Author Topic: Hormonal Testing and Dopamine  (Read 30315 times)

Jon

Hormonal Testing and Dopamine
« on: April 25, 2011, 02:19:55 PM »
Hey guys.  I figured this would be a good subject to add for anybody who is seeing a doctor and is wondering which hormones are relevant when it come to POIS and which ones to test.  I, myself, will be seeing a neuroendocrinologist sometime soon and I am wondering which hormones I should ask them to test.  I'm thinking theres a wide variety that could be relevant from prolactin to cortisol to the steroid hormones.  I have also done a lot of research over my years with POIS and find that an excessive dopamine to norepinephrine conversion could be possible.  I think dopamine could play a key role in the cognitive symptoms of POIS especially since POIS is consistent with dopamine deficiency symptoms like depression, getting up in the morning, colorless world/inability to feel pleasure, swallowing problems, lack of facial expressions, etc. I'm wondering if theres a way to test dopamine and if somebody in this forum has already come up with these ideas? I will be getting tested for any hormones that could be related I will defaintely post the results for you guys.

I want you guys to check out this web site. I find it very interesting.

http://sites.google.com/site/poiswebsite/test-page/orgasm-induced-catecholamine-imbalance-via-pituitary-dysfunction

Best wishes,

Jon.
My cognitive symptoms started suddenly during an orgasm when I was 16. I then developed my POIS and cognitive/physical symptoms became very severe. Had to leave work and school. This year I had 60% success with regimen. Recently the symptoms have gotten worse again. Let's help each other.

Daveman

• Administrator
Re: Hormonal Testing and Dopamine
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2011, 03:50:56 PM »
Yes Jon, a very interesting WEB page. Put together by a pair of our very own collaborators here, and on NSF, Matt780 and Pyropeach.

There's tons of stuff on NSF about all of this, I also hope to collect this type of information in yet another database, where we can interact with it at will.

If we can share this information here, it will help in getting it to a database.

The whole sexual hormonal chain is a big complex one. And it's a closed loop. Any disfunctional closed loop system is very hard to correct, because one can detect failed interaction all over the loop. Trying to fix the problem where you see such imbalance often does nothing to remedy the problem, until you find the one real failure point, then all the other imbalance automatically fals into place.

The tests are obviously helpful, especially as base starting point information, we have tended to do tests without really checking and recording the base information properly, nor knowing what to expect or how to interpret a later test once changes have been made.

But making the tests, knowing what to look for and recording the information and other related data is obviously a good first step.
WITHOUT RESEARCH THERE WILL BE NO CURE!
Sessions 5 to 9 days, mostly Flu-like, joints, digestion problems, light cognitive.
Niacin has changed my lif though, now 1 day MAX.
Somewhere in this interaction with Niacin is the answer!

Jon

« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2011, 01:42:54 AM »
I agree, that would be a good first step.

Has anybody tried adderall ?
My cognitive symptoms started suddenly during an orgasm when I was 16. I then developed my POIS and cognitive/physical symptoms became very severe. Had to leave work and school. This year I had 60% success with regimen. Recently the symptoms have gotten worse again. Let's help each other.

Ccconfucius

« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2011, 02:30:12 PM »
I agree, that would be a good first step.

Has anybody tried adderall ?

I did for three days no results all the heart pumping craziness and euphoric feeling without any cognition improvement.
But demografx had good results, check brain fog.

Daveman

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2011, 03:58:01 PM »
Actually I think that there's a lot of information on NSF about adderall.

Try "aderrall POIS site:http//www.thenakedscientists.com" in Google
Sessions 5 to 9 days, mostly Flu-like, joints, digestion problems, light cognitive.

sameer7777

• pls send what ever working pls thankyou
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2011, 06:59:52 PM »
i want to do harmonal testing can it be done with blood test ???
and what do u think i will test 1st ???
thanks
pls don't expose me.
AFTER SEX/MASTERBATION (FLU LIKE SYMPTOMS)
1)BACK NECK PAIN GOES TO DOWN SPINE
2)NERVES LIKE SQUEEZED OUT
3)MORNING FEET NERVES PAIN
4)NASAL INFLAMMATION
5)BRAIN FOG
6)DEPRESSION
7)HIGH SUGAR LEVELS (TRIED INSULIN FOR 1 YEAR MAKE ME MORE SICK

emi_b

• Lab1
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2011, 06:24:51 AM »

I also have some psychological effects, among others, and it is not something you ever thought it is possible to have.

i want to do harmonal testing can it be done with blood test

Yes hormonal tests can be done with blood tests.
Maybe you should try to find a doctor who is open-minded and it is open to newly discovered diseases.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2011, 03:04:14 PM by emi_b »
I have cognitive, psychological and physical symptoms.
I am apologizing for my English if it is unclear.

Habibou

• Lab1
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2011, 06:48:29 AM »
I had a blood test dealing with Catecholamines :
Noradrenaline                      8.53 nmol/l                N : < 4.00  nmol/l
Dopamine                              0.71 µmol/24h        N : < 3.00 µmol/24h   

My GP said it was unbalanced and gave me "dopastim" to help it but it didn't change anything yet...
« Last Edit: May 18, 2011, 03:21:06 AM by Habibou »
Brain fog 90%  + tired all the time ,sport intolerance, fast heartbeat, colon inflammation

Daveman

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2011, 09:02:43 AM »
I had a blood test dealing with Catecholamines :
Noradrenaline                     8.53 nmol/l      N : < 4.00  nmol/l
Dopamine                             71 µmol/24h   N : < 3.00 µmol/24h   

My GP said it was unbalanced and gave me "dopastim" to help it but it didn't change anything yet...

Again it seems that the doctors go directly for the jugular instead of asking "why" the levels are off and treat those causes instead.

Hopefully the treatment will help, but I don't think it's just a matter of puting the dopamine at it's level.

It's like trying to fix a leaky bucket by filling it continuously with water, instead of patching the leak! I just don't understand.

Maybe we can ask someone like lauracostis or someone with a better medical background how your test results fit in with a POIS condition.

Habibou

• Lab1
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2011, 09:25:59 AM »
yes, it would be great  to ask someone the link with POIS.
And yes, he noticed my immune system was "working hard for nothing" and he said it could explain this low dopamine... now the question is about the research of POIS.
Brain fog 90%  + tired all the time ,sport intolerance, fast heartbeat, colon inflammation

Daveman

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2011, 10:14:33 AM »
I sent a PM to lauracostis, maybe he might be able to answer.

Daveman

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2011, 12:15:51 PM »
L/C answered.

Said that how it's written, it indicates the  oposite, high levels, and wondered why the doctor would be givin a med to help boost dopamine.

He asks if perhaps the signs got reversed in the "translation".

Also asked why you had the tests done?

I said I thought you had gone for POIS. But I didn't know for sure. Did you tell the doc about POIS and show him any documents, or did you go as if you were any other guy?

UnderstandingPois

« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2011, 12:56:41 AM »
  i tried ritalin for dopamin deficency, at first i felt so wonderfull and normal, the world came to life, music sounded awsome and everything. i would want to conversate, and motivation was great. i felt less of a distach from the world, but after 5 days of taking it, it never worked the same, and it made me feel worse then ever!.     

and i notice that the medicine doesent work for me on day one of pois, it only works when i get to a far day without orgasm.

but that wonderfull alive feeling i had from ritalin, not everything was fixed, i was still missing stuff, i think it is more than one nuerotransmitter that is the problem.

i will try to describe how i feel when i get to a far day without pois, to try match this up.

i feel a exitement , a want to do everything, i will think ofdoing something and get a really good thrill about just the thought, or listen to music and words make more sence they come to life, the music comes to life, you have a total different look on life, everything has meaning and is so wonderfull. your not in complete isolation, i wont spend my time away from people, youll want to be around people and conversate. going outside you can feel the wind it feels wonderfull, higher memories and thinking, likeyou get a awsome feeling about everything you think about, words and things have theyre own feelings. and memories that you never thought of for a long time come , those memories are strong. they have a feeling to them. emotions come very strong, i can cry like a baby orget mad pumped up just you are so atached to the worldeverything has a feeling and meaning , i can fall asleep easy cause i feelawsome cuddling in the blankets,it feels good, you feel so good that it is easy to fall asleep. the tv or music can put you to sleep. your hobbies come back , you get imense pleasuredoing hobbies instead of looking at them as a hard thing to do.

in a moment, say im playing a game with the window open, you feel the wind ,on your body it feels good, you get a bit of a memorie from that, and a unique feeling, you feel so relaxed and comfortable in your seat its like awww yea, your mind thinks of wonderfull things and everyhting has a meaning and a specialfeeling to it, you feel imense pleasure in everything , socializing thoughts words, doing things you know your completely alive. its a totally different state of mind, and the funny thing is people , nomal people feel this way everyday, without worrying . they just wake up and have all that and imagine how wonderfull life would be if we figured this pois thing out.  this is nuerological, no doubt.

if you guys notice , the more time you go without orgasm n arousil, you feel more n more alive, and if youv gotten very very far say 19 days without orgasm arousil like i did, youll notice how freakin alive you are, and once you have a orgasm , in a split second its all gone, you feel so dull nothing has meaning. life is dull.

Habibou

• Lab1
« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2011, 03:24:32 AM »
L/C answered.

Said that how it's written, it indicates the  opposite, high levels, and wondered why the doctor would be giving a med to help boost dopamine.

He asks if perhaps the signs got reversed in the "translation".

Also asked why you had the tests done?

I said I thought you had gone for POIS. But I didn't know for sure. Did you tell the doc about POIS and show him any documents, or did you go as if you were any other guy?

Yes, my results failed : i wanted to write ->         Dopamine                              0.71 µmol/24h        N : < 3.00 µmol/24h

He told me that 0.71 is quite low and can explain a "low focus feeling". I said i had some strange symptoms, but it was before Prof Waldinger's paper, so i just said i wanted to check the dopamine, no more ! 

UnderstandingPois

« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2011, 09:21:59 AM »
  low focus feeling, you know what, dopamine explains so much about pois, i can relate it to everything of my symptoms, i had that low focus feeling worse than ever once i stopped taking ritalin. that low focus feeling is what i felt before pois started to get worse.

nyan

« Reply #15 on: May 18, 2011, 09:28:36 AM »
Understandingpois : You very nicely describe the feeling of loosing a certain sense during POIS. We have eye sight, taste, touch, etc etc but also there's this feeling of "reality" that gives every moment a special feel to the brain. POIS makes all of this vanish. If you have been for a long time in POIS you tend to forget that something like this exist and when you abstain for a long time suddenly this "sense" comes back and so the "sense memories" with it and you remember many things just by browsing the ones stored in your brain.  

JRD

« Reply #16 on: May 22, 2011, 12:16:52 PM »
Ditto.

B_Daniel

« Reply #17 on: May 29, 2011, 01:33:41 AM »
I asked Demografx privately what he got tested in his hormone testing.  Here's what he said:

MY ENDOCRINOLOGIST'S LABWORK ORDERED FOR POIS

-PROLACTIN

-TESTOSTERONE(Bioavailable Testosterone, Free Testosterone, Total Testosterone, [SHGB] Sex Hormone Globulin Binding)

-DHEA-SULFATE

-FSH (Follicle Stimulating Hormone)

-LH (Luteinizing Hormone)

-TSH (Thyroid-Stimulating Hormone)

-CORTISOL AM

I thought others might appreciate having this info.  Also, there is debate over whether to have the tests down Pre or Post "O", but most ppl agree that if possible, 2 tests should be performed, before and after.  

Daveman

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: May 29, 2011, 10:56:04 AM »
Hey B_Daniel, it was YOU that invented the wheel!!
Good work man!

Jon

« Reply #19 on: May 29, 2011, 02:41:45 PM »
B_Daniel, Thanks for the info!

Did you get any results that have helped you put your finger on a possible cause?