Author Topic: Feeling better because of turmeric/curcumin!  (Read 45469 times)

Going less Crazy

Re: Feeling better because of turmeric/curcumin!
« Reply #60 on: November 21, 2014, 06:42:56 AM »
i no longer take turmeric .  seems 2 upset me and actually make me irritable.  when i take it i actually feel kinda stressed similar 2 a stimulant and has kept me up at night.  otoh, good luck with your treatment fellow POISers.
My POIS managed with Diet (@ diet that 100% manages my pois)Believe my POIS stems from inflammation in the gut. O = neuro POIS from inflammation from the gut

supps: microdose zyrtec if needed for food sens. ibuprofen for infl. as needed. Melatonin as needed. Big Pinch Black cumin  seeds once daily

Going less Crazy

« Reply #61 on: November 12, 2015, 03:52:51 PM »
I know this is an old topic.  I've recently done some research and found that curcumin greatly inhibits interleukin 1 which is heavily responsible for neuroinflammation.  Also inhibiting other pro inflammatory chemicals such as prostaglandins and probably a couple more.  I tried curcumin during POIS and not before and it helped somewhat but I might try it before O along with my diet.  I just want to know if ppl are still using this and if it is still useful pre O.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22885885
My POIS managed with Diet (@ diet that 100% manages my pois)Believe my POIS stems from inflammation in the gut. O = neuro POIS from inflammation from the gut

supps: microdose zyrtec if needed for food sens. ibuprofen for infl. as needed. Melatonin as needed. Big Pinch Black cumin  seeds once daily

Quantum

• Administrator
« Reply #62 on: November 13, 2015, 06:29:14 PM »
I know this is an old topic.  I've recently done some research and found that curcumin greatly inhibits interleukin 1 which is heavily responsible for neuroinflammation.  Also inhibiting other pro inflammatory chemicals such as prostaglandins and probably a couple more.  I tried curcumin during POIS and not before and it helped somewhat but I might try it before O along with my diet.  I just want to know if ppl are still using this and if it is still useful pre O.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22885885

Hi GLC,

curcumin is still useful for me, as part of my pre-E pack, which have been 80% to 100% effective for about 8 months now  ( for complete composition of my pre-pack, see at http://poiscenter.com/forums/index.php?topic=2090.msg16604#msg16604 ).

You are 100% responsible for what you do with anything I post on this forum and of any consequence it could have for you.  Forum rule: ""Do not use POISCenter as a substitute for, or to give, medical advice" Read the remaining part at http://poiscenter.com/forums/index.php?topic=1.msg10259#msg10259

Macster

« Reply #63 on: February 15, 2016, 09:37:14 PM »
Hello everyone,

I'm wondering is taking turmeric post-E efficient or not really worth it?
Following the autoimmune theory, should POIS be seen as a one time attack by cytokines and then the symptoms are actually from the body trying to recover from the attack?
Or is the attack continuous for a couple of days (that is for as long as the symptoms last)?
Symptoms since I'm 15 y o, hair loss, muscle twitches, brain fog, anxiety, low confidence, stuffy nose, itchy eyes and skin, sensitive to temperature change, loud heartbeat. I currently use 5-htp and SAM-e.

Quantum

• Administrator
« Reply #64 on: February 15, 2016, 11:05:23 PM »
Hello everyone,

I'm wondering is taking turmeric post-E efficient or not really worth it?
Following the autoimmune theory, should POIS be seen as a one time attack by cytokines and then the symptoms are actually from the body trying to recover from the attack?
Or is the attack continuous for a couple of days (that is for as long as the symptoms last)?

Bonjour Macster!

If we suppose POIS does include hypersensitivities reactions, we then can suppose that the trigger is some substance in the semen.  After the initial reaction of the immune system, it is the frenzy and cascading reactions that makes the hypersensitivity symptoms going on and on.  Each particular cytokine will lead to other reactions, like other cytokines productions, or cell activation,  and so on -  the immune system is very, very complex.  Once the cytokines storm has begun, you then have a domino effect.   I suppose that in POIS, the peak of the chain reaction is on the second day, and then, it slowly begin to fade out.  Even after the immune reaction has stopped, your body still has to "clear up the mess" before you feel normal again.  Those 2 events - the severe first part, and then the slow recovery phase - are what you can experiment in other acute illness like flu.

Like in any hypersensitivity reaction, it is always better to control them before they start, instead of trying to stop a train already going down the hill.

You can compare that to an allergic reaction to cats.  If you take your antihistamine 1 hour before exposure to any cat, you will have less or maybe no symptoms.  If you take your antihistamine only once you have begun to feel itchy and have watery eyes, and that you already sneeze, that same pill will help you temper a bit, but the inflammation that is already there will not magically disappear, because some histamine, in this example, already have been released in your body. 

So, It is more efficient to block hypersensitivity reactions in the first place, by taking whatever blocks the reaction before it starts.  It is also useful to block the reaction even if it has already started - that will limit the damages, and shorten its duration, but in this case, some damage had the time to manifest before the "rescue" has arrived. But in some case, the train may have gotten too much momentum -  you may still have to go through a POIS cycle, but what you take can shorthen the duration and decrease the severity of the symptoms.

My explanation, as I said, is based on the hypothesis that there is a hypersensitivity reaction involved in POIS.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2016, 11:07:04 PM by Quantum »
You are 100% responsible for what you do with anything I post on this forum and of any consequence it could have for you.  Forum rule: ""Do not use POISCenter as a substitute for, or to give, medical advice" Read the remaining part at http://poiscenter.com/forums/index.php?topic=1.msg10259#msg10259

Going less Crazy

« Reply #65 on: September 08, 2017, 05:27:15 PM »
Old Post.  But I found taking very minimal amounts of turmeric/curcumin every morning helps with motivation, inflammation and energy levels.  I take spring valley turmeric curcumin with 50mg curcumin in every pill I believe?

But I literally only take 3 dabs on the tongue every morning.  I open one side of the capsule and put my tongue on the end 3 times to get a very small amount.  I'm super sensitive to most supplements and can only handle this much.  But it makes me feel great and doesn't affect my sleep.

b_jim

« Reply #66 on: September 09, 2017, 11:29:13 AM »
One of the most important question is there 1  or 2 (or more) Pois versions.

One part of guys here seems to have an allergic/immunologic Pois version and they may have improvement with :
- Ginger
- Curcumin
- Ibuprofen/NSAI
- Loratadine/benardryl/other anti-histamines drug
- Maybe Niacine might be put in this part

And in the second part the Pois seems to be linked more to neurotransmitters and male sexual hormones.

In my case, all the remedies above didn't work, only taurine does.
Anyway, even taurine can't stop the first Pois phase. For example, today the temperature is "cold" (end of summer) and I feel the cold symptom just some minutes after ejaculation. Typical.
And this point makes me think to maybe not give up the allergic/immunologic theory for my personnal case.
I will try again ginger/curcumin supplements. Maybe should I take 1.5g of each in a longer time before orgasm.

« Last Edit: September 09, 2017, 11:31:37 AM by b_jim »
Taurine = Anti-Pois
Lyme disease "cured" in 2020.

Going less Crazy

« Reply #67 on: September 10, 2017, 02:32:01 AM »
One of the most important question is there 1  or 2 (or more) Pois versions.

One part of guys here seems to have an allergic/immunologic Pois version and they may have improvement with :
- Ginger
- Curcumin
- Ibuprofen/NSAI
- Loratadine/benardryl/other anti-histamines drug
- Maybe Niacine might be put in this part

And in the second part the Pois seems to be linked more to neurotransmitters and male sexual hormones.

In my case, all the remedies above didn't work, only taurine does.
Anyway, even taurine can't stop the first Pois phase. For example, today the temperature is "cold" (end of summer) and I feel the cold symptom just some minutes after ejaculation. Typical.
And this point makes me think to maybe not give up the allergic/immunologic theory for my personnal case.
I will try again ginger/curcumin supplements. Maybe should I take 1.5g of each in a longer time before orgasm.

Yeah I'm not really sure.  Though inflammation is huge I believe in POIS.  Although I still don't have problems with O anymore, I've been trying supplements to increase energy, and minimal amounts of turmeric has helped me.  It is also an astringent, or decreases gut permeability which is what I like :D.

berlin1984

• Administrator
  • Use Adaptogens and Antioxidants, they can help.
« Reply #68 on: December 08, 2020, 03:35:28 PM »
There is a version of curcumin which claims to be 185x more bioavailable than curcumin.
(Which is also a lot more bioavailable than curcumin plus bioperin.. which some people apparantely get upset stomach from).

It's called NovaSOL? Curcumin and comes in a pill with yellow-ish liquid.

Maybe worth a try. For me personally it improves inflammation symptoms during POIS.

If curcumin really inhibits COX-2, then maybe also useful as part of a pre-pack.

Igy78

« Reply #69 on: December 08, 2020, 04:32:14 PM »
"Taurine, an amino acid that affects hepatocytes, is involved in forming bile salts from bile acids through conjugation i.e binding. Taurine is therefore responsible for providing a substrate for bile salts. In addition, large amounts of bile salts are reabsorbed in the gut and recycled for further bile production.

The choleretic effect of curcumin increases bile production by approximately 62%. Its effect is not limited to the stimulation of contraction and is also expressed in the bile composition."

In my case i found out that my fatty liver did not produced enough bile, i bombarded my liver with silimarin and artichoke and feeling better even with daily ejaculation.

Do try also this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h64_7DYf5_0

Journey

• MM group
  • INTP, 19 y.o. aware of POIS since 2019
« Reply #70 on: December 08, 2020, 05:13:17 PM »
"Taurine, an amino acid that affects hepatocytes, is involved in forming bile salts from bile acids through conjugation i.e binding. Taurine is therefore responsible for providing a substrate for bile salts. In addition, large amounts of bile salts are reabsorbed in the gut and recycled for further bile production.

The choleretic effect of curcumin increases bile production by approximately 62%. Its effect is not limited to the stimulation of contraction and is also expressed in the bile composition."

In my case i found out that my fatty liver did not produced enough bile, i bombarded my liver with silimarin and artichoke and feeling better even with daily ejaculation.

Do try also this:

What happens though that results in POIS symptoms due to the liver being not as strong at the bile production?

Igy78

« Reply #71 on: December 08, 2020, 06:15:48 PM »

Do try also this:

What happens though that results in POIS symptoms due to the liver being not as strong at the bile production?

Sorry did not understand your question.

Journey

• MM group
  • INTP, 19 y.o. aware of POIS since 2019
« Reply #72 on: December 09, 2020, 04:21:02 AM »

Do try also this:

Sorry did not understand your question.
Why not enough bile production gives POIS?

Igy78