Author Topic: Is POIS associated with an Autonomic Nervous System Dysfunction?  (Read 19287 times)

Clues

Re: Is POIS associated with an Autonomic Nervous System Dysfunction?
« Reply #40 on: August 28, 2021, 12:22:09 PM »
ANS Dysfunction. Yes I believe so. It is most probably the physiological root cause of POIS. But then why does one develop ANS dysfunction?
Dr Nemechek has this little quiz to find out if you recognize yourself in the symptoms he presents.

Took the test. Clicked "yes" on about 90% of the symptoms! Bob, do you know if there's a correlation between ANS dysfunction and immune system dysfunction? Because my immune system seems off too.

Bob Morane

« Reply #41 on: August 28, 2021, 06:16:00 PM »
ANS Dysfunction. Yes I believe so. It is most probably the physiological root cause of POIS. But then why does one develop ANS dysfunction?
Dr Nemechek has this little quiz to find out if you recognize yourself in the symptoms he presents.

Took the test. Clicked "yes" on about 90% of the symptoms! Bob, do you know if there's a correlation between ANS dysfunction and immune system dysfunction? Because my immune system seems off too.
Yes Dr Nemechek mentions immune system issues associated with ANS Dysfunction.

hapl

« Reply #42 on: August 29, 2021, 12:10:26 AM »
I have a hard time believing 'tests' like that. I'm vaguely interested in Nemechek, but then I see a quiz that says 80% of all chronic illness is caused by dysfunction in ANS. Is there any proof of that, or just a claim? It may be true, but I can make up numbers, too.

Then the quiz itself says any three yes means you have it. So if you have a hard time waking up in the morning, crave sugar, and are anxious - then that's it! So that's probably 90% of America.

Bob Morane

« Reply #43 on: August 29, 2021, 09:45:45 AM »
I have a hard time believing 'tests' like that. I'm vaguely interested in Nemechek, but then I see a quiz that says 80% of all chronic illness is caused by dysfunction in ANS. Is there any proof of that, or just a claim? It may be true, but I can make up numbers, too.

Then the quiz itself says any three yes means you have it. So if you have a hard time waking up in the morning, crave sugar, and are anxious - then that's it! So that's probably 90% of America.
Nemechek explains it further on his website. The real test when you go and see him is one made with electrodes while he asks you to breath in and out in a certain way . The results show if and to what extent you have ANS dysfunction. How he came to this 80% figure I don't know!  As a joke I often say that "Adding a percentage to a statement increases its credibility by 90%" :-)
https://www.nemechekconsultativemedicine.com/

Prospero

« Reply #44 on: August 29, 2021, 10:37:19 AM »
I did a test of the ANS like the one you mention (it's rather a series of tests), with a neurologist, one day after an O (though I wasn't very sick). The result was negative, there was no anomaly of the ANS. The neurologist told me that there was a small percentage of tested POIS cases who had a positive result.

Clues

« Reply #45 on: August 30, 2021, 01:37:34 AM »

I missed those claims. Yeah that sounds like a pretty wild assertion. To be fair it does say if you have any three of the symptoms you're likely to have ANS dysfunction. But still, sounds like a massive exaggeration.

However, assuming all of the listed symptoms are actual symptoms of ANS dysfunction, I do find it striking how many I clicked Yes on.

Quantum

• Administrator
« Reply #46 on: August 30, 2021, 07:33:33 AM »
As a joke I often say that "Adding a percentage to a statement increases its credibility by 90%" :-)

;D
You are 100% responsible for what you do with anything I post on this forum and of any consequence it could have for you.  Forum rule: ""Do not use POISCenter as a substitute for, or to give, medical advice" Read the remaining part at http://poiscenter.com/forums/index.php?topic=1.msg10259#msg10259

demografx

• Administrator
  • All of us working together to defeat POIS!
« Reply #47 on: August 30, 2021, 09:53:08 AM »

As a joke I often say that "Adding a percentage to a statement increases its credibility by 90%" :-)

;D

;D
10 years of significant POIS-reduction, treatment consisting of daily (365 days/year) testosterone patches.

TRT must be checked out carefully with your doctor due to fertility, cardiac and other risks.

40+ years of severe 4-days-POIS, married, raised a family, started/ran a business

Bob Morane

« Reply #48 on: August 30, 2021, 01:06:39 PM »
I did a test of the ANS like the one you mention (it's rather a series of tests), with a neurologist, one day after an O (though I wasn't very sick). The result was negative, there was no anomaly of the ANS. The neurologist told me that there was a small percentage of tested POIS cases who had a positive result.
Interesting! I am very surprised since I cannot imagine POIS symptoms without some ANS involvement especially associated with the X cranial nerve (vagal nerve). I am not knowledgeable enough to understand if there are different ways to measure ANS dysfunction. I do know that Dr Nemechek uses the ANX 3.0 From Ansar Medical (http://www.ans-hrv.com/). The test is done 4 times in a row: at rest, followed by deep breathing, Valsalva maneuver and standing. I do not know the value of the test itself however. It looks like decent science to me but others in our group could do a better assessment I am sure.

Muon

• MCAD Thread
« Reply #49 on: August 30, 2021, 01:15:50 PM »
Testing for vagus nerve function/ANS can be done at caring medical in USA/Florida:
https://poiscenter.com/forums/index.php?topic=3207.0

Muon

• MCAD Thread
« Reply #51 on: January 16, 2022, 08:36:37 PM »
This could be something here, Stellate Ganglion Block:
https://www.healthrising.org/blog/2021/12/28/stellate-ganglion-long-covid-fibromyalgia/

"The “fight or flight” response driven by the sympathetic nervous system appears to be on high alert in chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), and numerous inflammatory diseases. The corollary to that hyperactivation is an underactivation of the regulator of the sympathetic nervous system – the “rest and digest” or parasympathetic nervous system.

The potential ramifications of a chronically activated fight or flight response are many: impaired blood flows, inflammation, digestive problems, increased pain sensitivity, impaired viral defense, etc
."

Discussion thread:
https://poiscenter.com/forums/index.php?topic=4098.0
« Last Edit: January 17, 2022, 11:25:24 AM by Muon »

BoneBroth

« Reply #52 on: January 17, 2022, 05:00:25 AM »
Stress, in other words - in combination of not compensationg the nutrient loss that stress causes. This is probably the "mother"of 90% of all illness in the modern world.

Muon

• MCAD Thread
« Reply #53 on: August 14, 2022, 01:05:32 PM »
Peripheral autonomic functioning and the male refractory period:
Evolving ideas about the male refractory period

Muon

• MCAD Thread
« Reply #54 on: September 14, 2022, 08:38:32 AM »
I was on a high dose of fludrocortisone for years, and it stopped working.
It’s medication for POTS patients with low blood volume. Was it effective for POIS? What was the dose?

Muon

• MCAD Thread
« Reply #55 on: September 29, 2022, 05:35:55 AM »
https://www.mdpi.com/2218-1989/12/10/895
Secondary HIT (Histamine intolerance) symptoms are related to the synthesis and release of catecholamines, which is caused by the increased concentration of histamine.

I wonder if antihistamines synergize with drugs that interfere with catecholamine synthesis in POISers.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2022, 05:50:07 AM by Muon »