Author Topic: POIS NORD RESEARCH STUDY  (Read 118081 times)

Nas

Re: POIS 2019-2020 NORD RESEARCH STUDY
« Reply #20 on: June 20, 2019, 07:53:37 PM »
I will try to alert the FB members. What should I tell them? To make accounts in this forum? Or they can send me their email address and I can send them to you?

demografx

• Administrator
  • All of us working together to defeat POIS!
« Reply #21 on: June 20, 2019, 08:05:24 PM »
Thanks, Nas! Let’s wait till we get closer. and see. We’re not anywhere near implementing recruitment till IRB clears the way. And NORD. Maybe we’ll post an ad at FB group. Maybe ad-augmented FB emails can also work well. If FB’ers are registered here, we’ll have their emails. That might be the most efficient way. But the email campaign has yet to be planned/structured, with me, Quantum (our technical email genius) and the NORD researchers. It was done once successfully for the LPM survey, but it takes 12+ hours. Very slow process!

At this time, the study still needs final approval from IRB. And NORD. Let’s coordinate as soon as we’re approved to go. We’re still at the stage of keeping our fingers crossed :)
« Last Edit: June 20, 2019, 08:18:41 PM by demografx »
10 years of significant POIS-reduction, treatment consisting of daily (365 days/year) testosterone patches.

TRT must be checked out carefully with your doctor due to fertility, cardiac and other risks.

40+ years of severe 4-days-POIS, married, raised a family, started/ran a business

demografx

• Administrator
« Reply #22 on: June 21, 2019, 07:03:54 PM »
From Dr. Tierney Lorenz (POIS Study PI [Principal Investigator]) :

“We are glad to be moving the project forward, although I know the pace is frustratingly slow. (Thank you for your continued patience!)

We are hopeful that this study will garner further clinical interest, but also interest from basic scientists who are researching the physiologic mechanisms of arousal and orgasm. Sometimes the most compelling information about basic physiology comes from rare conditions like POIS. One of my mentors on residency described this kind of work as “tracking down what makes the car rattle so you can learn how to build an engine”. This is part of why our study is mechanistic, rather than intervention oriented (at least at this stage) - the more we can show that understanding POIS will help not only POISers but also, well, everyone, the more likely we will be able to convince larger funders like NIH that it is worth pursuing.

Best -
Dr L “

This was in response to my email thanking the researchers greatly for their longterm commitment to curing POIS!

The NIH invests nearly $39.2 billion annually in medical research!!
Demo
« Last Edit: December 02, 2019, 01:25:18 AM by demografx »
10 years of significant POIS-reduction, treatment consisting of daily (365 days/year) testosterone patches.

TRT must be checked out carefully with your doctor due to fertility, cardiac and other risks.

40+ years of severe 4-days-POIS, married, raised a family, started/ran a business

demografx

• Administrator
« Reply #23 on: June 25, 2019, 02:08:03 PM »
Posted today by Dr Nicole Prause, our POIS Study co-Investigator

Ecstatic to share that Dr. Tierney Lorenz and I have received a grant from the National Organization of Rare Diseases (NORD) to study Post-orgasmic illness syndrome (POIS). The study design uses cutting edge biotechnology, unique endocrine assessments currently unknown for orgasm response, and tests models of POIS that we hope will lead to better treatment.
https://rarediseases.org/nord-awards-ten-new-grants-eight-disease-states-rare-disease-research/
« Last Edit: June 25, 2019, 02:31:30 PM by demografx »

demografx

• Administrator
« Reply #24 on: June 25, 2019, 02:14:33 PM »
From Dr. Prause’s email to me:

“It looks like we are in the news with this press release today!
https://rarediseases.org/nord-awards-ten-new-grants-eight-disease-states-rare-disease-research/

So I finally shared too:
https://twitter.com/NicoleRPrause/status/1143573705953435649 

Nicole Prause, Ph.D. “

fernab

« Reply #25 on: June 25, 2019, 02:36:22 PM »
Thank you Demo for all this updates!!

demografx

• Administrator
« Reply #26 on: June 25, 2019, 02:38:51 PM »
Thanks, fernab! You are a great help.

demografx

• Administrator
« Reply #27 on: June 25, 2019, 04:52:32 PM »

FROM MY GOOGLE ALERT ON POIS  (you can sign up for your own alert here: https://www.google.com/alerts )

Postorgasmic Illness Syndrome

As-it-happens update June 25, 2019

NEWS   
NORD Awards Ten New Grants in Eight Disease States for Rare Disease Research

Tierney Lorenz, Ph.D., University of Nebraska-Lincoln (Lincoln, NE); Autonomic, endocrine, and immune mediators
« Last Edit: June 25, 2019, 10:44:34 PM by demografx »

demografx

• Administrator
« Reply #28 on: June 27, 2019, 06:34:28 AM »
GOOGLE ALERT TODAY

Google   
Postorgasmic Illness Syndrome
As-it-happens update    June 27, 2019
NEWS   
Crowdfunded grant will help UNL researcher study sex-related condition
Lincoln Journal Star
Lorenz and Prause's study of the "Autonomic, endocrine, and immune mediators of post-orgasmic illness syndrome" was accepted earlier this year.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2019, 06:31:40 PM by demografx »

demografx

• Administrator
« Reply #29 on: June 27, 2019, 03:38:41 PM »
I will try to alert the FB members. What should I tell them? To make accounts in this forum? Or they can send me their email address and I can send them to you?
It looks like our email system is *not* ready to use. We will use posting.

Nas

« Reply #30 on: June 27, 2019, 03:46:55 PM »
Not a problem, I guess just pin a post in this website so that visitors can get the information they need.
Tell me when to alert them.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2019, 03:48:45 PM by Nas »

demografx

• Administrator
« Reply #31 on: June 27, 2019, 06:14:16 PM »
I will. But please be patient, Grant kickoffs like this can try anyone’s patience!

Also, not sure at this time if we will post or if the researchers will. And maybe posting directly at FB.

I’ll keep you “posted” lol.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2019, 06:18:07 PM by demografx »

demografx

• Administrator
« Reply #32 on: June 30, 2019, 05:38:47 PM »
”Crowdfunded [from our forum!!] grant will help UNL researcher study sex-related condition [POIS]”

Dr. Tierney Lorenz, our POIS Study Principal Investigator

Journal Star link:

http://tinyurl.com/y48syzo6
« Last Edit: December 01, 2021, 11:40:29 PM by demografx »

Muon

• MCAD Thread
« Reply #33 on: July 01, 2019, 04:04:04 AM »
Can't acces the link because of EU censorship, nice:

451: Unavailable due to legal reasons
We recognize you are attempting to access this website from a country belonging to the European Economic Area (EEA) including the EU which enforces the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) and therefore access cannot be granted at this time. For any issues, contact webmaster@journalstar.com or call 877-760-6006.

fernab

« Reply #34 on: July 01, 2019, 04:07:28 AM »
Yes, I see the same error message...

Muon

• MCAD Thread
« Reply #35 on: July 01, 2019, 04:22:57 AM »
Orwellian measures, a small step closer to 1984.

Nas

« Reply #36 on: July 01, 2019, 12:16:20 PM »
Come to Iraq, you can see the link here haha.

Muon

• MCAD Thread
« Reply #37 on: July 01, 2019, 01:29:27 PM »
Thanks for the invitation Nas but there is no need. Western Europe is already transforming into the next Middle East, I just have to be patient.

demografx

• Administrator
« Reply #38 on: July 01, 2019, 02:24:49 PM »

Can't acces the link because of EU censorship, nice:

Yes, I see the same error message...

”Crowdfunded [from our forum!! - Demo] grant will help UNL researcher study sex-related condition[POIS]”

CHRIS DUNKER Lincoln Journal Star Jun 26, 2019 Updated Jun 27, 2019

Tierney Lorenz
Courtesy photo

Hundreds of millions of dollars slated for research flow into the University of Nebraska-Lincoln each year from federal agencies like the National Science Foundation and the U.S. Department of Agriculture.
Multimillion-dollar research projects that center on creating new materials that will make computers even faster or to study drug addiction in rural areas are a large part of UNL's $308 million in research expenditures this year.
But there are also research grants that fly under the radar while also advancing understanding of the human condition.

Take a recent grant awarded to UNL researcher and assistant professor of psychology Tierney Lorenz from the National Organization of Rare Disorders to study a little-known condition affecting men following ejaculation.
Through a crowdfunded grant totaling $31,000, Lorenz and California-based neuroscientist and sex researcher Nicole Prause will study post-orgasmic illness syndrome, or POIS, the rapid onset of flu-like symptoms in men at the conclusion of sex.
"It's a fairly rare condition, and it hasn't gotten much clinical attention," Lorenz said of the disease, which is commonly marked by coughing and sneezing, sore throats and stuffy noses as well as other physical symptoms.
Some men have reported cognitive difficulties such as a loss of attention span or memory loss. Symptoms can last for a few hours or as long as a week, Lorenz added.

“It's not life-threatening in any way, but these guys can get pretty sick, and the flu can take a big chunk out of their life," she said.
An online community for men who suffer from the disorder raised the funds and worked with the nonprofit National Organization for Rare Disorders in asking for research proposals. Lorenz and Prause's study of the "Autonomic, endocrine, and immune mediators of post-orgasmic illness syndrome" was accepted earlier this year.
The researchers believe a better understanding of the disorder could further larger insight into the physiology of the human orgasm, which could improve sexual health for all, even those without the condition.

It also signals a new track of research at UNL. Lorenz, who just completed her first year on faculty, is the director of the Women, Immunity and Sexual Health lab, which studies how sexual behavior in women affects their immune and endocrine functions, while also providing help to survivors of sexual trauma through basic science and clinical research.
Lorenz, as well as Prause, previously conducted research at the Kinsey Institute at Indiana University Bloomington, where she studied the suppression of women's immune systems during ovulation -- an evolutionary change to prevent the immune system from attacking sperm cells or a zygote -- and whether sexual activity modulates that suppression.
She said the forthcoming POIS study, which will largely take place in Prause's lab in California, is a continuation of her work understanding the larger immune effects of the sexual response cycle.
"It's a really rare condition in which the whole system kind of goes haywire," Lorenz said, "but when we understand how something breaks down, it also helps us understand how it works."
« Last Edit: July 01, 2019, 02:29:15 PM by demografx »

demografx

• Administrator
« Reply #39 on: July 01, 2019, 02:30:16 PM »
But it’s in Arabic!!

;D