Author Topic: advice for significant others?  (Read 10046 times)

Hoping

advice for significant others?
« on: August 26, 2012, 11:00:23 PM »
Hi everyone,
It seems like this thread isn't as active as some of the others, but I figured I'd post to see what sort of response I get. My girlfriend of 1.5 years has been really supportive and understanding about POIS (I'm very lucky!). She's really impressed with the forum and the great sense of community we have here. Still, she's asked a couple of times about finding some support for HER when I sink into my symptoms. Although I'm generally kind a loving, I can get somewhat moody and distant while in POIS. I guess I have a couple questions...

1) What sorts of coping mechanisms do people use with significant others while you're feeling symptomatic? How do you deal with it as a couple?

2) Would anyone's significant other be interested in conversing with my girlfriend? Maybe just via email? I'm envisioning a very casual, friendly exchange. I'm sure there are other significant others who could use a little extra support in speaking with someone who understands the stressors that result from being in a relationship with a POIS sufferer.

Thanks!
« Last Edit: August 26, 2012, 11:03:07 PM by Hoping »
Experienced POIS since 2002.
My symptoms include: brain fog, depression, physical and mental fatigue, memory problems, social anxiety, concentration problems, myalgia, inflammation.

Stef

Re: advice for significant others?
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2012, 08:59:58 PM »
Hi everyone,
It seems like this thread isn't as active as some of the others, but I figured I'd post to see what sort of response I get. My girlfriend of 1.5 years has been really supportive and understanding about POIS (I'm very lucky!). She's really impressed with the forum and the great sense of community we have here. Still, she's asked a couple of times about finding some support for HER when I sink into my symptoms. Although I'm generally kind a loving, I can get somewhat moody and distant while in POIS. I guess I have a couple questions...

1) What sorts of coping mechanisms do people use with significant others while you're feeling symptomatic? How do you deal with it as a couple?

2) Would anyone's significant other be interested in conversing with my girlfriend? Maybe just via email? I'm envisioning a very casual, friendly exchange. I'm sure there are other significant others who could use a little extra support in speaking with someone who understands the stressors that result from being in a relationship with a POIS sufferer.

What a great idea, Hoping!!!

I'm not in the situation so probably can be of no help.  My husband doesn't have POIS, is very stable, and not moody (nothing like his wife!!!!!)

I do think there's a slight correlation in behavior when women get PMS (premenstrual syndrome).  They just want to hide out, be left alone, be irritable,do nothing for several days except eat chocolate, not go to work, and lie around.  In that way -- there are certain similarities.

I hope the girl friends or wives of some of the POISers rise to the occasion.

Stef

« Last Edit: August 27, 2012, 09:51:03 PM by demografx »

Daveman

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2012, 09:46:33 AM »
Hi everyone,

I'm not in the situation so probably can be of no help.  My husband doesn't have POIS, is very stable, and not moody (nothing like his wife!!!!!)

I do think there's a slight correlation in behavior when women get PMS (premenstrual syndrome).  They just want to hide out, be left alone, be irritable,do nothing for several days except eat chocolate, not go to work, and lie around.  In that way -- there are certain similarities.

Stef

I've always wanted to make at least one thread for them!! NO reason the y can't be here too.

Of course for privacy they may want to share by EMail.

PM is available for that too.

Unfortunately my wife only speaks Spanish though.

WITHOUT RESEARCH THERE WILL BE NO CURE!
Sessions 5 to 9 days, mostly Flu-like, joints, digestion problems, light cognitive.
Niacin has changed my lif though, now 1 day MAX.
Somewhere in this interaction with Niacin is the answer!

Hoping

« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2012, 09:53:31 AM »

Stef

Thanks Stef. I've never experienced PMS, but it seems like there are definitely some similarities. In fact, that's how I usually explain POIS to people ("it's like really really really bad PMS").

I've always wanted to make at least one thread for them!! NO reason the y can't be here too.

Of course for privacy they may want to share by EMail.

PM is available for that too.

Unfortunately my wife only speaks Spanish though.
Yeah, I thought I remember seeing a "partners" thread when this forum was under development. I'm not sure how often people would use it, but it's a nice thought. I was envisioning an email conversation. My girlfriend took some Spanish classes last year, but I don't think she's good enough to converse (especially about something like POIS  ;D). We'll see if anyone else responds...
Experienced POIS since 2002.
My symptoms include: brain fog, depression, physical and mental fatigue, memory problems, social anxiety, concentration problems, myalgia, inflammation.

vonstermommy

« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2013, 10:58:03 PM »
I can absolutely email/talk/chat/text with your girlfriend. Ive been married 13 years to an awesome guy suffering from POIS. 
Im the wife of a man suffering from POIS. 300 Niacin. Feel free to give your wife my email address!

Samir

• POIS victim since 1988
    • Huntsville Car Scene.com
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2013, 12:45:16 AM »
My wife doesn't believe that POIS is real. :(  She's highly intelligent and a really empathetic person.  But she think this is all in my head and I have some sort of 'control' on my POIS.

vonstermommy

« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2013, 02:38:49 AM »
My wife doesn't believe that POIS is real. :(  She's highly intelligent and a really empathetic person.  But she think this is all in my head and I have some sort of 'control' on my POIS.

Have you seen these television specials about POIS?  Our family did not realize the extent until they saw the videos.  I havent checked the links lately but I have them handy if ever I need to explain (doctors, in-laws, POIS members)

The Learning Channel's (TLC) feature TV presentation on POIS

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6sdaR18vw1s

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UWBxAUC9k1g

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Post-Orgasmic-Illness-Syndrome-POIS/175719769110249?ref=ts

http://www.foxnews.com/health/2011/01/17/flu-like-symptoms-semen-allergy/
Im the wife of a man suffering from POIS. 300 Niacin. Feel free to give your wife my email address!

Samir

• POIS victim since 1988
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2013, 11:59:17 PM »
She actually believes me now after an experiment of abstaining for a month.  But now she doesn't want to have sex with me anymore. :(

vonstermommy

« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2013, 11:18:35 AM »
So sorry to here.  Its really difficult to enjoy being intimate when you know your partner will be sick afterwards.  Try Niacin!!

She actually believes me now after an experiment of abstaining for a month.  But now she doesn't want to have sex with me anymore. :(

Samir

• POIS victim since 1988
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2014, 08:59:12 AM »
So sorry to here.  Its really difficult to enjoy being intimate when you know your partner will be sick afterwards.  Try Niacin!!

I tried Niacin, but it upset my stomach (felt like it was swollen for a few days), so the only 100% cure is sushi, and that's too expensive ($100 a pop).

We haven't been intimate since October of 2013.  And we've had all sorts of other stresses thrown at us, so the lack of sex is only a minor one now. :(

vonstermommy

« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2014, 11:36:24 PM »
My husband is now using

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00663G4ZK/ref=oh_details_o06_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

three times a day and is doing well!

b_jim

« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2014, 02:07:34 AM »
Congratulation if it helps your husband.
Taurine is present in human semen.
GIve us more details ! :)

edit : 100g of fish like mackerel give about 1g of taurine (=1 cap of your supplement)
« Last Edit: July 08, 2014, 02:43:43 AM by b_jim »
Taurine = Anti-Pois
Lyme disease "cured" in 2020.