Do you smoke ?

Yes
2 (8%)
No
20 (80%)
I used to and notice no improvement of symtoms when I quit
3 (12%)

Total Members Voted: 20

Author Topic: Smoking  (Read 3904 times)

LAPOISSE

Smoking
« on: November 13, 2012, 04:20:50 PM »
It seems to release histamine although I found a paper saying the opposite ;

Chris

Re: Smoking
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2013, 01:32:10 PM »
I am in the third choice..Even though i 'm still 18..Biggest mistake in my life!

Vincent M

• Physical overshadows cognitive symptoms. 10yrs.
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2013, 09:25:22 AM »
Chris, what symptoms did smoking make worse and was this effect immediate or gradual? I've read some evidence that suggests smoking may decrease the likelihood of developing Alzheimers or Pakinsons. That and the fact that people I know claim it reduces stress make me think it may not be entirely detrimental to pois if done in moderation.

"cigarette smokers are 50% less likely to have PD[Parkinson's disease] or AD[Alzheimer's disease] than are age- and gender-matched nonsmokers." http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10942038
"Ulcerative colitis is a condition of nonsmokers in which nicotine is of therapeutic benefit."
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11069313
Taking ginger tea, no wheat, fenugreek+green tea/garlic, saw palmetto, niacin, boswellia, huperzine, B complex and nutmeg. See my treatment summary post for more info: http://poiscenter.com/forums/index.php?topic=81.msg3513#msg3513

LAPOISSE

« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2013, 12:43:34 PM »
Actually, I quit 3 month ago and my POIS is maybe worse(but could be 1736382 other reasons) ; anyways i didn't feel better ; I asked that because I was in the abnormal blood pressure in brain vessels theory and my doc told me smoking was relly vasoconstricor.

Actually Vicent M, I read the same paper than you. Smoking as a reward linked behavior probably increase dopamine level and decrease risk od having PD.

After 3 month off cigarettes, I smoked I cig last saturday and immediatly felt really good(I was also good the day after despite an O  ; I suspect dopamine of being involved

Chris

« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2013, 01:03:07 PM »
Vincent M,my symptoms and my POIS state wasnt worse..In fact i was better when i was a smoker,at least for my symptoms i mean..After quiting smoking and realised that i have this disorder i was really awful at that time..I stopped any social communication and also stopped hanging out with my old friends..When i used to smoke,i was every day out,going to parties and all that kind of stuff..And then after quiting it my POIS became really worse..Strange,but when i try to remember myself how i was one or two years ago i think of myself as a very moody person and now i've quitted everything..I mean what i did wasnt good for my health i know like drinking,smoking and but i think i was more energetic lets say and my pois symptoms wasnt so bad than they are now..
« Last Edit: October 03, 2013, 05:01:21 AM by Chris18 »