Author Topic: Chronic Fatigue Syndrome vs POIS -- Similar but Very Different!  (Read 4834 times)

Stef

Hello All,

Daveman and Demografx have suggested that it might be helpful to address the issue of Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (CFS) vs POIS. 

CFS is mentioned quite a bit on both forums, and some of you have been given a CSF diagnosis (likely by well-meaning physicians who have no knowledge of POIS). So, it's probably really worthwhile to separate the two conditions out -- because they are entirely separate and different -- despite some similarities in symptoms.

NORD has a great report on CFS, which is where I'm getting my information from.  I trust the information, know who wrote it, and know that it's accurate and up-to-date.

To begin, CFS is a real disorder and, like POIS, is not a psychiatric condition. It affects somewhere between 1 to 4 million people in the US (so it's not considered "rare" in the US anymore), and also affects more women than men, statistically.

CFS appears to be less common overseas but definitely exists worldwide. The possibility that it is less common overseas may be more of a reporting requirement issue than the actually reality, particularly in those countries that do not have the resources and/or reporting requirements of the US.

There are  three major broad criteria now used to diagnose CFS. (It had become apparent that CFS was being over-diagnosed, as its symptoms mimic some symptoms of other disorders.) These criteria were determined by an international group of physicians brought together by the Centers for Disease Control in the US:

(1) The individual must have severe chronic fatigue of six months or longer duration AND have no other known medical conditions that are known to cause fatigue  (i.e no hypothyroidism, diabetes, malnutrition, cancer, HIV, etc);

(2) Concurrently, the individual must have four or more of the following symptoms:
  --   substantial impairment in short-term memory or concentration;
  --   sore throat; tender lymph nodes;
  --   muscle pain;
  --   multi-joint pain without swelling or redness;
  --   headaches of a new type, pattern or severity;
  --   unrefreshing sleep;
  -    post-exertional malaise lasting more than 24 hours.

(3) The listed symptoms (above) must have persisted or recurred during six or more consecutive months, and must not have been present prior to the onset of the chronic fatigue.

So, there are some symptoms that are very similar to those of POIS, but -- THE BIG, MAJOR DIFFERENCE is that CFS is not induced by ejaculation, sexual stimulation, tumescence, or dry ejaculation.  CSF is not associated in any way with ejaculation.

Scientists think that either a virus or an immunological issue is involved in CSF. Also, there is some serious data that suggests  that pro-inflammatory cytokinines may be involved.  (Cytokinines usually help with inflammation -- but pro-inflammatory ones have been discovered -- and they cause the inflammation).

There are some excellent immunologists studying pro-inflammatory cytokinines, and they will be among the researchers who NORD invites to apply for your grant for POIS research, once the funds have been raised.  The focus will be -- of course -- strictly POIS, and not any other disorder.  Based on experience with all rare disorders and start-up research grants (which can sometimes lead directly to the answer!), looking "outside the box" is the key to unlocking the door.

I hope that this post is helpful to some or all of you!

Willem

Re: Chronic Fatigue Syndrome vs POIS -- Similar but Very Different!
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2011, 12:46:21 PM »
Very interesting.  Thanks Stefanie!

berlin1984

• Administrator
  • Use Adaptogens and Antioxidants, they can help.
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2020, 08:03:46 AM »
To begin, CFS is a real disorder and, like POIS, is not a psychiatric condition. It affects somewhere between 1 to 4 million people in the US (so it's not considered "rare" in the US anymore), and also affects more women than men, statistically.
So, there are some symptoms that are very similar to those of POIS, but -- THE BIG, MAJOR DIFFERENCE is that CFS is not induced by ejaculation, sexual stimulation, tumescence, or dry ejaculation.  CSF is not associated in any way with ejaculation.

Yet 9 years later, we have 115 search results here in the forum search function for the term "cfs".

Stumbling upon this made me think a lot:

Found this blog comment by coincidence. It sounds intriguing..

Explaining ME/CFS? Prusty / Naviaux Study Ties Infections to Energy Breakdowns
Ric on April 27, 2020 at 10:28 pm
Cort,
I have both CFS and POIS. Both simultaneously onset same day
In 1993.
Post Orgasmic Syndrome is a NORD validated rare disease. Where men crash with severe CFS like symptoms for 2 to 5 days after every ejaculation takes place (does not matter how (sex, nocturnal emissions etc.)).

The symptoms are amazingly similar as as a bad CFS crash. But most men go back to higher plateau of functioning than people with CFS (unless they have both) in 2 to 5 days. For me 3.

Imagine the study gem this entails. The whole cycle ALWAYS happens. So it could show volumes if tracked daily monitoring multiple biomarkers.

Dr Maria Vera who works in Dr. Klimas office said to me ?EBV has an affinity for sexual organs like the testis?.

Light went on. These thousands of men could be the missing men in CFS! Testosterone goes down after ejaculation and it takes a few days to come back. The things that help them are exactly the same as what helps people with CFS. The similarities are perplexing. To the extreme that I have given them lots of good material from CFS that they use now to alleviate symptoms. Many are just waiting for the CFS cure with the hope it will somehow benefit them.

I have long suspected that herpes type virus are involved in POIS
. I came down with EBV then POIS + CFS simultaneously. So the link is there for me. I am not the only man who has both. Note that hormonal changes activate herpes viruses as well.

Studying this cohort could shed so much light into both CFS and POIS.

The problem I have is that few people with one label bother to look at the other. That is different they conjecture.

I have both and I believe they are one and the same. Except POIS. Is what these men call their short term CFS episodes.

More on POIS at

https://poiscenter.com/forums/index.php

Can you please consider taking a look bringing the group to researches attention? It could be the missing link in these diseases spectrum.

I don't know who this Ric is, but after reading nanna1's post about the NK cells, I had the same thoughts.

In my opinion: This also goes in line with the theories of Quantum and nanna1 (TODO: link) that there is a certain about of infections (viral,bacterial,fungal,parasitical,...) that we're dealing with and the body is struggling with handling all of them, if they're fixed then POIS is fixed too.
(And certain infections are claimed to trigger auto immunity, ...)

Journey

• MM group
  • INTP, 19 y.o. aware of POIS since 2019
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2020, 08:35:46 AM »

Yet 9 years later, we have 115 search results here in the forum search function for the term "cfs".

Stumbling upon this made me think a lot:

Found this blog comment by coincidence. It sounds intriguing..

Explaining ME/CFS? Prusty / Naviaux Study Ties Infections to Energy Breakdowns
Ric on April 27, 2020 at 10:28 pm
Cort,
I have both CFS and POIS. Both simultaneously onset same day
In 1993.
Post Orgasmic Syndrome is a NORD validated rare disease. Where men crash with severe CFS like symptoms for 2 to 5 days after every ejaculation takes place (does not matter how (sex, nocturnal emissions etc.)).

The symptoms are amazingly similar as as a bad CFS crash. But most men go back to higher plateau of functioning than people with CFS (unless they have both) in 2 to 5 days. For me 3.

Imagine the study gem this entails. The whole cycle ALWAYS happens. So it could show volumes if tracked daily monitoring multiple biomarkers.

Dr Maria Vera who works in Dr. Klimas office said to me ?EBV has an affinity for sexual organs like the testis?.

Light went on. These thousands of men could be the missing men in CFS! Testosterone goes down after ejaculation and it takes a few days to come back. The things that help them are exactly the same as what helps people with CFS. The similarities are perplexing. To the extreme that I have given them lots of good material from CFS that they use now to alleviate symptoms. Many are just waiting for the CFS cure with the hope it will somehow benefit them.

I have long suspected that herpes type virus are involved in POIS
. I came down with EBV then POIS + CFS simultaneously. So the link is there for me. I am not the only man who has both. Note that hormonal changes activate herpes viruses as well.

Studying this cohort could shed so much light into both CFS and POIS.

The problem I have is that few people with one label bother to look at the other. That is different they conjecture.

I have both and I believe they are one and the same. Except POIS. Is what these men call their short term CFS episodes.

More on POIS at

https://poiscenter.com/forums/index.php

Can you please consider taking a look bringing the group to researches attention? It could be the missing link in these diseases spectrum.

I don't know who this Ric is, but after reading nanna1's post about the NK cells, I had the same thoughts.

In my opinion: This also goes in line with the theories of Quantum and nanna1 (TODO: link) that there is a certain about of infections (viral,bacterial,fungal,parasitical,...) that we're dealing with and the body is struggling with handling all of them, if they're fixed then POIS is fixed too.
(And certain infections are claimed to trigger auto immunity, ...)
How 2 fix?