Author Topic: Anti-Inflammatories are a Super Effective Treatment  (Read 18709 times)

Egordon

Anti-Inflammatories are a Super Effective Treatment
« on: August 18, 2012, 12:29:08 PM »
Hi Guys,

I've been putting off writing this post for a few months but have broken down because it simply isn't fair to deprive people of this treatment.

My Story: When I first began seeing doctors for my POIS, a neurologist diagnosed me with post-coital headaches and prescribed indomethacin (an NSAID) for treatment. As this diagnosis was just plain wrong, I was deeply skeptical of the prescription. As a result,  I took it (maybe) twice before searching out new avenues of treatment.  But when the forum began to reemphasize the allergic hypothesis, my mind wandered back to NSAIDs, which are excellent treatments for improper immune response and inflammation. Upon re-taking indomethacin I discovered that NSAIDs were probably the SINGLE MOST EFFECTIVE treatment for POIS that we've discovered thus far. I also discovered, however, that it gave me severe asthma problems and somewhat less severe stomach pains. So I made the switch to Celebrex -- which i've actually found to be far more pleasant and somewhat more effective -- and have been able to control my POIS fairly absolutely ever since.

My Results: With the help of NSAIDs, Day 1 is now Day 4. And Day 2 is now "post-Day 4." Meaning that on Day 1 I feel very few cognitive symptoms, and that I feel like a completely normal person after one day of treatment.

My treatment: I take Niacin prior to orgasm to reduce the level of my reaction. Then about an hr post-orgasm I take my first 200mg of Celebrex. (The medication is known for being softer on the stomach than most NSAIDs but it's still important to take it with food, otherwise you could develop an ulcer. I've found that if I take it with grains, it makes me super-drowsy -- maybe because they make it sit in the stomach longer. If I take it with meats, however, I get no drowsiness.) About 8 or 9 hours later -- usually right before bed -- I take my second 200mg pill.

This has given me complete control over when I have my symptoms. If I know that I need to be at 100% for something, I can still O within a day of the event and be completely fine.

Things I've learned:

-Niacin DOES NOT reduce our symptoms by 90%. This notion has been circulated endlessly on the forum but it's simply not true. While Niacin has made our lives immensely more livable, it's very far from a long-term cure/treatment for the disease.  This is something that I was already aware of -- even after using Niacin i'm significantly more articulate, capable and "with it" on Day 4 than Day 1 -- but NSAIDs have made that awareness more acute. I don't say this to disparage Niacin -- it's worked wonders for me and continues to be a part of my treatment. But the clarity that i'm getting from NSAIDs demonstrates pretty well that, while Niacin takes our functionality from about 15% to 70%, we're still very far from the people we could be!

-The disease does seem to have an allergic component. But there's also something else. Celebrex eliminates 95% of my symptoms for the 3 or 4 days after taking it (presuming I don't have an orgasm). But i've learned that when i'm subjected to considerable stress or forced to undertake an especially exhausting activity, my cognitive symptoms experience a modest resurgence. (To be clear, this decline in cognitive function is more/different than what ordinary people experience when they're "worn out".) The fact that I'm capable of developing some symptoms in the absence of orgasm indicates to me that our disorder has a hormonal or vascular component, independent of the allergy. (Maybe its an underlying problem that the allergy makes all the more severe.) Hopefully when we have funding for research we'll be able to explore this more fully.     

Cautions: NSAIDs are awful for you. They're bad for your liver and worse for your heart. For this reason, I try to keep my Celebrex use to once or twice a week. (And Celebrex is supposed to be one of the good ones.) If you begin seriously investigating this treatment, make sure to consult a doctor and be fully informed of all the side effects.

Hope this helps someone out there!
POIS since I was about 15. 1.75 years of desens and I'm now about 80% POIS free. Still working through best practices for maintaining my immunity and administering my injections with my doctor. Email me if you have tips or questions!

Observer

• Global Moderator
Re: Anti-Inflammatories are a Super Effective Treatment
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2012, 01:47:55 PM »
Hi Guys,

This has given me complete control over when I have my symptoms. If I know that I need to be at 100% for something, I can still O within a day of the event and be completely fine.

Things I've learned:

-Niacin DOES NOT reduce our symptoms by 90%. This notion has been circulated endlessly on the forum but it's simply not true. While Niacin has made our lives immensely more livable, it's very far from a long-term cure/treatment for the disease.  This is something that I was already aware of -- even after using Niacin i'm significantly more articulate, capable and "with it" on Day 4 than Day 1 -- but NSAIDs have made that awareness more acute. I don't say this to disparage Niacin -- it's worked wonders for me and continues to be a part of my treatment. But the clarity that i'm getting from NSAIDs demonstrates pretty well that, while Niacin takes our functionality from about 15% to 70%, we're still very far from the people we could be!

Hi Egordon, very good post. We are approaching the truth. I want to comment some points:

Well, I know Niacin reduces not 90%, but 100% of my symptoms. Why I am so sure about this?

After the first times I was taking the niacin, I noticed that the niacin was not 100%  effective. I could have in that cases 10-15% of POIS, a minor pressure feeling in the area of the brain that is just behind my eyes, and light cognitive impairment, i was able to feel that something was not totally OK, and these symptoms were over after several days (2-3). Then I discovered that this was happening because I did not close the bottle, and the air made the niacin to be less effective. I can notice the difference very well and very soon. When i am not fully protected I got sick in seconds, just immediately after the O. The fact is that I can't ignore POIS when I am suffering from it.

-The disease does seem to have an allergic component. But there's also something else. Celebrex eliminates 95% of my symptoms for the 3 or 4 days after taking it (presuming I don't have an orgasm). But I've learned that when i'm subjected to considerable stress or forced to undertake an especially exhausting activity, my cognitive symptoms experience a modest resurgence. (To be clear, this decline in cognitive function is more/different than what ordinary people experience when they're "worn out".) The fact that I'm capable of developing some symptoms in the absence of orgasm indicates to me that our disorder has a hormonal or vascular component, independent of the allergy. (Maybe its an underlying problem that the allergy makes all the more severe.) Hopefully when we have funding for research we'll be able to explore this more fully.    

You hit the nail on the head. I' vie also realized this. I experience this "resurgence of symptoms" in very specific times:

- When I get angry (Fortunately, it is very difficult for me to get angry. In fact, this is another reason to not get angry  :D)
- I got the same symptoms after making a presentation in the university, one time. I think I was somewhat nervous. Also, this does not happen to me, but this time I had to focus intensely.

These minor symptoms have surprised me over the last year a few times, because I was not with POIS before these events. They did not last too long (few hours) and they were mild compared to a POIS episode, but they were there.

Daveman

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2012, 02:47:08 PM »
From time to time, I still take Ibuprofen for some of the first hours, which remove any last dredges of POIS,
but I still maintain that niacin gives me 90% relief.

I do realize though, that niacin isn't for everyone and in others it can have less effect or even none.

Somewhere in the whole picture there's an answer there. Why for some and not for others??

WITHOUT RESEARCH THERE WILL BE NO CURE!
Sessions 5 to 9 days, mostly Flu-like, joints, digestion problems, light cognitive.
Niacin has changed my lif though, now 1 day MAX.
Somewhere in this interaction with Niacin is the answer!

Hoping

« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2012, 01:47:34 PM »
So far I've had SOME limited, short-term success with Niacin. Sadly, it's been very far from a cure-all. I'm still experimenting with Niacin, so I hesitate to report any "official" results just yet. Just reporting my experience thus far.

I very much agree with Egordon here. I've been using Aleve for over six months to help alleviate symptoms. It does not appear to prevent my symptoms, but it does provide a good amount of relief for about 4-6hrs per day. As you might expect, it helps a good deal with inflammation and body aches. This results in an overall increased sense of well being. My mind is clearer. I feel less socially anxious. I'm less irritable. Somewhat less depressed. Etc. It doesn't solve my POIS, but it makes things a bit more bearable.

I haven't tried Celebrex, but I may look into it. I try to be cautious with my use of Aleve. As Egordon an others have pointed out, NSAIDs can have some bad side effects if you use them long term. I try to limit my use to 2-3 Aleves per week max.
Experienced POIS since 2002.
My symptoms include: brain fog, depression, physical and mental fatigue, memory problems, social anxiety, concentration problems, myalgia, inflammation.

Egordon

« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2012, 01:48:18 PM »
You guys are correct, I have no right to presume my experience has been universal. And I apologize for doing so!

But in my personal experience, when I first began taking Niacin I thought that it had completely counteracted the effects of the disease. It wasn't until I began using NSAIDS and going long periods without O-ing that I realized that this wasn't exactly the case. That's all I meant.

It is hard, though, to put a % on the symptom reduction. My work involves constant presentations and a strong ability to speak/argue, and i've found that I'm far more adept at each of these things after Day 4 -- even when using Niacin. For this reason, I have a somewhat less favorable view of its results. It's still very effective but I'd say that the symptom reduction for me probably isn't higher than 80%, all things considered.
POIS since I was about 15. 1.75 years of desens and I'm now about 80% POIS free. Still working through best practices for maintaining my immunity and administering my injections with my doctor. Email me if you have tips or questions!

Egordon

« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2012, 07:26:07 PM »
Hey guys,

I wanted to post one caveat to my earlier suggestion of trying Celebrex for treatment. Over the last month or so my POIS has been especially bad. (It's intensification was due to proceeding too quickly in my desens -- but the reason isn't especially important.) As a result, I've been taking Celebrex very often -- like, 4 days a week often. This has kept my POIS symtpoms under control but i've recently noticed that when I drink I feel foggy and kind of "out of it" for 3-5 days afterwards. (I really only drink about once a week, but when i drink I usually binge drink. Meaning, 5-6 drinks in a night.) It's a terrible feeling and a completely new problem for me. In any case, I've begun to suspect that it's related in some way to my elevated celebrex use -- it's metabolized by the liver, and i think maybe it's hampering my liver's ability to metabolize alcohol effectively. I'm going to try severely scaling my use back and seeing if this eliminates the problem ( -- which is unquestionably a good thing, as I never wanted to be using it more than twice a week). But this awful side effect is maybe something you should keep in mind if you're considering trying the drug.

best,

egordon

kurtosis

• Scientist, Engineer, INTJ type
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2012, 04:12:11 AM »
Hey guys,

I wanted to post one caveat to my earlier suggestion of trying Celebrex for treatment. Over the last month or so my POIS has been especially bad. (It's intensification was due to proceeding too quickly in my desens -- but the reason isn't especially important.) As a result, I've been taking Celebrex very often -- like, 4 days a week often. This has kept my POIS symtpoms under control but i've recently noticed that when I drink I feel foggy and kind of "out of it" for 3-5 days afterwards. (I really only drink about once a week, but when i drink I usually binge drink. Meaning, 5-6 drinks in a night.) It's a terrible feeling and a completely new problem for me. In any case, I've begun to suspect that it's related in some way to my elevated celebrex use -- it's metabolized by the liver, and i think maybe it's hampering my liver's ability to metabolize alcohol effectively. I'm going to try severely scaling my use back and seeing if this eliminates the problem ( -- which is unquestionably a good thing, as I never wanted to be using it more than twice a week). But this awful side effect is maybe something you should keep in mind if you're considering trying the drug.

best,

egordon

If celebrex is increasing the amount of acetaldehyde in your system (by encouraging first stage metabolic reactions which produce the stuff) then taking extra niacin every day would raise levels of NAD (Nicotinamide adenine dinucleotide), increase the efficiency of the Acetaldehyde Dehydrogenase (the thing that metabolises acetaldehyde into vinegar) and help you not get drunk so quickly or for so long.
It may work. Check with your doctor that there are no interactions between niacin and celebrex.

sameer7777

• pls send what ever working pls thankyou
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2012, 07:03:33 PM »
NAPROXIN SODIUM works for me .........
pls don't expose me.
AFTER SEX/MASTERBATION (FLU LIKE SYMPTOMS)
1)BACK NECK PAIN GOES TO DOWN SPINE
2)NERVES LIKE SQUEEZED OUT
3)MORNING FEET NERVES PAIN
4)NASAL INFLAMMATION
5)BRAIN FOG
6)DEPRESSION
7)HIGH SUGAR LEVELS (TRIED INSULIN FOR 1 YEAR MAKE ME MORE SICK

demografx

• Administrator
  • All of us working together to defeat POIS!
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2012, 06:05:17 PM »
I use anti-inflammatories successfully but mine are illegal in some states :(
10 years of significant POIS-reduction, treatment consisting of daily (365 days/year) testosterone patches.

TRT must be checked out carefully with your doctor due to fertility, cardiac and other risks.

40+ years of severe 4-days-POIS, married, raised a family, started/ran a business

demografx

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2012, 06:06:13 PM »
10 years of significant POIS-reduction, treatment consisting of daily (365 days/year) testosterone patches.

TRT must be checked out carefully with your doctor due to fertility, cardiac and other risks.

40+ years of severe 4-days-POIS, married, raised a family, started/ran a business

demografx

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2012, 06:21:38 PM »
If $50 to $100 or more seems like too much money to give for now, how about committing $5, $10, $20 or more per MONTH?

Select as many months as you want! 2 months, 3 months, 4 months, 6 months, 12 months, whatever!  :)

Simply click above and scroll down till you see, "Make this a recurring donation"...

THANK YOU, EVERYONE - YOUR AUTOMATIC MONTHLY DONATIONS WILL HASTEN OUR "FINAL STRETCH!"

LAPOISSE

« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2013, 11:06:43 AM »
I would like to dig up the nsaid's topic ;

Anyone has a clue about why Nsaid's works ? What kind of inflamation could we have ?

About Niacin : It works with prostaglandins ; actualy it's stimulates them and create a kind of big inflammation shot..but it's temporary ; My understanding is after the flush, the prostaglandine are inhibited and so you get some kind of anti inflamatory effetc.

Below you can find the scientific version :

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0002914908002531

Pretty much everything that is considered here as a remedie has a link with inflammation ; I'm sure it worth investigating that lead ; My inch we should look at the stomach/intestins

LAPOISSE

« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2013, 11:07:59 AM »
Just a random just lead me to fenugreek :

http://www.webmd.com/vitamins-supplements/ingredientmono-733-FENUGREEK.aspx?activeIngredientId=733&activeIngredientName=FENUGREEK

"Fenugreek is used for digestive problems such as loss of appetite, upset stomach, constipation, and inflammation of the stomach (gastritis)"

poisioq

« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2013, 02:16:16 PM »
Nsaids have never worked for me

LAPOISSE

« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2013, 02:32:06 PM »
Hav? you tried something strong ? Ibuprofen or aspirin does not work for me

Daveman

• Administrator
« Reply #15 on: May 30, 2013, 02:49:28 PM »
Nsaids have never worked for me

They help me a little bit, but just temporary, and only for muscle joint aches.

WITHOUT RESEARCH THERE WILL BE NO CURE!
Sessions 5 to 9 days, mostly Flu-like, joints, digestion problems, light cognitive.
Niacin has changed my lif though, now 1 day MAX.
Somewhere in this interaction with Niacin is the answer!

poisioq

« Reply #16 on: June 04, 2013, 03:41:03 AM »
Hav? you tried something strong ? Ibuprofen or aspirin does not work for me

actually I haven't tried nothing stronger than ibuprofen, but I think it is very strong. every time I take it the day after I get stomachache

sameer7777

« Reply #17 on: June 04, 2013, 04:14:25 PM »
is naproxin sodium is NSAID ??????????

should i try using celebrax ???????

naproxin sodium works for me , sometimes good sometimes less
i think its the infalmation of prostate , cause during my pois my urination also increases !!!!!!!!

pls advice .......
pls don't expose me.
4)NASAL INFLAMMATION
5)BRAIN FOG
6)DEPRESSION

sameer7777

« Reply #18 on: June 06, 2013, 12:32:57 PM »
Started today the athritus drug ceberelex 100 mg two times daily lets hope incan see differnece before this i was taking naproxen sodium ......
Any guidance pls ???
pls don't expose me.
4)NASAL INFLAMMATION
5)BRAIN FOG
6)DEPRESSION

LAPOISSE

« Reply #19 on: June 06, 2013, 02:56:20 PM »
Yes ; don't take two much..it's not a long term treatment...I just take it when i'm symtomatic and I need to do something important