Author Topic: Desensitization/Doctors in the U.S.?  (Read 8087 times)

overcome

• Spring is here.
Desensitization/Doctors in the U.S.?
« on: December 24, 2012, 03:30:53 PM »
New member. I have pois and was wondering if anyone is doing desensitization with a doctor in the US.? If so could you please give me the name/contact of your doctor? I'm really hoping someone is because going to Europe is more than a little inconvenient right now. I live in Boca Raton, FL. I saw an allergist in my area a couple of times but he basically said he wasn't convinced by Dr. Waldinger's papers and had ethical reservations about doing the desensitization treatment. Thanks!
I have both physical and psychological symptoms for about 6 days. Muscle soreness, pain in the prostate and warmth in the pelvic area, fatigue, lack of motivation, irritability, confusion, inability to focus, forgetting obligations, difficulty communicating, difficulty interacting with others.

demografx

• Administrator
  • All of us working together to defeat POIS!
Re: Desensitization/Doctors in the U.S.?
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2012, 05:04:34 PM »
What were the ethical concerns? Thank you.
10 years of significant POIS-reduction, treatment consisting of daily (365 days/year) testosterone patches.

TRT must be checked out carefully with your doctor due to fertility, cardiac and other risks.

40+ years of severe 4-days-POIS, married, raised a family, started/ran a business

overcome

• Spring is here.
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2012, 03:34:58 PM »
Thank you for responding! He had two. First that he didn't want to be working with body fluids because of the risk of disease etc. Second because he didn't have enough info about the procedures, he said he did not want to treat me like a lab rat. He did say though that he would be willing to try to treat me if I could get the specific allergen from a lab somewhere (that is the specific component of semen that I am allergic too instead of just unprocessed semen). Correct me if I am wrong but I don't think anyone even knows what specific component of semen we are allergic too anyway.

On the bright side he did suggest I try zyrtec, which has been helping but is not a cure.
I have both physical and psychological symptoms for about 6 days. Muscle soreness, pain in the prostate and warmth in the pelvic area, fatigue, lack of motivation, irritability, confusion, inability to focus, forgetting obligations, difficulty communicating, difficulty interacting with others.

Egordon

« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2012, 03:28:05 AM »
Hi Overcome,

I'm receiving desensitization treatments in California but my doctor is reluctant to take on additional POIS patients prior to finishing my treatment. I'll be sure to ask him when we're a bit further along.

But, really, my advice to you would be to seek a doctor who's working in a bigger city -- and is thereby more likely to have treated a broader range of ailments -- or one who's affiliated with some sort of university. The objections of the doctor that you spoke with seem rooted in his/her circumscribed practice and experience. I consulted a few allergists and it seemed that, while none of them had heard of POIS, many had treated individuals for (things like) allergies to their partners' sperm and were comfortable working with bodily fluids. In fact, it seems to me that it would be somewhat difficult to treat autoimmune disorders without some willingness to deal with bodily tissue and fluids. In any case, I'd guess that big city doctors are less likely to be conservative with regard to treatment. If I were you, I'd try to see an established and well regarded practitioner in Miami. Anyone worth their salt would at least perform an allergy test on you.
POIS since I was about 15. 1.75 years of desens and I'm now about 80% POIS free. Still working through best practices for maintaining my immunity and administering my injections with my doctor. Email me if you have tips or questions!

Vandemolen

« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2012, 06:39:43 PM »
Yes, it's true. They don't know the specific component of semen which causes the allergic reaction. My doctor who does the desens in The Netherlands said that would be easier because then you don't have to produce semen, which causes POIS, for the desens.

I can't help you with a doctor in the US, but I think there are more forum members from the US. Good luck!
POIS since 2000. Very bad since 2008. I knew that I have POIS since June 2010. Desensitization since March 2011. I stopped with desens in July 2016. I have 50% less POIS. And only 1 day of POIS. Purified CBD works for me, but I am allergic for CBD.

overcome

• Spring is here.
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2013, 10:40:24 PM »
@Egordon :
Thanks, I tried your suggestion and visited an allergy doctor in Miami today. He is also not convinced by Dr. Waldiger's papers and wants me to visit a urologist. He suggested that I may have prostatitis and that the fatigue and other symptoms are just the result of the condition being exacerbated by ejaculation.

I don't know how likely this is to be true, but the good thing is that he said if the urologist doesn't find anything wrong with my prostate he would try a a skin prick and patch test.

So we'll see.

Egordon

« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2013, 03:58:01 PM »
@Egordon :
Thanks, I tried your suggestion and visited an allergy doctor in Miami today. He is also not convinced by Dr. Waldiger's papers and wants me to visit a urologist. He suggested that I may have prostatitis and that the fatigue and other symptoms are just the result of the condition being exacerbated by ejaculation.

I don't know how likely this is to be true, but the good thing is that he said if the urologist doesn't find anything wrong with my prostate he would try a a skin prick and patch test.

So we'll see.

Hey overcome,

I'm sorry the process is taking so long for you, but at least you're experiencing a little progress. Hopefully you'll be able to get allergy tested within the next month! When they do the test, make sure they go up to at least a 1:5 dilution. It's important because many of us don't react to skin tests at low dilutions (1:30,000, for instance) -- I, for example, didn't get an affirmative positive until  i was injected with 1(part semen):5(parts solution).
POIS since I was about 15. 1.75 years of desens and I'm now about 80% POIS free. Still working through best practices for maintaining my immunity and administering my injections with my doctor. Email me if you have tips or questions!

Vandemolen

« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2013, 06:30:36 PM »
I don't know if a high dillution like 1:5 is smart to do. Because of the increase of a shock. If you don't react on a normal skin pri.ck test you can ask for a higher dillution. But ask the doctor, he knows best.
POIS since 2000. Very bad since 2008. I knew that I have POIS since June 2010. Desensitization since March 2011. I stopped with desens in July 2016. I have 50% less POIS. And only 1 day of POIS. Purified CBD works for me, but I am allergic for CBD.

Ccconfucius

« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2013, 03:53:58 PM »
overcome if smaller dilutions dont react, try to go all the way to 1:1.  i did my test at 1:1.

Egordon

« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2013, 03:22:21 AM »
Hey Van,

I agree. I meant he should go up to 1:5 if he isn't reacting at higher dilutions. But, yeah, no doctor should begin an allergy test at a dilution that low.

overcome

• Spring is here.
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2013, 11:36:08 PM »
If anyone is still interested, the urologist has since decided that "these symptoms are not the result of a urological problem." I will be calling the allergist from Miami next week to tell him and hopefully he will test me for pois now.

overcome

• Spring is here.
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2013, 01:47:24 PM »
The allergist still says he's not convinced and says I should try another urologist. He has made it pretty clear that he is not willing to treat me or even test me for pois. What a waste of my time and $.

demografx

• Administrator
  • All of us working together to defeat POIS!
« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2013, 08:49:38 AM »
The allergist still says he's not convinced and says I should try another urologist. He has made it pretty clear that he is not willing to treat me or even test me for pois. What a waste of my time and $.

It would be interesting for us to know his medical reasons why he is not willing to do desensitization.

Maybe we can learn something!
10 years of significant POIS-reduction, treatment consisting of daily (365 days/year) testosterone patches.

TRT must be checked out carefully with your doctor due to fertility, cardiac and other risks.

40+ years of severe 4-days-POIS, married, raised a family, started/ran a business

Egordon

« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2013, 07:38:13 PM »
That's shitty Overcome. I'm sorry.

If you don't mind my asking, did you take him any papers (formal research papers, newspaper articles, or anything else) on POIS? I've found that it really helps overcome their skepticism once they see that POIS is widely acknowledged as real and that it's being worked on by respected researchers.

overcome

• Spring is here.
« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2013, 11:42:39 AM »
Egordon,

I did bring him all three of Waldinger's papers. His issue wasn't that he didn't believe I was sick, so much as he just didn't buy the allergy to semen theory.

Maybe I can ask him some time soon for an explanation of why. I do know that I took an Ige test and it said I was unlikely to have any allergies, so I'm sure that's part of it.

overcome

• Spring is here.
« Reply #15 on: April 27, 2013, 11:46:50 AM »
demografx,

Yeah, I will go ahead and ask him his medical reasoning and post what he says as soon as I can.

Daveman

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: June 01, 2013, 06:43:41 PM »
Egordon,

I did bring him all three of Waldinger's papers. His issue wasn't that he didn't believe I was sick, so much as he just didn't buy the allergy to semen theory.

Maybe I can ask him some time soon for an explanation of why. I do know that I took an Ige test and it said I was unlikely to have any allergies, so I'm sure that's part of it.

The jury really is out on all of this.

There really has been no recognized research on this subject yet.

I'd go with your allergist for the time being.
WITHOUT RESEARCH THERE WILL BE NO CURE!
Sessions 5 to 9 days, mostly Flu-like, joints, digestion problems, light cognitive.
Niacin has changed my lif though, now 1 day MAX.
Somewhere in this interaction with Niacin is the answer!