Author Topic: Free Flow Discussion about POIS  (Read 1002307 times)

demografx

• Administrator
  • All of us working together to defeat POIS!
Re: This may seem like a familiar place.
« Reply #1100 on: February 11, 2014, 07:42:14 PM »
FROM STEF RE TRAVEL TO NEWARK!

Hi All,

The following organization will help provide free air fare to and from medical centers within the USA. They also have a long-distance ground transportation program (i.e. bus, train) They require you to fill out their financial form -- to show that you qualify for their free services -- but they do not make this process difficult. 

It takes ~ three weeks for them to make arrangements, FYI.

They've been around for years and are a reliable, trustworthy non-profit organization --

National Patient Travel Center
4620 Haygood Rd, Suite 1
Virginia Beach, VA 23455
Homepage: http://www.patienttravel.org/
Email: info@nationalpatienttravelcenter.org
Phone: 1-800-550-1767

I hope this is helpful to those of you whose finances prevent your traveling to Newark, but are eligible for participation in the fMRi study.

Stef

10 years of significant POIS-reduction, treatment consisting of daily (365 days/year) testosterone patches.

TRT must be checked out carefully with your doctor due to fertility, cardiac and other risks.

40+ years of severe 4-days-POIS, married, raised a family, started/ran a business

demografx

• Administrator
« Reply #1101 on: February 11, 2014, 08:56:57 PM »
THANK YOU, STEF!!!!!

:) :) :) :)
« Last Edit: February 11, 2014, 09:44:29 PM by demografx »
10 years of significant POIS-reduction, treatment consisting of daily (365 days/year) testosterone patches.

TRT must be checked out carefully with your doctor due to fertility, cardiac and other risks.

40+ years of severe 4-days-POIS, married, raised a family, started/ran a business

Prancer

« Reply #1102 on: February 13, 2014, 12:02:31 AM »
The way I follow posts here @ poiscenter is using this link: http://poiscenter.com/forums/index.php?action=recent

It consolidates everything on one page and makes it easier for me to follow. I actually got the idea from Stef a while back and have been using it ever since. Just wanted to remind people in case they were having trouble following everything.

Daveman

• Administrator
« Reply #1103 on: February 13, 2014, 09:42:18 AM »
The way I follow posts here @ poiscenter is using this link: http://poiscenter.com/forums/index.php?action=recent

It consolidates everything on one page and makes it easier for me to follow. I actually got the idea from Stef a while back and have been using it ever since. Just wanted to remind people in case they were having trouble following everything.

I have found that this doesn't always get everything though either. Perhaps the RSS function gets it's information from there too.

But it's way better than looking through the posts one by one.

WITHOUT RESEARCH THERE WILL BE NO CURE!
Sessions 5 to 9 days, mostly Flu-like, joints, digestion problems, light cognitive.
Niacin has changed my lif though, now 1 day MAX.
Somewhere in this interaction with Niacin is the answer!

demografx

• Administrator

Nightingale

« Reply #1105 on: February 13, 2014, 10:02:48 PM »
I believe because of the medications that I take, I need a far higher dosage of Niacin than everyone else here I bet. I cannot get a flush unless I take 1.5 grams. 1500mg. It's a lot, but I have still taken it out of desperation. It's been a long time since I've done it, as now it doesn't even seem to work well anymore and Im not willing to go higher because I feel crappy after the niacin. I have less cognitive symptoms, but a lot more strange feelings, and yes definitely shivering and shakes. It feels really uncomfortable.

I now use NSAIDs before ejaculation to moderate success. This is not a good long term solution, but neither is constant POIS with a history of depression and suicidality =(
Turmeric and Rosemary 30-45 minutes before orgasm for anti-inflammatory and immune support has helped me a lot. Faster and easier than niacin approach.

Colm

« Reply #1106 on: February 15, 2014, 09:19:36 AM »
Support or advice - Niacin Flush.

I'm one of the community here continuing a trial of Niacin. This is having had some initial very positive impacts.

I am still hoping that it may continue to help me and others, and for the research to clearly identify how it's action is related to POIS. The theories around vasoconstriction people speak about here and at NSF is interesting.

I don't want to abandon Niacin, but want to be sure there isn't any harm to Immune system or other organs, using it for POIS in limited dosage.

I had been taking the 100 MG of Flush Niacin just once a week, whether with or without an Orgasm.

Up toward the year end, I felt comfortable using it. However, I am wondering if there are some side effects (I have been getting), that others may have advice on. I'd like to continue safe treatments only and use Niacin safely to limit POIS impacts. Am sure others think the same with what they also experiment with.

Here's what happened.
I was off for 2 weeks over the holiday period in December, so I decided to take Niacin more often, I took the Flush 100 MG every two to three days for a week.

Usually, about an hour after taking Niacin, (even without O) experiencing the flush, I feel quite well and some symptoms recede, and in particular I usually feel more open and energised. The next day, I usually feel really wrecked, run down, tired, my body runs cold, and then these symptoms kind of clear away on the following day, which leaves me a bit better (than pre-Niacin dose) and fairly stable for a few days.

A month back however, after a week of taking the 3 doses of Niacin in succession, I got a very bad flu for three weeks (worst in years) with a really heightened over-sensitivity to being cold, even when others around me were warm.

Maybe I just got the flu, and it was nothing at all to do with Niacin. Three weeks later, with the flu gone, on Friday two weeks back, I decided to go back to the once a week Niacin approach. Initially on taking, I felt really the positive impacts, but on the Saturday I felt totally wrecked, with heightened sinus problems and my body experienced the extreme sensitivity to cold.

The Sunday, I felt much better, like something cleared, and the shock reaction from Niacin was gone, but I have now yesterday again come down with another flu. I am self employed, so this is a real pain. In my worst years of my POIS, over a decade back, I did experience a lot of colds with low immune system and sinus problems.

My core question on Niacin.
My question is, has anyone of our Niacin folks had any similar experiences with this shock or reaction to Niacin, 12-18 Hours post flush.

Anyone know if it can it mess around with immune system or something? Did you personally experience any negative side effects?

Only thing I can think of is maybe because I usually take it 6/7 hours after food, and then don't eat for an hour. Maybe that approach is too hard on my system, and I need to take it a bit closer to food and less than 100 MG.

The 100MG dose a week is hardly taking an overdose. I think Niacin flush is used safely in patients for cholesterol stabilisation, so it should be safe in theory, if not taken too often or in excessive doses. I know there is potential liver damage (for example) in high regular doses.

What I am really curious about is why I get this "shock" reaction in my body for about 24 hours, which kicks in about 12 hours after the flush. It could be a positive thing, clearing something or resetting something. That is my positive thought and I am continue using Niacin weekly on that basis, because it has been something that has provided one of the best clearing experiences for me, even if that was mainly in my first weeks of using it a few months back.

I am also thinking this could be some overall reaction to the shock of the Flush. The first time I got the flush a few months back after taking 200MG (too much), I got the shakes for 30 minutes, as well as a flush.

Any other similar experiences or thoughts out there? I am so disillusioned with P O I S !!!

Hi Colm,

I've just read your post and am hoping that one or more of the men here who use niacin can add some insight, based on their experience.

Your description of the "shock" reaction that occurs ~ 12 hours after taking niacin made me think of some type of temporary re-bound effect. Since niacin causes vasodilation (the niacin "flush" ) -- perhaps your system compensates by temporary vasoconstriction. That could also possibly explain the sudden sensitivity to cold.

I did scan the literature to see if niacin decreases immunity, because of your coming down with some flu-like condition (twice!) after taking it.  I couldn't find anything about niacin leading to altered immunity.

This interpretation of mine might not be even marginally correct!! But the rebound effect did occur to me right away, so I wanted to let you know.

Perhaps others here with niacin experience can chime in? A reply from me on this is nothing compared to hearing from others who are affected by POIS and who might have similar experiences with niacin.

Best wishes to you!

Stef

Stef,

Thanks very much for the reply to my post - it is helpful. My Mum in law passed away last w/e, so only getting back to the site now. Appreciate your post.

Colm

« Reply #1107 on: February 15, 2014, 09:22:12 AM »
Sorry Colm,

I hadn't even seen the post. The RSS doesn't show all posts, so it got by me.

First I would suggest, that it only be taken before the orgasm. We've known that continual consumption raises the thresholds, and therefore lowers the effectivity.

Also if there ARE any negative effects in some, that these would be amplified by taking the niacin more regularly.

Also when taken before the orgasm, it seems as though a metabolism change consumes the niacin, and therefore doesn't leave "excess niacin" floating around in the system. They say that niacin has a half-life of somewhere around 6 hrs. So I suppose once a day, there won't be much "excess" from day to the next. But, we have a particular condition, and when taken before orgasm, the niacin is "used" for something beneficial. If it is not consumed for that "beneficial thing", then it must be metabolized by some other process.

I have noticed that if I take niacin and don't have an orgasm (if I take 3 or 400 mg and don't get a flush for instance) I feel a lot more sluggish for a day or two. On the other hand, even though at times it might require those 3 or 400 mg to get a flush, as long as I orgasm, there doesn't seem to be any problem.

So although I haven't take very much outside of orgasm, yes, when I do, I usually feel negative effects for a good day.
I ONLY take it before orgasm, unless for some extenuating circumstance.

I think it important to follow these guidlines. Also have your liver checked, at least once, better twice a year. Just in case. Normally this is recommended with high doses (1000mg daily for instance), and shouldn't be a problem at our levels, but each person is different, and it's always better to be safe.

Daveman, Thanks for the reply to my post - it is a good steer that I best take Niacin with orgasm and maybe not without. Sorry for only getting back to the site now to say thanks for  support and additional info.

demografx

• Administrator
« Reply #1108 on: February 18, 2014, 01:33:46 AM »
Colm, my belated condolences.
Demo

Colm

« Reply #1109 on: February 18, 2014, 05:33:08 PM »
Thanks Demo

Clycos

« Reply #1110 on: February 19, 2014, 10:55:48 PM »
Hey guys I need your advice for something, I have a really important interview exactly a week from today; my question is this: what do you guys think is better in terms of anxiety and mental ability, keep abstaining and have my interview on Day 12, or have an O today and have the interview on Day 6? Need your advice please help thank you!

Colm

« Reply #1111 on: February 20, 2014, 09:13:22 AM »
Hey guys I need your advice for something, I have a really important interview exactly a week from today; my question is this: what do you guys think is better in terms of anxiety and mental ability, keep abstaining and have my interview on Day 12, or have an O today and have the interview on Day 6? Need your advice please help thank you!
Lycopoulos,

A difficult one. If you have a reasonably clear next 6 days and aren't under pressure with other things too much, might be worth condiring an 'O' soon, if you believe you would be well for day 6 interview.

It depends on how your own cycle tends to work and whether there is a danger of a Nocturnal Emission also, if you didn't 'O' now.

I recently had a crucial days work, and unusually had an NE two days before. It really affected what I did that day, and I had to resort to all sorts, just to get through it.

If you do go for it now, just be sure that you are normally (in your world) starting to feel better by two days or so before interview, so you have a positive mindset, and have clear head space to prep and perform as well as you can.

Good luck in the interview and with your decision.

demografx

• Administrator
« Reply #1112 on: February 20, 2014, 10:21:12 PM »
Good luck and best wishes, Lycopoulos!
Demo

demografx

• Administrator
« Reply #1113 on: February 20, 2014, 11:36:18 PM »
For those of you interested in my TRT (testosterone replacement therapy) for POIS:

My recent (Feb 7) testosterone readings...with a remark of "good!" by my doctor --

Range
Testosterone, Total         436            250 - 1100 ng/dL

Testosterone, Free          75.5           35.0 - 155.0 pg/mL

I take Androderm 8mg/day (2 T-patches), 365 days/year...for several years now.

If you're interested, check infertility risks with your doctor. My sperm count went to zero, possibly due to this treatment. But I have children already, so it's ok (for me).

« Last Edit: February 21, 2014, 12:14:04 AM by demografx »

Observer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1114 on: February 23, 2014, 07:17:11 AM »
Hello everyone.

Firstly, let me say that I feel sorry for your loss, Colm.

I would like to add something about Colm´s experiences with niacin. This is my own experience.

If I take niacin(whether experiencing the flush or not), but I do not have an orgasm; then I will suffer a mild-Pois version(symptoms which resemble POIS, very cold hands. lower physical and mental energy, It´s like a 20% POIS) that lasts for some days. In that case, I´ll always feel the effects 3 hours, 3 1/2 hours after taking niacin.

If I take my usual amount of niacin(200-250mg), but I don´t experience the flush; then I will suffer again a mild-POIS after orgasm.

And this is something that I realized some time ago: Sometimes if I take niacin and get the flush; I can experience a mild POIS - ONLY IF i had sexual intercourse. This doesn´t happen always, but right now what I am doing is to  have a second "self-inflicted"(masturbation) orgasm after intercourse just to eliminate the possibility . This will clear my symptoms away.

And if I masturbate after taking niacin(and having the flush), I´ll be ok.

So I reached the conclusion that niacin is some kind of double edge sword. My advice is to use it ONLY IF you are 100% sure that you are going to orgasm after having a flush.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2014, 07:20:48 AM by Observer »

Clycos

« Reply #1115 on: February 23, 2014, 11:52:52 AM »
Hey, just wanted to say a big thanks to Colm and Demo for you help! I ended up abstaining for the entire time, so I will do my interview on Day 12. Weird thing happened to me yesterday and I?m curious if this is POIS related and if you guys have experienced this before. Yesterday I was on Day 8, everything was great, clear-minded, no anxiety etc. and all the sudden in the middle of the day something changed in me and POIS reappeared out of nowhere. I was brain fogged and socially awkward; let me be clear on this, yesterday was Day 8 since O, I get symptoms but did not have an O yesterday. Please share your experiences if you have any with this.

Colm

« Reply #1116 on: February 24, 2014, 09:09:37 AM »
Hello everyone.

I would like to add something about Colm?s experiences with niacin. This is my own experience.

If I take niacin(whether experiencing the flush or not), but I do not have an orgasm; then I will suffer a mild-Pois version(symptoms which resemble POIS, very cold hands. lower physical and mental energy, It?s like a 20% POIS) that lasts for some days. In that case, I?ll always feel the effects 3 hours, 3 1/2 hours after taking niacin.

If I take my usual amount of niacin(200-250mg), but I don?t experience the flush; then I will suffer again a mild-POIS after orgasm.

And this is something that I realized some time ago: Sometimes if I take niacin and get the flush; I can experience a mild POIS - ONLY IF i had sexual intercourse. This doesn?t happen always, but right now what I am doing is to  have a second "self-inflicted"(masturbation) orgasm after intercourse just to eliminate the possibility . This will clear my symptoms away.

And if I masturbate after taking niacin(and having the flush), I?ll be ok.

So I reached the conclusion that niacin is some kind of double edge sword. My advice is to use it ONLY IF you are 100% sure that you are going to orgasm after having a flush.
Hi Observer,

Thank you very much for this input and sharing your experience here. That is very helpful, and also support's Davemen's previous inputs on the Niacin front.

Your advice to use it ONLY IF 100% sure that one is going to orgasm after having a flush, is something I will now take on board. I will update on the board, if any additional experiences. I am sure someone with a more scientific mind (not ME I'm afraid), can contribute to why this proves to be a tendency for physiological interactions with Niacin B3 Flush.

Worth (potentially) exploring a bit more as part of the 2014 research, I would propose.

Colm

« Reply #1117 on: February 24, 2014, 09:17:22 AM »
Hey, just wanted to say a big thanks to Colm and Demo for you help! I ended up abstaining for the entire time, so I will do my interview on Day 12. Weird thing happened to me yesterday and I?m curious if this is POIS related and if you guys have experienced this before. Yesterday I was on Day 8, everything was great, clear-minded, no anxiety etc. and all the sudden in the middle of the day something changed in me and POIS reappeared out of nowhere. I was brain fogged and socially awkward; let me be clear on this, yesterday was Day 8 since O, I get symptoms but did not have an O yesterday. Please share your experiences if you have any with this.

Do you know what Lycopoulos,

I think POIS lurks in the background and stress can bring it up. As it is a condition that affects us physioligcally and maybe neurologically (more than many of us thought), stress, like an impending life event - interview etc - might just trigger the lurking beast.

I think with this element of POIS, it might clear though exercise, relaxation or other things that work for individuals in their symptoms management. It may not even be POIS, just stress at work. With the full POIS (post 3-7 days for different guys), the symptom management stuff has a more limited impact. Try focus on the positives for day 12, and believe in yourself (just try and forget POIS for the few hours you need to be focused!)

Very best of luck man.

demografx

• Administrator
« Reply #1118 on: February 25, 2014, 09:19:57 PM »

I think POIS lurks in the background and stress can bring it up.

Exactly what my endocrinologist said when I was stressed out - yet "cured" - but I still had a smattering of POIS during "stress periods"!!

« Last Edit: February 25, 2014, 09:21:38 PM by demografx »

Ccconfucius

« Reply #1119 on: February 26, 2014, 04:40:14 PM »
this  happens to me all the time i.never.figured out why.
i.have.always suspected maybe it is something i eat