Author Topic: MCAS - Quercetin and antihistamines enough?  (Read 1931 times)

starfleet

MCAS - Quercetin and antihistamines enough?
« on: January 02, 2021, 12:39:24 PM »
I am in the UK so it's not easy to get prescription medication for MCAS and getting an NHS diagnosis is dragging on due to delays caused by COVID-19.

In the meantime, I would like to address my symptoms (POIS, hives, brain fog, fatigue, IBS) through natural/over-the-counter treatments as best I can.

I have purchased Quercetin (with vitamin C) and have 10mg loratadine daily antihistamine. I am not sure why but it's difficult to buy H2 blockers in the UK and I also cannot find many reliable suppliers of luteolin.

Should Quercetin and loratadine be sufficient to significantly help my symptoms, or is there any other essential natural/over-the-counter treatment I am missing?

Muon

• MCAD Thread
Re: MCAS - Quercetin and antihistamines enough?
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2021, 04:12:13 PM »
It's trial and error. They often use a combination of H1 and H2 blockers.

https://poiscenter.com/forums/index.php?topic=3236.msg33462#msg33462

Important information regarding Luteolin: Luteolin supplements: All that glitters is not gold

Disaster

« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2021, 03:12:39 AM »
I have mild MCAS as my POIs has worsened over the years so has MCAS but my POIS is much worse. MCAS med or allergy meds do not help at all
POIS sufferer for over 3 decades. Has progressively gotten worse over the years and I became completely disabled around 2011. My case of POIS is very severe.

Journey

• MM group
  • INTP, 19 y.o. aware of POIS since 2019
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2021, 03:46:22 AM »
I have mild MCAS as my POIs has worsened over the years so has MCAS but my POIS is much worse. MCAS med or allergy meds do not help at all
Have you checked what others with MCAS have tried and then tried those things to see if they help with anything?

Disaster

« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2021, 06:28:41 PM »
yes of course. The #1 authority on MCAS is Dr. Afrin and he wrote a big book about it that is available on Amazon. Came out maybe 2 years ago. He sees patients in NY, he was forced to leave his hospital because they viewed his patients and practice as on the fringe so-to-speak. But he lists all the possible treatments.  a lot are surprising.  I have not tried them all, but I tried maybe 6 so far. But all 6 have not made a dent in my POIS and barely help my MCAS.
POIS sufferer for over 3 decades. Has progressively gotten worse over the years and I became completely disabled around 2011. My case of POIS is very severe.

drop247

« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2021, 01:01:47 PM »
I think daily antihistamines would be of great help to me. My concern is antihistamines work as inverse agonists instead of antagonists. This means that over time my histamine receptors would likely become upregulated. There is some evidence for this here:
https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/29667234/

I would be much more happy to be able to stop the release of histamine and increase the elimination of histamine from my body instead of just blocking the receptors with antihistamines. I'm still not sure how user happy2 cured his POIS with long term antihistamine usage.