Author Topic: Psychological Component  (Read 29068 times)

Prancer

Re: Psychological Component
« Reply #20 on: September 15, 2015, 03:34:40 PM »
While I greatly respect Lapoisse's thinking, unfortunately for those that like "keepin' it simple", the mind actually has nothing to do with cancer. According to some of the leading cancer experts, "There is no evidence, however, that a person prevents or causes cancer based on his or her state of mind.". I've known several people (all aged 50+) that tried to cure themselves without treatment, and they are all no longer alive.

http://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/kimmel_cancer_center/news_events/featured/cancer_update_email_it_is_a_hoax.html

demografx

• Administrator
  • All of us working together to defeat POIS!
« Reply #21 on: September 15, 2015, 04:13:21 PM »
While I greatly respect Lapoisse's thinking, unfortunately for those that like "keepin' it simple", the mind actually has nothing to do with cancer. According to some of the leading cancer experts, "There is no evidence, however, that a person prevents or causes cancer based on his or her state of mind.". I've known several people (all aged 50+) that tried to cure themselves without treatment, and they are all no longer alive.

http://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/kimmel_cancer_center/news_events/featured/cancer_update_email_it_is_a_hoax.html

Exactly what they told my mother at Sloan-Kettering. She passed, but thankfully without the aid of any whacky cures. I spoke to her oncologist - not about mental cures, but in general about "alternative cancer cures". The doctor sighed and mentioned one example, a so-called carrot (eating) cure -- she only saw patients turn yellow/orange -- then died!

ps - Prancer, what's the best way to PM you, email? PM? Please let me know by PM. Thank you!
« Last Edit: September 15, 2015, 04:16:43 PM by demografx »
10 years of significant POIS-reduction, treatment consisting of daily (365 days/year) testosterone patches.

TRT must be checked out carefully with your doctor due to fertility, cardiac and other risks.

40+ years of severe 4-days-POIS, married, raised a family, started/ran a business

Pentrazemine

« Reply #22 on: September 15, 2015, 07:24:43 PM »
no one can respond to my question about whether this will be cured by the 2030's or 2040's?

i've seriously given up virtually all hope. i'm 43 years old, still a virgin, and i'm unable to enjoy the simple luxuries in life.

cure's never going to come...cures for most forms of cancer will be held before our syndrome is fixed. the problem is that we're too rare and small in the medical field. 

i'm almost on the verge of giving up.

G-man

« Reply #23 on: September 15, 2015, 09:37:49 PM »
For the last year I have been deeply exploring the possibility of POIS having to do with our individual programming. I have not found any conclusive evidence pointing one way or another. However I can report what I have learned thus far.

Programs are acquirable throughout lifetime, but most are written at a very young age, before the age of four. The programs written at this age have to do with what we believe to be real, and the events at which we formed these beliefs are something that we can remember. Examples of beliefs in real are “fire is hot”, “mom and dad are safe”, “mom should do what I want”, “walls are hard”, “I'm invisible”, “people are objects”. John C. Lilly said, “In the province of the mind, what one believes to be true is true or becomes true, within certain limits to be found experientially and experimentally. These limits are further beliefs to be transcended. In the mind, there are no limits.”

Here's the thing, we have the ability to change our beliefs and thus our programming. There are built-in programs to be sure, and some programs may be unmodifiable if they were written in a hurry in a situation in which one perceives them self to be in a life threatening situation. But for the most part, we have the ability to modify our programming, assuming the motivation to do so is present. Since most of our beliefs in real are formed before the age of four, and assuming that none of us knew what sex was at that point in time, if POIS was due to our programming, it doesn't have anything to do with sex.

Here is where things get interesting. I remember when I was three years old my mom took a picture of me in the bathtub and when we got the photo back from being developed you could see my private parts. I wanted my mom to get rid of the picture, but she refused and wanted to show my grandma. That was the first time I experienced anger. Our beliefs in real act on and only on our emotions, our emotions act on and only on our feelings, and our feelings act on and only on our thoughts/logic. It was at this moment that I wrote the program which defined what parameters or events  that would “make me mad”.

The result of this was me always insisting that things be my way, and being offended and self-righteous when people do things that I don't like. Also it resulted in me insisting that I am or trying to be more important than other people, hiding from people, being arrogant, and trying to control what other people think of me. I do not think that any of this has to do with POIS, but I will continue to keep an open mind as I learn more about the mind and programming.

In my case, I think that POIS may be due to semen leaking out of the prostate or urethra and into the surrounding tissue. I think this because when I first started masturbating, I would put enough pressure on my urethra to stop the flow when ejaculating so that I wouldn't have to clean up. This may have caused a rupture in my urethra/prostate as the semen needed to find somewhere to go. If my semen is spilling over into the surrounding tissue when I ejaculate, then having an allergic response after ejaculating wouldn't be a far fetched idea because the semen would be going to a place that it's not supposed to be.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2015, 09:40:24 PM by G-man »

demografx

• Administrator
« Reply #24 on: September 16, 2015, 01:02:11 PM »
no one can respond to my question about whether this will be cured by the 2030's or 2040's?

i've seriously given up virtually all hope. i'm 43 years old, still a virgin, and i'm unable to enjoy the simple luxuries in life.

cure's never going to come...cures for most forms of cancer will be held before our syndrome is fixed. the problem is that we're too rare and small in the medical field. 

i'm almost on the verge of giving up.

And we're on the verge of a solution!! I waited 30++ agonizing years but didn't give up -- and I finally found one that worked for me!! I, too, never thought I would see the day!

But I did.

Put on your fighting cap! (That's what I did -- including heavy involvement in the forum -- and it helped enormously).

We're all with you, Pentr!

« Last Edit: September 16, 2015, 01:06:20 PM by demografx »
10 years of significant POIS-reduction, treatment consisting of daily (365 days/year) testosterone patches.

TRT must be checked out carefully with your doctor due to fertility, cardiac and other risks.

40+ years of severe 4-days-POIS, married, raised a family, started/ran a business

demografx

• Administrator
« Reply #25 on: September 25, 2015, 12:27:48 AM »

I'm totally open to discuss about that...we can also make pokemon jokes if you prefer ; )

POISrival

« Reply #26 on: September 30, 2015, 06:04:57 PM »
The first key in medical diagonsis is looking through history. I am convinced that (or my feeling is that) POIS is not a psychological illness but nothing should be ruled out since we don't know the exact cause of POIS.
When I went throught the naked scientits forum about POIS and read some of the posts, I found out that not only at least one person have TYPICAL pois symptoms similar as mine, but also some people might have a similar Pre-pois history similar to mine. And there is a possibility too that we have similar types of personalities.
So yeah, History might be the key.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2015, 06:10:02 PM by POISrival »
POIS is my worst enemy

demografx

• Administrator
« Reply #27 on: October 04, 2015, 11:47:23 AM »
POISrival, I really like your profile!  :)

Hoping

« Reply #28 on: October 05, 2015, 12:59:34 PM »
The first key in medical diagonsis is looking through history. I am convinced that (or my feeling is that) POIS is not a psychological illness but nothing should be ruled out since we don't know the exact cause of POIS.
When I went throught the naked scientits forum about POIS and read some of the posts, I found out that not only at least one person have TYPICAL pois symptoms similar as mine, but also some people might have a similar Pre-pois history similar to mine. And there is a possibility too that we have similar types of personalities.
So yeah, History might be the key.

I can't speak to your experience, but, as others have mentioned, personal history is definitely NOT the cause of my POIS. Like many POIS sufferers, I at first assumed my reaction to orgasm was some deeply-rooted, subconscious guilt complex or something. I've explored this idea extensively in therapy with a number of different therapists. I have cultivated an incredibly healthy view of sex and sexuality and in no way experience feelings of guilt or shame. I am 110% convinced that true POIS is a physical / physiological response. The symptoms take hold like clockwork and seem to be shared by POIS sufferers across the board with some minor variation. 
Experienced POIS since 2002.
My symptoms include: brain fog, depression, physical and mental fatigue, memory problems, social anxiety, concentration problems, myalgia, inflammation.

demografx

• Administrator
« Reply #29 on: October 05, 2015, 04:26:03 PM »
I agree, Hoping!

Pentrazemine

« Reply #30 on: October 08, 2015, 06:44:40 PM »
I'm not coming back to this forum until a formal, medically approved cure or treatment becomes available. Happy tails and I do hope we'll get to see something within 5 years time.

Stef

« Reply #31 on: October 09, 2015, 06:38:36 PM »
I'm not coming back to this forum until a formal, medically approved cure or treatment becomes available. Happy tails and I do hope we'll get to see something within 5 years time.

Pentrazemine,

Poiscenter is a very serious support forum for men with POIS. The forum members have a great sense of humor, but above all else, this is THE place where men struggling with POIS can gather information.

"Support" is the most important word to describe poiscenter.

So -- good bye and good luck, and "happy tails" to you, also.

Stef
« Last Edit: October 09, 2015, 06:40:16 PM by Stef »

demografx

• Administrator
« Reply #32 on: October 09, 2015, 07:07:21 PM »
As an example support to Stef's statement: I joined POIS forums in 2007 in full-blown POIS.

As a result I was getting some "POIS relief" by joining and having others listen to me. NO ONE (including close family members, doctors, friends) understood what I was babbling on about prior to joining.

If this is not of interest to you then I believe you're on the right path by leaving.

We're all about mutual empathetic understanding of our plight. Human understanding, often on a 1:1 level.

I've enjoyed your posting.

Best wishes, pentr, for whichever way you decide to proceed. We will miss you if you decide to leave.
demo

ps - by participating in and getting more involved with POISCenter, THIS is where I also found MEDICAL TREATMENT RELIEF FOR MY HORRENDOUS POIS SYMPTOMS. Less than 2 years after joining and PARTICIPATION. Remember, you also have a lot to offer newbies and to share with older members as well.

« Last Edit: November 09, 2015, 12:12:45 PM by demografx »

Pentrazemine

« Reply #33 on: October 11, 2015, 01:53:15 PM »
So should I expect a cure or medically-approved treatment within 5-10 years time? I'm already 43 and I'm not getting any younger as time goes by.

COLM_2

• Global Moderator
« Reply #34 on: October 11, 2015, 04:29:28 PM »
Hi Pentrazemine,

I think we can all understand your desire for many answers and that you will have many questions about the outcome of research and potential for a cure.

Personally, I'd be ecstatic if a cure is on the way from this research building into further research. I would personally be dissapointed if there isn't some decent medically approved solutions within five years, but who knows. The idea of this research being completed could mean access to more funding and more specific research.

None of us knows, and in my experience, the best to hope for on the forum, by studying various shared posts, is to continue to find things that may work to reduce your own symptoms during your acute pois phase and with your specific cluster of symptoms.

Some things have helped many of us, but only by spending time to understand what could work best for us.

All the best.
Formerly user COLM (previous username accidentally deleted). Few decades with POIS.

less_fogged

« Reply #35 on: October 12, 2015, 10:53:40 AM »
Hi Pentrazemine,

I'm only 1 year younger than you and fully understand your frustration. I know how deep this illness can affect some of our lives and how hopeless things can feel, but no matter what we need to keep on going.  We all want what we see others have and wish we were better informed on how to cope with this illness when at a younger age so that we could have been better off today. But you need to focus on today and what is still possible.  The past is the past and even if you feel like you will not be able to achieve what you originally wanted too then at least the future very well could be much better than the past was. POIS is like an evil beast that wants to haunt you but don't let it get to you.

I currently have no job,messed up work history, no sex, no wife/girlfriend, no kids, I live in a tiny studio, I even prevent myself eating certain foods but still up for a fight against POIS.

As far as I know.....there are currently 2 POIS research projects underway:

(Nederlands) Research done by Prof Marcel Waldinger
(ESSM) European Society for sexual medicine
http://www.essm.org/grants-and-fellowships/research-grants/previously-funded-projects/

(USA-Rutgers University, Newark)Research done by Dr. Komisaruk and Dr. Nan Wise
Research if POIS is case of vagus nerve dystonia
Method:
Phase 1: Heart rate variability monitor (indirect indicator of state/tone of vagus nerve)
Phase 2: Vagus nerve stimulator (VNS)
Last phase: fMRI will be used

If I'm not mistaken, soon we can probably expect to get some feedback (basic report) from NORD on or after 25th of October....this was mentioned in earlier post. I'm sure one of the moderators can probably confirm my post to you.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2015, 11:36:43 AM by less_fogged »

Stef

« Reply #36 on: October 12, 2015, 11:13:34 PM »

...If I'm not mistaken, soon we can probably expect to get some feedback (basic report) from NORD on or after 25th of October....this was mentioned in earlier post. I'm sure one of the moderators can probably confirm my post to you.

That's correct, less_fogged. An interim progress report from Dr. K. is due around the end of October (this month!). NORD will send demo and Daveman a paragraph (or a few paragraphs) that Dr. K will write specifically for posting here.

Stef
« Last Edit: October 13, 2015, 09:13:46 PM by Stef »

Stef

« Reply #37 on: October 13, 2015, 06:43:59 PM »
Hi Pentrazemine,

I'm only 1 year younger than you and fully understand your frustration. I know how deep this illness can affect some of our lives and how hopeless things can feel, but no matter what we need to keep on going.  We all want what we see others have and wish we were better informed on how to cope with this illness when at a younger age so that we could have been better off today. But you need to focus on today and what is still possible.  The past is the past and even if you feel like you will not be able to achieve what you originally wanted too then at least the future very well could be much better than the past was. POIS is like an evil beast that wants to haunt you but don't let it get to you.

I currently have no job,messed up work history, no sex, no wife/girlfriend, no kids, I live in a tiny studio, I even prevent myself eating certain foods but still up for a fight against POIS.

As far as I know.....there are currently 2 POIS research projects underway:

(Nederlands) Research done by Prof Marcel Waldinger
(ESSM) European Society for sexual medicine
http://www.essm.org/grants-and-fellowships/research-grants/previously-funded-projects/

(USA-Rutgers University, Newark)Research done by Dr. Komisaruk and Dr. Nan Wise
Research if POIS is case of vagus nerve dystonia
Method:
Phase 1: Heart rate variability monitor (indirect indicator of state/tone of vagus nerve)
Phase 2: Vagus nerve stimulator (VNS)
Last phase: fMRI will be used

If I'm not mistaken, soon we can probably expect to get some feedback (basic report) from NORD on or after 25th of October....this was mentioned in earlier post. I'm sure one of the moderators can probably confirm my post to you.

Less_fogged,

I wanted to mention how inspiring your entire post is!

Stef

Prancer

« Reply #38 on: October 20, 2015, 06:58:33 PM »
No shame in that decision, Pentrazemine! It's totally understandable, especially when we've seen so much nonsense 'n quackery by both spammers and seriously deluded people over the years. But a real cure is coming, and real scientific research is happening to help us understand exactly what is causing our symptoms, and what needs to be done to remedy the situation. Some of us, like Pentrazemine, might feel more comfortable waiting it out until there is a formal cure, while others feel better exchanging ideas and information with their fellow POISers. It's all different personal preferences, no problem with any of them!

---------------

Also, to add something else, for those of us that try to avoid having an orgasm as much as possible (like myself), I have found that having sex (without orgasm) helps to alleviate a lot of the sexual frustration I feel. When we go without an orgasm we might feel frustrated, bad, whatever (I know I do). Being intimate with your girlfriend/boyfriend might help you get that feeling of sexual satisfaction after an orgasm without actually having one. It's not perfect, but it works for me at least. Plus, even if you have an orgasm, the symptoms (in my case) are not as severe. The goal is simply to remain satisfied as much as possible without causing those terrible post-orgasm symptoms. Once there is a cure, it won't matter anymore. But for now, yay sex!!

Quantum

• Administrator
« Reply #39 on: October 20, 2015, 10:32:47 PM »
Also, to add something else, for those of us that try to avoid having an orgasm as much as possible (like myself), I have found that having sex (without orgasm) helps to alleviate a lot of the sexual frustration I feel. When we go without an orgasm we might feel frustrated, bad, whatever (I know I do). Being intimate with your girlfriend/boyfriend might help you get that feeling of sexual satisfaction after an orgasm without actually having one. It's not perfect, but it works for me at least. Plus, even if you have an orgasm, the symptoms (in my case) are not as severe. The goal is simply to remain satisfied as much as possible without causing those terrible post-orgasm symptoms. Once there is a cure, it won't matter anymore. But for now, yay sex!!

Hi Prancer,

In the last 6 to 7 years, I have used that strategy quite often, and got used to live with the remaining tension, and have developed ways to let it out in sport or otherwise  ( I wish I had thought to try this many years ago, but I think I was afraid of holding in too much tension.  I must admit it took a certain time to get the hang of it, and to become good at letting the steam out in different ways, ).  This no-E strategy is possible because I have no POIS symptoms from arousal, neither from sex, unless I ejaculate, so if I have sex but do not have a release, I have no POIS symptoms at all. 

When I have first discussed this "strategy" with my wife, and then tried it a few time, she may have felt a few time that "something was missing".  Then again, we talked about it, and she couldn't stand anymore my 3 days of drastic and horrible personality changes because of a 5 seconds event, so she agreed with this "strategy", and  is now completely happy and comfortable with this compromise.   Then, we can have sex regularly without me becoming for a time an anxious and exhausted madman. 

I was so happy not to have to be ill for 3 days that having no release was not a frustration at all.  For me, 5 seconds will never be a good reason enough to stand days of physical and emotional misery.  I do not want even one more single day of that misery, because with time, this madman I was becoming could have lost his wife because of his recurrent madness.  The choice was clear for me, and I never had any regrets.  And like you have mentioned, Prancer, having sex, even with no release, has been very satisfying, and in fact, much more than before, because of not having any POIS after.

During the last years, I have still gone for a release once a month on average, as there comes a time that my ways of letting go of the sexual tension were not enough anymore.  Even If I still choose or need a release once a month, it is now easier - I can prevent and control my symptoms way better, and do not have to lose 3 days a month anymore to POIS madness because I had to let some tension out, so i'm still more comfortable and stable now.  Actually, after 37 years of POIS, I never had so few symptoms as I had this year, so few "lost days",  especially in the last 6 months, when my pre-pack got to its current, stable composition. 

And, It is thanks to this forum, that I have found a little less that a year ago,  that I have found a new motivation and new ideas to try against my POIS. It's much harder alone.  So thanks to everyone here !  :)

« Last Edit: October 20, 2015, 10:45:21 PM by Quantum »
You are 100% responsible for what you do with anything I post on this forum and of any consequence it could have for you.  Forum rule: ""Do not use POISCenter as a substitute for, or to give, medical advice" Read the remaining part at http://poiscenter.com/forums/index.php?topic=1.msg10259#msg10259