Author Topic: Hemochromatosis. Causes hypogonadism and I have that hopeful diagnosis.  (Read 67 times)

Mr Raba

Why hopeful?  Because hemochromatosis is easily treated.

There is a large symptom overlap with CFS. It may also be causing my POIS symptoms. Will see in a few weeks if treatment makes a difference.

After 27 years of this mystery illness (CFS and POIS combo) maybe a plausible explanation for it all. Hoping for potential significant relief as well.

Iron overload can affect the pituitary and multiple other organs affecting hormonal  balance.

In all the Dr. Visits I had no one measured serum ferritin. Mine was 500. Other complimentary blood iron tests confirmed my diagnosis (serum transferin)

Ferritin is a measure of iron overload. And one need not have hereditary primary hemochromatosis to have hemochromatosis.

Furthermore because hemochromatosis is rare, one is not likely to be evaluated for it.

Will keep you posted.

Will see a hematologist in a month or so and start treatment to see what happens.

Has anyone else here had their ferritin levels measured? If so what were the results?
Simultaneous onset of CFS and POIS since Feb 1993. 
Married since 1989.

Helped by Immunocal (I explained how to take in previous posts).  Significant relief day one and day two.  It affects neurotransmitters!

Scary sheep

Had mine measured a year ago. It was 77 at the time.
Symptoms last 6-7 days. Onset of muscle weakness after 30 seconds. Symptoms include: brain fog, fatigue, depression, pale skin/dark circles under eyes,  digestive problems, difficulty taking a full breath, irritability. NONE of these are present out of POIS.