Author Topic: Low cortisole  (Read 16619 times)

BoneBroth

Low cortisole
« on: May 14, 2019, 12:41:26 PM »
Has anyone investigated a cortisol/aldesterone deficiency hypothesis? According to Dr Hertoge cortiosol plays an enormous important role as a anti-inflammation substance and lack of it may cause brain fog/brain inflammation and allergies. Low adrenal function (heading towards Addisson disease) due to for example stress factors will cause low cortisol. Inflammation seems to be a key factor in POIS and Dr Hertoghe has some intresting suggestions on how to lower inflammation in his article:

https://www.thetownsendletter.com/414-cortisol-deficiency-fatigue-hertoghe-cravings-stress?rq=brain%20inflammation

Please share your comments!

Nas

Re: Low cortisole
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2019, 02:37:44 PM »

Vandemolen

« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2019, 08:03:25 PM »
My cortisol is too high. It could be one of the reasons why my testosterone is too low. On the blood results topic there were others who have high cortisol.
POIS since 2000. Very bad since 2008. I knew that I have POIS since June 2010. Desensitization since March 2011. I stopped with desens in July 2016. I have 50% less POIS. And only 1 day of POIS. Purified CBD works for me, but I am allergic for CBD.

BoneBroth

« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2019, 07:58:50 AM »
Do you recognice any of the symptos of hight cortisol? I have those marked with X. Strangly I dont know if I have low or hight. I have to test the levels somehow.

- weight gain, mostly around the midsection (X) and upper back
- weight gain and rounding of the face
- acne and skin problems (X)
- thinning skin
- easy bruising (X)
- flushed face
- slowed healing (X)
- muscle weakness
- severe fatigue
- irritability (X)
- difficulty concentrating (X)
- high blood pressure (I have low)
- headache (X)
- mood swings
- increases anxiety
- increase urination
- higher suceptibility to infections (X)
- osteoporosis
- excessive thirst

https://draxe.com/cortisol-levels/
https://www.healthline.com/health/high-cortisol-symptoms#symptoms

Signs of low cortisol

- Extreme fatigue
- Weight loss and decreased appetite
- Darkening of your skin (hyperpigmentation) (X)
- Low blood pressure, even fainting (X)
- Salt craving
- Low blood sugar (hypoglycemia)
- Nausea, diarrhea or vomiting (gastrointestinal symptoms) (X)
- Abdominal pain (X)
- Muscle or joint pains (X)
- Irritability (X)
- Depression or other behavioral symptoms
- Body hair loss or sexual dysfunction in women
- hollow face
- pigmented spots on the face (X)
- conjunctivitis (X, on POIS)
- dark circles under the eyes
- and wet palms (X, on POIS)
- lack of energy
- flu-like feelings
- a lower capacity to react well to stress (X)
- foggy feeling in the head (X)

https://www.thetownsendletter.com/414-cortisol-deficiency-fatigue-hertoghe-cravings-stress?rq=brain%20inflammation
https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/addisons-disease/symptoms-causes/syc-20350293

Vandemolen

« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2019, 07:26:51 PM »
I have these symptoms:
acne and skin problems
- thinning skin
- muscle weakness
- severe fatigue
- irritability
- difficulty concentrating
- headache
- mood swings
- increases anxiety
- increase urination
POIS since 2000. Very bad since 2008. I knew that I have POIS since June 2010. Desensitization since March 2011. I stopped with desens in July 2016. I have 50% less POIS. And only 1 day of POIS. Purified CBD works for me, but I am allergic for CBD.

BoneBroth

« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2019, 03:41:33 AM »
Yes, it seems like you have too much. Finally too much cortisol would probably wear out the adrenals and suddenly you have to llittle cortisol. Have you ben exposed to much stress?

Vandemolen

« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2019, 11:11:17 AM »
Yes, it seems like you have too much. Finally too much cortisol would probably wear out the adrenals and suddenly you have to llittle cortisol. Have you ben exposed to much stress?
I do not have stress from work or personal issuses. Only stress from being sick, POIS and bad sleep.

BoneBroth

« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2019, 08:15:09 AM »
But earlier in life? Before you developed POIS?

Vandemolen

« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2019, 05:17:47 PM »
No I did not had a lot of stress before POIS.

BoneBroth

« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2019, 04:45:29 PM »
In your previous life then??? lol

demografx

• Administrator
  • All of us working together to defeat POIS!
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2019, 06:09:12 PM »
;D
10 years of significant POIS-reduction, treatment consisting of daily (365 days/year) testosterone patches.

TRT must be checked out carefully with your doctor due to fertility, cardiac and other risks.

40+ years of severe 4-days-POIS, married, raised a family, started/ran a business

BoneBroth

Cortisole resistance
« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2019, 04:09:49 AM »
How about this therory. In POIS you are affected by inflammatory hormones that inflame the body tissue and the brain. So what does the body do in an inflammated state? It steps up the cortisol production to lower the inflammation. That means that you are exposed to higher cortisol levels every time you get POIS without any stress factor involved. In time the cortisol recepters get overstimulated and stops responding to the cortisol. You will end up with a cortisol resistance (medical name: glucocorticoids resistance). That means the inflammatory symptoms gets worse even if your cortisol levels are normal because the cortisol cannot enter the cells normaly. If you also are exposed to stress you will end up with even more cortisol in your blood. The symptoms of low and hight cortisol is much the same, because of this cortisol resiscance. I drew this conclusion when listening to Dr Eric Berg here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LhXyJCa_b-k
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ugn924mFCo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TsoYREVnVH8

So what is the sollution? Well if the cause is not stress but an excess/imbalance of another hormone (maybe prolactin/estrogen etc) then it might not seem to be a sollution just to practice stress releasing techniques in that sence, but lowering stress could have good effects on over all health and strengthen the process of removing exess of hormones in the bloodsystem.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2019, 07:23:20 AM by BoneBroth »

b_jim

« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2019, 10:52:29 AM »
Why not but long abstinence time might improve cortisol resistance ?
Taurine = Anti-Pois
Lyme disease "cured" in 2020.

BoneBroth

« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2019, 12:49:38 PM »
Absolutely! The question is how long time is needed. For most people here it takes about a week to recover from a POIS. But to recover the receptors might take much longer then that. If you have NE one time a week or more often, they might never have time to recover.

Aladin

« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2019, 12:05:14 PM »
Very interesting. I'm myself very subject to all kinds of inflammations, mainly tendinitises of all kinds (wrist, thumb, shoulder, adductors) that take disproportionate amounts of time to get healed.
Maybe others can confirm bad recovery from inflammation?

BoneBroth

« Reply #15 on: July 12, 2019, 05:59:12 AM »
See also part 2 of Dr Hertoghes article in Townsend letter with suggestions on how to increase cortisol leveles, naturally and with cortisol supplementation:
https://www.thetownsendletter.com/4156-cortisol-deficiency-hertoghe-dhea-treatment

Muon

• MCAD Thread
« Reply #16 on: July 12, 2019, 08:31:55 AM »
There is no evidence of low cortisol in poisers.

demografx

• Administrator
  • All of us working together to defeat POIS!
« Reply #17 on: July 12, 2019, 09:02:51 AM »
Wow. Where does that come from, Muon?
10 years of significant POIS-reduction, treatment consisting of daily (365 days/year) testosterone patches.

TRT must be checked out carefully with your doctor due to fertility, cardiac and other risks.

40+ years of severe 4-days-POIS, married, raised a family, started/ran a business

Muon

• MCAD Thread
« Reply #18 on: July 12, 2019, 09:37:30 AM »
Wow. Where does that come from, Muon?
What do you mean? I have said that because there are a bunch of members who have been tested for cortisol. A few of them have slightly elevated levels instead of low but not sufficient in numbers to make the link with POIS.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2019, 09:46:39 AM by Muon »

Vandemolen

« Reply #19 on: July 12, 2019, 07:55:17 PM »
My cortisol has been checked twice. Both times it was way too high.