Author Topic: Suggestions  (Read 67496 times)

Ccconfucius

Re: Suggestions
« Reply #40 on: April 27, 2011, 11:13:41 AM »
I want to say that there would be good to have a place to introduce yourself and to post your summary.
There could be an individual topic for every member, where each member to post its summary of symptoms and history, and to keep it updated, with the latest events. Something like my post regarding POIS.

The section could be named case description.

Thanks.

So you are saying it should get its own section under like general category or pois lifestyle.

emi_b

• Lab1
« Reply #41 on: April 27, 2011, 12:09:21 PM »
I want to say that there would be good to have a place to introduce yourself and to post your summary.
There could be an individual topic for every member, where each member to post its summary of symptoms and history, and to keep it updated, with the latest events. Something like my post regarding POIS.

Thanks.

So you are saying it should get its own section under like general category or pois lifestyle.

Yes, maybe POIS lifestile section.
I have cognitive, psychological and physical symptoms.
I am apologizing for my English if it is unclear.

Vincent M

• Physical overshadows cognitive symptoms. 10yrs.
« Reply #42 on: April 27, 2011, 07:00:01 PM »
At the Sexual Exhaustion forum they have a section set aside for a complete description of each member titled "Case Profiles & Logs."

They have this as a main section so it is visible from their home page. It's a place where each member updates their own personal POIS progress.

Perhaps we could throw the word "introductions" or "newcomers" in there as well so it reads "Case Profiles & Logs/Introductions" or something similar.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2011, 07:07:36 PM by Vincent Marcus »
Taking ginger tea, no wheat, fenugreek+green tea/garlic, saw palmetto, niacin, boswellia, huperzine, B complex and nutmeg. See my treatment summary post for more info: http://poiscenter.com/forums/index.php?topic=81.msg3513#msg3513

Daveman

• Administrator
« Reply #43 on: April 29, 2011, 07:57:21 AM »

Thanks.

Yes, maybe POIS lifestile section.

emi_b, you did a sort of compilation of your situation, where did you put it now?

WITHOUT RESEARCH THERE WILL BE NO CURE!
Sessions 5 to 9 days, mostly Flu-like, joints, digestion problems, light cognitive.
Niacin has changed my lif though, now 1 day MAX.
Somewhere in this interaction with Niacin is the answer!

emi_b

• Lab1
« Reply #44 on: April 29, 2011, 01:19:48 PM »
To Daveman,

I haven't looked carefully at the forum structure.
Now I realised ::)  that there is a board called Lifestyle Diary (where I posted my summary) where such a summary might fit well. But I think there might be a better option to have a specialized board called Detailed Case Description in POIS Life Style Category, where each member to have the option to post a topic with his summary at his desire. Something similar I saw on Sexual Exhaustion forum.
This might help better others find case details of all members who decided to post such a detailed description.

It is just a suggestion, and I must say that sometimes because of POIS, my thinking is deficient. :)
Brainstorming with people having POIS is interesting. :D ;)
My post with my case is in the link from the bellow signature, if that is what you asked for Daveman.

What is your opinion?
« Last Edit: April 29, 2011, 01:35:11 PM by emi_b »

Daveman

• Administrator
« Reply #45 on: April 29, 2011, 02:55:02 PM »
I moved it one level up it's here now where there's a whole topic dedicated to personal summaries. The scope of a topic is meant for collections of posts of similar characteristics. It would be overkill to have one post per topic.

I might, in the near future, create a general link directory to guide people to specific items like this and others of importance, so that it isn't as necesary to go hunting.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2011, 03:23:06 PM by Daveman »
Sessions 5 to 9 days, mostly Flu-like, joints, digestion problems, light cognitive.

emi_b

• Lab1
« Reply #46 on: April 29, 2011, 03:42:29 PM »
Thank you Daveman for clarification. I agree that for the forum your solution is better.

My first thought was to create a topic for each case were to discuss everyting related to that case, but that would mean that a lot of topics and boards from the forum would became unnecessary.

Best wishes,
emi_b

Daveman

• Administrator
« Reply #47 on: April 29, 2011, 04:06:44 PM »
Once each person has their summary written, they can always go back and edit and add to it. The ideal is to have one post per summary, more for the sake of order than anything. Also the idea is that it's not a topic for discussion, which could also clutter up the information for those who may be looking for something.

emi_b

• Lab1
« Reply #48 on: May 01, 2011, 10:17:02 AM »
Daveman,

I've tried to improve a bit topic created by you.
Please announce me of any English errors, *Edit* and post your suggestions.

Thanks.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2011, 10:23:38 AM by emi_b »

Daveman

• Administrator
« Reply #49 on: May 01, 2011, 10:27:23 AM »
Yes, I saw that. Clever, puting the "announcement first" and then your post.

But good. It's good to have some order!

Ccconfucius

« Reply #50 on: May 04, 2011, 12:58:15 PM »
Am just curious when the other forum gets bigger and starts becoming more of the focus of attention, it is going to result in NSF traffic reducing which will result in NSF loosing its ranking in search engines.  i was wondering if there is a plan for that in the future.
I know one way is to index the new site in google and also find ways to broadcast the site around the internet and also volume helps.

I remeber it took three years before NSF went up to number 1/ number 2, we cant afford that with the new forum, if it is becomes the main focus.

Daveman

• Administrator
« Reply #51 on: May 04, 2011, 02:28:14 PM »
Yes, there has been a lot of attention given to this.

This new forum has it's own code, so it's possible to apply most if not all of the Search Engine Optimizations. This will allow a much faster penetration than NSF had. The NSF situation, although NSF itself has high traffic, was a difficult Search Engine (SE) exposure project for POIS. There was no way to highlight our input and we basically had to build the numbers and transactions, almost as though we were a normal page. Being able to apply SE Optimization (SEO) permits a 4:1 advantage +/-.

Cross referencing will also be important. We expect first of all, that NSF will be around for some time, although that may involve an accompaying change in focus for each.

Also our position took time to build, it also takes time to decay. Google statistics are managed as a fairly wide sliding window. This means even if it were to stop dead now, it would have a history for some time, although clearly diminishing. In the transition we would ideally send newbies found through Google at NSF to this site.

And thirdly as you mention, we would require a mini-marketing campaign to get the new site up on as many boards and media outlets as possible. There must be a marketing expert around here somewhere. [;D]

My estimate is that a transition should ideally take about a year. It could be shorter, but it would be better to aim for the year. With the SE enhancement, and in the event of poor results, paid advertising (really not too expensvie for our requirements), we can have the same or better exposure than we have now.

One other aspect is quite importatnt. We NEED a WWW domain and hosting. These two things will be necesary to implement coordinated union of existing resources and provide a consistent and more stable entity identification.

One year of hosting with domain name has a cost of about $190. We need a volunteer!! I just can't right now. I hope to be able to take the cost over in the next year.

Thanks for asking!

Vincent M

« Reply #52 on: May 05, 2011, 03:48:36 AM »

One other aspect is quite importatnt. We NEED a WWW domain and hosting. These two things will be necesary to implement coordinated union of existing resources and provide a consistent and more stable entity identification.

Does this mean that people won't ever be able to find this newer forum through a google search? Because I've tried to find it through google before and I don't think it's even possible yet. Did you add any tag words to this site so when people type those words into google there'll be a greater chance of them finding us? BTW I have no experience with this stuff and have no clue what I'm talking about.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2011, 03:50:25 AM by Vincent Marcus »
Taking ginger tea, no wheat, fenugreek+green tea/garlic, saw palmetto, niacin, boswellia, huperzine, B complex and nutmeg. See my treatment summary post for more info: http://poiscenter.com/forums/index.php?topic=81.msg3513#msg3513

Daveman

• Administrator
« Reply #53 on: May 05, 2011, 09:02:18 AM »
At the moment this site is pretty much only found through NSF.

There has been no effort made yet to further expose this site through Google, principally because there are some preliminary things required first, like finding a permantent hosting service and a dedicated domain name (www.POIS.com for instance). Also i want to coordinate everything with a central WEB header page, which would also be under the any new domain name.

All things in place (which could be quick), One could expect strong exposure within about a year.

But for now we are strictly found thorugh NSF.

Vincent M

« Reply #54 on: May 05, 2011, 12:21:29 PM »
Have you thought of using a free forum site like zetaboards.com? I made an example of what our forum could look like on it kind of. There is one advertisement at the top of the page, but I think one is okay. Here is the example: http://s4.zetaboards.com/Test1238/index/

I named the site "Test1238". I'm pretty sure it would be able to be found through google.

Vincent M

« Reply #55 on: May 05, 2011, 12:48:26 PM »
Also if you've looked at the Sexual Exhaustion site that site is free. I just made a test forum on that site and it is easy to do so. Also I checked and if you type "sexual exhaustion" in to google the sexual exhaustion site can be found fairly easily.

Daveman

• Administrator
« Reply #56 on: May 05, 2011, 02:12:00 PM »
Also if you've looked at the Sexual Exhaustion site that site is free. I just made a test forum on that site and it is easy to do so. Also I checked and if you type "sexual exhaustion" in to google the sexual exhaustion site can be found fairly easily.

Yes, I see they show up on the second page. I figure we could be on the first page within six months, and within the first five positions on the first page within a year. The sexual exhaustion forum has been up for a good year if not more.

Your test forum can be found on google if you type in it's name in the search box, just as ours can. If you put site:http://72.52.181.21/POIS in the search box of Google, we'll show up right at the top, but that doesn't help much.

Vincent M

« Reply #57 on: May 05, 2011, 03:06:55 PM »
Okay I'll leave it you. Just wanted see if I could be of any help. If you like you can delete this interaction since I think it stems from a slight lack of knowledge on my part and the comments are just taking up space.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2011, 03:41:36 PM by Vincent Marcus »

hurray

• Lab1
« Reply #58 on: May 10, 2011, 08:52:29 AM »

One year of hosting with domain name has a cost of about $190. We need a volunteer!! I just can't right now. I hope to be able to take the cost over in the next year.

Thanks for asking!

SEO is difficult - the main thing is to have lots of unique content and backlinks. You're getting plenty of unique content, so the backlinks is all you need to worry about. Get some other sites linking to you (not forum/comment spam, real links!) and you are gold.

GoDaddy are doing 12 months hosting for $3.99 a month - $48 for a year. $11.99 for a .com address makes a grand total of $60. I don't know if the GoDaddy account would give you all the functionality that you need, though.

I would love to help with the funding - now is a bad time for me, but perhaps in a month or two.

Daveman

• Administrator
« Reply #59 on: May 10, 2011, 10:49:18 AM »

Thanks for asking!

SEO is difficult - the main thing is to have lots of unique content and backlinks. You're getting plenty of unique content, so the backlinks is all you need to worry about. Get some other sites linking to you (not forum/comment spam, real links!) and you are gold.

GoDaddy are doing 12 months hosting for $3.99 a month - $48 for a year. $11.99 for a .com address makes a grand total of $60. I don't know if the GoDaddy account would give you all the functionality that you need, though.

I would love to help with the funding - now is a bad time for me, but perhaps in a month or two.

Thanks for you input and intention hurray!

First as far as funding assistance, we have a volunteer, Willem! Thank you very much Willem. You have helped us tremendously at a pretty critical turning point.

I too would have loved to put up too, and was considering it when something blew up on me here so had to back off and rely on the good will of our users. Thanks again Willem!

I looked at GoDaddy but as you say, it's cheap, but not optimal for a number of reasons.

I have a hosting service that I trust, and that offers very very qualified and lightning service. I've been working with them for years, so in the case of emergency, they even give me extra attention.

I've worked with SEO, and it's a bit of a pain, but can help to expose and direct visibility. As you imply it's not at all a gurantee of front page in itself, but it can cut a year off the climb, and in combination with backlinking, advertising, support buttons, etc. etc. we'll be up there within a year.

I also feel as mentioned on NSF, that everything is going to start working as a whole. This forum would be nothing without NSF reference and it's very valuable users. There's a need and place for everything.