Author Topic: My most unusual POIS symptom  (Read 17436 times)

demografx

• Administrator
  • All of us working together to defeat POIS!
My most unusual POIS symptom
« on: April 10, 2011, 02:19:50 PM »
Maybe this doesn't belong in the Polling Section?

My oddest POIS symptom is "burning fingertips".

All 10 fingers, the tips feel "dried up", "hot", "numb", often with "dermatitis". Hard to describe even after 30+ years. I NEVER feel that anytime outside of POIS.

But this symptom also drives me CRAZY. And I don't understand why, in spite of attempt in psychotherapy to determine why I feel so tortured by it.

Perhaps because the burning is an indication, a barometer of what is going on with POIS in the rest of my body and mind and spirit. (Mostly dead at POIS peak). Somehow this may be related to the nervous system because of nerve endings at our fingertips?
« Last Edit: April 11, 2011, 01:49:36 PM by demografx »
10 years of significant POIS-reduction, treatment consisting of daily (365 days/year) testosterone patches.

TRT must be checked out carefully with your doctor due to fertility, cardiac and other risks.

40+ years of severe 4-days-POIS, married, raised a family, started/ran a business

Vincent M

• Physical overshadows cognitive symptoms. 10yrs.
Re: My most unusual POIS symptom
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2011, 04:11:23 PM »
My cuticles get slightly inflamed and sore while in POIS and all of my skin gets somewhat more dry, but my fingertips don't burn as you've described here. I know while in POIS I always avoid washing the dishes because my hands get so irritated by water and dish soap and it always feels like I can never get the dish soap off my hands, but out of POIS it doesn't bother me at all. What does burn though is my eyes and it is one of the worst feelings to have my eyes burn nearly all the time since it hinders literally every activity I do. Perhaps my eye burning and your fingertip burning are both results of the effect POIS has on the nervous system.
Taking ginger tea, no wheat, fenugreek+green tea/garlic, saw palmetto, niacin, boswellia, huperzine, B complex and nutmeg. See my treatment summary post for more info: http://poiscenter.com/forums/index.php?topic=81.msg3513#msg3513

hurray

• Lab1
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2011, 05:17:12 AM »
My hair becoming extremely dry and straw-like was physical symptom number 1 when I had POIS. Usually kicked in within a few hours of O. Now I take Fenugreek, my hair stays fine, and my cognitive symptoms are much reduced - strange!

spillway

« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2011, 07:17:11 AM »
Prostate getting really hot and sweating between legs.

demografx

• Administrator
  • All of us working together to defeat POIS!
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2011, 10:41:21 AM »

My hair becoming extremely dry and straw-like was physical symptom number 1 when I had POIS. Usually kicked in within a few hours of O. Now I take Fenugreek, my hair stays fine, and my cognitive symptoms are much reduced - strange!

Wonderful Fenugreek testimonial, hurray!
10 years of significant POIS-reduction, treatment consisting of daily (365 days/year) testosterone patches.

TRT must be checked out carefully with your doctor due to fertility, cardiac and other risks.

40+ years of severe 4-days-POIS, married, raised a family, started/ran a business

hurray

• Lab1
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2011, 05:41:30 AM »
Heh, I should start selling iFenugreek myself  ;)

It is very reassuring to have a sure-fire POIS symptom (extremely dry hair) that entirely disappeared when I started taking Fenugreek. And that reappears if I don't take it. I used to use my hair as a barometer for how far I'd come out of POIS after O! (not always easy to objectively judge your cognitive state)

Daveman

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2011, 06:28:22 AM »
Yeah, especially when the brain isn't working like it should!!
WITHOUT RESEARCH THERE WILL BE NO CURE!
Sessions 5 to 9 days, mostly Flu-like, joints, digestion problems, light cognitive.
Niacin has changed my lif though, now 1 day MAX.
Somewhere in this interaction with Niacin is the answer!

Vincent M

« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2011, 11:00:50 AM »
I think fenugreek might help my scalp and hair dryness a bit too, but the main thing I notices it helps me with is my eye burning since that has always been my primary way of gauging POIS.
Taking ginger tea, no wheat, fenugreek+green tea/garlic, saw palmetto, niacin, boswellia, huperzine, B complex and nutmeg. See my treatment summary post for more info: http://poiscenter.com/forums/index.php?topic=81.msg3513#msg3513

emi_b

• Lab1
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2011, 03:44:44 PM »

All 10 fingers, the tips feel "dried up", "hot", "numb", often with "dermatitis". Hard to describe even after 30+ years. I NEVER feel that anytime outside of POIS.

I have something similar, but I don't think it is the only most unusual symptom I have, but it is very unusual, and it is almost unbearable.

For me not only finger tips are involved,  but also my lips, my gums, my face (especialy my forehead muscles) and I think any other extremity you have in you body can be attacked by this feeling. This sensations also makes the muscles to be very strained.
It is horrible, I feel a very strong urge to press, squeeze them a strong as I can to feel a relief, and after it became even more intense, and spread to neighbour regions. I also feel this in my muscles. I feel it is very similar to urticaria. I think it is like an urticaria bellow the skin, not on the skin.
Sometime touching something cold or going out when it is cold outside, calms the feeling. It is the only efficient method I found, to calm this sensation.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2011, 03:49:35 PM by emi_b »
I have cognitive, psychological and physical symptoms.
I am apologizing for my English if it is unclear.

Vincent M

« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2011, 10:39:57 AM »
I think emi described the way I feel kind of as well. Especially with the forehead muscles. With me most of the muscles in my face feel slackened almost as if they are atrophying however when out of POIS they tighten back up and fee completely fine. The most annoying sensation is when the skin above my right eye seems to droop somewhat into my eye socket, it drives me crazy and it's the only thing i can think about when it happens.

I'm realizing right now that my fingertips do feel pretty sore and raw and when i try to peel oranges it hurts so badly even if only a tiny bit of moisture from the orange touches a finger tip.

devastated

« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2011, 03:55:40 AM »
Hi guys from Athens, Greece and gl with the forum.

Apart from the traditional symptoms which I've described at NakedScientists (and will copy also here soon for reference), I experience during:

- Extremely dry, straw-like hair, exactly like "hurray" mentioned...to the extent they are hard to comb even when they're cut quite short. (I'll check out fenugreek - thanx for the tip!)
- Very dry skin, which leads to easier bleeding during shaving. Even drinking lots of water doesn't seem to improve the situation more than 30%.
- Arms and legs get much easier / faster numbed when staying at a position that usually numbs them.
- Tremendous temporary clumsiness (probably as a result of brainfog).
- Verbal expression diffuculty. It's like thinking of 10 things and being unable to focus / gather enough power to say more than 2 (and those often phrased incorrectly).
- All allergies (i.e running nose) intensify (probably as a result of general inflammation).
- When causing POIS during fever and illness..the symptoms of the illness take twice as much to subside. Same goes with injuries and blood clotting.

...and as usual, the more often I loose semen, the more intense those symptoms become. It's like your entire lifeforce is drained from you.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2011, 04:05:18 AM by devastated »

Vincent M

« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2011, 05:19:53 AM »
Hi guys from Athens, Greece and gl with the forum.

Apart from the traditional symptoms which I've described at NakedScientists (and will copy also here soon for reference), I experience during:

- Extremely dry, straw-like hair, exactly like "hurray" mentioned...to the extent they are hard to comb even when they're cut quite short. (I'll check out fenugreek - thanx for the tip!)
- Very dry skin, which leads to easier bleeding during shaving. Even drinking lots of water doesn't seem to improve the situation more than 30%.
- Arms and legs get much easier / faster numbed when staying at a position that usually numbs them.
- Tremendous temporary clumsiness (probably as a result of brainfog).
- Verbal expression diffuculty. It's like thinking of 10 things and being unable to focus / gather enough power to say more than 2 (and those often phrased incorrectly).
- All allergies (i.e running nose) intensify (probably as a result of general inflammation).
- When causing POIS during fever and illness..the symptoms of the illness take twice as much to subside. Same goes with injuries and blood clotting.

...and as usual, the more often I loose semen, the more intense those symptoms become. It's like your entire lifeforce is drained from you.

I have exactly everything you've listed here. Especially the bleeding while shaving. I haven't connected that to my skin being dry, but my skin is definitely very dry in POIS. Why would this happen? I have noticed that if I apply olive oil to my entire body after i shower then drink a lot of water i can stay hydrated longer and my tendons become much more flexible.

emi_b

• Lab1
« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2011, 06:41:21 AM »
I want to add more of my symptoms wich are very unusual or strange.

- if you get any other health issue while in POIS, such as a tothache, a flu etc. it is felt much unbearable, painfull, than it is outside of POIS.
  - I also get an increased imagination and creativity, while having brainfog, thinking of unexpected things, and being unable to think rationaly to them. (like as if you are dreaming while awake)
  - also after a month or more since POIS installed, I started to have very persistent visual illusions, i.e. seing human faces, animals, on things such as limp clothes. I've read on a book and on the Internet that this is called pareidolia.
  - The most unusual aspect of my POIS, is that it neverended from wen it started (3 years ago). Read my summary for more information.
  - I also feel very clumsy, from when it started.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2011, 06:56:51 AM by emi_b »
I have cognitive, psychological and physical symptoms.
I am apologizing for my English if it is unclear.

JRD

« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2011, 10:46:47 AM »
I've experienced a quite odd symptoms within years - they come and go, sometimes there seem to be only a few of them, sometimes I literally got a dozen of them.

- Extreme itching all over body without any rash (paresthesia) as well as numbness and migrant nerve pains
- Tiny red spots (broken blood vessels) under the skin, many of them (maybe even one hundred) on limbs, torso, everywhere
- Burning skin sensations and pains - mostly on scalp, buttocks and shoulder blades
- Dysarthria - psychomotor-like speech impairment, with lack of proper articulation, tempo, tone etc.
- Other psychomotor disturbances (handwriting problems, tremor, etc.)
- Autonomic disturbances (palpitations, cold sensitivity, sweating)
- White tongue and narrowed throat
- Quasi metallic taste in my mouth
- Frequent urination, digestive convulsions
- Headaches, dull pains in my head, strange sensations inside my brain (burning, creasy, etc.)
- Sound sensitivity, especially to paper tearing - this drives me crazy

And yes, my usual symptoms are always present and consist of obligate brain fog (almost all of the cognitive domains are impaired, mostly severe - this is an unimaginable for somebody, who's never experienced it yet - like an early stage of Alzheimer disease, when you are aware of the deficits), exhaustion/drowsiness (it differs from classical fatigue you get after excercising, this is more like psychogenic or inflammatory kind, lack of energy and drive to do anything) and many many psychological problems (induced by brain fog - low self-esteem, feeling of inferiority, hopelessness, frustration, irritability, anger, social phobia and clumsiness, unable to keep eye contact, lost in conversations, escapist behaviour, anxious, dysphoric, sometimes with suicidal ideations as a consequence of my mysery).

Ccconfucius

« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2011, 12:46:55 PM »
I get a burning sensation in my lower back about my wierdes and right after ejaculation i feel like i loose control of my neck.

Samir

• POIS victim since 1988
    • Huntsville Car Scene.com
« Reply #15 on: June 16, 2011, 09:57:14 AM »

But this symptom also drives me CRAZY. And I don't understand why, in spite of attempt in psychotherapy to determine why I feel so tortured by it.

Perhaps because the burning is an indication, a barometer of what is going on with POIS in the rest of my body and mind and spirit. (Mostly dead at POIS peak). Somehow this may be related to the nervous system because of nerve endings at our fingertips?
About a year ago, I started having these symptoms, but not related to POIS.  After extensive research and testing as well as professional lab work by a doctor, we determined it to be diabetic neuropathy.  Even though I can control my diabetes with diet and stress management, the neuropathy is EXACTLY like you describe.

Diabetic neuropathy happens when the nerve cells in these extremities like the fingers and toes are starving and dying.  I used to have temperature sensations like a finger was burning or hot when in fact it wasn't.  Now my tips are all a bit numb.  And now that I think about it, my condition does get worse when POISing.

I think a temporary remedy would be to increase blood circulation via exercise.  That would probably also help some of the other chemical balances that get out of wack during POIS.

devastated

« Reply #16 on: August 09, 2011, 03:17:35 AM »
Another symptom I forgot to mention (which was also described by a Spanish guy at the NakedScientists forum) is dizziness when i stand up suddenly (orthostatic intolerance) from chair or from bed (even worse). I'm not sure if it is caused by POIS or it is intensified by it, but it becomes really annoying the after the 2nd day.

Ccconfucius

« Reply #17 on: August 09, 2011, 07:04:58 AM »
I think I got that to and when I yawned I felt like passing out.

b_jim

« Reply #18 on: August 12, 2011, 01:19:23 PM »
One of the symptoms of niacin deficiency is fingertips and swarming.
Taurine = Anti-Pois
Lyme disease "cured" in 2020.

rock27

• NDL_Group
« Reply #19 on: September 02, 2011, 12:05:20 PM »
one more unusual.............................restless legs!