Author Topic: Physiology of hot flashes  (Read 6080 times)

b_jim

Physiology of hot flashes
« on: July 28, 2014, 03:16:51 PM »
I finally found a scientific document to explain CLEARLY how does the hot flashes work.
It's very interesting. PDF File In french, Bouffees de chaleur et traitement hormonal du cancer de la prostate

Very simply, 3 points :

- The cause of hot flashes is the increased levels of catecholamine in hypothalamus, center of temp regulation. The main catecholamine is noradrenaline.

- Opiod peptides down-regulate (=decrease ) level of these catecholamines then decrease hot flashes.

- Steroid hormones (Testosterone, DHT, oestrogens/progesterone) up-regulates (=increase) the levels of opiod peptides.

With these element you may understand a lot of things in Pois.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2014, 01:35:09 AM by b_jim »
Taurine = Anti-Pois

b_jim

Re: Physiology of hot flashes
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2015, 01:39:46 AM »
Hot flashes : link hormones to hypothalamic cells : KNDy cells

In french :

http://www.lequotidiendumedecin.fr/actualites/article/2012/12/12/candy-au-pays-des-bouffees-de-chaleur_631797

I think I have a better knowledge of this and maybe, I hope, a batter knowledge to understand Pois :

I said in the first post that hypothalamus is the center of thermo-regulation.
But inside hypothalamus, there is a particular kind of cells called : KNDy cells.

--

Cela étant dit, les bouffées de chaleur, comme celles survenant à la ménopause (mais aussi chez les hommes sous traitement anti-androgène) constituent une énigme.
Hotflashes during women menopause (but during anti-androgen meds for men) are still mysterious.

=> Low testosterone = hot flashes
« Last Edit: September 05, 2015, 01:47:12 AM by b_jim »
Taurine = Anti-Pois

Vandemolen

« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2019, 06:21:45 PM »
Very simply, 3 points :

- The cause of hot flashes is the increased levels of catecholamine in hypothalamus, center of temp regulation. The main catecholamine is noradrenaline.

- Opiod peptides down-regulate (=decrease ) level of these catecholamines then decrease hot flashes.

- Steroid hormones (Testosterone, DHT, oestrogens/progesterone) up-regulates (=increase) the levels of opiod peptides.

With these element you may understand a lot of things in Pois.
Very interesting topic B_Jim. I am very interested in the hypothalamus in connection with POIS. So if you take testosterone does that mean that you will get less hot flashes and reduce the POIS?
POIS since 2000. Very bad since 2008. I knew that I have POIS since June 2010. Desensitization since March 2011. I stopped with desens in July 2016. I have 50% less POIS. And only 1 day of POIS. Purified CBD works for me, but I am allergic for CBD.

berlin1984

• Administrator
  • Use Adaptogens and Antioxidants, they can help.
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2021, 01:51:59 PM »
There is a supplement marketed for women in menopause that claims to reduce hot flashes by 90%..
It's made from some kind of pollen and called "Serelys".

Maybe makes sense to check if it can somehow be useful to us.
(by "us" I mean male POISers, but input by female POISers is appreciated too)

Samir

• POIS victim since 1988
    • Huntsville Car Scene.com
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2024, 06:32:41 AM »
Bumping an older thread because in my research I've found that low T can be a cause of hot flashes.  But clinically it has only been common in androgen deprivation therapy, a treatment for prostate cancer that restricts testosterone production.

Good reading:
https://www.health.harvard.edu/mens-health/hot-flashes-in-men-an-update

Clinic I'm thinking about reaching out to about POIS:
https://rosewellness.com/hot-flashes-in-men/

After years of POIS, the last year or two I've started to get hot flashes.  At first I thought I was crazy, but with all the posts on it here, I think it's something a lot of you have already had.  I do have to note that most of the time I get them when I'm off my regiment and in POIS.