General Category > General POIS Discussions

How to avoid placebo and nocebo effect?

(1/2) > >>

rollercoaster:
I myself have experienced the strong effects of placebo in the past. I was 100 percent convinced I was cured of POIS after mega-dosing on vitamin D for 10 days.

Check out my old post detailing this - https://www.reddit.com/r/POIS/comments/iehwhe/update_pois_cured/

Alas, it turned out to be a placebo, as time passed by.

At the time, I was not aware I was experiencing placebo effect. In fact, I didn't believe in it for a long time. However, gradually I realized, that it has a powerful effect on your unconscious mind, and therefore, there is very little you can consciously do to counter it. As such, all of us are more or less susceptible to it (no matter how smart one thinks they are), unless we do a blinded trail on ourselves.

So, how to avoid placebo and nocebo effects while trying a new medication?

Doing a self blind trial is difficult if you're trying the drug treatment all alone.

Any suggestions are welcome.

Spartak:
Well I noticed that many post placebo stuff anyway. Like Gatlic helped me 20% or so.. I think it?s impossible to avoid, especially because when in POIS we can not be 100% rational. For me if you are not cured, or have treatment that prevents POIS 100% you might just be in placebo mindset.

demografx:
Interesting observation, Spartak!

Progecitor:

--- Quote from: rollercoaster on October 04, 2021, 04:06:15 PM ---I myself have experienced the strong effects of placebo in the past. I was 100 percent convinced I was cured of POIS after mega-dosing on vitamin D for 10 days.

Check out my old post detailing this - https://www.reddit.com/r/POIS/comments/iehwhe/update_pois_cured/

Alas, it turned out to be a placebo, as time passed by.

At the time, I was not aware I was experiencing placebo effect. In fact, I didn't believe in it for a long time. However, gradually I realized, that it has a powerful effect on your unconscious mind, and therefore, there is very little you can consciously do to counter it. As such, all of us are more or less susceptible to it (no matter how smart one thinks they are), unless we do a blinded trail on ourselves.

So, how to avoid placebo and nocebo effects while trying a new medication?

Doing a self blind trial is difficult if you're trying the drug treatment all alone.

Any suggestions are welcome.

--- End quote ---

Don't be too hard on yourself! You are probably just another victim of developing drug resistance. I also had many supplements that worked best when I first took them, but later they became less effective. If you really feel unwell during POIS it can't be possible to deceive yourself into feeling completely fine otherwise POIS would be considered a simple Psychiatric disease which is in my opinion the greatest deception of all.

berlin1984:
I agree the placebo effect needs to be considered.

However my 5 cent: It's quite common for certain nootropics or supplements to be cycled. So they might work for you initially but then they don't anymore (not saying this was the case for your case with vitamin D). I don't have an example right now that is POIS related..
https://www.google.com/search?q=cycle+nootropics+-bike

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version