Author Topic: Hormonal Testing and Dopamine  (Read 30571 times)

lithium

Re: Hormonal Testing and Dopamine
« Reply #20 on: April 30, 2012, 05:12:38 AM »
Hey guys, I really feel the need to post you guys my thoughts and experiences relevant to this thread, something I personally feel is very significant.

I recently read this page http://sites.google.com/site/poiswebsite/test-page/orgasm-induced-catecholamine-imbalance-via-pituitary-dysfunction. As i understand, the theory talks about the severe neurological symptoms being related to a depletion of Dopamine, which may be caued by the presence of excess levels of catechcolamines.

When my severe POIS symptoms first appeared 20-odd years ago, i spent about 12 months in and out of hospitals. I was obviously very ill but nothing concrete showed up (as is consistant with most POIS sufferers). One thing that they did spend a long time investigating was ELEVATED LEVELS OF CATECHOLAMINES! I had 9X the normal levels of these hormones! As a result, they assumed i had a tumor on my adrenal gland and put me under a CAT scan for hours to find a tumor that never showed up (they were so sure i had the tumor they even booked my in for the operation).

So i though it was very important to note that my medical history fits so well with this theory that it is simply uncanny. So i just wanted to let you guys know.

(note: i am the user 'matsoda' from NSF)
(p.s. my POIS symptoms are all but gone now, after a 20 struggle that i'm sure eeveryone here could appreciate)

Cheers

Hoping

« Reply #21 on: April 30, 2012, 10:12:29 AM »

(note: i am the user 'matsoda' from NSF)
(p.s. my POIS symptoms are all but gone now, after a 20 struggle that i'm sure eeveryone here could appreciate)[/i]

Cheers

Matsoda, what did you do for treatment of your POIS? Maybe I missed it.
Experienced POIS since 2002.
My symptoms include: brain fog, depression, physical and mental fatigue, memory problems, social anxiety, concentration problems, myalgia, inflammation.

Nightingale

« Reply #22 on: April 30, 2012, 12:18:26 PM »
Im really glad you brought this up lithium/mastosa!!  I have some more to add: as I suffer from depression, I've been on antidepressants for a while, one of which was Cymbalta, a Serotonin and Norepinephrine reuptake inhibitor.  I was on Cymbalta for years, and the whole time I had bizzare symptoms that made my life harder, like scary lucid dreams and "jerks" where I would flinch for no reason.  A doctor told me this could be caused by Cymbalta, and after I stopped it they went away.

I wonder if Cymbalta exacerbated an already bad ratio of dopamine to norepinephrine?  I have a variety of other neurological issues that no one can seem to explain, I think this article has some answers for me...
Turmeric and Rosemary 30-45 minutes before orgasm for anti-inflammatory and immune support has helped me a lot. Faster and easier than niacin approach.

kurtosis

• Scientist, Engineer, INTJ type
« Reply #23 on: August 30, 2012, 03:55:32 AM »
Im really glad you brought this up lithium/mastosa!!  I have some more to add: as I suffer from depression, I've been on antidepressants for a while, one of which was Cymbalta, a Serotonin and Norepinephrine reuptake inhibitor.  I was on Cymbalta for years, and the whole time I had bizzare symptoms that made my life harder, like scary lucid dreams and "jerks" where I would flinch for no reason.  A doctor told me this could be caused by Cymbalta, and after I stopped it they went away.

I wonder if Cymbalta exacerbated an already bad ratio of dopamine to norepinephrine?  I have a variety of other neurological issues that no one can seem to explain, I think this article has some answers for me...
Only saw this now. Yes looks possible. BTW for anyone reading this. Catecholamines including Dopamine & Norepinephrine. So low dopamine versus high norepinephrine implies a catecholamine imbalance rather than simply elevated levels of all catecholamines. I bet all POIS sufferers have low dopamine levels, particularly for a few days after an O and low the rest of the time.

demografx

• Administrator
  • All of us working together to defeat POIS!
« Reply #24 on: August 30, 2012, 07:36:36 AM »
TO ALL OUR NEWCOMERS AND FRIENDS:
Let's Cure POIS. Now.

Make "POIS Cured!"
the Feature Presentation - not Arnold!

Skip the movie and click here to please donate instead.

Or click here to read more about The POIS Medical Fund
10 years of significant POIS-reduction, treatment consisting of daily (365 days/year) testosterone patches.

TRT must be checked out carefully with your doctor due to fertility, cardiac and other risks.

40+ years of severe 4-days-POIS, married, raised a family, started/ran a business

nomore2013

« Reply #25 on: September 20, 2012, 11:27:34 AM »
cortisal morning.12.8 (range 3.7-9.5)
cortisal noon.....2.9 (range 1.2-3.0)
cortisal evening.1.2 (range 0.6-1.9)
cortisal night.....0.5 (range 0.4-1.0)

i was under an incredible amount of stress back then, and this caused adrenal fatigue. the adrenals would produce alot of cortisal, hence high levels in the morning, and by the end of the day, the exhausted adrenals couldnt produce anymore.

estradiol...........1.1 (range 0.5-2.2)
progesterone....21 (range 12-100)
testosterone....142 (range 44-148)
dhea...............26.6 (range 2-23)
cortisal morning.8.4 (range 3.7-9.5)
cortisal night.....1.8 (range 0.4-1.0)

symptoms are consistent with low androgens, which maybe be caused by high estradiol, high cortisol, low thyriod.
high dhea maybe be caused by stress or insulin resistence.
high cortisol can impair actions of other hormones like insulin and thyriod.

nomore2013

« Reply #26 on: September 20, 2012, 11:33:07 AM »
i took this saliva test about 2-3 days after O, after abstaining for about a month.
i also was waking up early, 1-2 hours, for about a week trying to the morning sample done.

do these kind of things affect the results, or are hormone levels not affected much by day to day activity, but general long term activity?

kurtosis

• Scientist, Engineer, INTJ type
« Reply #27 on: September 20, 2012, 02:24:43 PM »
Really interesting results.

fidalgo

« Reply #28 on: October 14, 2012, 07:22:02 PM »
My catecolamin exams. It seens that all came normal...

Normal
Noradrenaline                   52,0   ug/24h                                                 less than 97
Adrenaline                        5,0    ug/24h                                                  less than 27
Dopamine                        436,0  ug 24h                                                 less than 500

lithium

« Reply #29 on: August 01, 2013, 02:30:39 AM »
Matsoda, what did you do for treatment of your POIS? Maybe I missed it.

I'm so sorry mate, I missed your post and haven't been back here for ages. I had success antioxidants and superfoods, my POIS symptoms declined progressively (over 24 months). I'm not symptom free but i'm able to manage well.

The most effective treatments for me:

1/ Olive Leaf Extract (juice); (I would add the 50ml of extract to a bottle of water and drink the bottle throughout the day)
2/ Fresh Coconut (the flesh & water) consumed along with a handful of Macadamia nuts once or twice a day (please.. someone else needs to give this a try and confirm);
2/ Wheatgrass Powder (a couple of scoops every morning in my juice);
3/ Protandim (a single course over a few weeks helped noticeably);
3/ Grape Seed Extract (200mg capsules daily), or Resveratrol (200mg capsules daily);
4/ Acai Berry Powder (5-10g every morning in my juice);
5/ Spirulina or Chorella (a couple of scoops every morning in my juice);
6/ Garlic Oil (the insanely strong stuff you get from the naturopath - occationally);

The usual..
7/ Fenugeek (capsules);
8/ Niacin (capsules);

- Once i started feeling well enough, regular exercise helped build extra 'resistance' to symptoms.

- I, personally, find that urinating straight after 'O is highly beneficial.

- Wheatgrass & Spirula/Chorella seems to be noticeably effective post 'O, to lessen the symptoms and hasten the recovery.

- Although the Coconut & Macadamia sounds crazy, i had to risk my credibility and mention it here because I beleive it has played a significant part in my recovery, and I have no idea why. It may just help me, maybe with a specific deficency or mineral imbalance.. zinc, copper, phytic acid, electrolytes.. no idea. If someone out there loves coconuts & macadamias, can you give this a try please? it's cheap, and there's nothing too loose.  If it's going to work for you too it will work fast. Eat them before or after '0 your symptoms across the board should improve.

My symptoms improved progressively, and have been under control for over two years now. I don't intend to add any extra 'snakeoil', but my POIS symptoms are largely under control and that is exactly what i have done. Hope my experience can help in some way.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2013, 06:05:50 AM by lithium »

demografx

• Administrator
  • All of us working together to defeat POIS!
« Reply #30 on: August 01, 2013, 03:56:47 PM »

Hope my experience can help in some way.

Of course it does. Always!
10 years of significant POIS-reduction, treatment consisting of daily (365 days/year) testosterone patches.

TRT must be checked out carefully with your doctor due to fertility, cardiac and other risks.

40+ years of severe 4-days-POIS, married, raised a family, started/ran a business

caveeater

« Reply #31 on: January 10, 2014, 08:38:58 AM »
I also believe my POIS is caused by lack of dopamine. I went for a long time without any O last year and felt a lot more focused because of it. I was able to get a lot more done and have energy on a daily basis. That said I also felt quite stressed.

I wonder if other neurotransmitters such as serotonin compete with dopamine. I've heard that dopamine and serotonin are like a seesaw, if one is high, the other is low. Although I'm sure it's not quite that simplistic.

b_jim

« Reply #32 on: January 10, 2014, 12:21:13 PM »
I also believe my POIS is caused by lack of dopamine.

Yes, I think the same thing. When I read some documents about dystonia related to dopamine I found some interresting similarities.
Taurine = Anti-Pois
Lyme disease "cured" in 2020.

Chris

« Reply #33 on: January 11, 2014, 03:49:41 AM »
I also believe my POIS is caused by lack of dopamine. I went for a long time without any O last year and felt a lot more focused because of it. I was able to get a lot more done and have energy on a daily basis. That said I also felt quite stressed.

I wonder if other neurotransmitters such as serotonin compete with dopamine. I've heard that dopamine and serotonin are like a seesaw, if one is high, the other is low. Although I'm sure it's not quite that simplistic.

Dopamine might have a key role as it is one of our strongest neurotransmitters but its not the only chemical substance released in orgasm.There are a lot more.Additionaly, there millions of people with lack of this neurotransmitter but they dont present POIS.Have you ever thought of the receptors of dopamine having problem and not the quantity instead ?
Anyway, try some Dopamine supplement for a while if you want to see how it goes.

Chris

« Reply #34 on: January 11, 2014, 03:53:26 AM »
I also believe my POIS is caused by lack of dopamine.

Yes, I think the same thing. When I read some documents about dystonia related to dopamine I found some interresting similarities.

Bjiim, you said you wanted to try L-Dopa.Did you try it ? How did it go ?

caveeater

« Reply #35 on: April 22, 2014, 01:24:32 PM »

Dopamine might have a key role as it is one of our strongest neurotransmitters but its not the only chemical substance released in orgasm.There are a lot more.Additionaly, there millions of people with lack of this neurotransmitter but they dont present POIS.Have you ever thought of the receptors of dopamine having problem and not the quantity instead ?
Anyway, try some Dopamine supplement for a while if you want to see how it goes.

Yes, I now believe it may be to do with the receptors rather than the dopamine quantity. Dopamine receptors are known to down-regulate or up-regulate, and there are certain activities like fasting for example that can supposedly increase the amount of receptors in the brain.

My brain comes more "alive" when doing long walks in a somewhat fasted state. Making sure I eat enough protein helps too (but not too much).