Author Topic: POIS and Gaming  (Read 5190 times)

IWontGiveUp

POIS and Gaming
« on: February 20, 2019, 08:16:33 AM »
I'm a very competitive gamer but when I am in POIS my performance gets hindered greatly and sometimes I don't even have the will to play.

I don't feel that my motor skills suffer in POIS but the overall fatigue and irritability gets to me. Also my reaction time and decision making both feel a bit slower. And I rage a lot more.

When I play with a duo partner I can be a douchebag and they seem to irritate me which is so stupid since before POIS I used to love playing with my friends. ( and I still do when abstaining)

I am very passionate about the game I am playing and have put in around 800hrs into it so you could imagine that playing bad just because I am in POIS mode can be very frustrating.

Have you guys ever had a similiar experience and do you have any recommendations for me?

Muon

• MCAD Thread
Re: POIS and Gaming
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2019, 08:56:40 AM »
I play mostly turn based 4x singleplayer games. These are not reaction based twitchy games. Competitive MP games are too stressfull in POIS. If I do play those in multiplayer which is rare I will play them very slow and/or camp a lot in one spot. I used to play competitively every now and then but have made the switch to 100% recreational gaming in particular singleplayer primarly due to pois. https://explorminate.net this site covers 4x strategy games, dunno if that's your cup of tea. Other poisers like to play RPGs like Skyrim for example.

Nas

« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2019, 10:41:37 AM »
POIS incredibly hinders my skills when playing games; I become much worst at what ever I play. So when it comes to Online games I've changed my mentality from competitiveness to having fun. For example I played fortnight last year and my strategy was: The best defense is a good offense. So basically I just charged people even if they seemed to be good players. Try that, it will be much more fun this way.

Muon

• MCAD Thread
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2019, 01:42:37 PM »
So when it comes to Online games I've changed my mentality from competitiveness to having fun.
This

Wolf berry

« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2019, 04:15:06 AM »
Gaming especially Game that make your adrenaline pumping like FPS, horror games, MMO etc.. Make my pois worse.. Can't sleep at night... But gaming while in pois they always make me so excites and heartbeat very fast especially when you 1 versus 1 online game..

Wolf berry

« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2019, 04:18:13 AM »
I'm a very competitive gamer but when I am in POIS my performance gets hindered greatly and sometimes I don't even have the will to play.

I don't feel that my motor skills suffer in POIS but the overall fatigue and irritability gets to me. Also my reaction time and decision making both feel a bit slower. And I rage a lot more.

When I play with a duo partner I can be a douchebag and they seem to irritate me which is so stupid since before POIS I used to love playing with my friends. ( and I still do when abstaining)

I am very passionate about the game I am playing and have put in around 800hrs into it so you could imagine that playing bad just because I am in POIS mode can be very frustrating.

Have you guys ever had a similiar experience and do you have any recommendations for me?

Do you play CSGO, PUBG, Dota etc.?

IWontGiveUp

« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2019, 05:36:48 AM »

Do you play CSGO, PUBG, Dota etc.?

Fortnite actually.

Gaming doesn't really make my POIS worse but POIS makes my gaming experience worse.

Guts

• Mute
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2019, 04:15:55 PM »
Muon is a n00b and i raped him in every game

i wrote a post in your fatigue thread, go check it out.

ps. wolf berry is right... maybe you won't feel it immediately but over days and weeks gaming will make you feel worse. i pretty much almost quit gaming altogether all feel alot better .

Nas

« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2019, 05:34:43 PM »

ps. wolf berry is right... maybe you won't feel it immediately but over days and weeks gaming will make you feel worse. i pretty much almost quit gaming altogether all feel alot better .
1- Wow what do you guys play?
2- Gaming for me make me much better and reduces POIS by a lot.

Wolf berry

« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2019, 05:52:38 PM »

1- Wow what do you guys play?
2- Gaming for me make me much better and reduces POIS by a lot.

Yes, gaming during POIS help kills POIS time.. It makes me happy, excited ( During pois i'm an adrenaline junkie lol ) it pump my adrenaline but can't sleep well at night...

What your pois symptoms reduced from gaming ?? Help depression??

Nas

« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2019, 06:05:58 PM »
Yes, gaming during POIS help kills POIS time.. It makes me happy, excited ( During pois i'm an adrenaline junkie lol ) it pump my adrenaline but can't sleep well at night...

What your pois symptoms reduced from gaming ?? Help depression??
It just makes me overall better. It regains my cognition, helps me get passed depression and OCD and overall give me better mood.

IWontGiveUp

« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2019, 11:39:21 AM »

Gaming is all I have left... only thing that gives me pleasure.

Chanderyuppi

« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2023, 10:21:54 AM »

We all have our own ways of dealing with POIS, and obviously gaming is your refuge. When POIS gets in the way of doing the things you love, it can be discouraging.

A change in gaming focus can potentially help. You are undoubtedly a competitive gamer, but have you considered moving into game creation? It may seem a bit daunting, but there are now many tools available to help u make a 3D game with little to no coding skills. Platforms like Unity, Godot, or Unreal Engine have tons of guides and resources to get you started. This will allow you to immerse yourself in a gaming environment but with less pressure to be instantly responsive and competitive.

Shifting your focus to game creation instead of high-stress competitive games can also help reduce POIS symptoms. The game creation process itself can be therapeutic and help shift your focus from the fast, stress-inducing moments of competitive play to a slower, more methodical process. You can even channel your POIS experience into game development, creating something truly unique.

Remember that you need to take care of your mental and physical health first and foremost. If you find that gaming, whether playing or creating, is exacerbating your POIS symptoms, it may be worth considering other hobbies that you enjoy. There are tons of communities online where you can find new interests and hobbies that may not affect your POIS as much.