Author Topic: Free Flow Discussion about POIS  (Read 1002310 times)

demografx

• Administrator
  • All of us working together to defeat POIS!
Re: This may seem like a familiar place.
« Reply #1300 on: August 04, 2014, 08:18:29 PM »
WE HAD A TECHNICAL INTERRUPTION. Sorry!

PLEASE POST   "!"    IF YOU CAN SEE THIS OK.

Thanks!

Demo

10 years of significant POIS-reduction, treatment consisting of daily (365 days/year) testosterone patches.

TRT must be checked out carefully with your doctor due to fertility, cardiac and other risks.

40+ years of severe 4-days-POIS, married, raised a family, started/ran a business

Stef

« Reply #1301 on: August 04, 2014, 08:39:11 PM »
WE HAD A TECHNICAL INTERRUPTION. Sorry!

PLEASE POST   "!"    IF YOU CAN SEE THIS OK.

Thanks!

Demo

"!"

Stef

demografx

• Administrator
« Reply #1302 on: August 04, 2014, 08:44:08 PM »
Thank you, Stef!!!!
10 years of significant POIS-reduction, treatment consisting of daily (365 days/year) testosterone patches.

TRT must be checked out carefully with your doctor due to fertility, cardiac and other risks.

40+ years of severe 4-days-POIS, married, raised a family, started/ran a business

demografx

• Administrator
« Reply #1303 on: August 04, 2014, 09:15:55 PM »

Stef

« Reply #1304 on: August 05, 2014, 09:09:08 AM »
Hi Demo,

Thanks for the update. Will we be able to submit our applications for the study prior to this?

FloppyB

FB, I think Rutgers IRB has to put their stamp of approval on using human subjects for POIS research before Dr Komisaruk can accept applications.

Maybe Stef can confirm this?

Demo is correct. The paperwork for the study is still with the Rutgers IRB committee.  Dr. Komisaruk will provide the official application, once it all has been approved.

Stef
« Last Edit: August 05, 2014, 01:51:45 PM by Stef »

demografx

• Administrator
« Reply #1305 on: August 05, 2014, 07:28:31 PM »

PLEASE BOOKMARK THIS SITE:

http://tinyurl.com/ocmgfwh

As we all know, this site (poiscenter.com)

can be quirky,

so please go to this GoogleGroups site if

you ever experience any major difficulty with

this POISCenter site!

Best wishes for YOUR POIS-free future!

Demo & Daveman

« Last Edit: August 05, 2014, 07:38:14 PM by demografx »

Jimmy

« Reply #1306 on: August 06, 2014, 01:48:39 PM »
Hi all,

Good news, I've just read in the nakedscientist forum that Nathan has survived from his suicide attempt. And he is back with good will to fight again.

Let's welcome Nathan

Keep it up Nathan !

demografx

• Administrator
« Reply #1307 on: August 06, 2014, 02:15:21 PM »
Hi all,

Good news, I've just read in the nakedscientist forum that Nathan has survived from his suicide attempt. And he is back with good will to fight again.

Let's welcome Nathan

Keep it up Nathan !

Yay!

Thanks, Jimmy!

« Last Edit: August 06, 2014, 11:18:57 PM by demografx »

demografx

• Administrator
« Reply #1308 on: August 06, 2014, 04:02:38 PM »
Posted at Naked Science Forum - POIS thread:

Hello all,

As explained in my previous post, I attempted for bad thing [suicide] on 26th, after taking those tablets, I realized importance of my life and our goal to remove POIS. Fortunately, I survived from my attempt and I was in ICU for two days and now back to normal life.  Presently praying god for a good job as I lost my previous job.  Thanks for the support provided to me.  I would be back again on trying things for cure at the earliest. 

Prancer

« Reply #1309 on: August 06, 2014, 09:14:58 PM »
Posted at Naked Science Forum - POIS thread:

Hello all,

As explained in my previous post, I attempted for bad thing [suicide] on 26th, after taking those tablets, I realized importance of my life and our goal to remove POIS. Fortunately, I survived from my attempt and I was in ICU for two days and now back to normal life.  Presently praying god for a good job as I lost my previous job.  Thanks for the support provided to me.  I would be back again on trying things for cure at the earliest. 

All right!! This is awesome to hear. I'm so glad Nathan is okay, and I hope everything stays that way for him. :) Keep strong Nathan!

demografx

• Administrator
« Reply #1310 on: August 06, 2014, 11:27:45 PM »

Recovered from "The Lost Thread"! (Thanks

to Stef!!)

Dear Barry [from Demo],

I won't keep sending these but I wanted you to see the beginning of this new thread:

Pages: [1]      
 Author   Topic: Progress report re: POIS study  (Read 49 times)
Stef

Progress report re: POIS study
« on: Today at 12:45:46 AM »

Hi All,

I'm helping demo and Daveman by posting this brief progress report about the POIS study.  There's only good news!

First, Dr. Komisaruk's study is still under review with the Rutgers IRB committee, and there's just no way to speed up this process. Having administered the grant program at NORD for eight years, I can comfortably advise that this is the norm. It's the IRB approval that slows down the start of a research study (but only in the period before the study begins), and these reviews often don't go as quickly as predicted. Every detail --  every single step of Dr. K's a proposed study -- is being scrutinized by the Rutgers IRB. Questions are raised, they must be answered (via email)...changes are made, and then more questions and clarification is required...and so on -- until it's all worked out (which will happen all of a sudden!).

The IRB is charged with assuring the safety and protection of all "human subjects" -- so it has to be a very painstaking process.

Second, demo and Daveman have invited me to participate in their email discussions with Dr. Komisaruk. Having now communicated with Dr. K one-on-one, this is what I want you to know -- you men have got the most INCREDIBLE scientist/humanitarian behind you!!! Dr. Komisaruk understands the misery of POIS -- he gets it!  He absolutely cares about the suffering induced by POIS, and he understands that many (if not most) of you have had some awful experiences with physicians in the past.

Dr. K's got your back...there's not a single doubt about it.  So please try to bear with the slow-going of the Rutgers IRB approval. It will be have been worth the wait!

Third, demo and/or Daveman will be posting some paperwork at Dr. K's request -- probably in the next 24 hours. He'd like to receive some input from the group about this paperwork. One section is a personal history questionnaire, and the other is the Informed Consent.  They are both still only drafts -- under review by the Rutgers IRB -- and Dr. K. wants to know from you if you feel that the information is clear, does the personal history section basically cover the important facts, do you have any suggestions, etc.

(If I could have figured out how to attach these pages, they'd be here right now.  But IT is definitely not my strong point -- so demo and/or Daveman will post it.)

So, that's the progress to date.  It might not sound like a lot of progress -- but there is a ton of behind-the-scenes activity going on -- and there's definitely progress!

The best thing about it all is that you've got Dr. Barry Komisaruk in your corner. (It really was terrific that demo met with him -- he spoke for all of you and provided Dr. K with invaluable information about the POIS experience. Dr. K. will have your welfare at the forefront of this study.

That's it for now.  Soon you'll be hearing from one or both of your moderators.

Stay strong!

Stef

Report to moderator    32.216.68.100 (?)

sameer7777

Kik me "sameeraffandi"

Re: Progress report re: POIS study
« Reply #1 on: Today at 05:45:52 AM »

Thank you much stef !!!
It's relief to read this .
Thanks again desperately waiting for some good news ....
Take care

Report to moderator    115.186.121.120 (?)
We should intereact more plzzzzz
Kik : sameeraffandi
Twitter:@sameer_affandi
Facebook:sameeraffandi@gmail.com
Gmail: Gtalk :sameeraffandi@gmail.com
Yahoo : sameer_affandi@yahoo.com

Samir

POIS victim since 1988

« Reply #2 on: Today at 07:32:03 AM »

It has been quite a while that I have checked-in here at POIS center, but am very, very glad to hear this study is underway.  POIS has basically run my life in the last two years and I was ready to give up.  Thank you for the hope.

Report to moderator    8.30.242.101 (?)

lith65

« Reply #3 on: Today at 08:24:56 AM »

I'm so happy this is being done.  Hopefully, we'll get to the bottom of POIS and figure out WHY we have it.  More importantly, how we can cure it.

Report to moderator    50.132.126.130 (?)

Daveman
Administrator

« Reply #4 on: Today at 08:51:38 AM »

Hi all,

Sorry that I have been so "out of touch"! However I have been there in the background, especially following up with Dr. Komisaruk and in regular communication with Demo and Stef. I have had problems answering a few PMs, with some sort of technical error, that I haven't been able to sort out.

I am starting a new and rather complex business, and am now working 12 hrs. per day, 7 days per week. It's all I can do to delete spammers. BTW, if anyone sees this garbage, please PM me with the info. (press the report to moderator button).

Very exciting with the testing program development. As Stef says, there is a lot of red tape and it all has to do with making sure that 1) the testing is safe and ethical, 2) that methods are congruent with propar medical practices etc. This all helps to assure that the best possible information can be rescued from the testing "even if the results are not completely congruent with the hypothesis.

It has been evident, during Demos visit that Dr. Komisaruk and team have not been sitting on their hynies while we wait. you don't put a testing program together without making sure all your ducks are in a row. For the most part, the IRB revision, as I understand it, has more to do with your protection, and assuring precise and correct procedures for following through with a testing program. But the medical team is responsible for making sure that the procedures produce something of value for our cause. They align their specialty with what they learn about POIS. This forum and your input has helped a great deal to align the reality of POIS to the procedures that they wish to employ. Of course they are very well aware of all other POIS studies.

Of course they start with a supposition, but it is evident that they are considering as well, that even if the tests don't prove the hypothesis, that there should be information produced that will at least characterize POIS in a scientific and recognizable fashion.

That is, that at the very least, we should come out of this with something that helps show that we are not imagining this, and something that other doctors will have to appreciate.

All that said, I have to admit that I was not super enthiused about the concept, of the vagal nerving having much to do with the POIS cause. We each have our own feel for what is happening in our bodies, and certain "theories" ring truer than others. In the end there are so many different things that can cause the same symptoms, and and so many different syndromes that seem very simlar to POIS with differing root causes that it is next to impossible just based on how we feel (and several hours on internet) to know what is really going on.

I didn't see a relation for instance between the "gutural influence" of the vagus nerve and cognitive effects. But as I experience my POIS with the "vagal perspective", and see and understand more about the vagus nerve, it has become much more evident. The vagus nerve is a cranial nerve, no less!! I personally have seen how stimulation of this nerve has steadied my heart rythms for instance. I tend to have arythmias, especially during POIS (hmmm one big indicator as I understand it for vagal influence). Sometimes when these arythmias become a "bother", I massage the carotid area, near the two arteries on either side of the throat (where the vagus nerve passes), and the arythmias calm and stop, almost instantly. But the vagal nerve has a much farther reaching domain. and if I understand correctly, Dr. Komisaruk has identified regions of influence of this nerve that hadn't earlier been discovered. They may correct me if I am wrong. With fMRI, we will be able to see, changes in the brain associated to vagal effects.

In any case, whether the vagus nerve is central or not, we don't know... that is the reason for the research, however the suspicion is there and coming from someone who has a better feel than most. If it is not central, it is certainly influenced, I have no doubts about that, and if it is influenced, we should come out of this with reasons why and or how. That should be worth something!

And please, if I am not helping to make you all feel certain about a positive result, it's because only the testing can do that. It wouldn't be fair for me or anyone to tell you that this IS the solution. There does seem to be a lot of medical reasons why we are heading in a good direction though.

I am clarifying one last doubt in the documentation that we will be posting. After this post though, I will make another post with the personal history questionaire, then followed by the informed consent.

Demo has some photos he took while there as well, of the fMRI machine at least.

So work in progress. The forms and documents that we post, are all part of the begining of the program. We look for your input, and information will be processed from here on in.

« Last Edit: Today at 08:59:47 AM by Daveman »   Report to moderator    186.10.123.124 (?)
WITHOUT RESEARCH THERE WILL BE NO CURE!
Sessions 5 to 9 days, mostly Flu-like, joints, digestion problems, light cognitive.
Niacin has changed my lif though, now 1 day MAX.
Somewhere in this interaction with Niacin is the answer!

Daveman
Administrator

« Reply #5 on: Today at 09:17:51 AM »

If there are any comments let us know.

Here is one page. The other one coming.

Lets revise them first. To actually print them, right click over the image and copy URL. Later view the URL in your browser and print screen.

Sorry it's so complex. The limit for attachments is 195K.

« Last Edit: Today at 09:55:35 AM by Daveman »   Report to moderator    186.10.123.124 (?)
WITHOUT RESEARCH THERE WILL BE NO CURE!
Sessions 5 to 9 days, mostly Flu-like, joints, digestion problems, light cognitive.
Niacin has changed my lif though, now 1 day MAX.
Somewhere in this interaction with Niacin is the answer!

demografx
Administrator

« Reply #6 on: Today at 09:58:30 AM »

Quote from: Daveman on Today at 09:17:51 AM
If there are any comments let us know.

Here is one page. The other one coming.

Lets revise them first. To actually print them, right click over the image and copy URL. Later view the URL in your browser and print screen.

Sorry it's so complex. The limit for attachments is 195K.

Here is the other...
Demo

Report to moderator    23.243.21.79 (?)
Nearly POIS-free symptomatically, treatment consisting mainly of daily testosterone patches.

Please check out fertility risks carefully with your doctor if you're interested.

30+ years of severe 4-day POIS episodes, married, raised a family, started a business -

Samir

POIS victim since 1988

« Reply #7 on: Today at 10:05:52 AM »

I think it will be critical to list any other conditions that are tested and confirmed--diabetes, high blood pressure, etc.

Report to moderator    8.30.242.101 (?)

« Last Edit: August 07, 2014, 01:49:12 PM by demografx »

Nightingale

« Reply #1311 on: August 06, 2014, 11:37:40 PM »
Wonderful, wonderful!
Turmeric and Rosemary 30-45 minutes before orgasm for anti-inflammatory and immune support has helped me a lot. Faster and easier than niacin approach.

demografx

• Administrator
« Reply #1312 on: August 07, 2014, 11:11:47 AM »
:)

Myers6609

« Reply #1313 on: August 07, 2014, 03:00:11 PM »
Fantastic!

demografx

• Administrator
« Reply #1314 on: August 07, 2014, 03:11:10 PM »
Thanks , Myers!!!

And Nightingale!!!

« Last Edit: August 07, 2014, 03:46:17 PM by demografx »

demografx

• Administrator
« Reply #1315 on: August 07, 2014, 08:21:55 PM »

...at the very least, we should come out of this [POIS study] with something that helps show that we are not imagining this, and something that other doctors will have to appreciate...

...whether the vagus nerve is central or not [to POIS], we don't know... that is the reason for the research, however the suspicion is there and coming from someone who has a better feel than most.

If it is not central, it is certainly influenced, I have no doubts about that, and if it is influenced, we should come out of this with reasons why and or how.

That should be worth something!

Absolutely, Daveman!

Also, we will have established POIS as a credible medical study target -- with ***MORE POI$ funding***  possibilities -- than ever before! -- from larger government, nonprofit as well as commercial sources.

« Last Edit: August 07, 2014, 10:25:11 PM by demografx »

Prancer

« Reply #1316 on: August 07, 2014, 11:30:46 PM »

...at the very least, we should come out of this [POIS study] with something that helps show that we are not imagining this, and something that other doctors will have to appreciate...

...whether the vagus nerve is central or not [to POIS], we don't know... that is the reason for the research, however the suspicion is there and coming from someone who has a better feel than most.

If it is not central, it is certainly influenced, I have no doubts about that, and if it is influenced, we should come out of this with reasons why and or how.

That should be worth something!

Absolutely, Daveman!

Also, we will have established POIS as a credible medical study target -- with ***MORE POI$ funding***  possibilities -- than ever before! -- from larger government, nonprofit as well as commercial sources.

Yeah, really great points! :)

demografx

• Administrator
« Reply #1317 on: August 09, 2014, 03:36:13 PM »
Welcome, Shinjiro !  :)

Check out some POIS resources at our Welcome Pages:
http://poiscenter.com/forums/index.php?topic=1.msg1#msg1

demografx

• Administrator
« Reply #1318 on: August 09, 2014, 04:01:37 PM »
re-posted...

The official study name/title of our Rutgers

Orgasm Lab's

research of POISCenter volunteers:

"Is POIS a Case of Vagal Dystonia?:

An fMRI Brain Activity Analysis"

Definition of Dystonia

Dystonia is a general term used to describe a range of muscle disorders, including extended muscle spasms, contractions, tremors and other involuntary movements. The patient has twisting body movements, tremor and unusual or awkward postures. Dystonia may affect the whole body, or only a specific area or region of the body. Symptoms are often linked to repetitive or prolonged and strenuous tasks, such as writer’s cramp, or it may be observed in association with the taking of certain medications. Dystonia is considered to be a neurological condition.

More Information Online:

http://www.dystonia-foundation.org/pages/what_is_dystonia_/26.php

THE VAGUS NERVE

The vagus nerve is the longest of all our cranial nerves and creates a direct connection between our brain and our gut. Vagus means "wandering" and this important nerve travels from the brain through many parts of the body, including the heart, lungs, stomach and ears. Among its functions is to provide vital information between the brain and the gut on how the body is digesting food. It also sends messages to the gut to contract the stomach and intestines to aid in this process.
The vagus nerve has also been shown to carry signals initiated by bacteria. Staphylococcus can attack the vagus nerve and induce vomiting. Salmonella infections have been shown to affect brain activity, a connection lost when the vagus nerve is severed.

The Vagus Nerve will be the focus of the fMRI's. The Vagus nerve is hugely encompassing and connects from the brain to remote areas such as the digestive system as well as a large number of potential POIS-trouble spots!

demografx

• Administrator
« Reply #1319 on: August 09, 2014, 04:13:03 PM »
I won't be a POIS Study subject at Rutgers.

Why?

Because I would have to reduce ( perhaps temporarily eliminate!) my successful TRT POIS- treatment dramatically.)

I'm simply not willing to go back to "the bad old days of POIS"!

Hope you all understand ! :)

« Last Edit: August 09, 2014, 04:49:37 PM by demografx »