Author Topic: Could a brain injury caused by trauma lead to POIS?  (Read 863 times)

Bob Morane

Could a brain injury caused by trauma lead to POIS?
« on: September 02, 2021, 11:48:36 AM »
I had a very active healthy sexual life until I was 33 years old. Then I experienced a very traumatic event that decreased my immune system and other physiological systems. For example my heart rate went as low as 38 BPM together with depressive feelings. I became ill with a lung and urinary infection. My doctor had me on 3 different antibiotics for a one month treatment. POIS began shortly afterward. I am now 69 y. o. and POIS never went away. I have always focused on the microbiome damage from the antibiotics to explain POIS and various food intolerance that occurred just after the treatment. But recently I have been reading the work of Peter Levine on trauma and I am now wondering if POIS could be a direct consequence of trauma rather than the abx treatment. I am not convinced, I am just exploring this idea. Unresolved trauma or PTSD by itself can block a lot of normal neurohormonal responses. Anyone else had a traumatic event (including an accident or concussion or a dramatic emotional/psychological event) that may have triggered or contributed to POIS?
« Last Edit: September 02, 2021, 06:22:58 PM by Bob Morane »

Journey

• INTP, 19 y.o. aware of POIS since 2019
Re: Could a brain injury caused by trauma lead to POIS?
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2021, 01:38:30 PM »
I had a head concussion on the pavement when I was 7 years old when two older girls ran into me while I was running around on an automatic fountain thing in summer

Rollo

« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2021, 02:56:43 PM »
skiing accident in my case...did you start experiencing POIS right after the accident?
Because some people her claim to have POIS since Puberty hit them and in my case it was a bit later at 18...

Clues

« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2021, 01:45:15 AM »
Bob, a self-perpetuating immune system and autonomous nervous system dysfunction due to trauma and stress is probably my main theory right now for my own case.

When I was about 8, my parents had a messy divorce. That could be what started it. AFAIK I was completely normal as a smaller child, but was withdrawn and had attachment problems as a teenager, and I had what in retrospect appear to be early signs that my immune system was oversensitive.

In adult life, up until I've started managing it about a year ago, I've exposed myself to an abnormal amount of stress. I've worked unhealthily to the point of burning out several times, almost deliberately, and have suppressed my psychological issues.

A lot of my symptoms are AFAIK consistent with trauma, e.g. perpetually tight and tender psoas muscles.

I'm practicing Wim Hof these days, in the hope that I can recalibrate my immune system and autonomic nervous system to essentially calm down. See Wim Hof thread for my experience so far.