Author Topic: POIS and hypotension  (Read 9794 times)

Quantum

• Administrator
POIS and hypotension
« on: November 23, 2014, 02:29:10 AM »
First, I would like to thanks those who have created this forum, and all the dedicated members who share a lot of useful information here.  I have just found this forum last week.  I am 49 y/o male from Quebec province, in Canada ( I am a French Canadian, you may notice it in my English writing)  I have POIS symptoms since puberty.  Yes, that means 36 years of POIS. 

Being a health professionnal ( I am pharmacist), i have found many ways to lower the intensity and duration of my acute POIS phase ( I have used my knowledge in human physiology, in pharmacology, and also my expertise in natural products and vitamins, to do so )   In the last ten years, i have also developped a way to monitor the acute POIS phase, which last now for about 24 to 48 hours  (was longer, and much harsher, when i was younger ).  I now take my blood pressure as a sign to know when it starts (there is, for me, a delay between ejaculation and symptoms onset).  Basically, hypotension (low blood pressure) is an objective sign that i am in acute POIS phase (but, for sure, no need for myself to mesure my BP in order to know if I have POIS or not, as you all know! It is more about having a scientific approach, and an objective criteria to define the progression of the different phases of my POIS ).  Through the years, i learned that if my systolic pressure (first figure) is below 105 and my diastolic pressure (the second, smaller figure) is below 70, i am not feellng well, and the POIS is still peaking.  At 103/67, for example, i feel exhausted, i have anxiety and irritability, less concentration, orthostatic hypotension (head rush), and so on.  At 110/71, i am feeling much better - not full recovery yet, but the worst is behind.  Hypotension, for me,  is in part responsible for many of the symptoms I have - athough not all of them.   Low blood pressure decreases the brain's blood flow supply.  Brain cells are very dependant of a constant supply of glucose and oxygen to function properly, and the cerebral tissues also need a constant cleaning to maintain optimal functions.  Decreased BP also explains exercice intolerance. 

There is more causes and more symptoms to POIS than hypotension, and I plan to eventually share more about how I understand POIS, but for now i am reading and integrating all the new info I find on this forum.  Needless to say, my brain is on fire since last week, blinking like a Christmas tree ;-) , from all this info I get at once, after having no other source of info than myself during all those years. 

I suppose, considering my current model for POIS, that many people in acute POIS phase may have a low blood pressure as I do.  I have searched this forum for "low blood pressure" and fund very little mention of that.  Let me know about it if you do have made some BP during your POIS worst days, and what results you have get.

Thanks,

Quantum
You are 100% responsible for what you do with anything I post on this forum and of any consequence it could have for you.  Forum rule: ""Do not use POISCenter as a substitute for, or to give, medical advice" Read the remaining part at http://poiscenter.com/forums/index.php?topic=1.msg10259#msg10259

FloppyBanana

Re: POIS and hypotension
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2014, 10:11:43 AM »
Welcome Quantum!

Hypertension being a cause or symptom...hm...dunno.

Have you seen the below page? It sums all the main information points:

http://poiscenter.com/forums/index.php?topic=426.msg14238#msg14238

This one in particular I have watched recently which is quite remarkable: http://youtu.be/6sdaR18vw1s?list=UUJpZW40Di0JEcM1_SUtw55w

FloppyB
30 years of POIS. Mytelase after O with Iceman breathing technique.

Quantum

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2014, 11:39:00 PM »
Thanks for the welcome, FloppyB.

I watched the video.  Extreme solution, and I am glad for him that it he is POIS-free now.  It seems to confirm that contact with own semen is at least one piece of the puzzle.

I am still catching up with all the info available here, and will still be in the comings weeks. The link you gave me will help in this process.  Much to think about, Lots of different theories, different approaches, and quite a lot of vitamins, herbs, OTC drugs and prescription drugs have been tried.

Thanks again,

Quantum
« Last Edit: November 23, 2014, 11:40:38 PM by Quantum »
You are 100% responsible for what you do with anything I post on this forum and of any consequence it could have for you.  Forum rule: ""Do not use POISCenter as a substitute for, or to give, medical advice" Read the remaining part at http://poiscenter.com/forums/index.php?topic=1.msg10259#msg10259

Colm

« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2014, 02:41:53 AM »
Good to have you here Quantum, as another long time POIS guy, but specifically because of your pharma background, and you will be yet another valuable contributor with your technical and physiological awareness.

I see in your other post today, a really valuable warning to people to be very careful about what they are combining in desperation to feel well.

Sadly, I lack your technical abilities and those of others here, and have erred on the cautious side in taking too much of anything.

I definitely shared your experience of having my head buzzing when first discovering this board last year. So much information, but much of it conflicting.

I guess solutions are probably narrowed down to 4 or 5 definite causes or triggers, which is good progress. We can only still hope we get 4 or 5 valid and credible solutions to try out next year.

Personally I don't believe the ultimate solution is there in taking a tablet to be purchased in a pharma (which I am not suggesting you think this either). Definitely that pharma only approach may improve symptom reduction, but we have a more chronic syndrome that will require a multi faceted approach.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2014, 02:46:28 AM by Colm »

demografx

• Administrator
  • All of us working together to defeat POIS!
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2014, 11:02:07 PM »
Put this in your Google search box, with spaces/no spaces exactly as shown below:

low blood pressure pois site:http://thenakedscientists.com
10 years of significant POIS-reduction, treatment consisting of daily (365 days/year) testosterone patches.

TRT must be checked out carefully with your doctor due to fertility, cardiac and other risks.

40+ years of severe 4-days-POIS, married, raised a family, started/ran a business

Quantum

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2014, 12:22:14 AM »
Hey Quantum! Welcome, and I agree with Colm that it's always great to see someone with a background like yours (with POIS) come into the discussion.

I find it super interesting to read what you wrote about blood pressure and its possible relation to POIS. My mind is open to every single possible cause (as long as it's based in reality of course). When I first got POIS low blood oxygen was one of the things I thought about because of the sleepy/low energy feeling. Also, I notice that my cognitive symptoms are similar to what one would experience in a low oxygen environment. Once I was at an altitude of about 14,000 feet while visiting a mountain peak in CO, and I experienced similar brain functioning to a POIS episode (tired & clouded thinking). I'm not sure it's the cause, but I'm interested in learning and reading more from you.

Again, look forward to reading more of your understanding of POIS, so let us know!

Thanks, Prancer

Thanks for the welcome, Prancer!

I do not think of hypotension as a cause of POIS, but as one of the many consequences of it.  But considering that blood pressure monitors are readily available, it is easier to track than, let's say,  level of TNF-alpha at 30 mins, 1 hours, two hours, 12 hours and 24 hours after O.... hehehe....  I do not have a biomedical lab in my basement.  So, bllood pressure is a convenient "marker' for me.

I am still integrating all the info i am absorbing from the forum, into a comprehensive overview.  I will eventually share what is coming out of it, if it seems worthwhile to do so.

Thanks again,

Quantum

Quantum

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2014, 12:37:57 AM »
Put this in your Google search box, with spaces/no spaces exactly as shown below:

Thanks for the tip, again.

I used it, and interesting info came out, that i swallowed up, and some of which I am still digesting.... but it wasnt a real surprise to see that some has sometime hypertension instead of hypotension.  POIS is only one syndrome, with a core, common cluster of symptoms, and many (about 5 or 6)  "optional" clusters, so that everyone has his customized version of POIS.  Not to mention at least half a dozen of comobidity factors that are discussed on the forum, to further complicate the puzzle. More about my view on all this as time and understanding will allow me to do so.

Demografx.  As I have come to see, you are here since the really beginning, and you are a constant driving force on this forum, with a clearly positive view on this challenge we all share. So, thanks again, Demografx .

Quantum

demografx

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2014, 04:32:32 PM »
Thank you, Quantum!

(u can call me demo :) )

« Last Edit: December 02, 2014, 04:45:32 PM by demografx »
10 years of significant POIS-reduction, treatment consisting of daily (365 days/year) testosterone patches.

TRT must be checked out carefully with your doctor due to fertility, cardiac and other risks.

40+ years of severe 4-days-POIS, married, raised a family, started/ran a business

Stef

« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2014, 04:53:57 PM »

Demografx.  As I have come to see, you are here since the really beginning, and you are a constant driving force on this forum, with a clearly positive view on this challenge we all share. So, thanks again, Demografx .

Quantum

Quantum -- you are 100% correct about Demografx!  He's a great guy and a true source of inspiration. :-)

Stef

« Last Edit: December 02, 2014, 07:12:43 PM by demografx »

demografx

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2014, 07:05:00 PM »
Awwwwww!!!

: - )