Author Topic: Success with Micronutrients  (Read 660 times)

POISed2cure

Success with Micronutrients
« on: September 09, 2022, 10:35:10 AM »
There's a great TED talk on the scientific studies on the effects of micronutrients on mental health patients (ADHD, Bipolar, etc) as an alternative to taking pharmaceutical medication. Studies seem to indicate taking micronutrients are a MUCH better long-term option although science is always evolving.

Basically the micronutrients are taken as a tablet which contains every nutrient the body needs but at high daily doses: magnesium, zinc, potassium, vitamin c, d, e, iron, iodine, etc... 12 tablets a day, divided into 3 doses, were taken in the trials which were very successful.
The idea is to figure out if your body is getting every nutrient it needs to function normally and if your body is deficient in ANY nutrient, this approach will expose it and should help you.

Hardys Essential Daily Nutrients I think is what was used in the study.

Many of us have tried supplements but probably not at doses that had any noticeable effect. I know I have. Some members have had luck though for example with Niacin.

This approach tests whether your food/diet is giving you everything your body needs or, if you aren't absorbing nutrients properly due to issues with your gut microbiome.

Hardys is expensive though at about $150 for 30 days supply. But I guess if many members here add up how much they spend on each individual supplement, that probably costs not much more. And one would expect results within 4 weeks, if not much sooner.

Alternatively a whole food diet for a month (vegetables, salad, fruit) would probably also expose and resolve issues, not only for POIS...

Thoughts?
« Last Edit: September 09, 2022, 10:50:43 AM by POISed2cure »

berlin1984

• Administrator
  • Use Adaptogens and Antioxidants, they can help.
Re: Success with Micronutrients
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2022, 11:55:40 AM »
I was tempted to merge it with this thread here: https://poiscenter.com/forums/index.php?topic=468.0 :-)

What's the difference between multivitamin and what you are writing about?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Micronutrient
(Yes I know minerals are not vitamins, but with "multivitamin" I think usually also contains minerals etc?)
(There is also useful-but-not-vitamin things like Choline)

Alternatively a whole food diet for a month (vegetables, salad, fruit) would probably also expose and resolve issues, not only for POIS...

My gut feeling (pun intended) would say vegetables/salad make it worse (FODMAP, Antinutrients & co).
I'm more tempted with the organs/carnivore (+ fruit) trial described in other threads :-)

But nutrition is always a hard debate, there is maybe no one size fits all.