Author Topic: Sleeping Pills for POIS?  (Read 5364 times)

biocentric

• Lab1
Sleeping Pills for POIS?
« on: September 20, 2015, 04:54:07 PM »
Hi

Since sleep cures POIS (the more sleep the better), has anyone tried using sleeping pills to aid the POIS situation?
(5-10 sleeps normally cures POIS?)

For example... Im thinking if you O'd on a Friday evening at 8.00pm, then took sleeping pills to sleep from 8pm on Fri to 2pm on Sat
Then if slept again 8pm Sat to 2pm on Sunday... on Monday you may feel better because you have had far more sleep over the weekend than normal?
(maybe avoid the pills on the sunday night to feel more fresh on the Monday)

thoughts?
« Last Edit: September 20, 2015, 04:59:14 PM by prism »

demografx

• Administrator
  • All of us working together to defeat POIS!
Re: Sleeping Pills for POIS?
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2015, 07:14:13 PM »
I've almost always used "oversleeping" as a POIS treatment...until I got into trouble with habituation to Rx sleeping aids...so I stopped. Instead, I simply rest more. If sleep comes -- great, but I no longer dare force the issue. And now, I mostly just rely on my main physician-monitored treatment. Greedy to be 100% POIS-free doesn't work for me.
10 years of significant POIS-reduction, treatment consisting of daily (365 days/year) testosterone patches.

TRT must be checked out carefully with your doctor due to fertility, cardiac and other risks.

40+ years of severe 4-days-POIS, married, raised a family, started/ran a business

Quantum

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2015, 08:35:48 AM »
Hi

Since sleep cures POIS (the more sleep the better), has anyone tried using sleeping pills to aid the POIS situation?
(5-10 sleeps normally cures POIS?)

For example... Im thinking if you O'd on a Friday evening at 8.00pm, then took sleeping pills to sleep from 8pm on Fri to 2pm on Sat
Then if slept again 8pm Sat to 2pm on Sunday... on Monday you may feel better because you have had far more sleep over the weekend than normal?
(maybe avoid the pills on the sunday night to feel more fresh on the Monday)

thoughts?

Hi biocentric,

It would have been quite impossible for me to use this strategy in the last 20 years or so, with a business to run ( pharmacies are also opened on week ends ! ) and kids having a basketball game, a dance lesson, or any other activity.

In those circumstances, I have tried to go to bed earlier at night, and avoid any demanding activity in the day.  Well, I am sure I have appeared sometime a bit "anti-social" to the other parents, sitting silently beside the lines at a basketball game, but staying quiet on my chair was the next best alternative to stay in bed and rest.  When I had to work, green tea ( in the form of commercial iced green tea at first,, and later as green tea extract capsules) has been what I have used for so many years.  I wasn't at my best, but could manage to go through my day at work, at the least.  That, and my long time helper, magnesium tablets.   They have been my two sole weapons against POIS for years.   

Now, as I have shared, the range of products I use for prevention and control have increased a lot. 

Obviously, I have always tried to avoid release when i knew I had to work a lot in the following days or had another important activity.

You are 100% responsible for what you do with anything I post on this forum and of any consequence it could have for you.  Forum rule: ""Do not use POISCenter as a substitute for, or to give, medical advice" Read the remaining part at http://poiscenter.com/forums/index.php?topic=1.msg10259#msg10259

Prancer

« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2015, 07:51:14 PM »
Sleeping is what works best for minimizing my symptoms, not a true cure though sadly.
I don't really agree with "the more sleep the better"...if I get too much I have a hard time falling asleep the next night.
Since I often have trouble getting to sleep at a good time, I usually take 5mg of a melatonin sup, and sometimes 50mg of diphenhydramine (the OTC sleep aid).
So far I haven't found anything better at reducing my POIS symptoms other than sleep. Just speaking for myself of course.

PS: Congrats to demo on his 2,000th post!
« Last Edit: September 23, 2015, 07:52:46 PM by Prancer »

biocentric

• Lab1
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2015, 12:14:17 PM »
Thanks

Im going to try some over-the-counter 50mg Diphenhydramine Hydrochloride from the chemist.

less_fogged

« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2015, 03:52:41 AM »
I've previously been through phases of using sleeping pills in the past. I have some between my meds for when I absolutely need them. It can help but still got to be careful. One day years back someone told me they can cause you to develop alzheimer's when you get older. I hereby came accross interesting recent article.

http://www.theguardian.com/society/2015/jan/27/sleeping-drugs-increased-risk-alzheimers

But then again, sometimes I wonder if we'd ever get to old age with all this stress inside us.

demografx

• Administrator
  • All of us working together to defeat POIS!
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2015, 07:57:16 AM »
Sleeping is what works best for minimizing my symptoms, not a true cure though sadly.
I don't really agree with "the more sleep the better"...if I get too much I have a hard time falling asleep the next night.
Since I often have trouble getting to sleep at a good time, I usually take 5mg of a melatonin sup, and sometimes 50mg of diphenhydramine (the OTC sleep aid).
So far I haven't found anything better at reducing my POIS symptoms other than sleep. Just speaking for myself of course.

PS: Congrats to demo on his 2,000th post!

Thanks, Prancer!

6 years ago, when I had open heart surgery, the hospital gave me 2 OTC Benadryl at night  to help me sleep -- it worked! So I continued that but then I progressed to stronger stuff as mentioned above in earlier post. I never needed anything before that surgery to ever get to sleep (including naps), so now, since habituation crept in to stronger sleep meds, I'm down to the minimum doctor-recommended dose (including oneTylenol).

My goal is to get back to "zero meds" for sleep.

The Rx's can cause memory loss! See this interesting list -- it goes beyond sleeping aids:
http://tinyurl.com/nz92cpg

« Last Edit: September 30, 2015, 10:41:45 AM by demografx »
10 years of significant POIS-reduction, treatment consisting of daily (365 days/year) testosterone patches.

TRT must be checked out carefully with your doctor due to fertility, cardiac and other risks.

40+ years of severe 4-days-POIS, married, raised a family, started/ran a business

Vandemolen

« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2019, 03:51:14 PM »
I am allergic to Temazepam. I only took 10 pills in a year. Just when I needed it (waking up very early for a flight). Temazepam gives me hives. And then I can not sleep for two weeks or more. All sleeping pills have hives as a side effect (as far as I know). So I was wondering if there is a natural way to sleep better.

I already use Melatonin (don’t help), magnesium and kalium. I never tried Valerian. Does that help? Are there more natural things that helps?

I also shut down my tv, phone and tablet an hour before going to sleep. Then I read a book. In the state where I am in now, with hives, it does not help much. And I also try to excersise a bit.

Before I had hives sleeping was a problem too. Hard to fall asleep and I wake up in the middle of the night or very early in the morning. And then it is hard to fall asleep again. When I wake up I feel cold and in a POIs state. POIS also messes up with my sleep. I only have sex before the weekend. Then I wake up very late. The next night I have problems to fall in sleep because I woke up so late.
POIS since 2000. Very bad since 2008. I knew that I have POIS since June 2010. Desensitization since March 2011. I stopped with desens in July 2016. I have 50% less POIS. And only 1 day of POIS. Purified CBD works for me, but I am allergic for CBD.

Labyrinth

« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2019, 05:28:25 AM »
Thank you for the important topics
Now i use zopiclone it is structurally simila to benzo but not addictive with promethazine to relax
POIS of 10 yrs now

Wolf berry

« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2019, 03:10:19 PM »
I have tried Bendryl, Xanax, Melatonin to help me sleep during pois. It works but bad for POIS symptoms.

Vandemolen

« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2022, 07:19:16 PM »
I found out that sleeping pills gave me an allergic reaction. My nose and throath gets dry, then I get a running nose. I also get depressed. So I decided to stop with taking sleeping pills.
POIS since 2000. Very bad since 2008. I knew that I have POIS since June 2010. Desensitization since March 2011. I stopped with desens in July 2016. I have 50% less POIS. And only 1 day of POIS. Purified CBD works for me, but I am allergic for CBD.