Author Topic: Junk food and increased hunger with POIS?  (Read 5298 times)

jdog78

Junk food and increased hunger with POIS?
« on: July 03, 2020, 05:47:41 PM »
Anyone feel like they can eat forever and crave totally crappy foods when having POIS? I want high fat, snack foods and just what I consider less healthy foods when I get symptoms. If I don't ejaculate and eat healthy I feel great/productive and have no craving for such foods. The volume of food I eat also goes down to a more "normal" level when I'm not in POIS. I suspect Dopamine as the culprit.

demografx

• Administrator
  • All of us working together to defeat POIS!
Re: Junk food and increased hunger with POIS?
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2020, 08:38:07 PM »

Anyone...crave totally crappy foods when having POIS?

Yes.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2020, 08:40:14 PM by demografx »
10 years of significant POIS-reduction, treatment consisting of daily (365 days/year) testosterone patches.

TRT must be checked out carefully with your doctor due to fertility, cardiac and other risks.

40+ years of severe 4-days-POIS, married, raised a family, started/ran a business

berlin1984

• Administrator
  • Use Adaptogens and Antioxidants, they can help.
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2020, 01:35:30 AM »
Yes.
I try to be wheat/casein free normally, but often on the day after POIS I order Pizza.
My theory about it is not only the dopamine drop but also the craving for the casamorphin and gluten exorphins..
Salt (chips/crisps) are also awesome then.

certainlypois2

« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2020, 01:58:14 PM »
Anyone feel like they can eat forever and crave totally crappy foods when having POIS? I want high fat, snack foods and just what I consider less healthy foods when I get symptoms. If I don't ejaculate and eat healthy I feel great/productive and have no craving for such foods. The volume of food I eat also goes down to a more "normal" level when I'm not in POIS. I suspect Dopamine as the culprit.

the only reason why i am overweight.

an-y-more

« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2020, 11:44:07 PM »
Do you just crave food or actually can consume more than usial without overeating feeling?
If latter. Did you happen to check out your gut health with gastroenterologist? Candida likes sugar which presented in abundance in crap food.
I use to crave more food and can eat very very much food when I have dysbiosis (what happened at least 3 times during last few years) and at these periods my tongue becomes very white.

jdog78

« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2020, 07:58:33 AM »
Interesting. Although I only feel this way in POIS otherwise I eat normal amounts and I don't crave pizza and similar foods. I would think if you have Candida it wouldn't be triggered by POIS rather it would be consistent. From others accounts with Candida they crave junk foods all the time. That said I will look into it and I'm very open minded and would love to pinpoint anything that will help provide us all with answers.

berlin1984

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2020, 07:34:15 AM »
Salt (chips/crisps) are also awesome then.

Increasing salt (and water) intake is one of the recommended treatments for chronic fatigue and related disorders.
Says Dr. Google.
https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-d&q=chronic+fatigue+salt

From others accounts with Candida they crave junk foods all the time.

I had a gut test and mouth swab done for Candida, no issues with it.
NOTE: We need to differenciate between sugar junk food and salt junk food.

Fortheraw

« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2020, 03:27:57 PM »
Yup, when in POIS, I crave anything that can give me a dopamine hit. That includes junkfood, sweetfood, chocolate peanut butter. I use to smoke alot more on pois episodes & and spend long hours playing videos games aswell. By doing nothing you feel like shit, by eating chocolates, smoking, and gaming you also feel like shit in a sense that it doesn't help you in anyways but at least the day gets by a bit quicker.
For me pois is like a huge dopamine withdrall.

Meshal

« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2021, 01:24:18 AM »
Yup, when in POIS, I crave anything that can give me a dopamine hit. That includes junkfood, sweetfood, chocolate peanut butter. I use to smoke alot more on pois episodes & and spend long hours playing videos games aswell. By doing nothing you feel like shit, by eating chocolates, smoking, and gaming you also feel like shit in a sense that it doesn't help you in anyways but at least the day gets by a bit quicker.
For me pois is like a huge dopamine withdrall.

+1, except the smoking part.

berlin1984

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2022, 08:36:04 AM »
Another data point:

We all must have noticed that ,  if we eat junk food like PIZZA after orgasm, our symptoms multiplies manifold.

But that's IMHO only if you do it before sleeping and the gut bacteria make something bad out of it.
On contrast, on next day I'm more with this:

During POIS, I crave carbs like spaghetti, pizza, lasagna…and it helps!

hurray

• Lab1
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2022, 12:55:30 PM »
Somebody new to this forum might assume that one's choice of diet is critical to whether or not they suffer from POIS. A huge percentage of posts on this forum are based upon diet.

But there doesn't seem to be much strong evidence that certain diets provide partial or complete relief from POIS. I'm playing devil's advocate here  :)

IronFeather

« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2022, 01:40:15 PM »
Somebody new to this forum might assume that one's choice of diet is critical to whether or not they suffer from POIS. A huge percentage of posts on this forum are based upon diet.

But there doesn't seem to be much strong evidence that certain diets provide partial or complete relief from POIS. I'm playing devil's advocate here  :)

I think the same. I've tried all kinds of supplements and nothing helped at all, so it's most likely not a deficiency of any nutrient (it's too specific to be that, anyway). And I eat quite healthily, only organic food, so I see no reason to think that diet plays a role. Judging by my diet, I should be healthier than almost anybody else I know, and here I am, wishing I had the health of any of my friends who live on junk food. Sure, if someone has POIS and they only eat garbage, then moving to a healthier diet will undoubtedly make them feel like there's been an improvement, because they will feel better overall. I don't doubt that. But I doubt that the underlying mechanism of POIS, whatever it is, would change much, if at all.

I think that nowadays, the way the forum is going, someone new to it is going to think one of these two things: that they have to visit a psychiatrist because it's all neurosis and anxiety, or that a FODMAP diet will fix them. I understand people are desperate and we all want relief from this curse, but I doubt anything is going to be achieved going down those routes... Just my personal opinion, of course I respect anything that people want to try, it's their body, their life and their choice after all.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2022, 01:42:21 PM by IronFeather »
26-year-old Spanish woman with POIS symptoms for the last 13 years.
Suffering from exercise intolerance since April 2020.
My case thread, with medical tests results.

hurray

• Lab1
« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2022, 08:32:37 PM »

I think the same. I've tried all kinds of supplements and nothing helped at all, so it's most likely not a deficiency of any nutrient (it's too specific to be that, anyway). And I eat quite healthily, only organic food, so I see no reason to think that diet plays a role. Judging by my diet, I should be healthier than almost anybody else I know, and here I am, wishing I had the health of any of my friends who live on junk food. Sure, if someone has POIS and they only eat garbage, then moving to a healthier diet will undoubtedly make them feel like there's been an improvement, because they will feel better overall. I don't doubt that. But I doubt that the underlying mechanism of POIS, whatever it is, would change much, if at all.

I think that nowadays, the way the forum is going, someone new to it is going to think one of these two things: that they have to visit a psychiatrist because it's all neurosis and anxiety, or that a FODMAP diet will fix them. I understand people are desperate and we all want relief from this curse, but I doubt anything is going to be achieved going down those routes... Just my personal opinion, of course I respect anything that people want to try, it's their body, their life and their choice after all.

I agree  :)

Anyone who starts eating well and exercising regularly will feel a lot better, whether or not they suffer from POIS. POIS seems to be a group of symptoms rather than a specific disease, so if I was a POIS newbie I would look for other people on the forum with similar symptoms and see what worked for them.

Progecitor

• Aphrodisiacs are effective
« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2022, 05:22:44 AM »
In my case I react to almost all the foods I eat in some way. However I can’t say there is a definite correlation. I have plenty of problems with healthy foods as well. For example eating apples or cherries can certainly increase some POIS symptoms. I rarely eat pizza, but in my opinion what determines its effect is not the pizza itself, but the type of topping. I don’t think I have particular problems POIS-wise by eating junk food. When I eat a lot of food with fats and trans fats I can develop a heart pain, which shows its ill effect on health. However if I have an O at the time this acts like a purging fire and the heart pain is shortly relieved only to be substituted by POIS symptoms. I also have the cravings then to eat whatever I can, but mostly sweet, high energy stuff. Eating normal low calorie foods just doesn’t feel satisfactory. At this time I have to be especially careful to avoid consuming anything that I have a bad reaction to otherwise. Resisting the urge may help retain mental clarity, however it doesn’t solve every issue and I tend to lose weight, which can be a problem after a while.
I guess restrictive diets may work better for those who have mixed POIS/CFS as their problems not only stem from sexual activity, but are perpetually present to some degree.
I think those who have a complete remission after a period of time would do better to preferentially test supplements specifically affecting sexual health as it could more likely result in some success.
The cause is probably the senescence of sexual organs and resultant inducible SASP, which also acts as a kind of non-diabetic metabolic syndrome.

Didi

« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2022, 09:05:20 PM »
Anyone feel like they can eat forever and crave totally crappy foods when having POIS? ...

My boyfriend POIser too
He starts to eat more and junk food. When he was abstinatyng he was very fit, run like 10 km. I do not like it very much but he uses energetic drinks with caffeine and taurine and help him morless but maybe that is not good for his health.
I read here tha someone uses taurine but in capsules.
But whe he got depressed and had some pois episodes he lost all his physical condition
Recently he had been eating less because of the tryptophan  5htp he had some stomage pain.
If you can you could try helthy food that ofers you more calories and energy. He says that potatoes gives him some relief.
He also says that sea food like ostrach, shrimps and octopus. He thinks it is because of the magnesium and selenium and zinc. Try to carry your own food in order to not eat the first you see in the street