Author Topic: Anyone have anxiety  (Read 24909 times)

Colm

Re: Anyone have anxiety
« Reply #20 on: October 19, 2013, 02:22:27 PM »
Hi Guys,

This below is an edited version of something I posted on another area on the site.

It relates to the stress response and the relaxation response. There is some credible links for Harvard / Massachusetts Gen hospital in USA where the relaxation response has been used to help with pain management and symptom reduction.

Hope it relates to the discussion here in a meaningful way.

As you probably know, one of the main reasons for anxiety is what is termed the "Stress Response". Especially in POIS. I actually studied this on a course a decade back (general anxiety and stress) through Harvard Mind Body Medical Institute (now the Benson Henry Institute at Massachussetts General Hospital in USA ).

To address and reverse this stress response and have our mind in a place where sleep is more likely, we need a "Relaxation Response" to encourage a degree of mental calm.

In medical parlance, this is basically a reversal of adrenaline, noradrenaline and cortisol in the blood stream, if I remember correctly.  Stops the fight/flight type normal human reaction to a stressor (such as in bad POIS).

Won't clear everything, but can help a bit.

While all of this you may feel wouldn't apply with your situation, it may more than you realise, however, the relaxation response needs to be practiced regularly (even ten minutes morning and night time each day) to help you sleep. After a while, it might not need twice per day. Please note I am talking symptom reducing and better feelings here, and not a cure for anything.

An online credible medical resource I am providing here for your potential review. You can visit here for more information on (see links for Stress, Relaxation Response, Physical Activity, Nutrition, & Managing Stress) Link is http://www.massgeneral.org/bhi/basics/

Relaxation / Meditation CD's on iTunes http://www.massgeneral.org/bhi/store/default.aspx

There are also, as you know, many relaxation CD's and tons of stuff on you tube for calming the mind a bit.  You need one or two you really personally like.

There are many other methods for achieving this "quieter mental state" like light Yoga, Meditation etc etc. The easy to learn one I have mentioned, The "Relaxation Response" just happens to come from a credible medical source origin "Harvard" & now "Massachusetts general hospital, USA".

For anti-anxiety, the best advice I can offer anyone (just my opinion, not fact) is to start to practice relaxing, 10 mins am, and 10 mins late pm. Build it into a habit, so that your system can slow down your thoughts, your metabolism, and hence your mind, so you can feel more like sleeping. 

The relaxation needs the practice and habit building to potentially help with POIS symptom reduction.

Relaxation always helped me a bit (with symptom reduction), but that is possibly because I personally forced myself to go through the habit of building a practice. 

Unfortunately the anxious mind, in my experience, does not always want to do practice, it wants to be in control, but you can do it, if you try.

The good Dr, Dr. Benson From Harvard Medical School Mind Body Institute ?.(who started his research studies around the Relaxation Response and basic meditation? many decades back) explains in this video link http://abcnews.go.com/video/playerIndex?id=7392433

Prancer

« Reply #21 on: May 18, 2014, 12:56:35 PM »
I'm uncomfortable making eye contact for too long. Instead, I glance to the side while talking.

sameer7777

• pls send what ever working pls thankyou
« Reply #22 on: May 18, 2014, 04:00:37 PM »
too much anxiety yes
pls don't expose me.
AFTER SEX/MASTERBATION (FLU LIKE SYMPTOMS)
1)BACK NECK PAIN GOES TO DOWN SPINE
2)NERVES LIKE SQUEEZED OUT
3)MORNING FEET NERVES PAIN
4)NASAL INFLAMMATION
5)BRAIN FOG
6)DEPRESSION
7)HIGH SUGAR LEVELS (TRIED INSULIN FOR 1 YEAR MAKE ME MORE SICK

Vandemolen

« Reply #23 on: January 03, 2020, 08:50:00 PM »
I always underestimated the role of anxiety in my POIS. I think in my case anxiety causes a lot of POIS symptoms. Here are a few:
Passing gas
Troubled intestines
Lack of sleep
After an O I can not sleep. And when I fall asleep I wake up after a few hours. When I take a nap in the afternoon on day 1 my POIS gets less worse.
Now even when not in POIS I have troubles with anxiety. When I am driving or when I am in the line at the grocery store. Also when I start with sexual activity I feel anxiety, tension. When I go to the toilet after the sexual activity there is a lot of passing gas. Showering after sex helps a bit. But on day 1 my skin is very fat, my forehead shines like there is oil on it. I read that some guys do yoga to get less anxiety. I am thinking about taking boxing lessons to get out of my comfort zone. What do you guys do to reduce anxiety?
POIS since 2000. Very bad since 2008. I knew that I have POIS since June 2010. Desensitization since March 2011. I stopped with desens in July 2016. I have 50% less POIS. And only 1 day of POIS. Purified CBD works for me, but I am allergic for CBD.

dizzy

« Reply #24 on: January 03, 2020, 10:00:54 PM »
I have anxiety too. One thing I noticed is that the anxiety goes away if I relax my jaw fully. This is not easy and requires at least 15 minutes of concentration, but the result is night and day. Anxiety is gone.
Male, INTJ. POIS symptoms: red eyes, ear-pain, anxiety, speech problems, pale/ugly skin, stiff neck, double chin, tinnitus, light sensitivity. POIS even after stimulation without O.

aswinpras06

Re: Mast Cells Activation Syndrome
« Reply #25 on: January 04, 2020, 12:02:43 AM »
Scratching the skin can activate the mast cells as per this study.

https://www.nih.gov/news-events/news-releases/scratching-skin-primes-gut-allergic-reactions-food-mouse-study-suggests

Hot/cold showers can also cause a similar result because skin is stimulated during showering.

For me shaving the face cleanly,  can give mild pois symptoms.

For Nanna1  scratching his chin can cause mild pois.  All these point out  the involvement of mast cells in our skin.

Hence once again Mast cell disorders come into play in causing our symptoms. 

Virus activation theory looks good but a viral infection cannot keep on activating and deactivating again and again and will never respond to antihistamines,TRT,niacin,taurine and other mast cell stabilizers.

dizzy

« Reply #26 on: January 04, 2020, 03:33:47 PM »
Skin seems to play a role, there was some speculation a while back about why POIS seems to be reduced during summer time for some people.
Male, INTJ. POIS symptoms: red eyes, ear-pain, anxiety, speech problems, pale/ugly skin, stiff neck, double chin, tinnitus, light sensitivity. POIS even after stimulation without O.

mike_sweden

« Reply #27 on: January 05, 2020, 03:52:02 AM »
skin does matter a lot to me

when i as born i had severe dry skin and eczema

i have started, since 6 months back, using a swedish product called "q for skin" and its a gamechanger

www.qforskin.se

it is made of black current and is miraculous for my skin

today i could not function without it

has saved my job and income

b_jim

« Reply #28 on: January 06, 2020, 03:45:06 AM »
I ate tons of apples all my life but now it seems even apples give me diarrheas. :/
So I started Fodmap diet too. Fructose seems to be an ennemy for me now :/

I'm taking probiotics now but only this week. I'm not sure taking probiotics for a long time is a good thing.

And to answer to the initial question : yes I'm a a super-anxious guy in and out of Pois !
« Last Edit: January 06, 2020, 03:47:45 AM by b_jim »
Taurine = Anti-Pois
Lyme disease "cured" in 2020.

Clues

« Reply #29 on: January 06, 2020, 05:58:49 AM »
I have POIS and some social and general anxiety as well as mild OCD.

Vandemolen

« Reply #30 on: January 11, 2020, 07:58:44 AM »
Article in Dutch about how an auto immune disease can cause depression

https://www.volkskrant.nl/wetenschap/het-ontstoken-brein-hoe-een-verstoord-immuunsysteem-tot-psychische-problemen-kan-leiden~b9a0f8bf/

Google translate it in your language.
POIS since 2000. Very bad since 2008. I knew that I have POIS since June 2010. Desensitization since March 2011. I stopped with desens in July 2016. I have 50% less POIS. And only 1 day of POIS. Purified CBD works for me, but I am allergic for CBD.

Quantum

• Administrator
« Reply #31 on: January 11, 2020, 11:37:22 AM »
Article in Dutch about how an auto immune disease can cause depression

https://www.volkskrant.nl/wetenschap/het-ontstoken-brein-hoe-een-verstoord-immuunsysteem-tot-psychische-problemen-kan-leiden~b9a0f8bf/

Google translate it in your language.

Interesting article , Vandemolen ( I do not read Dutch, but I used the new online translator, DeepL.com, that is so better than google translator or any other !).

What they describe matches the hypothesis I have written about here, that some cytokines create inflammation in the brain, and cause anxiety, depression, mood swngs, and the like ( see my posts on the kynurenine pathways). 

Here is a part of the article, translated ( with no correction, just copy and paste of what DeepL gives) :

" Incorrectly adjusted

By now it is clear that as soon as an inflammation occurs somewhere, immune cells produce cytokines, a kind of chemical messenger substances that promote their mutual communication. These cytokines can travel to the brain, where they cause miscommunications between nerve cells, especially in areas of the brain that regulate mood. Patients with autoimmune diseases persistently produce a lot of cytokines, which can do their depressing work in the brain.

Can do. After all, not all people with an autoimmune disease suffer from psychological problems. Drexhage: 'We know that the cytokine route is one of the routes from an autoimmune disease to mood disorders. But there is also another. Autoimmune diseases and part of the mood disorders have the same underlying abnormality in the immune system: it is misaligned. In one patient, these misaligned immune cells attack his own body, resulting in an autoimmune disease. In other patients, the incorrectly adjusted immune cells are mainly found in the brain. If those immune cells, called microglia in the brain, are constantly in combat mode, they have no time for their other important task: building and maintaining the brain. With the ultimate consequence: a mental disorder.

In unlucky birds, such a misaligned immune system leads to both: an autoimmune disease plus a mental disorder.

Steven Wester (47) is such an unlucky man. He has sarcoidosis, an immunologically determined inflammatory disease that attacks your own organs. It started with a pneumothorax in 2006. His job as an electrician became an impossible one. Eventually the work at the office became too hard for him. I have so little energy. I have to choose between my family and my work, because I need 12 to 16 hours of sleep'.

When he had to give up work, he became depressed by everything that had happened. At least that's what Wester said. But three years ago a psychiatrist diagnosed an autistic disorder, nothing depression.

Enlightening thought.

That's when all the pieces of the puzzle fell into place,' says Wester. I've always found it difficult to cope with stimuli. There was always the threat of panic if things turned out differently than I had thought. That was difficult, but I could live with it. Now that I have so many problems with it: sarcoidosis, fatigue, forced unemployment, my autistic disorder plays a much bigger role. I already panic when I run out of peanut butter.

That his sarcoidosis and autism are both the result of a misaligned immune system has not been proven. "But it's an enlightening thought for me. The weakness I feel psychologically feels so much like a physical thing. I feel better understood.'

In the latest large-scale European research into the immune system and mental disorders (Moodstratification), Drexhage and his European colleagues are going to intervene for the first time in (small numbers of) patients to correct the immune system and thus improve mood regulation. Subjects suffering from severe depression - in whom the immune system seems to suffer most from premature aging - will receive experimental medication against autoimmune diseases.

The effect on mood of intensive exercise twice a week is also studied. Sport is known to alleviate depression and prevent premature ageing of the immune system. Subjects with bipolar disorder - whose immune cells are probably too sharply focused because they have too little of it - are given means to stimulate the thymus to produce more immune cells.

Severe stress

A disrupted immune system can be a hereditary issue, which may or may not bother you. Or that you only get problems after a pregnancy, because the immune system is challenged even more. Or where you only suffer after severe stress due to a major setback in your life. A disturbed immune system can also be the result of a serious trauma incurred during childhood. Drexhage: 'Prolonged stress in childhood puts the immune system on edge. That has now been established. What we are actually doing with our research is making serious psychological problems biologically explicable. On a cellular level.'

That doesn't mean that a patient can't be helped with psychotherapy, Drexhage emphasizes. That can help you to be more resistant to stress. You shouldn't underestimate the effect of stress reduction, learning to relax and behavioural changes, even if there is a biological cause. I only hope that the psychiatrist will refer you to the hospital if there is a possible physical cause for the mood problems, so that they can be treated'.

The results of Moodstratification are expected in 2022. If the patients benefit from the interventions, experiments can start with really large groups of patients. It will take at least another ten years, Drexhage estimates, before psychiatric patients will benefit from these insights."

You are 100% responsible for what you do with anything I post on this forum and of any consequence it could have for you.  Forum rule: ""Do not use POISCenter as a substitute for, or to give, medical advice" Read the remaining part at http://poiscenter.com/forums/index.php?topic=1.msg10259#msg10259

demografx

• Administrator
  • All of us working together to defeat POIS!
« Reply #32 on: January 11, 2020, 03:56:45 PM »
Quantum, thanks for DeepL!
10 years of significant POIS-reduction, treatment consisting of daily (365 days/year) testosterone patches.

TRT must be checked out carefully with your doctor due to fertility, cardiac and other risks.

40+ years of severe 4-days-POIS, married, raised a family, started/ran a business

demografx

• Administrator
  • All of us working together to defeat POIS!
« Reply #33 on: January 11, 2020, 03:58:47 PM »
Thanks, Vandemolen
10 years of significant POIS-reduction, treatment consisting of daily (365 days/year) testosterone patches.

TRT must be checked out carefully with your doctor due to fertility, cardiac and other risks.

40+ years of severe 4-days-POIS, married, raised a family, started/ran a business

Vandemolen

« Reply #34 on: January 14, 2020, 07:25:34 PM »
Yes Quantum, Bjim and others posted about cytokines and inflammation in the brain. It is weird that in 2020 the mind and the body are still separated. When my family doctor said that my latest POIS like symptoms (sweating, hot flushes and bad sleep) are caused by a burnout my POIS doctor said that it only can be a burnout caused by physical problems (auto immune) and not work related. So that is why he sended me to an immunologist. I have to go there back by the end of the month.

Vandemolen

« Reply #35 on: February 21, 2020, 08:10:52 AM »
I think my anxiety is caused by bad sleep. And my bad sleep is because of a stuffy nose. When asleep I wake up a few times because I can not breathe in a proper way.