Author Topic: An introduction to Prospero's case  (Read 946 times)

Muon

• MCAD Thread
Re: An introduction to Prospero's case
« Reply #15 on: January 27, 2021, 01:39:54 PM »
Last months increased breathing problems. Low respiratory rate ~6 (once every 10 seconds) and sometimes it stalls and have to remind myself to breath, respiratory muscle are slightly weak (need force). This leads to Arrhythmia (not the other way around). One of these days I will get a heart attack. If I force myself to maintain a normal RR my body feels better instantly, brain and extremities ,especially the feet. Healtcare doesn't monitor these things, what a joke.

Hello,
It looks like I have a similar problem these days. Did you find a way to manage this? Thank you.

Not really, however, avoiding POIS attacks, (restraint/static) stress, high temperatures and bad posture decreases the risk of heavier episodes of these.

https://poiscenter.com/forums/index.php?topic=3591.0

Prospero

« Reply #16 on: January 27, 2021, 05:49:16 PM »
Thank you for your response.
As for my respiratory rate, I measured 15 breaths per minute, but I guess that it's not faithful to what happens, because my breathing is different if I focus on it or if I don't think of it.
My breathing problems seem to be related to a kind of irrepressible nervousness, though I'm not sure if nervousness causes bad breathing or the reverse. Also, I'm very constipated these days, I wonder if it could be linked.

Some additional information on my case:

- I have been taking anti-histamines (desloratadine) very regularly for long periods of time when I was younger, before POIS onset (approximatively between 2008 and 2014, I'd say, and much less frequently until 2016), first because of my allergies which were thought to result in eczema, and then because of my cholinergic urticaria (which manifested only when I went bathing). At the time, desloratadine didn't trigger any special nervousness, which it now does, at least during POIS episodes (but they never really end). I report this because some people here seem to think that prolonged use of anti-histamines can in fact increase histamine production and allergic sensitivity.

- In 2019 I suddenly developed a mild phimosis and had an injury of the frenulum. I don't know which caused which: one day pulling back the foreskin became a bit more difficult and painful, notably in the frenulum, and a few months later, when I had a rare sexual intercourse with a woman, my frenulum was injured and bled. Since then, stretching the frenulum is very painful, pulling back the foreskin when I have an erection is impossible, the extremity of the glans seems permanently irritated (there is a point, just at the junction of the frenulum and the urethra, which is now abnormally red, like an inflammation or a little cut which doesn't heal), and having a coitus is impossible (too painful). "Fortunately" I don't have a girlfriend. When I saw a urologist recently, he estimated that the frenulum should be removed. As for the phimosis properly said, its intensity varies through time: most of the time it isn't really obvious, there is just the frenulum problem which prevents me from pulling the foreskin, but sometimes the foreskin is much more tight and adhesive, to the point that when I finally pull it, the glans is red and irritated.
Before 2019 I had never had any problem of phimosis or frenulum. It may be a pure coincidence if this happened but... well, no, I don't really believe in this kind of coincidence, I guess there is a link with POIS. Maybe a chronic inflammation of the genital tract which resulted in the weakening of the frenulum? A consequence of a general tension and stress in my body? I've also read that scleroderma (connective tissue autoimmune disease) can cause dyspareunia (my kind of problem), and scleroderma develops through Th1 & Th17, ROS, VEGF upregulation, etc., i.e. mechanisms which have been discussed for POIS.

- Someone recently mentioned hiatus hernia, it's a common problem in my family and it may cause my important bloating & digestive issues, I don't know.

Also, an update about the strange problem I described on January 7 (feeling like I'm intoxicated with some chemicals of sexual pleasure): it finally disappeared, maybe 10 or 15 days ago. Before that, I tried to provoke an orgasm and didn't had POIS symptoms (this isn't the experience of CharlesB, as he told me), though it didn't put an end to the problem, either.

Are you going to make an appointment with Dr. Amarenco?
Finally, after many exchanges with the different secretaries of Pr. Amarenco and his service, he notified me that he doesn't see POIS patients anymore, and sent me to one of his colleagues. I'll have an appointment in the beginning of February.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2021, 07:25:07 AM by Prospero »

Muon

• MCAD Thread
« Reply #17 on: February 06, 2021, 04:59:11 PM »
How is your breathing rhythm while taking tramadol?

Prospero

« Reply #18 on: February 06, 2021, 05:14:52 PM »
It was rather normal when I took opioids, but I took opioids at times when my breathing rhythm was already normal. (I wouldn't try to take opioids when I have breathing difficulties.)

Muon

• MCAD Thread
« Reply #19 on: February 06, 2021, 05:35:33 PM »
It was rather normal when I took opioids, but I took opioids at times when my breathing rhythm was already normal. (I wouldn't try to take opioids when I have breathing difficulties.)

How is your breathing rhythm post O when your breathing rhythm is normal pre O? The same?

Prospero

« Reply #20 on: February 06, 2021, 06:18:14 PM »
It depends. Generally speaking, in a POIS state my breathing is not as good as in a "perfect health" state : it is less deep in particular, but as I said I'm not sure the *rhythm* itself is changed. These changes happen not after an orgasm but before, as a consequence of arousal. This is very clear. The rhythm certainly changes when I'm sexually aroused : I believe that is slows down, sometimes I realize that I have been holding my breath for a few seconds. When arousal stops, I guess that my rhythm is normalized but my breathing remains weaker. It somewhat evokes the problems of tensed diaphragm which a recent post by "Freeman" mentioned.

That being said, there is another problem which I mentioned in the previous posts regarding breathing, which is a more advanced state of impaired breathing: I feel that my breathing is really slowed when I don't care about it, I feel like I have to "force" myself to breath, and it seems to provoke arrhythmia, as you described. This is not a common post-orgasmic symptom but something which appears either 1/ more or less spontaneously, when I'm in a POIS state (that is, almost always), without appearant reason, 2/ after a longer period of arousal and/or masturbation (ie more than a couple of minutes), or 3/ after sustained physical exercise.
It doesn't happen every time after those triggers, and in fact it is rather rare. I didn't notice that orgasm in particular would trigger this problem, but it may perfectly have been the case that it happened in the past.
Oh, and I'm not sure about this but I would also say that intense stress/anxiety can provoke similar breathing difficulties in the aftermath.

There may be a third aspect of breathing problems, which centers more on having difficulties to inhale fully. As I have noticed that, the last time I had this breathing problem, I was very constipated, and as I believe that it was also the case in the past, I wonder if there may not be a link with a Roemheld Syndrome (bloatings, constipated digestive system and maybe hiatal hernia or other stomach problems, which create a pressure on the lungs, heart and/or vagus nerve). A pain in the heart area, especially when air bubbles go up the oesophagus, is a very recurring symptom since my teen years, especially when I'm constipated and also especially after a sustained arousal since my POIS onset.

Edit : I just saw what you posted in your personal thread. These are interesting hypotheses indeed.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2021, 05:31:28 AM by Prospero »

Prospero

« Reply #21 on: February 12, 2021, 11:17:29 AM »
Some experiments:

Recently, as I was feeling better than is usually the case (no ejaculation since a while, zero sexual arousal, omega-3 doing their job to prevent my now-chronic symptoms like tachycardia), I tried some immune supplements anew.

I began with low-dose vitamin D3 (400 IU), which I took for a few days. I remembered that when I took it during the fall, one of the first apparent benefits had been that my dry mouth & throat, which felt almost irritated, came back to normal very quickly. I didn't know if it was a coincidence, so as I had the same symptom of dry mouth & throat last week, I thought it would be useful to try and see. The result of the experiment was the same : the dryness disappeared in 24h after beginning daily vitamin D3, and came back only a few days after having stopped to take it. This time, vitamin D3 didn't cause me strange symptoms of "pleasure intoxication". I guess that it's because I didn't have any moment of arousal and POIS state was kept in check, as I also had this "pleasure intoxication" triggered out of D3 by arousal. Last september D3 didn't have bad effects either, before I began to have some arousal episodes. However, this time I took less D3 (400 IU rather than 800) and only for a week, maybe it would have been different otherwise.

Whatever it be, I stopped D3 after a week and began zinc instead, since the beginning of the week. I had also already tried zinc last October, but only a few times because I felt that it aggravated my tachycardia and general POIS condition. However, as I had many problems at the time related to POIS, vitamin D3, etc., and as I was more frequently aroused, I wasn't really sure that zinc had such an effect. This time also, I tried it at lower dose, 15 mg daily rather than 30 mg. I take it during lunch. I didn't feel any particular effect in the first days but now they appeared. Yesterday I was feeling great in the morning (I could climb quickly the six floors of my apartment block without shortness of breath, which *never* happens during POIS and with tachycardia), but some time after the lunch I was suddenly tired, needed to lie down, and finally began to feel that several classic symptoms of POIS were here again. I checked my heart rate which was 92 bpm, clear tachycardia. Nonetheless I was not sure it was zinc because just after the lunch I had played at a video game for some time, which generated stress, and I never feel very good after stress. In the evening I took a warm shower and felt good anew, symptoms being gone. Heart rate 64 bpm, normal. Today I wake up in the same healthy state, but this time I was very careful not to do anything stressful during the day. Same thing happened however, a few time after my lunch and the zinc pill, I suddenly perceived that "POIS" was coming back, breath being shortened and less deep, feeling more tired. Heart rhythm 94 bpm.

So I guess that there may be two main explanations : 1/ immune activation due to zinc, as expected by nanna1 (the idea of taking zinc came from his posts, of course) ; 2/ zinc is linked to some neurotransmittors so maybe something happens at this level. I'm more inclined to favor the immune activation explanation, but I find a bit odd that a warm shower is sufficient to put an end to the symptoms, if this is so. Or the scheme is something like Zinc -> immune activation -> triggering of nervous symptoms -> nervous symptoms can be removed while immune reaction continues without manifest symptoms.

Also, I had my appointment in Pr. Amarenco's service, at Hospital Tenon (not with him personally). Nothing notable, the doctor was not very talkative. "There is seemingly a dysfunction of the autonomous nervous system" was all that she said about POIS. She wants me to come back for complementary examinations and mentioned a MRI (I said that I had had a cerebral MRI, but I read elsewhere that Amarenco & alii had studied the spinal column of previous patients). I'll have a notification for the appointment, probably not very soon, apparently. Ah, and she gave me cetirizine, to try.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2021, 11:33:37 AM by Prospero »

Muon

• MCAD Thread
« Reply #22 on: February 12, 2021, 11:44:38 AM »
The ANS affects the immune system. Let me know when you have the MRI planned and of your MRI results. I can postpone my spinal MRI again and look at your results first. Not sure if I have asked this already but do you have premature ejaculation?

Prospero

« Reply #23 on: February 12, 2021, 11:56:31 AM »
No premature ejaculation. I guess that you shouldn't postpone anything, the doctor was quite clear in telling me that it should take a while.

Prospero

« Reply #24 on: March 02, 2021, 05:24:00 PM »
Curcumin & black pepper 1h before O: extremely similar to the effect of Paracetamol. I feel that I'm a bit "emptied", and I get out of breath quickly if I make a little physical effort (climbing up my stairs...), but I'm overall good.

BoneBroth

« Reply #25 on: March 03, 2021, 06:09:10 AM »
This is absolutely nightmarish, as avoiding sexual stimulation is my main option to fight POIS, if my brain acts by itself as if I was continually masturbating or aroused, it's really scary. I didn't read anyone with this kind of problem on the forum.

Same here, just a sexual arosal, if only for some seconds, will cause headache for hours to days. But sometimes it does not. I belive this happens when dopamin receptor cells are overstimulated, or over production of dopamin, or there is a temporary hormon deficiency. When I feel mentally stronger I build up a resistance against the effects of theese arousal. So its definitly possible to work with. Have a look at my story at the link below, its much the same as yours Prospero.

We must be aware of that the efficiency of absorption of nutrients (D3, Zink etc) varies greatly depending on where in the POIS cycle we are. After O the intake is probable very low and stays low for a week since the intestines are inflamed. Then the supplements might seem less efficient. The sexual arousal also has it cycles. I can stay "cold" about 20-30 days, but then the NE is more likely to appear again. So its more important to build up resistance between POIS periods, its important to take those supplements when they are doing the most work.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2021, 06:19:20 AM by BoneBroth »

Muon

• MCAD Thread
« Reply #26 on: April 14, 2021, 10:28:57 AM »
- I feel "less heterosexual", or "less manly", in a POIS state, and I experience a much stronger desire for females out of it, as well as a stronger "willingness to assume a manly role", sexually.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Progesterone
"Dr. Diana Fleischman, of the University of Portsmouth, and colleagues looked for a relationship between progesterone and sexual attitudes in 92 women. Their research, published in the Archives of Sexual Behavior found that women who had higher levels of progesterone scored higher on a questionnaire measuring homoerotic motivation. They also found that men who had high levels of progesterone were more likely to have higher homoerotic motivation scores after affiliative priming compared to men with low levels of progesterone."

https://poiscenter.com/forums/index.php?topic=2545.msg40271#msg40271

Prospero

« Reply #27 on: April 14, 2021, 10:47:24 AM »
This is extremely interesting, thank you. Your progesterone result is incredible. I want to do more hormonal blood tests too, I planned an appointment with my doctor at the end of the month to try to get a prescription.