Author Topic: Mastic Gum etc  (Read 13645 times)

berlin1984

• Administrator
  • Use Adaptogens and Antioxidants, they can help.
Re: Mastic Gum etc
« Reply #20 on: July 27, 2021, 03:10:04 AM »
Some small data points from me.

* Trying it for 5 days now or so. Did not try to orgasm yet.
* Using the real mastic pieces delivered from Greece, not pills or tablets or pre-made chewing gums
* Chewing them for a while because I want to also fix my peridontal problems
* Then I swallom the gum when it lost the taste for a while. I make sure to stand and have a bottle/glass of water ready as it tends to get easily stuck in throat.
* I think (can be coincidence) I get some gut symptoms (diarrhea) from it ONLY if I take it away from food and/or when I combined it with NAC as biofilm buster.
* Oregano oil and Pepto Bismol I had tried some weeks ago and they did not change POIS.
* I never did a H.Pylori test and also don't have stomach pain. I only have bloating/gas issues which this hopefully can improve. I try nowadays to eat without milk products to avoid lactose and unfermented casein. Let's see.

berlin1984

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: July 27, 2021, 02:25:45 PM »
You all mentioned that you have the mastic gum capsules..

Could you describe or make a photo on how they look inside?
Is it powdered mastic gum or is it granular pieces..

Becasuse now I think maybe my way of using it as a real chewing gum might not work as well as yours.

John21

« Reply #22 on: July 27, 2021, 06:00:06 PM »
You all mentioned that you have the mastic gum capsules..

Could you describe or make a photo on how they look inside?
Is it powdered mastic gum or is it granular pieces..

Becasuse now I think maybe my way of using it as a real chewing gum might not work as well as yours.
It is a powder inside the capsule. I doubt that the form matters whether powder or pieces.

fsol

« Reply #23 on: July 27, 2021, 09:35:55 PM »
Some initial impressions after 1-2 weeks of mastic gum:

I usually use Quantums prepack which gives me 75%-80% relief. I started with doing antibiotics + probiotics for two weeks, along with a low fodmap diet. After that I tried an O without the prepack and was immediately reminded of how terrible POIS is, without using the prepack.

I then started adding pepto bismol to the prepack and saw increasing relief. Then the mastic gum arrived and I started taking it twice a day. My initial impressions are that they provide relief overall. They also provide relief for NEs (nocturnal emissions), for which I cannot take the prepack, since they are unplanned. Another observation is that they make me bloated, like my stomach literally looks bigger, which of course isn't too great.

For now, I will continue with the mastic gum + the prepack and pepto plus a mostly low fodmap diet, as I see relief from this combination.

I'm wondering if the mastic gum has to be taken continously, or three weeks like John did will be enough..

berlin1984

• Administrator
« Reply #24 on: July 28, 2021, 09:00:25 AM »
Did any of you get chills or sore throat when taking mastic hum?

Meshal

« Reply #25 on: July 28, 2021, 11:15:30 AM »
my mastic gum order will arrive next week, hopefully.(same brand john21 used). Will try it for three weeks and post the results.

I don't take any prepacks or supplements, and do not suffer any gut problems. Just hoping to get the best out of it because why not.

John21

« Reply #26 on: July 28, 2021, 04:51:40 PM »
No, nothing like that.

Iwillbeatthis

« Reply #27 on: July 29, 2021, 06:04:17 AM »

It's most probably a die off reaction so its killing something bad, the same thing happened to me last week when I was eating lots of raw cilantro(corriander), which is good at killing salmonella (I tested positive for this). Cilantro is also a heavy metal chelator and I didn't realise it was so powerful until I tried eating lots of it raw recently.

Limejuice

• Administrator
« Reply #28 on: July 29, 2021, 05:53:36 PM »
Sorry for the tardy response. Management of my time is a challenging feat for me :)

Regarding my trials with mastic gum, I used 500 to 1000mg daily for 3 weeks (until the bottle was almost gone) and unfortunately saw little results. I suspect my inconsistency (empty stomach/full stomach, morning/night, dosage) may have effected the results, or duration may not have been long enough (some articles suggest use for up to several months). Sorry for the erratic application.

I intend on trying again with a more consistent and longer trial, and the bottle is in the mail now.

Thanks

demografx

• Administrator
  • All of us working together to defeat POIS!
« Reply #29 on: July 29, 2021, 07:00:40 PM »

Management of my time is a challenging feat for me :)

Limejuice, I gave up on that long ago.

Now I just let time manage me :)
10 years of significant POIS-reduction, treatment consisting of daily (365 days/year) testosterone patches.

TRT must be checked out carefully with your doctor due to fertility, cardiac and other risks.

40+ years of severe 4-days-POIS, married, raised a family, started/ran a business

Limejuice

• Administrator
« Reply #30 on: July 29, 2021, 11:29:15 PM »

Management of my time is a challenging feat for me :)

Limejuice, I gave up on that long ago.

Now I just let time manage me :)

;D ;D ;D

John21

« Reply #31 on: July 30, 2021, 03:39:32 AM »
Sorry for the tardy response. Management of my time is a challenging feat for me :)

Regarding my trials with mastic gum, I used 500 to 1000mg daily for 3 weeks (until the bottle was almost gone) and unfortunately saw little results. I suspect my inconsistency (empty stomach/full stomach, morning/night, dosage) may have effected the results, or duration may not have been long enough (some articles suggest use for up to several months). Sorry for the erratic application.

I intend on trying again with a more consistent and longer trial, and the bottle is in the mail now.

Thanks

This is disappointing. I am emphatic that something I took in those 3 weeks resulted in eradication of all symptoms (so far). Maybe it wasn't mastic gum, or not entirely that. Maybe 2 or 3 or 4 things worked together. It will take some experimentation to get to the bottom of this but I hold out hope that this process can help many people with POIS.

Clues

« Reply #32 on: August 01, 2021, 03:12:50 AM »
This is disappointing. I am emphatic that something I took in those 3 weeks resulted in eradication of all symptoms (so far). Maybe it wasn't mastic gum, or not entirely that. Maybe 2 or 3 or 4 things worked together. It will take some experimentation to get to the bottom of this but I hold out hope that this process can help many people with POIS.

John21, it seems entirely possible that Mastic Gum works for you, but not for someone else. Maybe a bacterial infection is your root cause, but there may be any number of root causes that lead to POIS as far as we know. Just like many things can lead to depression for example.

Btw, I'm still taking Mastic Gum as well, plus Oregano Oil and a few more things. I'm past 3 weeks now. Haven't tried orgasm yet, but there's no change in exercise intolerance so far.

John21

« Reply #33 on: August 01, 2021, 05:53:35 AM »

John21, it seems entirely possible that Mastic Gum works for you, but not for someone else. Maybe a bacterial infection is your root cause, but there may be any number of root causes that lead to POIS as far as we know. Just like many things can lead to depression for example.

Btw, I'm still taking Mastic Gum as well, plus Oregano Oil and a few more things. I'm past 3 weeks now. Haven't tried orgasm yet, but there's no change in exercise intolerance so far.

I agree, there may be different "types" of POIS. This is perhaps shown in the variety of POIS symptoms. For example I have never experienced exercise intolerance. But I hold out hope that others can benefit as I have.

demografx

• Administrator
« Reply #34 on: August 01, 2021, 10:18:08 AM »

…I hold out hope that others can benefit as I have.

Modesty! :) Many POISers have benefitted from you since 2007!
10 years of significant POIS-reduction, treatment consisting of daily (365 days/year) testosterone patches.

TRT must be checked out carefully with your doctor due to fertility, cardiac and other risks.

40+ years of severe 4-days-POIS, married, raised a family, started/ran a business

John21

« Reply #35 on: August 01, 2021, 02:01:41 PM »

Thanks Demo, but I'm sure no one has done as much as you. You took the lead from the beginning and have been encouragement to many, including myself.  Thanks for all you do!   ;D ;D

berlin1984

• Administrator
« Reply #36 on: August 01, 2021, 02:03:17 PM »
While I don't think it had an effect on my POIS (but that's hard to say because I also tested Quantum's pre-pack), I feel less bloated recently.
So it does _something_ that's for sure.

berlin1984

• Administrator
« Reply #37 on: August 01, 2021, 02:04:08 PM »
Thanks Demo, but I'm sure no one has done as much as you. You took the lead from the beginning and have been encouragement to many, including myself.  Thanks for all you do!   ;D ;D

Agreed. This forum is great!

demografx

• Administrator
« Reply #38 on: August 01, 2021, 02:08:21 PM »

:o :o

demografx

• Administrator
« Reply #39 on: August 01, 2021, 02:09:14 PM »

Agreed. This forum is great!

Thanks, Berlin!!