Author Topic: Mastic Gum etc  (Read 19577 times)

Clues

Mastic Gum etc
« on: July 05, 2021, 06:26:28 AM »
Finally found a shop that sells mastic gum (supplement) in Norway. Will give it a try and report back.

John21

Re: Re: POIS is gone! (mastic)
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2021, 04:23:08 PM »
Finally found a shop that sells mastic gum (supplement) in Norway. Will give it a try and report back.

I'm glad to hear it, hope it works!

John21

Mastic Gum etc
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2021, 04:51:30 AM »
I thought I should repost the "POIS is gone" into a separate thread with a more appropriate title to make it better for any newcomers to discover what has worked for me. The following is an explanation of what has eliminated all POIS symptoms for me. It has been about 3 months since beginning this experiment.

From my experience I became convinced that the POIS problem directly involves the gut. Initially I benefited from consuming certain things like niacin, taruine, and then Pepto Bismol. Then, POIS went away entirely after I was sick with salmonella and was treated with antibiotics. But, then it came back. So, I then decided to have a trial of supplements to eradicate whatever bacteria or virus or whatever might be living in me. I went on the assumption that my POIS was a reaction to h pylori or something like it. So I started a 3 week trial of supplements that kill h pylori.

Here is what I took for 3 weeks:
Mastic gum 400mg  2x/day
L-Glutamine 5g  1x/day
Caprylic acid 525mg 2x/day
Oregeno oil 180mg 1x/day
probiotic 1x/day

On occasion I sometimes included one of these:
Pepto Bismol (262mg tablet x2)
NAC 800mg
Taurine 1000mg
Vitamin C

Since this trial I have had no POIS symptoms at all. I think that something worked and that it is gut related in my case. Perhaps my system will revert as it did previously, time will tell whether I have to continue to supplement. I suspect that the mastic gum is the most significant one. I originally started with 3/day mastic but backed off to 2/day because it constipated me somewhat. Other in this forum have reported gastrointestinal reactions to taking it. If you have any experience with it whether positive or negative please post it here.

Clues

Re: Mastic Gum etc
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2021, 08:44:38 AM »
Very interesting report!

A root cause in the gut seems pretty likely in my case as well. I'm working on my gut health in general, and have just started taking mastic gum (two days ago). I'm also taking L-Glutamine and I'm getting Caprylic acid from my diet, so I'm already not too far off what you've been doing. I'll add oregano oil as well.

Did you take your oregano oil in a capsule? What brand was it?

EDIT: Picked up Solaray Oregano Oil 150 mg capsules. Trying a similar regimen to John21's.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2021, 11:32:45 AM by Clues »

John21

« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2021, 12:57:31 PM »
Did you take your oregano oil in a capsule? What brand was it?

I took this. I think I bought it at Costco.

Journey

• MM group
  • INTP, 19 y.o. aware of POIS since 2019
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2021, 01:59:19 PM »
I can buy L-Glutamine/Caprylic acid/Oregano oil and some probiotics too from online stores here, lately been trying out Taurine, Glycine, Lysine, Tribulus Terrestris, Ashwagandha, Zinc Picolinate however idk if mastic gum is available on any online stores at here

mike_sweden

« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2021, 09:50:23 AM »
I thought I should repost the "POIS is gone" into a separate thread with a more appropriate title to make it better for any newcomers to discover what has worked for me. The following is an explanation of what has eliminated all POIS symptoms for me. It has been about 3 months since beginning this experiment.

From my experience I became convinced that the POIS problem directly involves the gut. Initially I benefited from consuming certain things like niacin, taruine, and then Pepto Bismol. Then, POIS went away entirely after I was sick with salmonella and was treated with antibiotics. But, then it came back. So, I then decided to have a trial of supplements to eradicate whatever bacteria or virus or whatever might be living in me. I went on the assumption that my POIS was a reaction to h pylori or something like it. So I started a 3 week trial of supplements that kill h pylori.

Mastic gum 400mg  2x/day
L-Glutamine 5g  1x/day
Oregeno oil 180mg 1x/day
probiotic 1x/day

NAC 800mg
Taurine 1000mg
Vitamin C

Since this trial I have had no POIS symptoms at all. I think that something worked and that it is gut related in my case. Perhaps my system will revert as it did previously, time will tell whether I have to continue to supplement. I suspect that the mastic gum is the most significant one. I originally started with 3/day mastic but backed off to 2/day because it constipated me somewhat. Other in this forum have reported gastrointestinal reactions to taking it. If you have any experience with it whether positive or negative please post it here.

dont you think it was the pepto bismol that healed you?

John21

« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2021, 05:26:04 PM »

Mastic gum 400mg  2x/day
L-Glutamine 5g  1x/day
Oregeno oil 180mg 1x/day
probiotic 1x/day

NAC 800mg
Taurine 1000mg
Vitamin C

dont you think it was the pepto bismol that healed you?

No I don't. During this trial I only took it a couple of times. It has never resoled POIS long term before why would that be the case now? Perhaps more than one of the supplements contributed but I currently believe that mastic gum is the all-star in the lineup.

Meshal

« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2021, 12:44:25 PM »
An update on my attempt from your success, John. I bought the mastic gum Monday at Vitamin Shoppe (due to delayed shipping on Amazon's part and my impatience).  It's been 3 days taking 500mg 3 times daily 30 minutes before meals.  You were right - the cramping/knots are real. This supplement is noticeably interacting with my stomach and intestines.   The feedback, while negatively feeling, is a positive sign that change could be taking place. However, from your timeline, it's far to early to confirm if the supplement is actually benefiting my body. The other supplements I'm taking as well, and have in the past (all except the mastic gum). These aren't and haven't provided any physical feedback. Perhaps they can support the mastic gum though. So just an update from your protocol.  Thanks

Hello there, Limejuice!

any updates on your trial? I sure do hope for a success.

Meshal

« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2021, 12:48:07 PM »
Mastic gum still going strong...
You're the second person after John21 who had success with it. Looks like I'll be hopping on that mastic gum train very soon!

Clues

« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2021, 02:13:30 AM »
I've been taking Mastic Gum for about a week. No change so far. Will keep you posted. Anyone else experimenting with this, let us know your dosage and what form you take it in. (Supplement or natural resin.)

I bought the supplement from Jarrow Formulas. Each capsule is 500 mg, but it says on the package a serving is two capsules. I've started taking only 500 mg, one capsule, daily, as John21 was taking 400 mg per day and having success with that I think. Just want to make it last a bit longer as it's fairly expensive.

John21

« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2021, 05:36:55 AM »
I've been taking Mastic Gum for about a week. No change so far. Will keep you posted. Anyone else experimenting with this, let us know your dosage and what form you take it in. (Supplement or natural resin.)

I bought the supplement from Jarrow Formulas. Each capsule is 500 mg, but it says on the package a serving is two capsules. I've started taking only 500 mg, one capsule, daily, as John21 was taking 400 mg per day and having success with that I think. Just want to make it last a bit longer as it's fairly expensive.

The brand that I have are 400mg.  I started at 3x per day but backed off to 2x per day to rid myself of constipation. 

Clues

« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2021, 05:48:33 AM »
The brand that I have are 400mg.  I started at 3x per day but backed off to 2x per day to rid myself of constipation. 

Is that 400 mg per capsule, or 400 mg per serving? Assuming it's 400 mg per capsule, would you say you took 800 mg in total per day for most of those 3 weeks?

Mushnikk

« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2021, 06:45:43 AM »
There are reports that Mastic gum capsules work better than tablets. I take the capsules - lets see where I am at in two weeks.

fsol

« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2021, 09:54:29 AM »
I'm taking mastic gum capsules as well. Will try twice a day, but will combine them with pepto and a pre-pack before and after O.

John21

« Reply #15 on: July 16, 2021, 04:12:57 PM »

Is that 400 mg per capsule, or 400 mg per serving? Assuming it's 400 mg per capsule, would you say you took 800 mg in total per day for most of those 3 weeks?
400 per capsule, so 800mg/day for most of the time. I was on 1200mg/day for a few days only at the beginning.

Pontevin

« Reply #16 on: July 18, 2021, 10:38:22 AM »
Hey @John21

Could you post a link to the mastic gum brand you used?

I?ve found that gastrodenol which is chemically similar to Pepto has eliminated my anxiety completely. But it?s not for long-term use.

Thanks for posting!

John21

« Reply #17 on: July 18, 2021, 01:30:31 PM »
Hey @John21

I?ve found that gastrodenol which is chemically similar to Pepto has eliminated my anxiety completely. But it?s not for long-term use.

Thanks for posting!

Sure no problem here it is.

Progecitor

• Aphrodisiacs are effective
« Reply #18 on: July 19, 2021, 12:35:22 PM »
Another theoretical possibility involves 11B-HSD1 inhibition.
Mastic gum inhibits 11B-HSD1 which converts the inactive cortisone to the active cortisol form. Others here had success with green tea that contains EGCG and this is another 11B-HSD1 inhibitor. Coumestrol (alfalfa) and glycyrrhetinic acid (liquorice) also inhibit 11B-HSD1, however they inhibit other 17B-HSD types as well, so they are not selective.
Besides E. japonica Banaba leaf extract also contains corosolic acid which is an 11B-HSD1 inhibitor and could be a good thing to investigate. Furthermore fenofibrate is a selective 11B-HSD1 inhibitor while ketoconazole is a selective 11B-HSD2 inhibitor. As a side note Banaba leaf and fenofibrate are PPARA agonists as well.
Although alfalfa and liquorice work for me, recently I have retested matcha tea and green tea and I had to realize that they don't work in my case. This makes it more likely that my case is connected to 17B-HSDs, but I am still going to test mastic gum if I have the opportunity.

The microsomal enzyme 11B-hydroxysteroid deydrogenase type 1 (11B-HSD1) catalyzes the interconversion of glucocorticoid receptor-inert cortisone to receptor-active cortisol, thereby acting as an intracellular switch for regulating the access of glucocorticoid hormones to the glucocorticoid receptor. There is strong evidence for an important aetiological role of 11B-HSD1 in various metabolic disorders including insulin resistance, diabetes type 2, hypertension, dyslipidemia and obesity. Hence, modulation of 11B-HSD1 activity with selective inhibitors is being pursued as a new therapeutic approach for the treatment of the metabolic syndrome.
Indeed we found that tea extracts inhibited 11B-HSD1 mediated cortisone reduction, where green tea exhibited the highest inhibitory potency with an IC50 value of 3.749 mg dried tea leaves per ml.
(?)-Epigallocatechin gallate (EGCG) revealed the highest inhibition of 11B-HSD1 activity (reduction: IC50?=?57.99 uM; oxidation: IC50?=?131.2 uM). Detailed kinetic studies indicate a direct competition mode of EGCG, with substrate and/or cofactor binding. Inhibition constants of EGCG on cortisone reduction were Ki?=?22.68 uM for microsomes and Ki?=?18.74 uM for purified 11B-HSD1.

https://journals.plos.org/plosone/article?id=10.1371/journal.pone.0084468

The short-chain dehydrogenase/reductase (SDR) enzyme family are nicotinamide adenine dinucleotide NAD (phosphate (P))-dependent enzymes.
The SDR family contains HSDs that play key roles in adrenal and gonadal steroidogenesis as well as in the metabolism of steroids in peripheral tissues. Some of these HSDs are considered as promising therapeutic targets for the treatment of estrogen- and androgen-dependent diseases such as osteoporosis, endometriosis, and breast and prostate cancer, and other enzymes gained interest regarding the treatment of corticosteroid-related diseases such as diabetes, visceral obesity and dyslipidemia, atherosclerosis, wound healing, glaucoma, neurodegenerative disease, and cognitive impairment.
The two isoenzymes of 11B-HSD catalyze the interconversion of the biologically inactive cortisone and the active cortisol. The 11B-HSD1 is ubiquitously expressed and mediates the regeneration of active glucocorticoids, whereas 11B-HSD2 catalyzes the inactivation of glucocorticoids mainly in the kidney, colon and placenta. There is evidence for beneficial effects of 11B-HSD1 inhibition in the metabolic syndrome, atherosclerosis, osteoporosis, glaucoma, cognitive functions, skin aging, and wound healing. Thus, inhibition of 11B-HSD1 has substantial therapeutic potential for glucocorticoid-related diseases. Numerous 11B-HSD1 inhibitors have already been identified and some have reached the clinical phase, but to date still no 11B-HSD1 inhibitor is on the market.
These models identified compounds resembling the structure of the known unselective 11B-HSD inhibitor glycyrrhetinic acid (GA), steroid-like compounds, and novel structural classes.
Earlier investigations led to the assumption that extracts from the anti-diabetic medical plant loquat (Eriobotrya japonica) dose-dependently and preferentially inhibit 11B-HSD1 over 11B-HSD2. Therefore, the virtual screening hit corosolic acid, a known constituent of E. japonica, was tested and identified as potent inhibitor of human 11B-HSD1 with an IC50 of 810 nM. Subsequent bioassay-guided phytochemical analyses revealed further secondary metabolites from the triterpenoid ursane type as 11B-HSD1 inhibitors with IC50 in the micromolar range. Importantly, a mixture of the constituents with moderate inhibitory activities displayed an additive effect. This is a common observation in phytotherapy, where a mixture of constituents is often responsible for the therapeutic effect.
Both the refined 11B-HSD1 (A) and 11B-HSD2 (B) model identified novel scaffolds. The inhibitor fenofibrate maps the 11B-HSD1 model (A) and ketoconazole matches the 11B-HSD2 model.
Using the refined 11B-HSD1 model, Vuorinen et al. applied a VS to filter a database consisting of constituents from medicinal plants to identify potential 11B-HSD1 inhibitors focusing on triterpenoids present in Pistacia lentiscus (P. lentiscus), so-called mastic gum that is used in traditional Greek medicine for the treatment of diabetes. The VS hit list contained eight hits of P. lentiscus constituents. The two main constituents of mastic gum, masticadienonic acid and isomasticadienonic acid, were chosen for further biological evaluation. Both compounds were shown to selectively inhibit 11B-HSD1 over 11B-HSD2 with IC50 values of 2.51 uM for masticadienonic acid and 1.94 uM for isomasticadienonic acid, respectively. Examination of the whole resin's activity revealed half the IC50 value of the single molecules, suggesting an additive inhibitory effect. Thus, the hypothesis of 11B-HSD1 involvement in the antidiabetic activity of mastic gum was supported.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6332202/
The cause is probably the senescence of sexual organs and resultant inducible SASP, which also acts as a kind of non-diabetic metabolic syndrome.

Pontevin

« Reply #19 on: July 20, 2021, 05:58:07 AM »
Hey @John21

Thanks for posting!

Sure no problem here it is.

Thanks @John21 !! ;D