Author Topic: NORD Interim Report for POIS Study  (Read 286026 times)

demografx

• Administrator
  • All of us working together to defeat POIS!
Re: NORD Interim Report for POIS Study
« Reply #100 on: January 29, 2016, 01:02:52 AM »

Stimulating the vagus nerve

1. Meditation
2. Have Positive Social Relationships
3. Breath Deeply and Slowly
4. Probiotics
5. Exercise
6. Cold
7. Massages
8. Fasting
9. Sleep or Lay on Your Right Side
10. Yoga
11. Tai Chi
12. Singing or Chanting
13. Gargling
14. Tongue Depressors
15. Acupuncture
16. Oxytocin
17. Zinc
18. Serotonin
19. Chew Gum: CCK
20. Laughter
21. Coffee Enemas
22. Coughing or Tensing the Stomach Muscles
23. Fish Oil – EPA and DHA
24. Make Sure Your Thyroid Hormones/T3 Are Normal
25. Prayer

Thanks, Colm! Are these in order of importance?

Demo,

They were really just a shortened version I plucked from something that forum member USERNAME posted here before from the link http://selfhacked.com/2015/07/30/28-ways-to-stimulate-your-vagus-nerve-and-all-you-need-to-know-about-it/

Just thought many wouldn't go into the link, but I felt the heading behaviours were interesting. Hopefully we don't have to do them all 3 times per day to fix our Vagus nerve :))

Regards,
Colm
« Last Edit: January 29, 2016, 03:34:43 PM by COLM_2 »
10 years of significant POIS-reduction, treatment consisting of daily (365 days/year) testosterone patches.

TRT must be checked out carefully with your doctor due to fertility, cardiac and other risks.

40+ years of severe 4-days-POIS, married, raised a family, started/ran a business

zeynali900

• POISers of the world unite!
« Reply #101 on: January 29, 2016, 10:09:41 AM »
I have tried chewing gum a few times. I think it reduces my symptoms temporarily about 25%, that means if I stop chewing gum then that 25% improvement vanishes. Also watching an exciting movie seems to help.

I wonder why the vagal research is taking too long? I hope that research finds some solid results and some easy and effective ways to stimulate the vagus nerve.
fatigue - eye fatigue - muscle weakness - poor mental functioning - problem recalling words - mild pain in muscles, eyes, head, and neck - lightheadedness - depression - lethargy - red eyes - fever
26 single male suffering since teenage
symptoms occur immediately or up to 30 minutes

cxm7

« Reply #102 on: February 06, 2016, 08:48:42 PM »
Very interesting. I registered in part to share somewhere that I have noticed POIS symptoms change while undergoing various treatments with hydrocodone, metoprolol, and IIRC, pseudoephedrine. They may be working by secondary effects (hydrocodone and pseudoephedrine both affect prolactin/dopamine, metoprolol affects prolactin levels and blocks certain neurochemical processes) but those three substances are also vagolytics.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2016, 09:02:01 PM by cxm7 »

demografx

• Administrator
« Reply #103 on: February 06, 2016, 08:58:22 PM »
Welcome to POISCenter, cxm7!
10 years of significant POIS-reduction, treatment consisting of daily (365 days/year) testosterone patches.

TRT must be checked out carefully with your doctor due to fertility, cardiac and other risks.

40+ years of severe 4-days-POIS, married, raised a family, started/ran a business

demografx

• Administrator
« Reply #104 on: February 06, 2016, 09:05:09 PM »
I wonder why the vagal research is taking too long?
Nature of the beast. I agree with you: research on rare disorders is painfully slow! I waited my whole life (decades) so I might be a LITTLE more patient :)

Thanks for bearing with it.

demografx

• Administrator
« Reply #105 on: February 06, 2016, 09:14:18 PM »

Stimulating the vagus nerve

1. Meditation
2. Have Positive Social Relationships
3. Breath Deeply and Slowly
4. Probiotics
5. Exercise
6. Cold
7. Massages
8. Fasting
9. Sleep or Lay on Your Right Side
10. Yoga
11. Tai Chi
12. Singing or Chanting
13. Gargling
14. Tongue Depressors
15. Acupuncture
16. Oxytocin
17. Zinc
18. Serotonin
19. Chew Gum: CCK
20. Laughter
21. Coffee Enemas
22. Coughing or Tensing the Stomach Muscles
23. Fish Oil – EPA and DHA
24. Make Sure Your Thyroid Hormones/T3 Are Normal
25. Prayer

Thanks, Colm! Are these in order of importance?

Demo,

...Hopefully we don't have to do them all 3 times per day to fix our Vagus nerve :)) ...

Regards,
Colm

I heard it's only 2X per day, Colm :)

« Last Edit: February 07, 2016, 01:20:40 AM by demografx »

username

« Reply #106 on: February 13, 2016, 07:15:27 AM »
So if I understand this correct, the theory is that the orgasm slows down the heartrate and because of that the body don`t get enough oxygen and because of that  you feel tired. I know that that my heartrate doesn?t slow down. So in this study how much did the heart slow down and for how many Days?

Hi akilles,

My understanding from Dr. K.'s public statement is that in the small group of POIS participants studied to date, the symptoms of POIS are accompanied by a decreased heart rate and a decreased heart rate variability (HRV). Keep in mind, he's comparing the heart rates and HRVs of men with and without POIS...and so far, it seems he's found a difference.

You may or may not not notice the decreased heart rate while you're experiencing POIS symptoms, but I don't think one can measure his/her HRV. It's a value that's measured via a specialized monitor.

Perhaps more importantly, the vagus nerve is directly involved in the release of certain neurotransmitters, so the heart rate and HRV may be measurable signs that indicate abnormal neurotransmitter release during POIS. (That's only my interpretation.)

There's much more to this that Dr. Komisaruk won't be addressing at this point in the study (like specific heart rate).

Stef

Hey stef n all how are you, i wish to ask when we are expecting full report of study ???? ........2nd as i mentioned earlier my benefit from fish oil ...... I find fish oil being antiinflammatory  it also thins the blood majorly benefits heart ......to which direction of study is going ......as major group of cognitive poisers ....... I feels that the key is between brain n heart .....n may be we are getting poor cerebral blood flow ......... In short may be we may get benefit from medicines for poor cerebral blood flow Vinpocetine ....which is also is antiinflammatory + increase cognition  by increaing cerebral blood flow.......whats u think about this.

http://www.myithlete.com/do-fish-oil-supplements-improve-heart-rate-variability/

http://m.ajcn.nutrition.org/content/70/3/331.abstract?ijkey=0798da59fb22e7be57237d390ede958e724110c7&keytype2=tf_ipsecsha%3FlinkType%3DABST&journalCode=ajcn&resid=70%2F3%2F331

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/9524780?dopt=Abstract?access_num=9524780

http://www.bmj.com/content/312/7032/677.full?ijkey=0990a6e2e16d56f30b5c135e90df7e2ebf1b5049&keytype2=tf_ipsecsha%3FlinkType%3DFULL&journalCode=bmj&resid=312/7032/677
« Last Edit: February 13, 2016, 01:13:54 PM by username »

demografx

• Administrator
« Reply #107 on: February 13, 2016, 02:49:33 PM »
username:
Quote from: Stef on January 04, 2016, 12:03:29 AM
Quote from: Hoping on January 02, 2016, 12:14:46 PM
"So excited to hear about the Rutgers study! I realize it's all very preliminary, but it's definitely exciting to see some movement. Thanks to the research team, Stef, POIS participants, and NORD for all your work so far! What are next steps in terms of the study? Are there more interim reports coming out? What sort of timeline are we looking at?"

Hi, Hoping (and Everyone),

The Rutgers study is a one-year study. There was a several-month delay in starting it due to the IRB Committee having questions, needing clarifications, etc., so NORD's MAC granted Dr. K. a one-year extension. This is why iit all moved at a snail's pace at the beginning.

(IRB delays are expected, because patient safety is paramount and every step has to be entirely understood and approved. Also, iit's lkely that none of the committee members had ever heard of POIS, so there may have been more questions than usual.)

Based on the paragraph provided by Dr. Komisaruk, it sounds like the study is moving full-steam ahead at this point. It has another six months, and should be completed around April or May 2016. The final report is due within 60 days of completion. So, the next (final) report should be received by NORD in June or July at the latest.

Dr. Komisaruk will undoubtedly write a paper with all the details, and it will be published in a reputable mefical journal. You'll all be able to read it, word for word, once it's published. With luck his paper will be accepted and published quickly.

I hope that was helpful!

Best wishes,
Stef

Pflug

« Reply #108 on: February 13, 2016, 07:31:43 PM »
Thanks Demo.
Complete loss of focus, extreme fatigue, sweating, nasal irritation, joint pain, headaches and depression. Takes a full week to feel normal again. Hiding from life. Praying for a cure.

Samir

• POIS victim since 1988
    • Huntsville Car Scene.com
« Reply #109 on: March 08, 2016, 07:35:16 PM »
OMG, so much progress since I last visited!

One of my symptoms in POIS that I could never explain was that my voice changed.  With my HRV out of whack when in POIS, does my voice change make sense to be related to an off-whack HRV?

demografx

• Administrator
« Reply #110 on: March 09, 2016, 12:35:13 PM »
Professor Komisaruk's 3rd report is due on the 18th of this month. NORD has followed up and asked him to pay particular attention to the public section and inquired of additional recruits since Nightingale and Andy.

They hope to have the report soon!

« Last Edit: March 11, 2016, 06:43:37 PM by demografx »

less_fogged

« Reply #111 on: March 09, 2016, 02:15:28 PM »
Professor Komisaruk's 3rd report is due on the 18th of this month. NORD has followed up and asked him to pay particular attention to the public section and inquired of additional recruits since Nightingale and Andy.

They hope to have the report soon!

Thanks Demo for letting us know.
Happy and looking forward to it

« Last Edit: March 11, 2016, 06:43:12 PM by demografx »

demografx

• Administrator
« Reply #112 on: March 09, 2016, 04:43:36 PM »
You're welcome, less_fogged! :)

« Last Edit: March 09, 2016, 05:26:04 PM by demografx »

Prancer

« Reply #113 on: March 11, 2016, 09:48:21 PM »
Thanks demografx, excellent news. Look forward to any new updates when available.

demografx

• Administrator
« Reply #114 on: March 12, 2016, 06:57:50 PM »
Thanks, Prancer!

demografx

• Administrator
« Reply #115 on: March 12, 2016, 07:20:52 PM »
Hi All,

Demo and Daveman just received the public portion of Dr. Komisaruk's interim report from NORD. Here it is --

"A preliminary interpretation of our current data is that POIS symptoms are accompanied by a lowered heart rate and heart rate variability (HRV), and that vagal stimulation may produce a beneficial effect on POIS symptoms (increased heart rate and HRV) as a 're-bound' from the vagal stimulation. These are very preliminary findings and continued research with additional participants is underway, to assess the reliability of these findings."

Stef

Do you have a link to a PDF, a website, or any original document? I'd like to post about this to Wikipedia. But I need something to link to.

La_pet1te_mort, I just wrote to NORD to clarify, will let you know as soon as I hear back.

Thank you for working on Wikipedia!

« Last Edit: March 12, 2016, 07:24:49 PM by demografx »

demografx

• Administrator
« Reply #116 on: March 12, 2016, 07:26:46 PM »
OMG, so much progress since I last visited!

Thanks for the nice feedback! :)

demografx

• Administrator
« Reply #117 on: March 14, 2016, 05:34:45 PM »
Do you have a link to a PDF, a website, or any original document? I'd like to post about this to Wikipedia. But I need something to link to.

NORD just sent me Report #1 in Word. Waiting for #2.

Link to #1 screenshot below:
http://poiscenter.com/forums/index.php?topic=2086.msg18439#msg18439

« Last Edit: March 14, 2016, 05:45:26 PM by demografx »

demografx

• Administrator
« Reply #118 on: March 14, 2016, 05:40:14 PM »

« Last Edit: March 14, 2016, 05:44:02 PM by demografx »

demografx

• Administrator
« Reply #119 on: March 14, 2016, 05:42:02 PM »
La_pet1te_mort: your Wikipedia link (the next post below) for report #2:

http://poiscenter.com/forums/index.php?topic=2086.msg18441#msg18441

« Last Edit: March 14, 2016, 06:28:31 PM by demografx »