Author Topic: POIS is gone!  (Read 39286 times)

John21

POIS is gone!
« on: December 26, 2020, 05:58:56 PM »
It seems my POIS is gone, hopefully forever.  I can explain how I believe it happened although I don't really understand what happened.  In my previous posts I explained how Pepto Bismol prevented POIS when taken before O. This made me wonder if maybe there was something in the gut that was happening  to cause the POIS symptoms. Well, about 4 months ago I came down with a salmonella infection and got quite sick. I had a fever for a few days and felt very miserable. I had diarrhea and lots of it. Whatever was coming out of me was black and disgusting, perhaps blood in the diarrhea. After I recovered from the fever the diarrhea persisted and I had to go on antibiotics (azithromycin) to kill off most of the salmonella. I started eating yogurt, kefir, and sauerkraut to try to re-establish a healthy gut microbiome. The diarrhea went away and my system normalized. But even now, almost 4 months afterward, it seems that my digestive system is different than it was before the food poisoning.  I used to be quite gassy of a person. I like to eat healthy and that always resulted in a lot of flatulence. But now eating the same diet I DO NOT have excessive gas! Also, it seems that my feces does not smell as bad as it used to, which is strange. Anyway, the main point is that since this event I have not had any POIS! I have recently had multiple Os and have had no difficulty. This leads me to wonder what the heck might have happened. Was there a "bad" bacteria causing the trouble somehow that got eliminated in the sickness/ antibiotics/ recovery? I may be wrong but my gut (bad pun) feeling is that the current lack of POIS is related to the sickness/recovery somehow. I don't suggest this "treatment" to anyone, is wasn't fun, but maybe it can shed some light on the cause of POIS.  Something to consider!   

Mushnikk

Re: POIS is gone!
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2020, 07:32:04 PM »
Another case of SIBO (small intestine bacterial overgrowth)? The antibiotic may have treated it.

Muon

• MCAD Thread
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2020, 07:33:28 PM »
Another case of SIBO (small intestine bacterial overgrowth)? The antibiotic may have treated it.
+1

Muon

• MCAD Thread
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2020, 09:12:22 PM »
How much time did it take for your POIS to fully develop John21, from 0 POIS to max level?

Limejuice

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2020, 09:47:04 PM »
Congrats!

demografx

• Administrator
  • All of us working together to defeat POIS!
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2020, 11:09:05 PM »
Seconding Limejuiceā€™s Congrats!

And many thanks for your contributions since 2007, when you became The Very First POISer to post anywhere on POIS-internet forums.
10 years of significant POIS-reduction, treatment consisting of daily (365 days/year) testosterone patches.

TRT must be checked out carefully with your doctor due to fertility, cardiac and other risks.

40+ years of severe 4-days-POIS, married, raised a family, started/ran a business

b_jim

« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2020, 04:42:28 AM »
Very happy for you and I really hope it will be for ever !
Always said Pois seems to start in the intestine.
My experience with anti-acids (omeprazole, 2 months) and long term antibiotherapy (rocephine 2g, 3 weeks) never changed my Pois even if feces became black.
Microbiota is all :)
Taurine = Anti-Pois
Lyme disease "cured" in 2020.

John21

« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2020, 07:27:47 AM »
How much time did it take for your POIS to fully develop John21, from 0 POIS to max level?

Typically throughout my life it would ramp up within the 24 hrs following orgasm.  It seemed like a cascading.

John21

« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2020, 07:32:31 AM »
Thanks guys! I have read that fecal transplant can strangely solve gut problems. I wonder if that might be something for others to consider.

Journey

• MM group
  • INTP, 19 y.o. aware of POIS since 2019
« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2020, 07:52:07 AM »
What symptoms you had and for how long? Did you have autism and a cognitive type of symptoms? Now you can orgasm as many times as you want and feel the same or even better than you did before on an abstinence streak? Is your cognition the same as it was in your life before you ever developed POIS or you notice some long-term permanent damage/changes left or you feel practically the same now in terms of focus, memory, mental processing speed, energy, strength, social cues reading ability as you did before you ever had POIS?

And do you experience differences in the sensation of orgasm and the sexual activities themselves? Like for example increased pleasure in some part of the penis and the genitals or the orgasm being of different strength and are there any changes in libido, erection obtainment speed and quality and ability to keep and maintain an erection and the time till orgasming/ejaculation? Compared to what it felt like back then when you still had the POIS?

Do you experience any mood changes after orgasming or change in perspective of the world e.g. everything just feeling and looking worse and such or your mood remains happy and stable even if you orgasm?

Please tell more in the details about all the changes that you have noticed.

Muon

• MCAD Thread
« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2020, 09:05:50 AM »

Typically throughout my life it would ramp up within the 24 hrs following orgasm.  It seemed like a cascading.

No that's not what I meant John. How did you develop POIS throughout your life? At what age did you start to notice it and did it get worse over time?

quikot

« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2020, 09:34:15 AM »
Reddit User ijustwanttofunction claims he might have been cured with Amoxicilin and probiotics

Quote from: ijustwanttofunction
The answer: Amoxicillin (it's an antibiotic, see edit below) + Probiotics (while you're taking the antibiotic and after). That's it.This worked for me and I hope it will work for more people. This seems to be in agreement with the theory that POIS is somehow related with the gut bacteria.

https://www.reddit.com/r/POIS/comments/dav11q/i_might_have_cured_my_pois/?utm_source=amp&utm_medium=&utm_content=post_body

Kurtosis too used antibiotics, probiotics, diet to treat his SIBO, coincidentally curing his POIS.

Quote from: Kurtosis
Regarding my explanations of how I cured my POIS (...) The first was fixing my gut which involved a major change (which was just pure luck) and an ongoing maintenance via a modified diet.

I got lucky here in that I ended up getting a significant amount of antibiotics while ill with a completely different illness to POIS. I'm still not sure how but I rebooted my gut by altering the bacterial balance following this treatment. Previous food allergies vanished overnight. I had explained to my gastroenterologist that I had a "chronic fatigue" like illness before I got the other illness (that led to the antibiotic treatment) and that I thought it might be gut related. He believed I had SIBO and put me on a diet with reduced FODMAPs for a while and I took a prescription strength probiotic called VSL3. Honestly, I'm not sure about the low FODMAPs diet but his advice afterwards was to pay dividends.
https://www.reddit.com/r/POIS/comments/35rh8o/kurtosis_explains_to_the_best_of_his_knowledge/?utm_source=amp&utm_medium=&utm_content=post_body

trusttheprocess said Azithromycin helped him too, although not cured. He atribbuted the improvement in POIS to anti-inflammatory effects of antibiotic rather than biocidal effects.

The best treatment I've ever tried was the antibiotic Azithromycin, which is why I believe POIS to be some type of infection. I tried it after reading about someone else that had great success with Penicillin, which is broad spectrum and can penetrate to the prostate, so I don't appear to be alone.  The antibiotic I tried is also a strong anti-inflammatory, however it gave me better relief of symptoms than Prednisone, so my conclusion was that anti-inflammatories gave symptom relief by dangerously suppressing the essential immune reaction that I believe POIS to be.  I don't want to scare anyone, so I won't go into detials, but realize anti-inflammatories can be very dangerous long term, especially for us if I'm right about my prostatitis theory (https://prostate.net/articles/can-aspirin-prevent-prostate-cancer/).

Hopeoneday

« Reply #12 on: December 27, 2020, 10:21:26 AM »
What is azithromycin used to treat?
1. About azithromycin. Azithromycin is an antibiotic. It's widely used to treat chest infections such as pneumonia, infections of the nose and throat such as sinus infection (sinusitis), skin infections, Lyme disease, and some sexually transmitted infections.

sinus infections related to Moraxella catarrhalis or Streptococcus pneumoniae
community-acquired pneumonia related to Chlamydia pneumoniae, Haemophilus influenzae, or S. pneumoniae
chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD) complications related to M. catarrhalis or S. pneumoniae
some skin infections related to Staphylococcus aureus, Streptococcus pyogenes, or Streptococcus agalactiae
tonsillitis related to S. pyogenes
urethritis and cervicitis related to Chlamydia trachomatis
chancroid genital ulcers (in males) related to Haemophilus ducreyi
certain ear infections in children aged 6 months and over, such as those related to M. catarrhalis

It is imunomodulary to...
Dr-pois.

Muon

• MCAD Thread
« Reply #13 on: December 27, 2020, 10:27:14 AM »
Staphylococcus aureus...
I've seen at least two POISers with S. Aureus infection.

John21

« Reply #14 on: December 27, 2020, 12:20:10 PM »
What symptoms you had and for how long? Did you have autism and a cognitive type of symptoms? Now you can orgasm as many times as you want and feel the same or even better than you did before on an abstinence streak? Is your cognition the same as it was in your life before you ever developed POIS or you notice some long-term permanent damage/changes left or you feel practically the same now in terms of focus, memory, mental processing speed, energy, strength, social cues reading ability as you did before you ever had POIS?

And do you experience differences in the sensation of orgasm and the sexual activities themselves? Like for example increased pleasure in some part of the penis and the genitals or the orgasm being of different strength and are there any changes in libido, erection obtainment speed and quality and ability to keep and maintain an erection and the time till orgasming/ejaculation? Compared to what it felt like back then when you still had the POIS?

Do you experience any mood changes after orgasming or change in perspective of the world e.g. everything just feeling and looking worse and such or your mood remains happy and stable even if you orgasm?

Since I was in my teens I suffered from mental distress post-orgasm. I am now in my 50s. My symptoms would last for approx 5 to 7 days and consist of an unwell feeling and cognitive impairment including degraded short term memory.  Once I recovered I was always back to normal, but still under high stress from trying to understand the POIS that was secretly going on in my life. Currently there is no symptoms post-o. There has been no change in any sensation or performance.

John21

« Reply #15 on: December 27, 2020, 12:28:12 PM »
Keep in mind that when you get that sick from salmonella your system "flushes" itself out to rid itself of the pathogen. So there were maybe two things at work: a "cleaning out" and also the antibiotics. I think that perhaps these combined allowed me to start over with a "blank slate". 

Journey

• MM group
  • INTP, 19 y.o. aware of POIS since 2019
« Reply #16 on: December 27, 2020, 01:13:47 PM »

Since I was in my teens I suffered from mental distress post-orgasm. I am now in my 50s. My symptoms would last for approx 5 to 7 days and consist of an unwell feeling and cognitive impairment including degraded short term memory.  Once I recovered I was always back to normal, but still under high stress from trying to understand the POIS that was secretly going on in my life. Currently there is no symptoms post-o. There has been no change in any sensation or performance.
Are you back to full cognitive potential you were before developing POIS and did you have any physical symptoms like strength decrease or harder to gain muscles or slower beard growth or only your mental and cognitive state seemed to be linked to whether you had POIS or not and to abstinence streaks lengths and such?

CharlesB

« Reply #17 on: December 28, 2020, 01:13:20 AM »
Congratulations!  What was the dosage and duration of the Azithromycin?  I have a functional doc that is not afraid of prescribing antibiotics, so I may request that (I have other stomach troubles the doc has mentioned we could try antibiotics for).

John21

« Reply #18 on: December 28, 2020, 06:45:12 AM »
Congratulations!  What was the dosage and duration of the Azithromycin?  I have a functional doc that is not afraid of prescribing antibiotics, so I may request that (I have other stomach troubles the doc has mentioned we could try antibiotics for).
It was a 5 day course, 2 the first day and one the next 4 days. I don't have the bottle to know the dose, should be a standard I would think. But I'm wondering if this alone will make any change to your system. Heck, it is even possible that the salmonella killed whatever pathogen was causing POIS.

John21

« Reply #19 on: December 28, 2020, 06:51:03 AM »
Are you back to full cognitive potential you were before developing POIS and did you have any physical symptoms like strength decrease or harder to gain muscles or slower beard growth or only your mental and cognitive state seemed to be linked to whether you had POIS or not and to abstinence streaks lengths and such?

I don't think that the years of POIS have damaged my mental abilities. The only persisting negative aspect is the damage caused by the stress of living with it - this resulted in insomnia which currently persists. I have not noticed any muscular or hair growth associations.