Author Topic: The Case of POIS as a Cytokine Storm  (Read 1361 times)

Quantum

• Administrator
The Case of POIS as a Cytokine Storm
« on: September 08, 2022, 05:57:03 PM »

I recently came across an interesting Wikipedia article, the one about cytokine storms, at https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cytokine_storm .   I have already talked here about my hypothesis that the release of pro-inflammatory cytokines may be part of the cause of POIS.  I have based my pre-pack method around this idea, too. 

This article is interesting to read with POIS in mind.  In particular, the short "Research" section, at https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cytokine_storm#Research , cites nicotinamide, a form of vitamin B3 just like niacin, as an interesting lead to follow.  We know that niacin helps many members to control their POIS symptoms.

Also, this section mentions magnesium has decreasing inflammatory cytokine production by modulation of the immune system. Magnesium has been my first weapon against POIS, and the only one for years.  It is still part of my pre-pack.

Of course, POIS could only be seen as a low-grade, mild-to-moderate, cytokine storm, surely not to be compared with those who are life-threatening, like those that had been seen in COVID-19 patients.  However, even if a low-grade type, we may learn useful things from what is learned for more server types of cytokine storms.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2022, 06:02:04 PM by Quantum »
You are 100% responsible for what you do with anything I post on this forum and of any consequence it could have for you.  Forum rule: ""Do not use POISCenter as a substitute for, or to give, medical advice" Read the remaining part at http://poiscenter.com/forums/index.php?topic=1.msg10259#msg10259

berlin1984

• Administrator
  • Use Adaptogens and Antioxidants, they can help.
Re: The Case of POIS as a Cytokine Storm
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2022, 02:28:41 AM »
cites nicotinamide, a form of vitamin B3 just like niacin, as an interesting lead to follow.  We know that niacin helps many members to control their POIS symptoms.

FYI I started NMN (Nicotinamide mononucleotide) supplementation two months ago.
So far I think it improves general wellbeing/energy.

Hopeoneday

« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2022, 05:30:39 PM »
Quantum, isnt this related mostly to yours mast cells theory??
Dr-pois.

Quantum

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2022, 08:44:44 PM »
Quantum, isnt this related mostly to yours mast cells theory??
Mast cells are one of the sources of pro-inflammatory cytokines, but far from the only one. For example, I have often written about the kynurenine pathway, in the tryptophan metabolism pathways, as a potential source of detrimental cytokines in the brain.

You are 100% responsible for what you do with anything I post on this forum and of any consequence it could have for you.  Forum rule: ""Do not use POISCenter as a substitute for, or to give, medical advice" Read the remaining part at http://poiscenter.com/forums/index.php?topic=1.msg10259#msg10259

Progecitor

• Aphrodisiacs are effective
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2022, 12:17:39 PM »
I know we are mostly trying to find complicated answers to POIS as we can’t imagine something this rare to be so simple. Nevertheless the more I read about senescence the more I believe that to be the root of our problems. A kind of cytokine storm is practically an aspect of senescence associated secretory phenotype (SASP) and its characteristic cytokines are IL-6, IL-8, IL-1alpha, TNF-alpha, IFN-gamma that are already suspected to be involved in POIS. Other markers like TGF-beta potentially play some role given some member’s success with taurine (TGF-beta inhibitor). Researchers also mention that in senescence glucose consumption increases, while lactate level grows, which is also in agreement to my personal experiences. POIS is probably only particular in the tissue involved, that must be something related to sexual activity, hence it being the initiator in the cascade of events.
Anti-inflammatory agents may help attenuating SASP short-term, but do not necessarily clear senescent cells. Some commercially available senolytics mentioned in the review below are piperlongumine, nicotinamide riboside, fisetin. Several members had some success with nicotinamide riboside (NAD+ precursor), while fisetin increased POIS for a member, which is rather perplexing. Nevertheless they still worth trying as possible ways to cure POIS or at least to ameliorate its strength long-term.

A lot of good info can be found about senescence in the following review:
https://journals.physiology.org/doi/full/10.1152/physrev.00020.2018
The cause is probably the senescence of sexual organs and resultant inducible SASP, which also acts as a kind of non-diabetic metabolic syndrome.

Muon

• MCAD Thread
« Last Edit: September 11, 2022, 09:24:30 AM by Muon »

FernandoPOIS

• 40 year old. POIS Since I was 28. Dopamine heals.
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2022, 07:35:23 AM »
Controlling my POIS is based on the amount of inflammation. I do everything I can to keep my body inflammation-free. Even so, I feel some symptoms such as slight fatigue, which I believe is related to age (I'm already 40 years old) and also to low testosterone.

I believe my POIS started after depressive events that caused my testosterone levels to drop and unfortunately never came back.
The way we see the world and our culture is a factor that knocks down testosterone. Lack of hope and overthinking are factors for the drop in testosterone.

There is no single focus. We should pay attention to testosterone, dopamine, serotonin and inflammation.
In addition to avoiding things that inflame our body, we must take care of stress. Things that once affected men only after their 40s or 50s are now hitting us in our 20s.
So in the old days everything was seen as normality of aging and today we have these symptoms earlier.
Until the 90's every man had a direction in life, the culture was homogeneous and our place in society and in the world was defined so we were always excited and full of goals.
Nowadays we are lost and the excess of information takes away some of our hope, diminishing our spirit to live and our hopes for new perspectives.
My POIS only happens with masturbation. Normal sex does not generate POIS symptoms. My POIS is related to me mood and the health of my cervical spine. Dopamine/Inflammation/Body constitution (genetics) are factors that contribute to POIS.