective in reducing the aches I get from eating high histamine foods. I'd take it daily if only it didn't give me vivid bad dreams that leave me stressed out in the morning.q

Good to know, thanks! 

hapl

« Reply #25 on: June 03, 2020, 05:58:59 PM »
I've tried a couple brands of black seed oil - unfortunately don't remember offhand, but one seemed mildly helpful and one didn't seem to do anything. I experimented with taking once per day or three times per day. I've been trying to fix underlying problems (POIS is only one of my issues - general muscular weakness and constant brain fog is a bigger problem for me).

Right now I'm trying mostly the immune system protocol from the other thread here. Just into my second cycle so we'll see.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2020, 03:25:20 AM by hapl »

Hopeoneday

« Reply #26 on: June 04, 2020, 05:35:31 PM »
Actualy i think that this action of antyprostagladins-antiinflamatory- antibacteriall, binding toxins is crucilal
for pois, this pepto has small antacid potention:

And by the way, i did remeber in the past that some members
cured theirs pois by this product.

Stimulation of absorption of fluids and electrolytes by the intestinal wall (antisecretory action)
    As a salicylate, reducing inflammation/irritation of stomach and intestinal lining through inhibition of prostaglandin G/H synthase 1/2
    Reduction in hypermotility of the stomach
    Binding of toxins produced by Escherichia coli
    Bactericidal action of a number of its subcomponents, including salicylic acid[14]
    Bactericidal action via a so-called oligodynamic effect in which small amounts of heavy metals such as bismuth damage many different bacteria species.
    Weak antacid properties
« Last Edit: June 04, 2020, 06:24:52 PM by Hopeoneday »
Dr-pois.

drop247

« Reply #27 on: June 20, 2020, 01:35:20 PM »
Any updates on this CharlesB?

John21

« Reply #28 on: July 27, 2020, 06:03:09 PM »
Update

I would like to report that I have had success of late. Previously I had success with taurine, but lately I tried Pepto Bismo. I took it at least an hour before O and had zero symptoms. This repeated multiple times over a few weeks. I am wondering if Pois is related to an unusual post sex histamine release.  I can' t imagine it being something else that prevented Pois symptoms, unless I was suddenly cured somehow. I highly doubt that! I have been taking taurine on occasion for sleep but I doubt that helped unless it can build up in the system, seems unlikely. Anyone else try this besides CharlesB?

demografx

• Administrator
  • All of us working together to defeat POIS!
« Reply #29 on: July 27, 2020, 06:08:21 PM »
John21, great to see you again!

(Everyone, John21 was the first POISer to ever post on a POIS internet group.

In 2007).
10 years of significant POIS-reduction, treatment consisting of daily (365 days/year) testosterone patches.

TRT must be checked out carefully with your doctor due to fertility, cardiac and other risks.

40+ years of severe 4-days-POIS, married, raised a family, started/ran a business

drop247

« Reply #30 on: July 27, 2020, 07:06:35 PM »
Update

I would like to report that I have had success of late. Previously I had success with taurine, but lately I tried Pepto Bismo. I took it at least an hour before O and had zero symptoms. This repeated multiple times over a few weeks. I am wondering if Pois is related to an unusual post sex histamine release.  I can' t imagine it being something else that prevented Pois symptoms, unless I was suddenly cured somehow. I highly doubt that! I have been taking taurine on occasion for sleep but I doubt that helped unless it can build up in the system, seems unlikely. Anyone else try this besides CharlesB?

Whoa. Is it the chewable tablets? How many and how long before O?

CharlesB

« Reply #31 on: July 27, 2020, 09:35:14 PM »

Haven?t had much time to update lately but here goes:

1.) Black seed oil didn?t do anything for me at all.

2.) I did an experiment again with just pepto (chewables) and it worked for about four days straight (no symptoms), and then seemed to lose it?s effectiveness quite a bit after that.  That was about a month ago.

3.) This week I had an O and got desperate when the symptoms started (I had a big day the next day), and I tried pepto post orgasm and it knocked the effects down significantly.

Long story short, pepto bismol is the only thing I?ve found that helps me in the slightest.  I have an appointment with a new integrative Dr. tomorrow and I?m hoping she?ll have some ideas or at least order a boatload of tests (I want to get my parathyroid checked out, as I am vitamin D deficient, but taking a d3 supplement gives me near full strength POIS symptoms.  At least it is a clue).

CharlesB

« Reply #32 on: July 27, 2020, 09:39:56 PM »
Update

Glad to hear the Pepto helped you out!  Any win is a big win when dealing with this POIS garbage.  I?m going to ask my doctor tomorrow if there are any long term concerns if taking it intermittently over time (like once or twice a week), as I know that the bismuth can accumulate in the body if taken every single day.

John21

« Reply #33 on: July 28, 2020, 03:36:08 AM »
Glad to hear the Pepto helped you out!  Any win is a big win when dealing with this POIS garbage.  I?m going to ask my doctor tomorrow if there are any long term concerns if taking it intermittently over time (like once or twice a week), as I know that the bismuth can accumulate in the body if taken every single day.

I am curious to know what he says about that. If this works for others we might have some data for understanding the root of this problem. Maybe histamine doesn't make sense, I misunderstood a post in this thread that was actually the benefits of black seed oil. I see I spelled it wrong, there is an "l" at the end, it is Bismol. The one that I took was a liquid no-name brand of bismuth, found it in a dollar store.  I took one adult dose as measured with the measuring cup that comes with it.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2020, 03:44:38 AM by John21 »

Muon

• MCAD Thread
« Reply #34 on: July 28, 2020, 07:00:47 AM »
Long story short, pepto bismol is the only thing I?ve found that helps me in the slightest.  I have an appointment with a new integrative Dr. tomorrow and I?m hoping she?ll have some ideas or at least order a boatload of tests (I want to get my parathyroid checked out, as I am vitamin D deficient, but taking a d3 supplement gives me near full strength POIS symptoms.  At least it is a clue).

Again vit D deficiency. Researchers aren't picking up on this, it drives me nuts.
Anyway we have vit D poll: https://poiscenter.com/forums/index.php?topic=257.0

I've heard of people getting worse on vit D before, I think they discuss the reason for that here: https://mpkb.org/home/patients/protocol_overview

Deficiency also seen in MCAS:
"...vitamine D deficiency by laboratoria criteria is often present in MCAS [192], though often with no clear correlation to clinical effects..."

Presentation, Diagnosis, and Management of Mast Cell Activation Syndrome

We have a thread about testing and parameter suggestions here: https://poiscenter.com/forums/index.php?topic=3207.0

berlin1984

• Administrator
  • Use Adaptogens and Antioxidants, they can help.
« Reply #35 on: July 28, 2020, 07:12:58 AM »
If this works for others we might have some data for understanding the root of this problem.

Seems to be very broad spectrum:

increasing the amount of fluid your intestines absorb
    reducing inflammation and overactivity of your intestines
    preventing your body?s release of a chemical called prostaglandin that causes inflammation
    blocking toxins produced by bacteria such as E. coli
    killing other bacteria that cause diarrhea

https://www.healthline.com/health/diarrhea/pepto-bismol

b_jim

« Reply #36 on: July 28, 2020, 03:12:12 PM »
Happy to read you have some success.
I had gastritis during 2 years and now it's ok.
I never tries pepto bismol but only classical anti-acis (omeprazol, gaviscon...)
Taurine = Anti-Pois
Lyme disease "cured" in 2020.

John21

« Reply #37 on: July 28, 2020, 05:07:59 PM »
preventing your body?s release of a chemical called prostaglandin that causes inflammation

That sounds interesting. Could it be that the body overreact to orgasm with high inflammation causing Pois symptoms? Might prevention of prostaglandin release solve this? In the past my Pois was reduced by eating anti-inflammatory foods, especially blueberries and garlic.

Mr Raba

« Reply #38 on: July 28, 2020, 11:23:03 PM »

Haven?t had much time to update lately but here goes:

1.) Black seed oil didn?t do anything for me at all.

2.) I did an experiment again with just pepto (chewables) and it worked for about four days straight (no symptoms), and then seemed to lose it?s effectiveness quite a bit after that.  That was about a month ago.

3.) This week I had an O and got desperate when the symptoms started (I had a big day the next day), and I tried pepto post orgasm and it knocked the effects down significantly.

D3 is in hormone form. Needed or not it puts its full effect on other hormones, etc. Try D2.  Also called Ergocalciferol. I buy it from amazon.

Vitamin D Supplement Drops (60 mL) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00MXD9FQM/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_FGpiFb8EK3C7Z

I can not tolerate D3 either. And only moderate D2 taking every few days. Makes allergies worse. Increases night urination. But it can also decrease inflammation and help concentration and effectiveness significantly. Especially if combined with vit C.
Simultaneous onset of CFS and POIS since Feb 1993. Married since 1989.

Helped by Immunocal (I explained how to take in previous posts).  Some relief on day one and day two.  It affects neurotransmitters.

berlin1984

• Administrator
  • Use Adaptogens and Antioxidants, they can help.
« Reply #39 on: July 29, 2020, 02:38:03 AM »

That sounds interesting. Could it be that the body overreact to orgasm with high inflammation causing Pois symptoms? Might prevention of prostaglandin release solve this? In the past my Pois was reduced by eating anti-inflammatory foods, especially blueberries and garlic.

I'm not a chemist, but:
Pepto Bismol = Bismuth subsalicylate
Aspirin = acetylsalicylic acid

So it's like a NSAID but with other effects on the gut too.