0 (0%)
Education
7 (7.4%)
Sports (as work)
1 (1.1%)
N/A
25 (26.6%)

Total Members Voted: 88

Author Topic: POIS by Profession  (Read 30995 times)

kurtosis

• Scientist, Engineer, INTJ type
Re: POIS by Profession
« Reply #20 on: July 31, 2012, 02:52:22 AM »
I have 2 jobs. One is engineering and the other is "people-facing" and part-time.
I think the engineering link is only there because
1) we're smart enough to realise there's a problem & studied science in college
2) engineering requires abstract thought and concentration, meaning we'd notice cognitive affects more immediately
3) this is an internet forum and most of us did a lot of googling & research before we ever got here. 

0002ppdnuos

« Reply #21 on: July 31, 2012, 06:31:08 AM »
3) this is an internet forum and most of us did a lot of googling & research before we ever got here. 
Honestly, I've been searching for 20 years before I got here.
It started ever since my first orgasm. It lasts exactly for 7 days. Symptoms mainly in the brain: extreme mental  fatigue, difficulty concentrating, inability to comprehend/retain what is read,shortened attention span, loss of speech fluency, cloudy mindedness, mild headache, and anxiousness

Daveman

• Administrator
« Reply #22 on: July 31, 2012, 08:03:41 AM »
I have 2 jobs. One is engineering and the other is "people-facing" and part-time.
2) engineering requires abstract thought and concentration, meaning we'd notice cognitive affects more immediately

Yes, polls can be very misleading and are even used to sway opinion using the right “slant”. Valid polls need a ton of “qualification”…. Surveys, which are a collection of poll questions, are much better at cross referencing and filtering “the truth”. Again, depending on the results desired.  ;D
WITHOUT RESEARCH THERE WILL BE NO CURE!
Sessions 5 to 9 days, mostly Flu-like, joints, digestion problems, light cognitive.
Niacin has changed my lif though, now 1 day MAX.
Somewhere in this interaction with Niacin is the answer!

Ccconfucius

« Reply #23 on: July 31, 2012, 11:32:42 AM »

Yes, polls can be very misleading and are even used to sway opinion using the right “slant”. Valid polls need a ton of “qualification”…. Surveys, which are a collection of poll questions, are much better at cross referencing and filtering “the truth”. Again, depending on the results desired.  ;D

we also need bigger population.

demografx

• Administrator
  • All of us working together to defeat POIS!
« Reply #24 on: July 31, 2012, 11:32:54 AM »
Tantalus, progesterone made me sick so I stopped.
10 years of significant POIS-reduction, treatment consisting of daily (365 days/year) testosterone patches.

TRT must be checked out carefully with your doctor due to fertility, cardiac and other risks.

40+ years of severe 4-days-POIS, married, raised a family, started/ran a business

demografx

• Administrator
« Reply #25 on: September 03, 2012, 05:58:28 PM »
Amazingly high incidence of engineers!

And gmails!! ;D
10 years of significant POIS-reduction, treatment consisting of daily (365 days/year) testosterone patches.

TRT must be checked out carefully with your doctor due to fertility, cardiac and other risks.

40+ years of severe 4-days-POIS, married, raised a family, started/ran a business

demografx

• Administrator
« Reply #26 on: September 03, 2012, 05:59:31 PM »

poisioq

« Reply #27 on: September 11, 2012, 05:51:26 PM »
IT field

demografx

• Administrator
« Reply #28 on: September 11, 2012, 11:41:58 PM »

Can you imagine all those people who DON'T know they have POIS ??

Wotta nightmare. I know. It took me YEARS AND YEARS before I identified it as "POIS " - there was no name for it back when I got it during the Civil War :)

demografx

• Administrator

demografx

• Administrator
« Reply #30 on: September 12, 2012, 12:27:50 AM »

market researcher

kurtosis

« Reply #31 on: September 12, 2012, 03:21:13 AM »

market researcher

Hence the name and the love of graphs :)

demografx

• Administrator
« Reply #32 on: September 12, 2012, 11:13:47 AM »
Haha!!!  ;D ;D ;D

kurtosis, you're eerily beyond perceptive! ;D

Alien in our midst???? ;D

demografx

• Administrator
« Reply #33 on: September 12, 2012, 11:15:50 AM »
kurtosis, my name goes back to the day when AOL had 9-digit-max usernames only :)

kurtosis

« Reply #34 on: September 12, 2012, 12:11:28 PM »
kurtosis, my name goes back to the day when AOL had 9-digit-max usernames only :)

Cool. Yes, I remember the screen name size limits but I didn't stay with AOL for long.
No, probably not an alien but you never know :)

demografx

• Administrator
« Reply #35 on: September 12, 2012, 12:52:34 PM »
Sounds like you beat A-O-Hell...I wasn't smart enough.

Nightingale

« Reply #36 on: October 11, 2012, 01:32:48 PM »
I was unable to finish college because of POIS/depression.  But I was really into biopyschology/neuropsych.  The science of happiness and morality were particularly interesting to me.

Now, I attend community college and I'm pursuing an associates in Information Technologies.  My best bet to becoming independent.  I am on disability welfare because I qualify with my psychiatric history.  I work part time at the front desk of a local gym, and when I'm lucky I'm a Standardized Patient, simulating illnesses at my local medical school!  Such a cool job!

I make just a little money on the side taking photographs for friends.  Photography is a fun hobby :)
Turmeric and Rosemary 30-45 minutes before orgasm for anti-inflammatory and immune support has helped me a lot. Faster and easier than niacin approach.

Andy451

• Connect & Fight :)
« Reply #37 on: November 03, 2012, 01:28:52 PM »
I have a feeling that most of us are in a similar career area. Not sure what influence this could have over the cause of our POIS, but interesting anyways to see how we are divided.

I was on track for an ecology career, yet had to drop out of school due to the brutal symptoms of POIS (both physical and mental). Full time work and/or school is just not manageable at this stage in my life with POIS. Before dropping out of the ecology program, I had considered multiple science and medical based careers.

We have been smart enough to navigate the world and discover our own illness because there is little to no help in mainstream society, hence we are probably forced to use high levels of deductive and inductive reasoning on regular basis making us more inclined toward math and science based careers. Yet, it is also true that people who are naturally inclined to solve more complex problems than others would work as diligently as humanly possible in finding answers to those problems while perhaps being more effective than most others. In short, we probably do think differently about problems than most people because of our unique experiences with POIS.

Nightingale, from looking at just our two quotes there seems to be a possibility many similarities in experience.
37 yo M- POIS for 25yrs (since age 12). Chronic POIS- always there

Tried desensitization for 1.5yrs & was unsuccessful (POIS worse at 1/1000)

Exercising- (running/weights/situps) Low sugar diet. Supplements- limited success.Meds- Oxcarbazepine/Buspar (past-Depakote10yrs)

Daveman

• Administrator
« Reply #38 on: November 03, 2012, 05:03:07 PM »
I like you Alex Grey Avatar. I have enjoyed the insight of  many of his paintings.
WITHOUT RESEARCH THERE WILL BE NO CURE!
Sessions 5 to 9 days, mostly Flu-like, joints, digestion problems, light cognitive.
Niacin has changed my lif though, now 1 day MAX.
Somewhere in this interaction with Niacin is the answer!

Andy451

• Connect & Fight :)
« Reply #39 on: November 03, 2012, 05:37:04 PM »
Thanks Daveman, I'm a huge fan of Tool (band) and find their music very uplifting and transcendent at times of need. Alex Grey has done some work for their albums as you may know, they are very complementary of each other.

"I know the pieces fit cuz I watched them fall away" --Tool  ;)
37 yo M- POIS for 25yrs (since age 12). Chronic POIS- always there

Tried desensitization for 1.5yrs & was unsuccessful (POIS worse at 1/1000)

Exercising- (running/weights/situps) Low sugar diet. Supplements- limited success.Meds- Oxcarbazepine/Buspar (past-Depakote10yrs)