Author Topic: Psychological Component  (Read 30467 times)

COLM_2

• Global Moderator
Re: Psychological Component
« Reply #40 on: October 21, 2015, 01:39:58 PM »
Hi Prancer & Quantum,

Thanks for sharing your strategies that work for you, and keep health on an even keel.

Will try to build that discipline into the future.

This MAY be an easier strategy to adopt for slightly older guys, of which I fit into that category also.

NE's unfortunately don't allow this level of self control sadly.

Colm
Formerly user COLM (previous username accidentally deleted). Few decades with POIS.

Daveman

• Administrator
« Reply #41 on: October 21, 2015, 05:03:17 PM »
All my life, I've had a very healthy appreciation for sex. No trauma, no guilt, no fear NOTHING but good.

One the one hand, I didn't get POIS until I was 45 or so. But I had recently gotten married to a wonderful woman, who I'm still happily married to, and our sex life has been great.... despite the POIS of course.

And of course there's the Niacin treatment that has all but eliminated my POIS (as long as I take it just right).

Niacin isn't a tranquilizer, as a matter of fact it can sometimes be stressing (big flush) So I just can't see psychological affect.

Who knows, I might be one in a million. But ZERO effect psychological.
WITHOUT RESEARCH THERE WILL BE NO CURE!
Sessions 5 to 9 days, mostly Flu-like, joints, digestion problems, light cognitive.
Niacin has changed my lif though, now 1 day MAX.
Somewhere in this interaction with Niacin is the answer!

Quantum

• Administrator
« Reply #42 on: October 21, 2015, 06:24:14 PM »
Hi Prancer & Quantum,

Thanks for sharing your strategies that work for you, and keep health on an even keel.

Will try to build that discipline into the future.

This MAY be an easier strategy to adopt for slightly older guys, of which I fit into that category also.

NE's unfortunately don't allow this level of self control sadly.

Colm

Hi Colm,

I guess you are right about the no-release strategy being easier when we get older.  I think i have begun to experiment with it when i was 43 or 44 ( i am 50, currently ).  I feel it is easier not only because sex drive is a little more quiet or has become less central in the daily interests, but also because, with time, the value of the intimacy and the presence of the significant other become more important, in sex, than physical sensations.  That may be not the case for everyone as they get slightly older, but it is my experience, though.

Perspectives, values, expectations and priorities change with time.  I think it is wise to make these changes in the light of our own, specific situation. 

You are 100% responsible for what you do with anything I post on this forum and of any consequence it could have for you.  Forum rule: ""Do not use POISCenter as a substitute for, or to give, medical advice" Read the remaining part at http://poiscenter.com/forums/index.php?topic=1.msg10259#msg10259

Going less Crazy

« Reply #43 on: November 07, 2015, 05:30:02 PM »
Don't give up guys.  If you're really struggling I know something has to work for you.  Like how I found my diet to relieve POIS.  There has to be something just don't give up.

And for the original question ... Absolutely zero psych component.  I had a great childhood and it just absolutely angers me when I hear that.  It's like asking someone with cancer if there is a psych component.  Anybody can tell when I'm in a POIS state, my eyes get red, insomnia, terrible moods, its so easily identifiable and its 100% real.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2015, 05:34:29 PM by Going less Crazy »
My POIS managed with Diet (@ diet that 100% manages my pois)Believe my POIS stems from inflammation in the gut. O = neuro POIS from inflammation from the gut

supps: microdose zyrtec if needed for food sens. ibuprofen for infl. as needed. Melatonin as needed. Big Pinch Black cumin  seeds once daily

POISrival

« Reply #44 on: November 07, 2015, 09:13:51 PM »
I dont know why everyone seems to say " no its not in my head " in their answers when what i said in the original post wasnt " its all in your head "
I never said the symptoms are fake, the symptoms are real. When you get anxious, you sweat and your heart races right? Anxiety is a psychological thing and sweating is so real.
One more thing, one of the SCIENTIFIC papers that demografx sent me mentioned a case treated by psychotherapy.
Some people here on the forums experience different reactions to different types of ejaculation (NE, masturbation, sex) I never got POIS after a NE. Same semen, different reaction??
I wasnt trying to use my own original post as a basis to any theory, because i dont have one. The best i can do with my POIS is experimemting medications and get back to you guys if i found something helpful.
The original post was simply some curious questions. But i got so many irrelevant answers implying I live in tails or Im being delusional. Im neither, I live in agony that we all know what it feels, and anything that can be 0.00001% helpful to POIS is worth investigating and exploring.

Good luck everyone with our fight against POIS.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2015, 09:15:42 PM by POISrival »
POIS is my worst enemy

demografx

• Administrator
  • All of us working together to defeat POIS!
« Reply #45 on: November 09, 2015, 12:07:30 PM »

Good luck everyone with our fight against POIS.

10 years of significant POIS-reduction, treatment consisting of daily (365 days/year) testosterone patches.

TRT must be checked out carefully with your doctor due to fertility, cardiac and other risks.

40+ years of severe 4-days-POIS, married, raised a family, started/ran a business

demografx

• Administrator
« Reply #46 on: November 09, 2015, 02:35:13 PM »

I'm very happy to see this thread. I spent too many wasted years pursuing the POIS "psychological component."

Upside is that there will be far fewer cases like mine in the future -- chasing their own tails -- as we have become more scientific and since we created a forum to look at POIS as a mutual support network.
10 years of significant POIS-reduction, treatment consisting of daily (365 days/year) testosterone patches.

TRT must be checked out carefully with your doctor due to fertility, cardiac and other risks.

40+ years of severe 4-days-POIS, married, raised a family, started/ran a business

demografx

• Administrator
« Reply #47 on: November 09, 2015, 02:49:37 PM »

(Nederlands) Research done by Prof Marcel Waldinger
(ESSM) European Society for sexual medicine
http://www.essm.org/grants-and-fellowships/research-grants/previously-funded-projects/

Thank you from Rutgers!

(I passed your link above to Dr Wise and Dr K).

They were not yet aware of this study.

less_fogged

« Reply #48 on: November 09, 2015, 04:51:17 PM »
I find it a pity that we never hear news or get some feedback on the progress from the research going on in the netherlands. I guess it's the norm with strict competition/confidentiality etc...till they at least come to some conclusion.
At least we've had some news from the rutgers research and hoping for that update from NORD.

But then again will probably soon be bombarded with loads of progress updates...

Lately I've had quiet a bit of irritation at thyroid area. My doc accepted that I get a "thyroid scintigraphy" as also an "ultrasound (echo) on thyroid". After every O I'm always irritated with thyroid but with my last O this irritation/pain just seems to keep on persisting endlessly. Will see....perhaps something else is also going on now!!!

Quantum

• Administrator
« Reply #49 on: November 09, 2015, 08:42:55 PM »

(Nederlands) Research done by Prof Marcel Waldinger
(ESSM) European Society for sexual medicine
http://www.essm.org/grants-and-fellowships/research-grants/previously-funded-projects/

Thank you from Rutgers!

(I passed your link above to Dr Wise and Dr K).

They were not yet aware of this study.

Great to see there is another POIS research going on !  Two at the same time.... it may start a trend... :)

It would be interesting if some biological markers could be identified in POIS sufferers by Dr Waldinger... It could be the beginning of diagnosis criteria based on medical findings.
You are 100% responsible for what you do with anything I post on this forum and of any consequence it could have for you.  Forum rule: ""Do not use POISCenter as a substitute for, or to give, medical advice" Read the remaining part at http://poiscenter.com/forums/index.php?topic=1.msg10259#msg10259

demografx

• Administrator
« Reply #50 on: December 14, 2015, 12:15:19 AM »

Hi Dionis,

Welcome

To POISCenter.com !

Please visit our Welcome

Page:

http://tinyurl.com/lwwns6z

meatburger

« Reply #51 on: January 27, 2016, 02:15:53 AM »
This is my first ever post here, so excuse me for choosing this particular thread to post in. I have basically all of the symptoms of POIS. I also took Propecia for 11 years, which has basically led me to have a very sub par and sad life when I was a happy go lucky guy growing up. Anyway, ive constantly suffered brain fog, anxiety, fatigue, hot flushes, depression, low libido, blurry vision etc etc. Ive read heaps on Propeciahelp, ive also known about POIS for quite some time, Ive done no fap and experienced definite benefits with social relations and more energy/motivation. Normally after no fap I find I can fap maybe 2-3 times without any symptoms, then it hits me. If I masturbate more than 3x in 3 days every one thereafter will make me feel like crap.

However ive also lately started truly tackling my anxiety in the right way, and its actually surprising how when my anxiety and worry goes away and I sleep better, how much better I feel. I have started to realise that there is a huge psychological component to a lot more than I thought. One of the posters here had some good logic. Often on here and Propecia help there seems to be a huge variety of ways people have recovered. It makes it an absolute crap shoot to figure any solution out. Some are helped my Test, some by estrogen blockers, some by dopamine agonists, some by exercises.. ad infinitum. There however is one common thread between everyone, and that is they are worried about their symptoms. I totally agree that I am not psychologically averse to sex. I don't think sex is dirty or anything. However I'm primed to be watching for symptoms the second I fap, and i'll tell you one thing, watching for symptoms is the worst thing you can do. You will create what you watch for, and feed into it. When doing NoFap I do wonder how much of my success is because i'm proud of myself and Ive let my worries go.. It is plausible to me that those who truly believe they have "figured it out" and "found the cure" simply stop worrying and watching themselves so much and poof - cured.

All this being said, I like most people have for YEARS operated on the premise that there is a biological explanation for these problems. I certainly think it likely is a component too. Many people who took propecia believe their gene expression has been altered. Much of this crap does seem to be related to testosterone, dopamine and prolactin, but that's not news to anyone.

Quantum

• Administrator
« Reply #52 on: January 27, 2016, 10:48:12 AM »
This is my first ever post here, so excuse me for choosing this particular thread to post in. I have basically all of the symptoms of POIS. I also took Propecia for 11 years, which has basically led me to have a very sub par and sad life when I was a happy go lucky guy growing up. Anyway, ive constantly suffered brain fog, anxiety, fatigue, hot flushes, depression, low libido, blurry vision etc etc. Ive read heaps on Propeciahelp, ive also known about POIS for quite some time, Ive done no fap and experienced definite benefits with social relations and more energy/motivation. Normally after no fap I find I can fap maybe 2-3 times without any symptoms, then it hits me. If I masturbate more than 3x in 3 days every one thereafter will make me feel like crap.

However ive also lately started truly tackling my anxiety in the right way, and its actually surprising how when my anxiety and worry goes away and I sleep better, how much better I feel. I have started to realise that there is a huge psychological component to a lot more than I thought. One of the posters here had some good logic. Often on here and Propecia help there seems to be a huge variety of ways people have recovered. It makes it an absolute crap shoot to figure any solution out. Some are helped my Test, some by estrogen blockers, some by dopamine agonists, some by exercises.. ad infinitum. There however is one common thread between everyone, and that is they are worried about their symptoms. I totally agree that I am not psychologically averse to sex. I don't think sex is dirty or anything. However I'm primed to be watching for symptoms the second I fap, and i'll tell you one thing, watching for symptoms is the worst thing you can do. You will create what you watch for, and feed into it. When doing NoFap I do wonder how much of my success is because i'm proud of myself and Ive let my worries go.. It is plausible to me that those who truly believe they have "figured it out" and "found the cure" simply stop worrying and watching themselves so much and poof - cured.

All this being said, I like most people have for YEARS operated on the premise that there is a biological explanation for these problems. I certainly think it likely is a component too. Many people who took propecia believe their gene expression has been altered. Much of this crap does seem to be related to testosterone, dopamine and prolactin, but that's not news to anyone.

Welcome to this forum, Meatburger.

I also believe that managing our anxiety level is an effective part of what is needed in controlling POIS.  In my case, it is obvious, since anxiety is one of the emotional symptoms I get from POIS.  If my baseline anxiety level is lower, POIS will not push me as high.  If my baseline anxiety is already high, POIS will cause me to go in the "overwhelmed" level of anxiety.  Not anymore though :)

demografx

• Administrator
« Reply #53 on: January 28, 2016, 10:20:55 AM »
Welcome, meatburger, to POISCenter.com!