Author Topic: Good Results - Leaky Gut Treatment  (Read 8403 times)

Limejuice

• Administrator
Good Results - Leaky Gut Treatment
« on: December 08, 2018, 01:19:17 PM »
Like several others here I'm having good success treating POIS using leaky gut healing diets and supplementation.  I'm leaving this post open as a placeholder to add more information as I learn more and post results of this 'treatment'.

In November 2018 I spent over $3,000 in lab tests to try to identify root causes of my food issues. With only receiving partial test results back what I've learned is that I have leaky gut. Basically the intestinal permeability (how our food is absorbed) in my body is so liberal that most food molecules enter my blood stream, whether they should be there or not. This has happened for 30 years of my life. In a nutshell my body has been attacking these unwanted food particles, which has increased my white blood cell count and created significant inflammation that crosses the blood brain barrier and effects my concentration, memory, motor skills, emotions - i.e. brain fog.

Strangely enough, leak gut is the leading cause of autoimmune diseases in front of genetics. Type 1 diabetes, multiple sclerosis, systemic lupus erythematosus, grave's, Hashimoto's, etc. Succinctly, the person's immune system that has leaky gut is constantly attacking unwanted food particles and overtime turns on itself. I'm moderately confident that POIS is an automimmune disease in my case and that leaky gut is the cause (and it's treatment is the maintained cure of leaky gut).

I've been on the leaky gut diet and supplement stack for 2 weeks now, the beginning of 90 days of strict diet, and already I'm seeing positive results and perhaps a reversal of POIS (reduction of symptom intensity and duration).

Important side note - leaky gut was once a fallacy to chiropractic medicine BUT over the past two decades of immense scientific research and studies is now proven and more understood/documented than most modern day diseases. The link between leaky gut and POIS is real.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2018, 01:21:00 PM by Limejuice »

Hopeoneday

Re: Good Results - Leaky Gut Treatment
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2018, 03:41:36 PM »
Finger crosed for you, lets test this.
Dr-pois.

Nas

« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2018, 03:51:27 PM »
Hey Limejuice
Have you done an intestinal permeability test? Also what is the supplement stack you're using?

Limejuice

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2018, 04:15:20 PM »
Yes Nas, it’s tests for Zonulin levels which regulates the tight junctions in the intestine that allows or prevents molecules from passing into the blood stream among a few other markers that measure permeability, which came back high/positive.

The supplements are high dose L-Glutamine (powder form 20g daily), high dose Quercetin (powder free form 4g daily), enzymes with meals, high quality probiotic before meals, grass fed bone broth fast until mid afternoon.

While supplements help heal intestinal lining and reduce inflammation, food avoidance is the big game changer as it’s the source of the issue. Gluten, grains, dairy, processed oils, refined sugars, and alcohol are foods to avoid initially to heal the intestinal tract and can later be reintroduced to determine sensitivity.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2018, 04:28:21 PM by Limejuice »

Vandemolen

« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2018, 05:01:23 PM »
Yes Nas, it’s tests for Zonulin levels which regulates the tight junctions in the intestine that allows or prevents molecules from passing into the blood stream among a few other markers that measure permeability, which came back high/positive.

The supplements are high dose L-Glutamine (powder form 20g daily), high dose Quercetin (powder free form 4g daily), enzymes with meals, high quality probiotic before meals, grass fed bone broth fast until mid afternoon.

While supplements help heal intestinal lining and reduce inflammation, food avoidance is the big game changer as it’s the source of the issue. Gluten, grains, dairy, processed oils, refined sugars, and alcohol are foods to avoid initially to heal the intestinal tract and can later be reintroduced to determine sensitivity.
I asked my POIS doctor what he thinks about leaky gut and testing Zonulin. If he says it would help I will do the test. Also I want to do a candida test. Because I have a white tongue and fungus acne. Also sometimes I have slime in my stool. A year ago I had worms. As a kid I had worms for a few years.

My POIS came when I got my own place. When I lived with my parents my mum made fresh food every day. When I moved I ordered every day pizza, pasta and other delivery food. And when I had to work late I ate microwave food. I do not know if it is a coincidence that I got POIS in that period.

After an O. I can hear the rumble in my stomach.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2018, 05:12:52 PM by Vandemolen »
POIS since 2000. Very bad since 2008. I knew that I have POIS since June 2010. Desensitization since March 2011. I stopped with desens in July 2016. I have 50% less POIS. And only 1 day of POIS. Purified CBD works for me, but I am allergic for CBD.

arenaico

« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2018, 06:09:27 PM »
I'm glad it works for you. I also think my POIS is related to digestive problems.

Could you explain in detail what kind of treatment are you following?

Thanks!

Hopeoneday

« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2018, 06:33:17 PM »

I asked my POIS doctor what he thinks about leaky gut and testing Zonulin. If he says it would help I will do the test. Also I want to do a candida test. Because I have a white tongue and fungus acne. Also sometimes I have slime in my stool. A year ago I had worms. As a kid I had worms for a few years.

My POIS came when I got my own place. When I lived with my parents my mum made fresh food every day. When I moved I ordered every day pizza, pasta and other delivery food. And when I had to work late I ate microwave food. I do not know if it is a coincidence that I got POIS in that period.

Warms??? You had warms as a kid and recently also???
This is intresting info, so again parasitic infection could couse a
lot of problems, maybe pois symptomes to etc..

Wander, could you ask your doc-is it posible to test for
parasite infection (relevant test for active infection)?

« Last Edit: December 08, 2018, 06:52:21 PM by Hopeoneday »
Dr-pois.

Limejuice

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2018, 06:56:34 PM »

Very interesting Vandemolen. I don't practice functional medicine and only know the information I've researched, but from the little excerpt you provided there's a moderate chance you might have leaky gut! Irony of a POISer is the good news in finding out what our problems are. Also from my understanding there are stool tests that check for infections that could cause issues that lead to leaky gut like worms, parasites, bad bacteria, viruses, candida, and the like (my test sample collection consisted of 14 vials or blood and a stool sample for which I've only received partial data to date). Good for you to take charge and ask for these tests. I wish I would have done this years ago.

Nas

« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2018, 07:04:06 PM »

Well many of these are Mast Cell stabilizers perhaps you have food allergy which activates Mast Cells allover your body. Unstable Mast Cells could be a common character of POIS. It's also why you're dealing with a leaky gut since histamines signal vascular walls to expand. The thing is, food particles are still too large to enter the blood stream even with a leaky gut. That's why doctors don't particularly believe in this theory.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2018, 07:13:12 PM by Nas »

Vandemolen

« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2018, 07:06:19 PM »
When I was a kid my family doctor said that I had worms because I ate Nutella too much and too often. A year ago when I worms again I stopped with eating chocolat. I used to eat chocolat every night. Back then I took an anti worm pill and then it went away. Maybe also because I stopped eating chocolat. And also I use antibiotics a lot. That is also not so good for my bowels. And also bowel problems are in the family. Both my brothers have Crohns disease. Before I knew I what POIS was I thought I also had Crohn. In the hospital they looked at my bowels but they did not find Crohn.
POIS since 2000. Very bad since 2008. I knew that I have POIS since June 2010. Desensitization since March 2011. I stopped with desens in July 2016. I have 50% less POIS. And only 1 day of POIS. Purified CBD works for me, but I am allergic for CBD.

Nas

« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2018, 07:08:31 PM »

Warms??? You had warms as a kid and recently also???
This is intresting info, so again parasitic infection could couse a
lot of problems, maybe pois symptomes to etc..

Wander, could you ask your doc-is it posible to test for
parasite infection (relevant test for active infection)?
HOD I think what you're trying to conclude is that some of us are suffering from post infection chronic inflammation which is a documented phenomena and possibly a reason for POIS. Perhaps the immune system after attacking Candida or what ever finds seminal fluid similar in structure so it attacks it as well. This is common in many developed auto-immune diseases.

Limejuice

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2018, 07:33:48 PM »
Hi Arenaico, glad to hear your bad news (that you can now do something about which might cure your POIS). When I get the opportunity to write exactly how I'm treating leaky gut then I will. Haven't found a strict daily protocol where everyday and time the same supplements and foods are consumed, but right now it's more around rules of healing the intestines (such as fasting), rules of supplements (like taking on an empty stomach before a meal), and watching like a hawk which foods are ingested. Here's the rough version. Keep in mind that the protocol takes motivation and is not easy and time consuming.
Bone broth fast in the morning (broth made from grass fed or pasture raised animals do to the higher collogan content that the gut is made out of and can use to heal with), 5g of L-Glutamine 2 hours after broth consumption so the amino acid can be absobed without competing with the collogan broth, 4g Quentin 2 hrs after L-glutamine, 1 hour after take probiotic and digestive enzymes before eating leak gut friendly meal, then 2 hrs after meal take 5g of l-glutamine, 2 hrs later take digestive enzymes before leaky gut friendly meal, and then an omega 3 supplement after dinner, and finally 5g l-glutamine before bed.
Changes can be made to this like omitting a supplement or switching the time of day for taking the omega 3 or quentin.
An important note to make about the supplements is that they are in there pure form so the body doesn't compete to absorb an additional ingredient. They are also free of allergens like gluten, grains, heavy metals, molecularly distilled when appropriate, and some are free powder (no capsules) because the quantity is so high like l-glutamine and Quentin.

Just want to note that I am not a Dr and any advice or information I give about what I do only pertains to my experience. Everyone is different and different protocols and supplements may effect someone else differently. You are responsible for what you do with my information and should research and/or ask a qualified medical professional.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2018, 07:41:59 PM by Limejuice »

Limejuice

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2018, 07:50:23 PM »

Well many of these are Mast Cell stabilizers perhaps you have food allergy which activates Mast Cells allover your body. Unstable Mast Cells could be a common character of POIS. It's also why you're dealing with a leaky gut since histamines signal vascular walls to expand. The thing is, food particles are still too large to enter the blood stream even with a leaky gut. That's why doctors don't particularly believe in this theory.

Nas while I respect your opinion about how food particles are too large to fit through the tight junctions in the intestines (even with high levels of zonulin), I completely disagree and as first hand experience to being sensitive to 50+ foods for over 30 years I have a strong 'feeling' I'm not allergic to calories in general (it's that food is actually entering my body that shouldn't be there). I can only speak for me and everyone is different.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2018, 07:52:05 PM by Limejuice »

Nas

« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2018, 08:56:42 PM »

Nas while I respect your opinion about how food particles are too large to fit through the tight junctions in the intestines (even with high levels of zonulin), I completely disagree and as first hand experience to being sensitive to 50+ foods for over 30 years I have a strong 'feeling' I'm not allergic to calories in general (it's that food is actually entering my body that shouldn't be there). I can only speak for me and everyone is different.
Fair enough. I just usually think of the most probable before the improbable but yeah you could also be right.

Limejuice

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2019, 08:01:05 PM »
Update - I've begun taking MCT oil low in lauric acid (it's the worst part of medium chain triglycerides) and feel tremendous energy throughout the day on very little calories (200 calories of MCT for breakfast will provide me lasting energy until 2pm). It tastes good too and the low calorie intake means more healing in the intestine.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2019, 12:08:52 PM by Limejuice »

b_jim

« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2019, 03:03:04 PM »
i read lot of things about lauric acid. I hope your strategy will work.
Amazing gut functions.
My gut is very weak.  If i hate something cold => diarrehas. Especially in Pois.
Taurine = Anti-Pois
Lyme disease "cured" in 2020.

BoneBroth

Waterfast after POIS
« Reply #16 on: January 15, 2019, 08:21:17 AM »
POIS seems to be causing inflammation in all of the body but specifically in the gut. When the gut is inflamed it leak substances that cause more inflammation and brain fog. The immune system reacts on proteins. Therefore it might be a good idea to waterfast during one or two days after POIS to ease symptoms. Only drink water and maybe liquids that are good for the immunessystems and heal the gut. For example Vitamin C, Aloe Vera and calcium bentonite clay.

Have anyone tryed this?
« Last Edit: September 22, 2020, 03:45:07 PM by BoneBroth »

Going less Crazy

« Reply #17 on: February 15, 2019, 11:47:09 PM »
No surprise to me that somebody else is helped by a leaky gut type of diet.  I most definitely and obviously have this too.  I'd be careful with the mct oil though.  I lost feeling in my right calf for about a month after taking coconut oil.  I'd keep oils too a minimum and would just use olive oil if you were to use oil.  Coconut oil is mostly saturated fat, and their are claims that oil is actually not good for heart health.  Just my thoughts/experience.

Otoh, I have tried l glutamine before but it makes me nauseous as heck, that's why I just focus on diet.  I'm sure I have an ibd, not sure which one, but diet is the healthiest solution for me so far rather than taking a steroid or something that would dampen my immune system and increase cancer risk.
My POIS managed with Diet (@ diet that 100% manages my pois)Believe my POIS stems from inflammation in the gut. O = neuro POIS from inflammation from the gut

supps: microdose zyrtec if needed for food sens. ibuprofen for infl. as needed. Melatonin as needed. Big Pinch Black cumin  seeds once daily

BoneBroth

« Reply #18 on: April 24, 2021, 04:02:32 PM »
Any updates on your leaky gut protocol limejuice?

mike_sweden

« Reply #19 on: July 27, 2021, 05:33:41 AM »
"After an O. I can hear the rumble in my stomach."

true for me too