Author Topic: Study: POIS and Delayed Onset Muscle Soreness (DOMS)  (Read 6330 times)

demografx

• Administrator
  • All of us working together to defeat POIS!
Study: POIS and Delayed Onset Muscle Soreness (DOMS)
« on: July 24, 2021, 01:17:49 PM »
Google Alert
Postorgasmic Illness Syndrome
As-it-happens update July 23, 2021
WEB   
Cells | Free Full-Text | Post Orgasmic Illness Syndrome (POIS) and Delayed Onset Muscle ...
MDPI
Post orgasmic illness syndrome is a rare, mysterious condition with an unknown pathomechanism and uncertain treatment. The symptoms of post ...

https://www.mdpi.com/2073-4409/10/8/1867
« Last Edit: August 03, 2021, 03:47:41 AM by berlin1984 »
10 years of significant POIS-reduction, treatment consisting of daily (365 days/year) testosterone patches.

TRT must be checked out carefully with your doctor due to fertility, cardiac and other risks.

40+ years of severe 4-days-POIS, married, raised a family, started/ran a business

Muon

• MCAD Thread
Re: Re: Google POIS Alerts
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2021, 01:37:49 PM »
Amazing find Demo.

Bob Morane

« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2021, 04:46:52 PM »
Thanks for posting this Demo!

This is actually a really interesting read with a different take. And it offers avenues less explored such as Spermidine supplements to compensate for spermidine depletion after ejaculation. A diet high in spermidine rich foods is an option too.

"The spermidine depletion-induced differences are as follows: modulation of
the acute stress response, flu-like symptoms, opioid-like withdrawal and enhanced deregulation of
the autonomic nervous system. The longitudinal dimension of delayed onset muscle soreness, in the
form of post orgasmic illness syndrome and the repeated bout effect, have cognitive and memory
consequences, since the primary injury is learning and memory-related."

Sounds familiar. They also mentioned Heart Rate Variation going lower which is something I have noticed for myself since I monitor my HRV daily.
They mention "cardiac autonomic full recovery" happening after POIS has passed. My HRV clearly goes down by several points during POIS.

I hope they will build up therapeutic interventions following this hypothesis.

Google   
Postorgasmic Illness Syndrome
As-it-happens update July 23, 2021
WEB   
Cells | Free Full-Text | Post Orgasmic Illness Syndrome (POIS) and Delayed Onset Muscle ...
MDPI
Post orgasmic illness syndrome is a rare, mysterious condition with an unknown pathomechanism and uncertain treatment. The symptoms of post ...

https://www.mdpi.com/2073-4409/10/8/1867

demografx

• Administrator
Re: Google POIS Alerts
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2021, 07:12:54 PM »

Thanks for posting this Demo!

My pleasure! Often Google Alerts only dig up POIS “hype”, so I am delighted that you - - and Muon - - liked it!!
« Last Edit: August 01, 2021, 07:16:37 PM by demografx »
10 years of significant POIS-reduction, treatment consisting of daily (365 days/year) testosterone patches.

TRT must be checked out carefully with your doctor due to fertility, cardiac and other risks.

40+ years of severe 4-days-POIS, married, raised a family, started/ran a business

drop247

« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2021, 11:39:24 AM »
That study probably deserves its own thread. Myself and others on this forum experience terrible DOMS in the days after exercise, as well as a POIS-like episode. What the authors might be missing is that the discomfort and pain of DOMS, even in normal people, is largely caused by histamine. Normal people can even take a antihistamine drug before exercise in order to avoid DOMS in the days after. I will try the high spermidine diet they suggest but I can't help but wonder if histamine is still the issue. Thanks for the article Demo, it really made me think of some things I haven't considered before, like how much exercise is involved in my POIS.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2021, 12:41:14 PM by drop247 »

demografx

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2021, 12:18:51 PM »
Thanks, drop247, best wishes.

Muon

• MCAD Thread
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2021, 12:20:45 PM »
You could make a thread about it in the article, references and links category drop247.

demografx

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2021, 06:28:20 PM »

That study probably deserves its own thread.

Feel free to start one for DOMS!

jon1_reclaim

Re: Study: POIS and Delayed Onset Muscle Soreness (DOMS)
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2021, 09:54:57 AM »
Anyone tried this supplement yet ? Sperminide ?? What a name !

demografx

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2021, 07:11:35 PM »

demografx

• Administrator

Mushnikk

« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2021, 01:00:07 AM »
I for one seem to be an exception here: I dont seem to experience significant excertional malaise. I can ride my bike for 50km per day and feel largely fine. Exercise even benefits my POIS after O.

Sperminidine seems also to be produced by certain gut bacteria. Perhaps those helped by changing their microbiome and feeling better were helped via this route.

berlin1984

• Administrator
  • Use Adaptogens and Antioxidants, they can help.
« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2021, 04:10:39 AM »
Yes I had thought about the same possibility. Messed up microbiome not producing certain vitamins anymore and also not producing spermidine anymore.

My single one day trial for spermidine: https://poiscenter.com/forums/index.php?topic=3652.msg41646#msg41646

Prospero

« Reply #15 on: August 04, 2021, 05:06:20 AM »
An opinion on this article, by a friend in pm:
"Thanks for the article. I disagree with a lot of statements made there. First of all, theoretical studies without any experiments on mouse or human  models (gene expression, not readily available blood tests etc.) are the pathway to nowhere. With the same success, I could attribute every POIS symptom to the loss of zinc in sperm. Pseudoscience seeks to prove a hypothesis correct whereas science seeks to prove it wrong. Moreover, I highly dislike the approach where they try to explain all POIS cases. This theory could be easily declined by simply providing cases where people experience POIS-symptoms just from arousal, and all that spermidine stuff goes into nowhere. This theory can't explain how so many people experience symptomatic relief from such substances as SSRIs, benzos, etc., neither how people were cured by specific dietary protocols. That said, I do not disregard the theory, but this study is completely inappropriate and can't be taken seriously. From my perspective, it is a bro-science anecdote."

I agree with the methodological criticisms, though I still welcome new ideas which can bring about further reflection.

M.F.M

« Reply #16 on: August 29, 2021, 07:20:12 AM »
My Personal Experience  disagrees to the basis of this hypothesis thats POIS  related to muscle contractions during erection and ejaculation , for the simple reason that me and i remember other fellow POIS sufferers as well has stated  that we discovered masturbation before puberty (which is more  normal than you think because children are curious) and we experienced orgasm as well but of course it was dry   , that orgasm before puberty ?dry orgasm? didnt result in POIS symptoms at all

Unless there is different muscles that are involved in orgasm after puberty , i highly doubt that this hypothesis has solid grounds to be true 

Rollo

« Reply #17 on: August 29, 2021, 01:26:12 PM »
Dry orgasms are totally possible as an adult aswell....and in my case they do not cause POIS either

Journey

• MM group
  • INTP, 19 y.o. aware of POIS since 2019
« Reply #18 on: August 31, 2021, 06:50:58 AM »
Dry orgasms are totally possible as an adult aswell....and in my case they do not cause POIS either
That means the ejaculatory mechanism that develops during puberty is involved in POIS

Rollo

« Reply #19 on: August 31, 2021, 10:09:50 AM »
So probably the sperm itself since the contraction that causes the release should hardly cause anything else on it's own, right?