Author Topic: An article for the effects of sexual arousal on the immune system. (2004)  (Read 9399 times)

emi_b

• Lab1
I think I have found a very important article.

Article name: Effects of Sexual Arousal on Lymphocyte Subset Circulation and Cytokine Production in Man
Authors: Philip Haakea, Tillmann H.C. Kruegera, Marion U. Goebela, Katharina M. Heberlinga, Uwe Hartmannb, Manfred Schedlowskia

Link to the article. (just the abstract)

Abstract:
Objective: Sexual arousal and orgasm induce an increase in sympathetic activity as well as in catecholamine and prolactin plasma concentrations. However, the effects of sexual arousal and orgasm on immune functions in man are unknown. Thus, this study investigated the effects of masturbation-induced orgasm on lymphocyte circulation and cytokine production in healthy young males.
Methods: In a crossover design, 11 volunteers completed an experimental condition in which they were asked to masturbate until orgasm and to participate in a control condition without sexual activity. Blood was drawn continuously for determination of endocrine parameters. In addition, leukocyte and lymphocyte subsets were analyzed via flow cytometry, and the production of lipopolysaccharide-induced interleukin 6 and tumor necrosis factor alpha was measured before and then 5 and 45 min after the orgasm.
Results: The results confirmed transient increases in adrenaline and prolactin plasma concentrations. Sexual arousal and orgasm increased the absolute number of leukocytes, in particular natural killer cells (CD3–CD16+CD56+), in the peripheral blood. In contrast, T cell (CD3+) and B cell (CD3–CD20+) subpopulations as well as the production of interleukin 6 and tumor necrosins factor alpha remained unaffected by sexual activity.
Conclusion: These findings demonstrate that components of the innate immune system are activated by sexual arousal and orgasm.
I have cognitive, psychological and physical symptoms.
I am apologizing for my English if it is unclear.

Starsky

• NDL_Group
http://content.karger.com/ProdukteDB/produkte.asp?Aktion=ShowPDF&ArtikelNr=79409&Ausgabe=230291&ProduktNr=224176&filename=79409.pdf

whole article

I will write today a message to the author of this article, perhaps he will be intressted in our condition.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2011, 12:21:04 PM by Starsky »

Daveman

• Administrator
Thanks you two good finds.

I wonder if we might not be seeing changes in T-Cell production (increase) and or IL-6 (a reduction) to cause POIS. These in normal individuals don't change.

WITHOUT RESEARCH THERE WILL BE NO CURE!
Sessions 5 to 9 days, mostly Flu-like, joints, digestion problems, light cognitive.
Niacin has changed my lif though, now 1 day MAX.
Somewhere in this interaction with Niacin is the answer!

Starsky

• NDL_Group
The lymphocyte
subpopulations analyzed by flow cytometry
showed an increase in NK cell (CD3–CD16+CD56+)
numbers (F = 26.72; p ! 0.001) immediately after the
orgasm which returned to baseline values 45 min after the
orgasm.

Perhaps we return to baseline not 45 min after O but after 7 days? Perhaps its more complicated and such tests give us the answer what happens in our immune system. I will try to ask Dr. Schedlowski if he could repeat this study with few POIS sufferers. This is an old article, did we see it before?
« Last Edit: June 28, 2011, 06:22:50 PM by Starsky »

emi_b

• Lab1
http://content.karger.com/ProdukteDB/produkte.asp?Aktion=ShowPDF&ArtikelNr=79409&Ausgabe=230291&ProduktNr=224176&filename=79409.pdf

whole article

I will write today a message to the author of this article, perhaps he will be intressted in our condition.

Good idea. One of the authors, is co-author in many studies about orgasm and sexual arousal.
Dr. Tillmann Krüger
Look at his scientific work. A gold mine of scientific informations. :)
UPDATE: An up to date list of his work: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed?term=%22Kruger%20TH%22%5BAuthor%5D

The lymphocyte
subpopulations analyzed by flow cytometry
showed an increase in NK cell (CD3–CD16+CD56+)
numbers (F = 26.72; p ! 0.001) immediately after the
orgasm which returned to baseline values 45 min after the
orgasm.

Perhaps we return to baseline not 45 min after O but after 7 days? Perhaps its more complicated and such tests give us the answer what happens in our immune system. I will try to ask Dr. Schedlowski if he could repeat this study with few POIS sufferers. This is an old article, did we see it before?

If you look at the conclusion it states:
These findings demonstrate that components of the innate immune system are activated by sexual arousal and orgasm.
I think POIS is an adaptive immune response not an innate one, but I believe the two systems: innate and adaptive immune systems are linked somehow. So the study findings might play a role in POIS.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2011, 07:55:22 AM by emi_b »
I have cognitive, psychological and physical symptoms.
I am apologizing for my English if it is unclear.

Daveman

• Administrator
If some part of the innate auto-immune system doesn't react, it could cause POIS type symptoms.

IL-6 for instance is a disinflamatory. In some innate reactions, like exercise, it rises to prevent inflamatio. If it does not rise, you suffer inflamation (I've heard that this permits inflamation of the meningis, 'nervous system covering'), which would produce nervous system pain AND cognitive problems.

In this case, it says that IL-6 does not activate normally, so maybe it's not precisely this.... but some other element, either activating or not activating when it should.....

Sessions 5 to 9 days, mostly Flu-like, joints, digestion problems, light cognitive.

Ccconfucius

i think we should email tim kulliger to, or is starsky emailing all of them.

Daveman

• Administrator
We could indicate that we hope to be presenting an RFP at NORD for a seed grant into POIS, and that they may be interested in pursuing it.

« Last Edit: June 29, 2011, 11:50:13 AM by Daveman »