Author Topic: Free Flow Discussion about POIS  (Read 933493 times)

Daveman

• Administrator
Re: This may seem like a familiar place.
« Reply #740 on: February 14, 2013, 06:43:25 AM »
To save some time(and money) should' t we set up some statistic study to help researcher of NORD ?

We could organise informations like :

-who we are, any particular signs, any past/curent desease, family, genetic,
-which symptoms/duration/ severity
-what helps/make symptoms worse
-recurent anomalies in blood test
-anything else?

I know we answered to something comparable for some spanish research...Maybe we can have some result?

Anyways, I'm s?re it's a quite important base for a research especialy if we are numerous to answer(like 100 persons)
We could also show th? result to our docs, Maybe one of them can also find a mysterious point we have all in common that nobody noticed
 so far...
Anybody smart with computer to do a quick sharable questionary?

We've attempted a couple of surveys in the past, for this very reason, try to get information together for researchers beforehand, so they are not spending the research money to do it all themselves.

Our best effort got 33 responses. So it sounds like a good idea, but difficult to implement.

I don't know, perhaps with the research being certain, we could get a better response!

And actually we are still not "officially" over the minimum, but practically we are. We still have to finalize sponsorship commitments etc. but that's all really a matter of "paperwork".

WITHOUT RESEARCH THERE WILL BE NO CURE!
Sessions 5 to 9 days, mostly Flu-like, joints, digestion problems, light cognitive.
Niacin has changed my lif though, now 1 day MAX.
Somewhere in this interaction with Niacin is the answer!

Stef

« Reply #741 on: February 14, 2013, 05:08:32 PM »
THANK YOU DAVEMAN
THANK  YOU STEF

IT WOULDN'T HAVE HAPPENED WITHOUT YOU

Demografx -- I'd say that you played a rather HUGE roll in making this happen. :-)  You're a wonderful motivator!
« Last Edit: February 15, 2013, 11:52:21 PM by demografx »

demografx

• Administrator
  • All of us working together to defeat POIS!
« Reply #742 on: February 14, 2013, 06:34:21 PM »
Thanks for the Valentine's Day sentiment, Stef!

xo
10 years of significant POIS-reduction, treatment consisting of daily (365 days/year) testosterone patches.

TRT must be checked out carefully with your doctor due to fertility, cardiac and other risks.

40+ years of severe 4-days-POIS, married, raised a family, started/ran a business

Stef

« Reply #743 on: February 14, 2013, 06:40:50 PM »
I was reading over the NORD research fund program thread and now I see that the research study might use animal subjects instead of humans. I'm curious how likely this would be in our case. Also I'm wondering roughly when the research study would actually begin, now that we've basically reached the minimum fund requirement.

Interesting question for Stef, Vince

Hello Vincent Marcus and Everyone!

I'll answer your questions as concisely as possible.

NORD's research grant program does sponsor studies with animals ("pre-clinical") and with human studies ("clinical").  

Many disorders really do need to be studied in animals first.

For example, if there is a known genetic defect (which would have first been identified from human patients), scientists will create a genetically-engineered mouse (or monkey, or even a dog -- there are specific biological reasons as to what type of animal is best). Those animals become the basis for later clinical trials in humans. The animals are bred with the faulty gene, and then studies can be done on the animals to try to find the best way to correct that gene -- or to provide the missing protein or an enzyme to reverse the condition.  

(This just happened with a NORD grant, involving a horrendous neurological condition.  NORD's MAC awarded the same researcher from Northwestern University four grants -- four years in a row (very unusual!).  They knew he was on to something.  His study, which also involved his co-investigators, was recently published -- they were able to reverse that terrible disease in the mouse models that were bred using a specific medication! The lead researcher was Dr. Puneet Opal -- here's a press release about that study, described as "ground-breaking." http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2011/10/111016132040.htm.)

Clinical trials of that drug in humans with this condition will be starting within the year. It really is ground-breaking!

But with POIS -- nothing is known scientifically.  The offending agent(s) that cause such misery are a complete mystery. Possibilities include an auto-immune reaction, an allergy, a neurological condition, a urological condition, a genetic mutation, etc.  The possibilities are endless.

(Although I think gynecology can be ruled out). :-)

So the first step would likely be to try to identify what is causing the cascade of overwhelming POIS symptoms -- and how does it get into the circulatory system in the first place? Semen should only exist (biologically-speaking) within a man's genital tract -- it starts in the prostate and leaves through the tip of the penis.  This is supposed to be an air-tight system with no barrier leaks -- semen should go nowhere but out!

I suspect that your study will first involve men with POIS, along with control subjects (men without POIS).  You likely will not need to travel to the country where the research will be done if "only" tissue specimens are needed. All sorts of human tissues -- blood, semen, saliva -- even skin and hair -- can be specially shipped to the researcher's lab even when the lab is in another country across the sea.  And-- the cost of all that is usually picked up by the researcher's lab.

VM -- I'm only guessing here, but I'm inclined to think that this research grant will involve human samples (at the least) and possibly direct, one-on-one human contact with the researcher. If any human tissue is involved it is referred to as a "clinical" study, just FYI.

If I am wrong -- that this study will focus on an animal model of some sort (again, I would be surprised, but I'm not a scientist and not a member of our MAC) -- this is what I want to impart to all of you.  Trust the process!  

I can't stress this enough.  NORD's MAC will be your absolute best advocates.  Demo and daveman will compile a list of the most major symptoms and the remedies that have been helpful, from the data on this forum site. Our MAC will appreciate this input fully because there is really nothing in the scientific literature to adequately describe the numerous symptoms of post-orgasmic illness syndrome -- which -- based on some of your posts -- don't only occur post-orgasmically.

The study will be posted in mid-March 2013, then a very laborious and formalized process takes place over a nine-month period.  Our MAC will gradually weed out those applicants whose proposals don't have enough scientific merit or potential.  The award recipient will be determined by our MAC in mid-late November, 2013.  It's a long process -- but there is NO OTHER WAY TO DO IT.  

In the meantime -- here's some unsolicited advice which just occurred to me...

There have been a few times when there have been tied scores between the two best researchers for a particular study.  Our MAC will discuss these at length -- and often won't/can't budge on their individual scores, despite these open discussions. I've been in on every single teleconference for the past eight years -- and I know that they do this 100% seriously, with utmost dedication and ethically (and for free!).

So, my suggestion --> if you men can afford to kick in a bit of extra money for your grant -- do it!  I have a sense that there will be numerous, excellent applicants for your one grant -- which will increase the chances of tied scores -- ending up with you having two researchers and two entirely separate grants!  So far, every time this has happened (3-4 times), the researchers have ALWAYS been thrilled to receive the funding -- even if it's reduced to half  of the the original amount.  They end up making up the difference from other resources within their institutions.  Our MAC checks everything, including what other resources may be available to the researcher and his team.

But if you men can't afford to kick in some extra money, it's OK!!!  It all works out, so I don't want any of you to worry about donating extra money! It simply just occurred to me -- the tied-score possibility and -- best of all -- two, separate grants!!!!! I HOPE THAT HAPPENS!!!

So -- that's my concise answer. :-)

Stef

« Last Edit: February 16, 2013, 10:58:17 PM by nordnurse »

demografx

• Administrator
« Reply #744 on: February 14, 2013, 10:23:08 PM »
Dear Stef,

Thank you for your Perpetual Illumination!

Appreciative-demo
10 years of significant POIS-reduction, treatment consisting of daily (365 days/year) testosterone patches.

TRT must be checked out carefully with your doctor due to fertility, cardiac and other risks.

40+ years of severe 4-days-POIS, married, raised a family, started/ran a business

Vincent M

• Physical overshadows cognitive symptoms. 10yrs.
« Reply #745 on: February 15, 2013, 08:11:07 PM »
Thanks for your reply to my questions, Stef, and for giving us a heads up about the possibility of a tie between award recipients.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2013, 09:20:44 PM by Vincent M »
Taking ginger tea, no wheat, fenugreek+green tea/garlic, saw palmetto, niacin, boswellia, huperzine, B complex and nutmeg. See my treatment summary post for more info: http://poiscenter.com/forums/index.php?topic=81.msg3513#msg3513

demografx

• Administrator
« Reply #746 on: February 16, 2013, 12:02:10 AM »

[To study POIS]... I think gynecology can be ruled out. :-)

;D ;D ;D

demografx

• Administrator
« Reply #747 on: February 16, 2013, 11:43:48 AM »
LAPOISSE, thank you for responsibly pointing out our need to save time and money!

I've been forum-involved since 2007 and I think we have some good 6 years of data for NORD's selected researchers -- from hundreds of sufferers, searchable - and organized to some degree, such as B_Jim's fascinating compilation of 400+ POIS cases. This should help get more mileage for our $$. So your suggestions and spirit are on the right track. Thanks.

Our resources - which we'll share with NORD's selected researchers - are found at our Welcome Page:
http://poiscenter.com/forums/index.php?topic=1.msg1#msg1

« Last Edit: February 16, 2013, 11:54:01 AM by demografx »

demografx

• Administrator
« Reply #748 on: February 17, 2013, 12:10:44 AM »

Thank you, Guthrie!! $500 in donation$ today!!

demografx

• Administrator
« Reply #749 on: February 17, 2013, 12:12:51 AM »

Thank you, Anonymous Donor!! $300 in donation$ today!!

Vincent M

• Physical overshadows cognitive symptoms. 10yrs.
« Reply #750 on: February 18, 2013, 01:01:56 PM »
I wonder what sort of study we would want. I was thinking perhaps a brain scan of some sort of a group of POIS sufferers while they're in their worst stage of POIS similar to the PET/CT scan that found physical evidence for chemo brain. If we could prove beyond a reasonable doubt that our bodies undergo some physiological change during POIS it would be a great step forward into being more recognized by the medical community.

I'll have to read over the waldinger papers again since I don't remember how many subjects tested positive for semen allergy. If a decent number did then I suppose a repeat with a control group would be good.
Taking ginger tea, no wheat, fenugreek+green tea/garlic, saw palmetto, niacin, boswellia, huperzine, B complex and nutmeg. See my treatment summary post for more info: http://poiscenter.com/forums/index.php?topic=81.msg3513#msg3513

demografx

• Administrator
« Reply #751 on: February 18, 2013, 10:54:45 PM »

http://rarediseases.org/

POIScenter's Research Fund thermometer (above left):
Awaiting end of February for final tally of Promo
Final values must be confirmed. It won't hurt to go over as Stef writes below:

So, my suggestion --> if you men can afford to kick in a bit of extra money for your grant -- do it!  I have a sense that there will be numerous, excellent applicants for your one grant -- which will increase the chances of tied scores -- ending up with you having two researchers and two entirely separate grants!  So far, every time this has happened (3-4 times), the researchers have ALWAYS been thrilled to receive the funding -- even if it's reduced to half  of the the original amount.  They end up making up the difference from other resources within their institutions.  Our MAC checks everything, including what other resources may be available to the researcher and his team.

But if you men can't afford to kick in some extra money, it's OK!!!  It all works out, so I
don't want any of you to worry about donating extra money! It simply just occurred to me -- the tied-score possibility and -- best of all -- two, separate grants!!!!! I HOPE THAT HAPPENS!!!

Stef

« Last Edit: February 19, 2013, 12:30:41 PM by demografx »

Suppertime

« Reply #752 on: February 18, 2013, 11:23:38 PM »
Thank you everyone who donated!

If this means any remedy for our disorder, then I can finally live a normal and healthy lifestyle! Even if it takes half a decade to develop anything, I am still glad. Thank you!

demografx

• Administrator
« Reply #753 on: February 18, 2013, 11:25:21 PM »
We also thank you, Suppertime for your forum contributions :)

demografx

• Administrator
« Reply #754 on: February 18, 2013, 11:49:20 PM »
« Last Edit: February 19, 2013, 12:29:37 PM by demografx »

demografx

• Administrator
« Reply #755 on: February 19, 2013, 09:51:09 PM »
Thank you everyone who donated!

If this means any remedy for our disorder, then I can finally live a normal and healthy lifestyle! Even if it takes half a decade to develop anything, I am still glad. Thank you!

I empathize greatly. I waited 30 long years for relief, starting with FORUM access (2007). A miracle of sorts.

Daveman

• Administrator
« Reply #756 on: February 20, 2013, 08:06:37 AM »
Everybody.

I am really sorry about having to have curtailed theoretical discussions and trial relating to POIS cause/remedy, but it really WAS effecting donations.
This was amply demonstrated in how quickly donations increased and continued until we made it to our minimum (AND BEYOND!).

So first I can't express my gratitude and happiness for the acheivement we have made.It is VERY RARE for a forum where nobody has even seen each other face to face, to be able to unite together and put tegether more than $33,000.

Second, given that the big pressure is off, I would like to invite (if you are so willing) moe continued conversation as to theories and ideas. At this point we will be having many researchers checking us out, and we don't want to leave any stone unturned.

I have my pet theories, as does everyone else. But I know I can't say that mine is THE theory, and the investigation and backing that we may put into it does not guarantee anything either, without a thourough and highly controlled program with pre-defined goals.

We cannot hope to implement the level of professionalism that is needed, none of us. But that said. We are a showcase, where ideas and concepts can be displayed for those who have the experience and knowledge to actually do something with it.

We will only ask that we don't use the forum as innocent guinea pigs. We are desparate, and will try anything. Until something goes terribly wrong.

So any tests must go with very strong and specific warnings and should all be accompanied by medical supervision of some type.

Remember, we are being watched by professionals. Let's try to give them something useful, something they would probably do (test) themselves.

Thanks for your cooperation and a job very well done.

BTW. I have checked with those who have made comittments, and I am assured that once details are managed, WE WILL BE OVER $33,500 US DOLLARS.

Congratulations to Amijgoro for being the sponsor who took us over the TOP. And than every donor on the forum, without your $5 or $12.50 we couldn't have done it either.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2013, 08:54:57 AM by Daveman »
WITHOUT RESEARCH THERE WILL BE NO CURE!
Sessions 5 to 9 days, mostly Flu-like, joints, digestion problems, light cognitive.
Niacin has changed my lif though, now 1 day MAX.
Somewhere in this interaction with Niacin is the answer!

demografx

• Administrator
« Reply #757 on: February 20, 2013, 08:20:30 AM »
Major Congratulations to everyone again!

Vandemolen

« Reply #758 on: February 20, 2013, 08:30:13 AM »
I want to thank everybody who made this happen!

But this is still the beginning. We reached the minimum amount for the fund. Research is very expensive. So the guys who pledged money, but didn't give the money yet: please do.
POIS since 2000. Very bad since 2008. I knew that I have POIS since June 2010. Desensitization since March 2011. I stopped with desens in July 2016. I have 50% less POIS. And only 1 day of POIS. Purified CBD works for me, but I am allergic for CBD.

demografx

• Administrator
« Reply #759 on: February 20, 2013, 11:45:19 PM »

I have checked with those who have made comittments, and I am assured that once details are managed, WE WILL BE OVER $33,500 US DOLLARS.

Congratulations to Amijgoro for being the sponsor who took us over the TOP. And than every donor on the forum, without your $5 or $12.50 we couldn't have done it either.