Author Topic: Hi - Do you think I could have POIS?  (Read 5018 times)

CoolWave

Hi - Do you think I could have POIS?
« on: October 13, 2014, 12:00:14 AM »
So I found out about POIS today. I'm a guy.

I have discovered that a single climax makes me feel absolutely exhausted and depleted for days.

The feeling I experience is very similar to the comedown off hard stimulants. Seriously it's that bad I'm not even exaggerating. I can't think straight, I'm super irritable, I feel weak, tired, unmotivated...

I did not connect this to orgasm until recently when I did some experimentation with sexual abstinence and noticed feeling absolutely amazing after about 4 days of abstinence, like a completely new man. Then I wanked and immediately went back to feeling extreme exhaustion. Honestly I feel completely gaga in the head like I just cant even think properly.

Before this realization, I struggled to connect what was causing this exhaustion. I have been to doctors many times. They always run tests on me and tell me I'm fine.

Do you think this could be POIS? It sure doesn't seem normal!! Would there even be a point trying to get a diagnosis when there's no cure? Or should I just abstain from sex since that makes things better?

Thanks.

mellivora

Re: Hi - Do you think I could have POIS?
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2014, 08:10:10 AM »
Hi Coolwave, it certainly sounds like you have POIS to me. Symptoms vary between individuals such that some people get muscle aches and others don't, some people get blocked sinuses etc more than others, there's a whole spectrum of symptoms.For me and lots of people here (and probably for you?), the main symptoms are cognitive - 'brain fog', inability to think clearly and the feeling of being very tired - a bit like having a bad hangover from drinking but  without an actual headache as such. I have struggled to identify anything that definitely helps my POIS but others here have had success with Niacin (taken BEFORE orgasm) - have a search through some of the threads here for details - and one or two other things.

You join us at an exciting time though. As you might have read here, there is a research programme starting in New Jersey, USA into a possible cause of POIS. The research was funded by POIS sufferers through NORD (National Organisation for Rare Disorders and is being conducted by Dr Barry Komisaruk. Put some more time into reading the threads here and ask more questions. One thing is for sure, if you have POIS its a little easier to live with knowing this forum is here and that there are other sufferers out there who understand the difficulties of living with POIS. I'm glad you found us...

There's a thread about how to apply for participation in the research study if you want to here: http://poiscenter.com/forums/index.php?topic=1478.0

FloppyBanana

« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2014, 10:32:47 AM »
Hi Coolwave,

It sounds like POIS to me.

I would recommend reading the POIS medical papers which can be provided to you by the forum adim (Demografx or Daveman).

FloppyB
30 years of POIS. Mytelase after O with Iceman breathing technique.

demografx

• Administrator
  • All of us working together to defeat POIS!
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2014, 11:19:10 AM »

I have discovered that a single climax makes me feel absolutely exhausted and depleted for days.

Describes my 30+ years' POIS experience perfectly!

« Last Edit: October 13, 2014, 03:29:18 PM by demografx »
10 years of significant POIS-reduction, treatment consisting of daily (365 days/year) testosterone patches.

TRT must be checked out carefully with your doctor due to fertility, cardiac and other risks.

40+ years of severe 4-days-POIS, married, raised a family, started/ran a business

demografx

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2014, 12:07:28 PM »

I would recommend reading the POIS medical papers which can be provided to you by the forum adim (Demografx or Daveman).

Yes, CoolWave, just let me or Daveman know and we will email you the PDF.

We will use your email that is shown right under your name whenever you post.
Demo
10 years of significant POIS-reduction, treatment consisting of daily (365 days/year) testosterone patches.

TRT must be checked out carefully with your doctor due to fertility, cardiac and other risks.

40+ years of severe 4-days-POIS, married, raised a family, started/ran a business

demografx

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2014, 12:09:34 PM »
Welcome to POISCenter!

Here are some POIS resources which may be helpful to you:

We are proud to announce our first POIS research grant, awarded in December, 2013, to be managed for us by the National Organization for Rare Disorders (NORD). Grant awarded to:

Barry Komisaruk, PhD (Principal Investigator), Distinguished Professor of Psychology
Rutgers University
Newark, New Jersey, USA
Study title: Is POIS a Case of Vagal Dystonia? -- An fMRI Brain Activity Analysis

More about our Grant:
You can start here, continue reading following pages and other forum threads:
http://poiscenter.com/forums/index.php?topic=426.msg11042#msg11042

Click here to see Mat780's excellent YouTube POIS Channel.   Mat's YouTube videos include (1) our great new April 12 POIS TV Documentary. A must-see. And (2) The Learning Channel documentary, featuring our forum member "Animus".

Click here to see The POIS reddit post.  Outsiders (non-POISers) spontaneously gifted NORD's POIS Research Grant $1,000+ from this reddit post. Thanks to "mellivora" and "CertainlyPOIS"!

Our POIS chatroom (realtime chat). Invite or visit another member(s) there, ANY TIME. We can all get to know each other better:
Just click here first, and then look for "CHAT" button towards top of page, 6th button to your right!

Our POIS Forum - architectural genius: "Daveman" - for detailed subject-by-subject discussion.
http://www.POISCenter.com/forums/index.php

Our POIS Information Website, built by "mat780", is here:
http://sites.google.com/site/POISwebsite/

The POIS Information Website is home to the POIS Forum Compendium, written by "Pyropeach", and contains theories already discussed here and treatments that have both worked and failed.

Please see "B_Jim"'s POIS Summary of All Cases, here as well as others on the Web. This includes remedies that we have tested, and results.
http://www.thenakedscientists.com/forum/index.php?topic=6576.msg149009#msg149009

"Girlwind" has created an excellent POIS Video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UWBxAUC9k1g

Post Orgasmic Illness Syndrome "POIS": Case report

Authors:
Abdalla M Attia*, Magda H Al-Ziny, Hossam A Yasien
*Corresponding author: Andrology Unit, Minoufiya University, Shibin El Kom, Eygpt

For more info, check out emi_b's  SMF POIS thread:
http://poiscenter.com/forums/index.php?topic=191.0;topicseen

POIS Research Studies available Upon Request:

1. and 2. POIS Research Studies, 2011

These 2 papers reveal Dr. Waldinger's POIS autoimmune hypothesis and suggest one possible avenue of treatment.

3. First POIS Research Study, 2002

We have a copy of the first formal medical investigation on POIS by Prof. dr. Marcel D. Waldinger,MD, Ph.D., and Dr. Dave Schweitzer, MD.

4. Recent POIS Research Study, 2010

CASE REPORT
Postorgasm Illness Syndrome - A Spectrum of Illnesses
Jane Ashby, MRCP, and David Goldmeier, MRCP
http://www.thenakedscientists.com/forum/index.php?topic=6576.msg316781#msg316781

5. British Medical Journal Case Report, 2010

Case study by Dr. Selwyn Dexter of a patient with a headache-featured POIS symptom treated with progesterone/norethisterone.
http://casereports.bmj.com/content/2010/bcr.10.2009.2359.short?rss=1

How to get any or all of the above 5 studies: send the Administrators "demografx" or "daveman" a Private Message (PM) with your regular email address (e.g., jim@abc.com) and we'll send you back the PDF(s).

To send a Private Message, click on messages link at the very top of this page. Then click "Send Message". From that point on, it works just like posting a message here, except that it only goes to the person(s) you designate.

New York Times article,

January 20, 2009
Mind
Sex and Depression: In the Brain, if Not the Mind
By RICHARD A. FRIEDMAN, M.D.
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/01/20/health/views/20mind.html?_r=1&scp=1&sq=friedman%20sexual%20January%2020&st=cse

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

In addition to serving our own informational interests, the resources listed above can be useful for you to show our credibility to the medical world - which often shows little understanding and is sometimes skeptical of our condition: POIS has scientific underpinnings and POIS is not "just another psychological problem" related to sex - to be treated by the psychiatric/psychotherapeutic community. All of this information can greatly help you to fight the immediate reaction of some doctors: so just tell them, "IT'S NOT 'ALL IN YOUR HEAD'! "

It can be very  helpful to you when dealing with medical professionals to point this out. Click to see

POIS' official listing, as recognized by the
National Institutes for Health (NIH), Office of Rare Diseases Research
:

And in Europe: Orphanet now lists POIS on their website. - Click here.

The Post Orgasmic Illness Syndrome (P.O.I.S.) Forum is listed in the organization database of the National Organization for Rare Disorders (NORD) -- http://poiscenter.com/forums/index.php.  The link for this, through their home page, is --
http://rarediseases.org/rare-disease-information/organizations/byID/3136/viewDetail.

POIS also appears in credible medical sources such as the Journal of Sexual Medicine (Dr. Waldinger's study), British Medical Journal (Dr. Selwyn Dexter's study), and wikipedia:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Postorgasmic_illness_syndrome

For over 5 years, our POIS forum has attracted over 200 POIS sufferers worldwide who have posted here, research on an additional 200 sufferers elsewhere on the internet, plus our pages have been read nearly 2,000,000 times. Not bad for a rare malady.

Show some of this to your doctor - with pride. Chances are, you know far more about POIS than s/he does. Don't be intimidated by fancy diplomas. It's almost impossible for any one doctor to know much about POIS before you walk into his/her office. Unfortunately, it's up to you to educate them. And if you happen to find yourself with a disagreeable "student"-doctor (you're the teacher), find another doctor. Quickly!

SEARCH THE NSF FORUM ARCHIVES WITH GOOGLE

We have an overwhelming amount of NSF data: more than 5 years' worth of posts (over  10,000 posts!) from 200+ Forum members, and an additional 200 POIS sufferers found elsewhere on the Internet by Member B_Jim.

In the Google search box, type
whatever-it-is-you're-interested-in-finding-out[space]POIS[space]site:http://thenakedscientists.com/

for example, I tried
nocturnal emission POIS site:http://thenakedscientists.com/

and 740 results came up for "nocturnal emission" within the Forum.

be careful with spaces (you can use them before the word "site") and no-spaces (everything after the word "site")

Google even provides you results with the Message# for each result. But Message #'s do change, so be patient and look for the approximate Message#.

Prancer

« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2014, 01:41:56 PM »
Hi CoolWave - great to see you! Sorry to hear about your symptoms (sounds like POIS to me). The good news is that you found others who are just like you! It feels amazing knowing you're not the only one suffering from those crazy symptoms, and even more amazing to know that each day we're closer to a real cure than ever before. There's a ton of good information throughout the forum, and many helpful, nice people (just like demografx & FloppyBanana) who will answer any questions that you might have as a newcomer. Welcome! :]

demografx

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2014, 02:47:16 PM »

There's a ton of good information throughout the forum, and many helpful, nice people (just like demografx & FloppyBanana) who will answer any questions that you might have as a newcomer. Welcome! :]

Yup!

And add "Daveman" to the 'helpful' list above!

« Last Edit: October 13, 2014, 03:19:07 PM by demografx »

Stef

« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2014, 03:40:18 PM »

There's a ton of good information throughout the forum, and many helpful, nice people (just like demografx & FloppyBanana) who will answer any questions that you might have as a newcomer. Welcome! :]

Yup!

Demo, I would add Prancer to the list of many helpful, nice people who are always ready to welcome new
people to this forum.

Prancer -- you're a wonderful forum member. Your support for others is always genuine, :-)

Stef

demografx

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2014, 03:44:18 PM »
And I neglected to mention you, Stef, because you are already so heavily committed to us!!!!

demografx

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2014, 03:56:32 PM »

Demo, I would add Prancer to the list of many helpful, nice people who are always ready to welcome new
people to this forum.

Prancer -- you're a wonderful forum member. Your support for others is always genuine, :-)

Stef

Yes, Stef!!!

Prancer is a    Forum King :)

« Last Edit: October 13, 2014, 04:24:56 PM by demografx »

demografx

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2014, 04:16:06 PM »

I have been to doctors many times. They always run tests on me and tell me I'm fine.

..when it comes to POIS  !!...

« Last Edit: October 13, 2014, 04:23:32 PM by demografx »

Prancer

« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2014, 06:15:16 PM »

Yup!

people to this forum.

Stef

That's so nice Stef - thank you! I love welcoming new members because I know how hard POIS is, how anxious they must be when posting for the first time, and I'm a big believer in empathy. So nice of you to say that Stef.

And thank you too demo! Yes, Daveman too, and almost anyone (to help out our newcomer with questions). I really don't want to be a forum king though! I'm just a POISer, and empathizing, well, it just feels natural to me. I feel good when others feel good!

CoolWave

« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2014, 11:02:02 PM »
I'm so glad I have discovered this forum.

For so long, I have been confused. See, I would be fine at times, then suddenly I would crash and feel terrible. I considered all kinds of things! My diet, my exercise habits, vitamin deficiencies, sleep patterns, maybe a virus infection. THERE JUST DIDN'T SEEM TO BE ANY CONNECTION!!!

Blood tests.... ALWAYS COME BACK FINE. On paper, I'm totally healthy!

It was only by chance I discovered the true cause of my problems when I was experimenting with sexual abstinence as a discipline building exercise...

I have no mental hangups about sex, so it's not like I'm guilt-ridden or something like that. I just feel super hungover.

My gosh... this is crazy.

Thanks guys, I'll be checking out the info you've gathered over the next few days.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2014, 11:04:47 PM by CoolWave »