Author Topic: Crowdfunding POIS research  (Read 3870 times)

Muon

• MCAD Thread
Crowdfunding POIS research
« on: October 13, 2020, 03:13:15 PM »
Food for thought: Crowdfunding for future POIS studies could be set up. Creating a continuous buffer of money.

I've looked at a few websites like gofundme. They all support creditcard. There is no option for bank transfer or paypal. Creditcards are not common outside of the US, at least not in Europe. Despite that we could still set one up for donation via creditcards. Or perhaps people are aware of other websites. Crowdfunding websites also differ in that it restricts donations from certain countries to certain target countries. Thoughts?

demografx

• Administrator
  • All of us working together to defeat POIS!
Re: Crowdfunding POIS research
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2020, 04:48:08 PM »
Comparing The Top Online Fundraising And Crowdfunding Platforms
https://www.crowdfunding.com/

I noticed that Facebook charges $0 payment fee to nonprofits. But if that only includes Facebook users, that would limit us.

Others on the above list charge around 3%. As a comparison, POISCenter paid $3,500 to organize our current project. But that was an administrative fee that included far more than just donation processing.

One of my concerns: recruiting POIS researchers on our own without outside help. Even with a massive database and name recognition it was extremely difficult finding the current team. Our small research budgets and historical “published” status in the research world are not always enough to easily find the talent we need.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2020, 11:09:20 AM by demografx »
10 years of significant POIS-reduction, treatment consisting of daily (365 days/year) testosterone patches.

TRT must be checked out carefully with your doctor due to fertility, cardiac and other risks.

40+ years of severe 4-days-POIS, married, raised a family, started/ran a business

berlin1984

• Administrator
  • Use Adaptogens and Antioxidants, they can help.
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2020, 05:16:29 AM »
I'd appreciate if donations could be made kind-of-anonymous.

Regarding money amount: Maybe cross-posting in "nofap" groups could help to generate a more sizable amount.

demografx

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2020, 11:03:43 AM »

Agreed!
10 years of significant POIS-reduction, treatment consisting of daily (365 days/year) testosterone patches.

TRT must be checked out carefully with your doctor due to fertility, cardiac and other risks.

40+ years of severe 4-days-POIS, married, raised a family, started/ran a business

demografx

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2020, 11:06:00 AM »
Muon, belated thanks for opening this important conversation!

Muon

• MCAD Thread
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2020, 11:34:53 AM »
It can.

One is restricted to collect money in the same currency as the currency what is used in the country of the organizer as far as I know but I could be wrong about that. Someone from the USA could set up an account, since most credit card donations will come from that country which also means less extra costs for switching currency, most patients are from the USA and bank transfer is possible for USA residents within the USA. One could set up a donation page, money will be stored by the website and they can transfer it directly to a researcher.

A page on this forum can be set up where a researcher can react on it if he/she is interesting in the sum of money for POIS research. And if nobody reacts you can use it for a potential follow up study for the current researchers.

There is also an option for people who don't own a credit card to buy a virtual prepaid creditcard for one time use. I'm pretty much burned out at this point. Good luck to anyone who wants to execute this idea.

Muon, belated thanks for opening this important conversation!

It's probably in vain but at least the idea is there.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2020, 12:22:49 PM by Muon »

amstro

« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2021, 10:16:44 AM »
Has there been any progress in this direction?
We could create an association and try to get one full time association worker and physician giving teleconsultations.

I believe that POIS is massively undereported and that if we offer an easy way to get diagnosed and try a treatment, we'll get a lot of people.

On the payment method, we'd need to accept pretty much everything (credit cards, bank transfers and crypto), potentially using different providers to do so. We could also ask donations from people who we refer to the full time physician working on the disease.
Anonymity is paramount.
If there were such association, I'd commit 50k$ in crypto.

demografx

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2021, 04:26:33 PM »
Has there been any progress in this direction?
We could create an association and try to get one full time association worker and physician giving teleconsultations.

I believe that POIS is massively undereported and that if we offer an easy way to get diagnosed and try a treatment, we'll get a lot of people.

On the payment method, we'd need to accept pretty much everything (credit cards, bank transfers and crypto), potentially using different providers to do so. We could also ask donations from people who we refer to the full time physician working on the disease.
Anonymity is paramount.
If there were such association, I'd commit 50k$ in crypto.

amstro, thanks for this major expression of  commitment! The admin team is thinking about this and I encourage other members to do likewise.

demografx

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2021, 03:03:07 AM »
amstro, just in case you weren’t already aware, we have raised $34,500 plus a Family Foundation grant that is currently in process to study POIS.
https://poiscenter.com/forums/index.php?topic=3006.400

amstro

« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2021, 03:42:09 PM »
amstro, thanks for this major expression of  commitment! The admin team is thinking about this and I encourage other members to do likewise.
Nice I'd definitely support that. From what I currently saw (I've been lurking for quite sometimes before posting), the current volunteers are great but you can only go so far with only "hobbyist" (if we can call it that way) contributions.
Note that I'm quite busy in my work life so I don't have time to create that myself and can only contribute financially.

amstro, just in case you weren’t already aware, we have raised $34,500 plus a Family Foundation grant that is currently in process to study POIS.
Is there any other fundraising project at the moment?

demografx

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2021, 04:38:03 PM »
Nice I'd definitely support that. From what I currently saw (I've been lurking for quite sometimes before posting), the current volunteers are great but you can only go so far with only "hobbyist" (if we can call it that way) contributions.
Note that I'm quite busy in my work life so I don't have time to create that myself and can only contribute financially.

Is there any other fundraising project at the moment?

No, not at the moment. It’s taken us several intense years to get to this point.

I started the process here in 2007!