Author Topic: Low Histamine Diet  (Read 28828 times)

Nightingale

Low Histamine Diet
« on: November 07, 2012, 06:29:01 PM »
I'm interested in starting a diet low in histamine.  I have found some website with lots of suggestions of what NOT to take, but I'm still looking for some site that has a meal plan.  Anyone know a good website?  Anyone else interested in trying this out?
Turmeric and Rosemary 30-45 minutes before orgasm for anti-inflammatory and immune support has helped me a lot. Faster and easier than niacin approach.

Ccconfucius

Re: Low Histamine Diet
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2012, 10:36:56 PM »
am interested in doing the diet and combining it with mast cell stabilizer and nadh/ribose, and l methionine like kurtosis is saying.
i will start researching to.

kurtosis

• Scientist, Engineer, INTJ type
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2012, 05:01:50 AM »
I'm interested in starting a diet low in histamine.  I have found some website with lots of suggestions of what NOT to take, but I'm still looking for some site that has a meal plan.  Anyone know a good website?  Anyone else interested in trying this out?

I don't. There's a website called the lowhistaminechef which seems reasonable but I have not tried any of the recipes.
It rules out a lot of food but then again I got a headache, sinus pain or stomach upset with a lot of food. Especially, cheese, beer, wine, tea and chocolate.

So I don't drink alcohol and try to stay away from chocolate and any fermented drink, including tea. Someone gave me kombucha once and it made me extremely sick. They had told me it was a health drink but I felt as nauseous as if I'd been drinking vodka all night :)

This diet may be helping my recovery. I don't know.

kurtosis

« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2012, 05:39:15 AM »
You should really read http://data.aerzteblatt.org/pdf/DI/103/51/a3477e.pdf
Some great information there about histamine levels in foods, what to avoid and treatment options.
I'm trying to find companies which make synthetic DAO products for regular use. I will continue with methionine supplementation and I'll modify my diet to remove anything on the list I didn't realise was problematic.

Daveman

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2012, 06:49:58 AM »
Some great information there about histamine levels in foods, what to avoid and treatment options.
I'm trying to find companies which make synthetic DAO products for regular use. I will continue with methionine supplementation and I'll modify my diet to remove anything on the list I didn't realise was problematic.

I think the diet is more important than we realize. Now that I / we are a little more in tune, I've noticed how, when I feel a little worse, (even outside of POIS), that I had eaten something higher in histamines.

Each thing may have a small effect that you don't really connect when you're not thinking about it, but summed together, they probably make a big difference. And my bet is that it would improve especially those who are in constant POIS.

It's NOT the cure but it certainly stands to help.

I remember I started making graphs of "how I felt" against activities, food, exercise, etc, and when you document, you see a lot more than when you just leave it to "chance" and go by memory. A detailed and conscious adjustment can make a lot of difference AND give insights into what's happening to your body.

WITHOUT RESEARCH THERE WILL BE NO CURE!
Sessions 5 to 9 days, mostly Flu-like, joints, digestion problems, light cognitive.
Niacin has changed my lif though, now 1 day MAX.
Somewhere in this interaction with Niacin is the answer!

Daveman

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2012, 06:51:19 AM »
am interested in doing the diet and combining it with mast cell stabilizer and nadh/ribose, and l methionine like kurtosis is saying.

I would REALLY be interested in seeing your results!!

Sessions 5 to 9 days, mostly Flu-like, joints, digestion problems, light cognitive.

kurtosis

« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2012, 07:47:30 AM »

I think the diet is more important than we realize. Now that I / we are a little more in tune, I've noticed how, when I feel a little worse, (even outside of POIS), that I had eaten something higher in histamines.

Each thing may have a small effect that you don't really connect when you're not thinking about it, but summed together, they probably make a big difference. And my bet is that it would improve especially those who are in constant POIS.

It's NOT the cure but it certainly stands to help.

I remember I started making graphs of "how I felt" against activities, food, exercise, etc, and when you document, you see a lot more than when you just leave it to "chance" and go by memory. A detailed and conscious adjustment can make a lot of difference AND give insights into what's happening to your body.

There is one salient difference between allergies and histamine intolerance (produced by either methylation or deamination issues. The allergy will be obvious whenever you consume the allergen. The latter is cumulative. The feelings of illness come about from having too much histamine in your system and consuming a food or doing an activity (such as having an orgasm) that increases it will bring about the symptoms.

There are 4 histamine receptors so even if the h3 blockers worked and were combined with h1 and h2 blockers, there may still be affects on mood because of h4 receptors. It's complicated. If this is the problem behind POIS then reducing histamine levels is necessary whether through stabilisers, synthetic DAO or methylation increasers. 

I don't think it's possible to block all the negative effects with inverse agonists. Even if someone was mostly better from h3 and h1 blockers, they may have stomach problems from h2. So imagine they're taking 3 kinds of anti-histamine (not a great idea itself) but have mysterious symptoms from h4 with, perhaps, even more H4 action because histamine can't bind to the other antagonised receptors. Not good.

Ccconfucius

« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2012, 11:37:40 AM »

am going to modify this by replacing nadh and methionine with sam e.   

kurtosis

« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2012, 12:13:29 PM »

am going to modify this by replacing nadh and methionine with sam e.   

I've found both NADH and methionine versus SAM-e to be comparable. NADH and methionine seems to work a little bit better but it's difficult to judge.
Vitamin C can destroy histamine also. I find capsules are better at reducing an allergic reaction than the effervescent stuff which sometimes makes me feel a bit sick. If you can't get DAOSIN (which is expensive) then popping a 500mg vitamin C capsule after an O may have a similar effect but I doubt it's as effective as DAO will directly clear up all nasty histamine in your gut.
Still, you can get a good quality vitamin C capsule with flavonoids for cheap. Flavonoids are anti-oxidants and may reduce histamine-releasing reactions in the body. So that's a double win.

It's worth comparing post O Vit C versus methionine to see which has a better effect for you.
Note, please do not take Vitamin C immediately after NADH. It will just destroy the NADH.

Nightingale

« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2012, 04:06:20 PM »
So I went to the grocery store today, and I realized that this is going to be a real challenge for me.  My current diet/food plan is to buy frozen meat/vegitables in bulk, and cook them all at one time so I can use the leftovers throughout the week.  The problem is that the less fresh your food is, the more it is going to increase your histamine.

I'm in trouble if I am going to change this, as I struggle with motivation throughout my life because of the never ending POIS feelings and the mental illness I have developed over the years.  There are so many things I don't do that I should be, like cleaning the giant mess of clothes on my closet floor or getting my homework done for classes.  Cooking daily is just gonna be rough.

I'm not one to give up easily though, and if I get a good few days in of this diet maybe I will feel well enough to continue at that pace.!!!
Turmeric and Rosemary 30-45 minutes before orgasm for anti-inflammatory and immune support has helped me a lot. Faster and easier than niacin approach.

Ccconfucius

« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2012, 06:26:47 PM »
I feel u , cooking Is  time consuming
I did paleo diet it is also strict
Best solution was baking  can cook and do other things ,,

Daveman

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2012, 12:20:18 PM »
So I went to the grocery store today, and I realized that this is going to be a real challenge for me.  My current diet/food plan is to buy frozen meat/vegitables in bulk, and cook them all at one time so I can use the leftovers throughout the week.  The problem is that the less fresh your food is, the more it is going to increase your histamine.

I'm in trouble if I am going to change this, as I struggle with motivation throughout my life because of the never ending POIS feelings and the mental illness I have developed over the years.  There are so many things I don't do that I should be, like cleaning the giant mess of clothes on my closet floor or getting my homework done for classes.  Cooking daily is just gonna be rough.

I'm not one to give up easily though, and if I get a good few days in of this diet maybe I will feel well enough to continue at that pace.!!!

Maybe you can do all the chopping, cleaning pre-preparation and put things in separate baggies, if not once per week at least maybe only twice.

Then at meal time just throw it all together to cook it.

Ccconfucius

« Last Edit: November 12, 2012, 01:06:37 PM by CertainlyPOIS »

Starsky

• NDL_Group
« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2012, 01:07:13 PM »
If someone found a way to increase DAO without DAOsin suplementation so I would really be thankfull. I would buy The Low Histamine Diamine Oxidase Support Cookbook from the site above but i dont have a credit card...  :(

kurtosis

« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2012, 02:37:19 PM »
If someone found a way to increase DAO without DAOsin suplementation so I would really be thankfull. I would buy The Low Histamine Diamine Oxidase Support Cookbook from the site above but i dont have a credit card...  :(

I contacted the lowhistaminechef and it seems the histrelief product she was taking won't make it to the market as the microbiologist who helped diagnose the illness is seriously ill and has effectively retired from medical practice and company.
The other way to reduce histamine is the methylation route. So that's either rmethionine / SAM-e or
methylated b vitamins with the possibility it's a MTHFR genetic mutation problem. Shipping costs to my country for stuff like thorne methyl-guard are crazy.
I need to do some research to find a good supplier.

Starsky

• NDL_Group
« Reply #15 on: November 12, 2012, 02:47:58 PM »
Kurtosis i tried DAOsin but I get kind of allergic reaction after taking it, rash on my skin in the belly area and stomach pain. They say its hypoallergic but i think my body see the enzyme like a foreign protein because it is from swine not human.

nomore2013

« Reply #16 on: November 12, 2012, 11:20:07 PM »
i tried histame, and didnt notice any relief from minor symptoms, but after eating a large, but histamine-free  meal, and hour or two later, symptoms got worse. it could have been the meal, it could have been the symptoms coming and going randomly.

the bottle says "warning: this product is not effective with immune system-based food allergies, or with peanut, wheat, gluten allergy symptoms."

kurtosis

« Reply #17 on: November 13, 2012, 07:33:32 AM »
i tried histame, and didnt notice any relief from minor symptoms, but after eating a large, but histamine-free  meal, and hour or two later, symptoms got worse. it could have been the meal, it could have been the symptoms coming and going randomly.

the bottle says "warning: this product is not effective with immune system-based food allergies, or with peanut, wheat, gluten allergy symptoms."

That just means it's not designed to treat a reaction to a substance that you're allergic to as opposed to something that contains high levels of histamine.
I've never eaten a histamine free meal myself.

kurtosis

« Reply #18 on: November 13, 2012, 07:55:45 AM »
Kurtosis i tried DAOsin but I get kind of allergic reaction after taking it, rash on my skin in the belly area and stomach pain. They say its hypoallergic but i think my body see the enzyme like a foreign protein because it is from swine not human.

How many times have you taken it? It's more likely, based on the chemistry, that the result you're feeling is histame actually working and converting histamine into an aldehyde which your body may not be used to clearing in such large quantities.
Specifically, from Schwelberger's article on the metabolism of histamine.

Diamine Oxidase uses molecular oxygen to oxidatively deaminate histamine to imidazole acetaldehyde, ammonia and hydrogen peroxide

Imagine that we have really high levels of histamine and have been living with it for years. It's really unlikely we'd just take a pill and everything would normalise with no discomfort. Remember, when I first started taking methionine I did so with the anti-fungals. I had one of the worst weeks of my life in terms of stomach pains and headaches and then.. it improved dramatically...

NAD is a co-factor in clearing acetaldehyde so taking some NADH may improve things.

Why do you think that you're getting a reaction to a hypoallergenic enzyme and why do you think that the porcine origin of synthetic DAO is a problem?

Starsky

• NDL_Group
« Reply #19 on: November 13, 2012, 08:04:34 AM »
Dont know a got some acne type spots on my abdomen area, it look like my body wanted to get rid of something. And I got 2 days POIS after taking it. Because POIS means histamine realease so such feeling would mean i got an allergic reaction to it.. Im afraid to try it again because it was so unpleasent, but the reaction i got was not immediately but after 5 hours.