Author Topic: Nocturnal Emission without POIS  (Read 24609 times)

BluesBrother

Re: Nocturnal Emission without POIS
« Reply #20 on: February 14, 2015, 06:14:15 AM »
So I've realized that when I have nocturnal emissions, I don't have POIS. In fact, I feel great the next day. I'm wondering if this means that my POIS is just psychological. Thoughts?

I occasionally also have nocturnal emissions with no POIS symptoms at all (not just reduced symptoms), and I also feel great the next day. I have the impression that having no POIS symptoms after NE is more likely to happen if I only wake up after the ejaculation has happened. Sometimes I wake up shortly before the ejaculation, but cannot prevent it anymore. In those cases, I tend to get POIS symptoms the next day, but much reduced. The latter phenomenon might have to do with anxiety / being conscious. Like Quantum suggested.

Quote from: Quantum
also important but less obvious, being conscious of an upcoming ejaculation will trigger in me some anxiety or fear, even if I am not aware of this anxiety

Most of the discussion on this thread concerning reasons for reduced symptoms centered around the body being in a state of relaxation during NE, due to already having had some sleep before ejaculation - and getting more sleep afterwards. I would like to throw another aspect into the discussion. There might be differences in the composition of the ejaculate between NE and 'normal' ejaculations. I came across this article

Hovav, Yedidya, Mary Dan-Goor, Haim Yaffe, and Miriam Almagor. 1999. ?Nocturnal Sperm Emission in Men with Psychogenic Anejaculation.? Fertility and Sterility 72 (2): 364?65. doi:10.1016/S0015-0282(99)00239-3. http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0015028299002393

which compares the characteristics of the ejaculate obtained from nocturnal emissions with those obtained from electro-ejaculation. I quote:

"Nocturnal sperm emission is an autonomous reflex mediated by the sympathetic nervous system. Because this reflex may not be fully stimulated, the concentration and motility of the ejaculated sperm might be affected."

And further:

"In four patients, the concentration and motility of sperm obtained from freeze-thawed nocturnal emission were decreased compared with sperm from electroejaculation. Fertilization rates after ICSI using the nocturnal emission sperm were relatively low (45%)."

However, there is a newer article which finds the opposite result: higher sperm quality and motility in NE:

Meng, Xianghu, Longchang Fan, Jihong Liu, Tao Wang, Jun Yang, Junkai Wang, Shaogang Wang, and Zhangqun Ye. 2013. ?Fresh Semen Quality in Ejaculates Produced by Nocturnal Emission in Men with Idiopathic Anejaculation.? Fertility and Sterility 100 (5): 1248?52. doi:10.1016/j.fertnstert.2013.07.1979. http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0015028213027659

I quote:

"Sperm motility and normal morphology were higher in patients who collected sperm by NE than in those who collected sperm by PVS and EEJ."

The authors attribute the difference to the previous study to:

"This discrepancy in results may be attributed to two reasons. One is that the semen samples collected by NE used the freeze-thaw technique, which can influence the quality of fresh semen (20, 21). The other may be related to the limited sample size (four men) of the previous study."

The newer study is based on a sample of 91 men. Since there are so far few studies on NE, the evidence is far from conclusive. But it might well be that there are differences in the composition of the ejaculate obtained from NE and 'normal' ejaculations - and that this plays a role for the amount of POIS symptoms experienced (or the absence of these symptoms).
« Last Edit: February 14, 2015, 06:27:05 AM by BluesBrother »
Used to have brain fog, flue-like symptoms, un-refreshing sleep, extreme exhaustion, muscle and joint pain, digestive problems, social anxiety, urge to urinate frequently.
Used niacin in the past. Now using nanna1's maintenance stack. Exhaustion and brain fog now main problem. 3-day POIS cycle

G-man

« Reply #21 on: February 18, 2015, 01:18:06 PM »
I used to think that Daveman's case was absolute proof that POIS is not caused by an underlying psychological issue. Now I am not so sure, I can definitely see how a vasectomy reversal can cause someone to worry or be fearful subconsciously

Scary sheep

« Reply #22 on: February 18, 2015, 04:56:11 PM »
To add a different experience to this discussion, I have personally never experienced a nocturnal emission that DIDN'T result in symptoms, and I unfortunately experience them on an almost weekly basis.
Symptoms last 6-7 days. Onset of muscle weakness after 30 seconds. Symptoms include: brain fog, fatigue, depression, pale skin/dark circles under eyes,  digestive problems, difficulty taking a full breath, irritability. NONE of these are present out of POIS.

mtkmtk

« Reply #23 on: October 02, 2015, 08:27:10 PM »
I also don't have symptoms after NE. I thought it was because I got to sleep after it happened but the other day I woke up (after NE) and tried to stay up to see if symptom occurs but it didn't.

The interesting thing is I'm pretty sure my semen composition from NE and masturbation is different. My semen from nocturnal emission is *not* sticky and doesn't leave stain, unlike from masturbation. Anyone has any idea why that is?

Raj

« Reply #24 on: June 20, 2016, 05:10:43 PM »
My semen from nocturnal emission is *not* sticky and doesn't leave stain, unlike from masturbation. Anyone has any idea why that is?

I experience the same. The semen from masturbation is a lot thicker and whiter whereas the semen from NE is watery and looks like urine. And one thing, I usually experience dreamless NE's and they don't cause much harm. But when I dream nasty stuff, NE's become more intense and a great amount of semen is released at that time. Also, that semen is thicker like the masturbation one. In that case, my symptoms are strong and they last for days. Things have become too complicated. Any latest idea on how to avoid NE's? I have the ability to abstain for life time. But whenever I have NE's, I tend to break my focus and give up like a loser.

demografx

• Administrator
  • All of us working together to defeat POIS!
« Reply #25 on: June 20, 2016, 06:52:35 PM »
I never have nocturnal emissions anymore, but when I did, they gave me just as bad POIS.
Same here.
10 years of significant POIS-reduction, treatment consisting of daily (365 days/year) testosterone patches.

TRT must be checked out carefully with your doctor due to fertility, cardiac and other risks.

40+ years of severe 4-days-POIS, married, raised a family, started/ran a business

Spartak

« Reply #26 on: June 26, 2016, 06:16:14 PM »
Never expirienced such a thing,every sort of O cause me POIS.
I even opened topic about my expiriences when I durring sleep woke up stop O,no E.
And still develop severe POIS (less then after regular E ,but still severe).

no sugar diet helps me a tiny bit, also makes my mind much calmer in general. Sugar is definitely something my body does not handle well. Also I noticed that other inflammations like a hangover are better since I quit sugar. I avoid sweet fruits as well.

tony

night emissions don't give me POIS
« Reply #27 on: September 12, 2021, 10:07:11 AM »
I haven't masturbated for 70 days and I had some nocturnal emissions but they didn't give me any symptoms, do any of you also have no symptoms with nocturnal emission?

asdfasdf

Re: night emissions don't give me POIS
« Reply #29 on: September 12, 2021, 12:51:11 PM »
(I think Muon's link is about a mostly unrelated topic so we can continue discussion here.)

Same - wet dreams don't give me POIS.

If this is common, that's scientifically interesting. Let's poll: how many others here do/don't get symptoms from wet dreams?

tony

« Reply #30 on: September 12, 2021, 01:31:22 PM »
Do you have POIS when having sex?
(I haven't had sex since I started having POIS symptoms)

Journey

• MM group
  • INTP, 19 y.o. aware of POIS since 2019
« Reply #31 on: September 13, 2021, 06:38:17 AM »
Do you have POIS when having sex?
(I haven't had sex since I started having POIS symptoms)
Why not just try it to see?

mike_sweden

« Reply #32 on: October 24, 2021, 01:53:19 AM »
Nocturnal orgasms are weak, hence less symptoms.

demografx

• Administrator
  • All of us working together to defeat POIS!
« Reply #33 on: October 24, 2021, 11:05:18 PM »

Nocturnal orgasms are weak, hence less symptoms.

Not in my case!
10 years of significant POIS-reduction, treatment consisting of daily (365 days/year) testosterone patches.

TRT must be checked out carefully with your doctor due to fertility, cardiac and other risks.

40+ years of severe 4-days-POIS, married, raised a family, started/ran a business

Journey

• MM group
  • INTP, 19 y.o. aware of POIS since 2019
« Reply #34 on: November 02, 2021, 12:25:57 PM »
I get POIS from nocturnal emissions, not the case for me

BoneBroth

« Reply #35 on: November 02, 2021, 05:18:20 PM »
Same here, NE's are often worse than O. Maybe NE's could be stronger or weaker. Sometimes I dreamt that I had a NE but when I woke up, I didnt. Those are not so bad.

By the way. Please do my last "Do you have LIPOMAS?" poll.

IronFeather

« Reply #36 on: November 03, 2021, 08:38:27 AM »
Being a woman, I can't say I've experienced NE, but I've had orgasms while asleep in the past. It doesn't happen frequently, only when I've been especially frustrated with abstinence. For me, they don't cause any symptoms at all. However, arousal does cause mild symptoms when awake.

I believe the reason why they don't make me sick is because, when they happen and I wake up afterwards, I don't experience any of the physical signs of arousal or sexual activity, I haven't produced any fluid and there haven't been any physical changes whatsoever. It's as if it was only in my brain, and my body was disconnected, even if all the sensations feel completely real in the dream. The only downside is that the thoughts remain and it's much easier to relapse the day after. I wonder if it works like this for anyone else.
26-year-old Spanish woman with POIS symptoms for the last 13 years.
Suffering from exercise intolerance since April 2020.
My case thread, with medical tests results.

Prospero

« Reply #37 on: November 03, 2021, 01:42:14 PM »
Yes, if I have an erotic dream in the night and wake up just before ejaculation (even if in my dream I'm already in a kind of orgasm), I experience an instantaneous return to normalcy, zero feeling of arousal/orgasm etc., and I have no POIS. If I wake up only during ejaculation I have a real orgasm and POIS.