Author Topic: Saw Palmetto  (Read 8684 times)

Vincent M

• Physical overshadows cognitive symptoms. 10yrs.
Saw Palmetto
« on: September 11, 2011, 10:31:08 AM »
I've been taking saw palmetto capsules for about a week now with a good amount of success in lessening POIS symptoms. If I take one 540mg capsule I have a window of time that starts about 20-30 min after I take the pill in which I can have an orgasm with much less POIS afterwards. The window lasts for about 2 to 3 hrs.

The way it reduces my POIS seems to be by lessening inflammation. It help reduce my POIS symptoms in these areas: digestion, pain during bowel movements & urination, general muscle & joint pains all over, energy, scalp irritation/itchyness/dryness.

I'm not sure how much it affects brain fog since my physical pains generally overshadow my cognitive problems, but I'm pretty sure saw palmetto helps at least a little with brain fog since after taking it thinking doesn't hurt nearly as much as during unaided POIS.

The exciting thing for me though is the fact that it almost completely eliminates my scalp irritation. Before I started saw palmetto I had gotten to the point where my scalp was so itchy and dry that I had started a bad habit of pulling individual hairs out of my head, because it oddly satisfied the itchy feeling (I think prozac caused this somehow, because after taking it for a month one spot on my scalp became much worse). Saw palmetto is supposed to reduce the prostate by stopping testosterone from being converted to DHT (Dihydrotestosterone) and is also somewhat known to slow male hair loss by this same mechanism.

I still take fenugreek + garlic most days. When compared to saw palmetto it seems to help more with brain fog, energy, muscle & joint pain, constipation, anxiety & mood, general sensitivity to pain and other stimuli, and my facial irritation and burning eyes.

I've been cycling between them rather than taking both fenugreek and saw palmetto at the same time.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2011, 10:35:34 AM by Vincent Marcus »
Taking ginger tea, no wheat, fenugreek+green tea/garlic, saw palmetto, niacin, boswellia, huperzine, B complex and nutmeg. See my treatment summary post for more info: http://poiscenter.com/forums/index.php?topic=81.msg3513#msg3513

Egordon

Re: Saw Palmetto
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2011, 02:55:16 PM »
Vincent,

I know you were one of the folks that O'd just about every day -- and thereby weren't the ideal Niacin candidate -- but did you ever give it a try? I works! I swear.
POIS since I was about 15. 1.75 years of desens and I'm now about 80% POIS free. Still working through best practices for maintaining my immunity and administering my injections with my doctor. Email me if you have tips or questions!

Vincent M

« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2011, 05:54:05 PM »
Yes I've tried it about 3 times so far and it does work pretty well for me actually, but it works a bit differently for me. It mainly improves my physical strength and endurance during POIS and greatly lessens joint pains, but it doesn't kick in until I've had  good long sleep and a nutritious meal with plenty of animal protein.

Niacin improves my physical strength and endurance while in POIS by about 2 or 3 times- perhaps even more. I'm loving it. I plan on taking it once every week.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2011, 05:59:45 PM by Vincent Marcus »
Taking ginger tea, no wheat, fenugreek+green tea/garlic, saw palmetto, niacin, boswellia, huperzine, B complex and nutmeg. See my treatment summary post for more info: http://poiscenter.com/forums/index.php?topic=81.msg3513#msg3513

Animus

« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2011, 12:44:06 AM »
Yes I've tried it about 3 times so far and it does work pretty well for me actually, but it works a bit differently for me. It mainly improves my physical strength and endurance during POIS and greatly lessens joint pains, but it doesn't kick in until I've had  good long sleep and a nutritious meal with plenty of animal protein.

Niacin improves my physical strength and endurance while in POIS by about 2 or 3 times- perhaps even more. I'm loving it. I plan on taking it once every week.

Great to hear you're trying Saw Palmetto. I use it too and notice a good effect...
I started using Saw Palmetto as a way to reduce my prostate, and I found that helped a lot with my POIS symptoms, so I still take it. I first started with a very good gel capsule, and it worked great. I think the whole natural herb is working just as well, and it's cheaper too. right now I'm doing 3x 450mg per day.

Vincent M

« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2011, 01:02:15 PM »
We should add saw palmetto to the list of herbal/alternate treatments. So far I know me, Cornelius, and Animus take it with a good amount of POIS symptom reduction.