Author Topic: Vitamin supplementation WORKS - start taking them!  (Read 98263 times)

kurtosis

• Scientist, Engineer, INTJ type
Re: Vitamin supplementation WORKS - start taking them!
« Reply #75 on: August 09, 2012, 08:46:17 AM »
i have done the test and not pituitary tumor.
That's good. Not something you'd want to have.
One other possibility is some variation of Hartnup disorder where the body cannot absorb amino acids efficiently and they're excreted in the urine.
I had high levels of protein in my urine during one test but that doctor didn't seem to think much of it. Just asked me was I eating a lot of meat and going to the gym :)

Inability to absorb tryptophan, for example, leads to a deficiency in niacinamide (the former is converted into the latter) and a range of pellagra like symptoms including difficulty concentrating, high anxiety, possible development of schizophrenia. We know niacin can help treat this so it's plausible that some aspect of POIS symptoms is due to a niacin deficiency.

Deficiencies in other amino acids lead to low levels of catecholamines etc. Some of us seem to have constant POIS whereas others feel they recover. It's unclear whether such an illness could be episodic or exacerbated by O's. Patients improve when they take a high protein diet (through supplements or just eating lots of meat, eggs, etc.) with niacin supplementation.

LAPOISSE

« Reply #76 on: August 09, 2012, 11:18:11 AM »
It's finally seems to work.

I felt so bad yesterday after 12 days of hard POIS that I took 2 pills of some antistaminic (we call it kestin ; its made with Ebastine), 1,5g of niaciniamide(never have effect with 500mg) and had an O (telling me myself : felling that bad anyway, better to know why)

And Miraculously, I fell about 70% of my cognitive capacity(I was about 20% yesterday) and 90% physicals. I should be about 20% -50% so about -30% ; I pretty sure it's niaciniamide at that dosage.

I receive today my B-vitamine complex(no co-enzimated) and took one pills ; Should be placebo, but i feel energized. I use to take some vitamines but the dosage is very low.I'll start vitamine+Gingko+Omega3/6/9 +niacin before O+continue running every 2 days+ better diet . What do you think about relora ?

If it works, it will just my life.

Thank you guys for sharing with us those precious informations

jivetalk

« Reply #77 on: August 09, 2012, 08:48:21 PM »
Kurtosis,

Thanks for such a detailed reply.

As an update, I had an O the other night took the usual, and 200mg of Niacin. This time I didin't feel the flush. Next day, I was back to about 70-80%% of POIS reduction...So prima facie it seems that the Vitamin Regimen is assisting the Niacin effect. Time will tell.

Still feeling a bit low in energy/lazy from that episode and a bit of brain fog, so I'm going to look into the Taurine and the ACL.

Cheers,

JT

Daveman

• Administrator
« Reply #78 on: August 09, 2012, 09:02:14 PM »
LAPOISSE, Jivetalk, great, great, great!

I like the sound of what happened to you JT. Sounds like a good combo.

Perhaps the b complex will make the rules a little less stringent with the niacin.

I started with complex, but I´m in themiddle of changing BP meds, so had to let off for a little while.

Once I stabalize I'll go back to the treatment.

Maybe a week more.

The B comlex seems to clear my urine up. Clearer, lighter.

WITHOUT RESEARCH THERE WILL BE NO CURE!
Sessions 5 to 9 days, mostly Flu-like, joints, digestion problems, light cognitive.
Niacin has changed my lif though, now 1 day MAX.
Somewhere in this interaction with Niacin is the answer!

kurtosis

« Reply #79 on: August 10, 2012, 05:47:51 AM »
Kurtosis,

Thanks for such a detailed reply.

As an update, I had an O the other night took the usual, and 200mg of Niacin. This time I didin't feel the flush. Next day, I was back to about 70-80%% of POIS reduction...So prima facie it seems that the Vitamin Regimen is assisting the Niacin effect. Time will tell.

Still feeling a bit low in energy/lazy from that episode and a bit of brain fog, so I'm going to look into the Taurine and the ACL.

Cheers,

JT

I've read that taurine can be useful for those who are hyper sensitive to mono sodium glutamate in foods. The idea is that MSG affects the body's ability to produce taurine which may lead to digestive, heart, nervous and vision problems. It's interesting just how many things can create a smorgasbord of similar problems in people. Indeed, the idea of psychosomatic illnesses being diagnosed with such frequency is ridiculous when you consider how alien our diet and environment is to what it was say a hundred years ago and how much stress that's placing on our bodies. This is what convinces me that other people have variations of POIS, if we could only find the common cause then it might clear up a range of fatigue & cognitive related illnesses.

Also, one of the reasons that I like the Now b complex is that it has CoQ10 which theoretically would help neurones obtain energy in times when they're being intensely stimulated. I take CoQ10 with b6 for this reason.

Observer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #80 on: August 10, 2012, 06:27:19 AM »

I've read that taurine can be useful for those who are hyper sensitive to mono sodium glutamate in foods. The idea is that MSG affects the body's ability to produce taurine which may lead to digestive, heart, nervous and vision problems. It's interesting just how many things can create a smorgasbord of similar problems in people.

Hello kurtosis, I think there are some people(including me) who react very strongly to MSG while in POIS. Taking MSG while in POIS makes me to experience an horrible increase in POIS symptoms. I recall to experience this worsening some times just after eating Chinese food or some hot sausages. The good thing is that, I don't experience any symptoms if I don't have POIS.

Daveman

• Administrator
« Reply #81 on: August 10, 2012, 08:15:28 AM »

I've read that taurine can be useful for those who are hyper sensitive to mono sodium glutamate in foods. The idea is that MSG affects the body's ability to produce taurine which may lead to digestive, heart, nervous and vision problems. It's interesting just how many things can create a smorgasbord of similar problems in people.

Hello kurtosis, I think there are some people(including me) who react very strongly to MSG while in POIS. Taking MSG while in POIS makes me to experience an horrible increase in POIS symptoms. I recall to experience this worsening some times just after eating Chinese food or some hot sausages. The good thing is that, I don't experience any symptoms if I don't have POIS.

Me too!

And there's so much MSG in anything packaged... even if it is in a disguised form!!

Sessions 5 to 9 days, mostly Flu-like, joints, digestion problems, light cognitive.

poisioq

« Reply #82 on: August 10, 2012, 02:16:46 PM »
I have tried Hidroxil. took it for 10 days and the had an O but same symptoms as ever 
in the same time I had been taking Gingko biloba, vitamin C, and Omega3 fish oil
i didn't even feel more energized during these 10 days.
maybe the conzimated ones are actually more effective, but I don't feel for a while I will try anything more

demografx

• Administrator
  • All of us working together to defeat POIS!
10 years of significant POIS-reduction, treatment consisting of daily (365 days/year) testosterone patches.

TRT must be checked out carefully with your doctor due to fertility, cardiac and other risks.

40+ years of severe 4-days-POIS, married, raised a family, started/ran a business

0002ppdnuos

« Reply #84 on: August 10, 2012, 08:09:05 PM »
Me too!
And there's so much MSG in anything packaged... even if it is in a disguised form!!
Exactly, some of them are in disguised form that makes it harder for us to avoid the 'trap'.
It started ever since my first orgasm. It lasts exactly for 7 days. Symptoms mainly in the brain: extreme mental  fatigue, difficulty concentrating, inability to comprehend/retain what is read,shortened attention span, loss of speech fluency, cloudy mindedness, mild headache, and anxiousness

kurtosis

« Reply #85 on: August 11, 2012, 03:45:45 AM »
I have tried Hidroxil. took it for 10 days and the had an O but same symptoms as ever 
in the same time I had been taking Gingko biloba, vitamin C, and Omega3 fish oil
maybe the conzimated ones are actually more effective, but I don't feel for a while I will try anything more

There's no niacin in hidroxil it appears. Having said that I'm very surprised that all that didn't make you feel energised. It does for me so I don't know what to say.

B_Daniel

« Reply #86 on: August 11, 2012, 05:38:04 AM »
Kurtosis, lmk if u disagree w this, but for ppl trying your method, perhaps it's best if we only take the B Vitamins, Zinc + Magnesium - as these are the supplements that treat the pois. The huperzine and ginkgo biloba are used to enhance/restore cognitive function only AFTER the pois is at bay. People seem to be getting confused that the huperzine and ginkgo are pois treatments in and of themselves.

poisioq

« Reply #87 on: August 11, 2012, 07:35:45 AM »

There's no niacin in hidroxil it appears. Having said that I'm very surprised that all that didn't make you feel energised. It does for me so I don't know what to say.

man, i can only be grateful to you for sharing your recepy with us. if it doesn't work for me it's not your fault.
we are all different. i hope to find something that works for me soon

kurtosis

« Reply #88 on: August 11, 2012, 09:09:13 AM »
Kurtosis, lmk if u disagree w this, but for ppl trying your method, perhaps it's best if we only take the B Vitamins, Zinc + Magnesium - as these are the supplements that treat the pois. The huperzine and ginkgo biloba are used to enhance/restore cognitive function only AFTER the pois is at bay. People seem to be getting confused that the huperzine and ginkgo are pois treatments in and of themselves.

It's getting confusing alright, particularly with discussions on 2 websites.
The huperzine is optional. I've cut down dramatically. I've found that acetyl l-carnitine gives me the same memory boost while improving my energy levels and mood. It might have been useful to take some huperzine initially but it's not actually treating POIS. Taking it by itself does not improve my POIS symptoms dramatically.

If I just wanted to treat POIS and not try to repair, I'd take the b-complex (which has other ingredients too) and zinc at night. If your POIS symptoms are primarily cognitive (or stomach) then try ginkgo also. Ginkgo has anti-inflammatory and neuro-protective effects. It also dilates blood vessels and can help treating hypertensive anxiety.

So the minimum is b coenzymes (with niacin, ALA & CoQ10 in the "famous" Now complex I'm using), zinc & ginkgo. If you try these and it doesn't work then it's not working for you unless you have a diet which is conspicuously low in protein.

My other experience is that I seem to need a lot of protein. As I've said before, I'm lactose intolerant so I try to get my protein from meat and spirulina. I've also noticed that taurine and acetyl l-carnitine (which it's difficult to get in large quantities) give me focus and energy.
As I've said lots of times and discussed on the NSF and here, there are lots of possible hypothesis as to why this may work for me but my gut feeling is that POIS is a problem in the gut that's affecting the synthesis of everything from neurotransmitters to hormones (they're often inter-related) and it just gets worse when we O because the levels of some neurotransmitters change too quickly and we can't seem to balance. This balancing is called homeostasis and well known homeostatic illnesses include diabetes.

If this was the cause there may be multiple medical conditions that could lead to POIS like symptoms and we may not even all be suffering from the same thing but could have the same symptoms. 

The POIS diet and supplementation I'm following is similar to what I've read other people following for testosterone / oestrogen imbalances and hartnup disease. http://rarediseases.about.com/od/rarediseasesh/a/hartnup.htm
This could be pure coincidence but I've read stories of people giving up vegetarianism and veganism because of fatigue, cognitive issues and other symptoms which clearly don't affect all vegetarians but do impact on some.

Daveman

• Administrator
« Reply #89 on: August 11, 2012, 12:33:44 PM »
Quoted:

"It's getting confusing alright, particularly with discussions on 2 websites. "

That's the reason for concentrating it into only ONE.

THIS one. it's OURs. Our software, OUR owners who dedicate ONLY to POIS and aren't interested in ANY other monetary / commercial
priorities.

THIS ONE, that let's us publicize our cause.

Why divide the energy? Why complicate the discussions, why repeat, and why resist?

The movement started there, but it has outgrown the medium.

NSF may be a great science forum, but we can do everything that can be done over there (for POIS) and more. LOTs more.

« Last Edit: August 11, 2012, 12:36:02 PM by Daveman »