Poll

Do you get brain fog after a few days of Abstinence?

Don't know
No
Yes, then I need to have sex or masturbation to feel normal again until POIS symptoms hit
Yes, but brain fog goes away again after some time and I push through (please clarify in post)

Author Topic: Do you get brain fog after a few days of Abstinence?  (Read 3262 times)

berlin1984

• Administrator
  • Use Adaptogens and Antioxidants, they can help.
Do you get brain fog after a few days of Abstinence?
« on: March 05, 2021, 05:09:36 PM »
I've seen this mentioned in a post some time ago and can't find it anymore.

For me personally, this is one of the reasons this cycle is so endless and I'm thinking it's some kind of regulation issue in the body. I medicate myself with orgasms, even though they cause me trouble when masturbating (with sex, the POIS is bearable).

It also plays into the effect where a subsequent orgasm is needed for me on the next day because something is out of whack and a second orgasms makes me feel clearer.

Iwillbeatthis

Re: Do you get brain fog after a few days of Abstinence?
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2021, 05:56:52 PM »
Yeah I have this also maybe not a few days but after a few weeks I get brain fog and an orgasm resolves this problem temporarily until the POIS kicks in.

BoneBroth

« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2021, 01:29:48 PM »
Maybe its just diffrent stages of the inflammation. I can feel how the headache changes from whidespread sharp to dull to foggy to sharp again at the endstage.

berlin1984

• Administrator
  • Use Adaptogens and Antioxidants, they can help.
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2021, 02:40:25 PM »
I now believe for me this is related to histamine(?) or something else accumulating and needs to be "released".

Reason could be my histamine mutations(?).
https://poiscenter.com/forums/index.php?topic=2684.msg42120#msg42120

Cursed

« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2021, 06:24:36 AM »
Histamine is just a single molecule, we tend to focus on it because we know something about it. In reality, I think it's much more complex. I ALWAYS have severe brain fog, whether in POIS or not, but I also get this effect that on the day of ejacultion I will feel better than usual, less foggy. My guess is that it's because of temporary immune suppression, but why would it happen? I have no idea.

Journey

• MM group
  • INTP, 19 y.o. aware of POIS since 2019
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2021, 06:37:47 AM »
Yeah, on abstinence too my mind "fills up"and proper orgasm/ejaculation can clear it out for some days but then POIS appears again

It is weird because some orgasms can worsen my state and in some times they can improve my state

But there are POIS symptoms that appear always even if otherwise they clear out abstinence brain fog like that heart rate increase and overexcited feeling if ejaculating once evening sleepiness sets in that gets rid of the sleepy feeling making me wait 1-2 hours till I fall asleep fully whereas if I had not ejaculated in evening I fall asleep in 10 minutes

BoneBroth

« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2021, 09:19:46 AM »
Histamine is just a single molecule, we tend to focus on it because we know something about it. In reality, I think it's much more complex. I ALWAYS have severe brain fog, whether in POIS or not, but I also get this effect that on the day of ejacultion I will feel better than usual, less foggy. My guess is that it's because of temporary immune suppression, but why would it happen? I have no idea.
I also have continous brain fog, but it seems very linked to the gut health and inflammation of the gut/liver/intestines/pancras. When the intestines become inflamed they leak substances that are not suppose to be in the blood stream. The liver takes on the work of breaking them down. Its doing the work of the stommach/intestines but its not made for breaking down undigested food substances so the substances are circulating around in the blood vessels and up in the brain. There they sets down in the brain tissue which call an immune response which cause inflammation which cause headache and other things like skin issues. Only way to fix it (if thats your problem too) is to heal the broken wall of the intestines and eat food that is better tolerated and not cause so much reactions in the blood stream. FODMAP for example.

Cursed

« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2021, 09:40:50 AM »
I also have continous brain fog, but it seems very linked to the gut health and inflammation of the gut/liver/intestines/pancras. When the intestines become inflamed they leak substances that are not suppose to be in the blood stream. The liver takes on the work of breaking them down. Its doing the work of the stommach/intestines but its not made for breaking down undigested food substances so the substances are circulating around in the blood vessels and up in the brain. There they sets down in the brain tissue which call an immune response which cause inflammation which cause headache and other things like skin issues. Only way to fix it (if thats your problem too) is to heal the broken wall of the intestines and eat food that is better tolerated and not cause so much reactions in the blood stream. FODMAP for example.

Yes, I completely agree about the gut, and have known that for a very long time. Unfortunately I haven't been able to fix it  in 7 years and have tried just about everything.

Also, it's not just bacteria and toxins leaking into the bloodstream, but the vagus nerve senses the inflammation in the gut and sends signals to the brain, possibly activating microglia and causing this "mirroring" effect.

Journey

• MM group
  • INTP, 19 y.o. aware of POIS since 2019
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2021, 12:41:37 PM »
L-Glutamine heals gut walls

BoneBroth

« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2021, 03:00:07 PM »
Yes I've emptied a can of L-glutamin last months (along with aloe vera juice and glucosamine) but got no lasting result, yesterday I ate a curry chicken soup and today my stool looks like light-yellowish oatmeal. I got headache and pain in my feets due to loss of connectie tissue (cortisol excess due to inflammation).  I can't eat spices anymore. I have to find a better gut healing protocol. I've ordered a DNA-stool test that hopefully will give my SIBO terapist a clue to where I should begin, what supplement to start with, what food to eat. POIS is definitly making the intestines leak, but now I get the "leak-symptoms" only by eating the wrong foods. I guess the condition of the intestines has become worse during the years with POIS.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2021, 03:03:37 PM by BoneBroth »

under maintenance

« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2021, 08:55:30 AM »
I don't, every day feel better than the before if I abstine

DRAGOS-MARIAN

« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2022, 06:25:21 AM »

Yes, I completely agree about the gut, and have known that for a very long time. Unfortunately I haven't been able to fix it  in 7 years and have tried just about everything.

Also, it's not just bacteria and toxins leaking into the bloodstream, but the vagus nerve senses the inflammation in the gut and sends signals to the brain, possibly activating microglia and causing this "mirroring" effect.
   have you tried Sodyum Butiarte?

BoneBroth

« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2022, 08:30:02 AM »
Not yet, but my therapist sais that I should start with butanoic acid for the SIBO issue. Probably the same as Sodium butyrate. The "but"-part comes from the word "butter".