Poll

Should POIScenter switch to a dark theme?

Yes
2 (20%)
Not necessarily a dark/black theme but they should get rid of the default theme, it's too bright.
2 (20%)
No it's fine as it is
6 (60%)

Total Members Voted: 10

Author Topic: Dark theme/background  (Read 2477 times)

Muon

• MCAD Thread
Dark theme/background
« on: December 06, 2020, 08:25:33 AM »
Admins can install theme mods for simplemachines forum. I personally switch to a dark mode on websites if possible, it's kinder to my eyes.

Example: Go the the bottom left corner of this website: https://forums.phoenixrising.me/
Click on 'Phoenix Light' and select a theme.

Youtube dark mode:

« Last Edit: December 06, 2020, 08:33:50 AM by Muon »

BoneBroth

Re: Dark theme/background
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2020, 10:08:39 AM »
Dark themes has some kind of un-seriousity, "nerdy" feeling over it which doesnt comply with a serious "medical health-oriented site". Better install the free software https://justgetflux.com/ that lowers the blue light from your screen after sunset. I've used it for 10 years! Its also good for your testosterone production! :)

quikot

« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2020, 11:46:08 AM »
I have photosensitive eyes. Would appreciate.

BoneBroth

« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2020, 12:34:35 PM »

Muon

• MCAD Thread
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2020, 01:53:30 PM »
There are much nicer ones bonebroth, but yea I prefer the dark colored backgrounds. Perhaps people can suggest some themes they like.

Themes main portal

Search: 'Dark'

Ambassador

They even have a dynamic sunrise theme: https://custom.simplemachines.org/themes/index.php?lemma=2921

Boru

Nightbreeze

Ant's Curve Variants

Blue Pearl

BackNBlack

Probably not the best ones out there but you get the point. Nightbreeze is pretty chill and not overdone in terms of contrast. I like Blue Pearl as well (maybe my favorite, although I find nightbreeze more relaxing to my eyes).

There are also night-ish blue themes, or orange ones that mimick sunsets.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2020, 02:26:32 PM by Muon »

berlin1984

• Administrator
  • Use Adaptogens and Antioxidants, they can help.
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2020, 01:58:24 PM »
I think it would be nice to have a new theme which is MOBILE READY, e.g. doesn't have crazy small fonts on mobile browsers.

Maybe this is a forum software setting and not a theme setting though.

BoneBroth

« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2020, 06:10:29 PM »
Isn't there a possibility for each user to choose his own theme in user settings?

Muon

• MCAD Thread
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2020, 07:18:24 PM »
I have photosensitive eyes. Would appreciate.

I use windows magnifying glass in the evening/night when visiting poiscenter, it contains a color inversion mode under settings. It's a standard program in windows. I bet there is an app to inverse colors for mobile devices.

Quantum

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2020, 09:39:06 PM »
Hi guys,

Sorry for the delay in answering, I have been a bit busy lately, but I am happy to inform you that I have just installed two new themes today, that will surely please you. The one called "SunRise" is very interesting, because it can be switched between light and dark mode at will, with a single button on top right of the home page.  It is also a responsive mode, so good for mobiles or pads.

The other one, Boru, is a dark theme that also looks good to me.  I prefer the SunRise theme, but that will be an alternate dark theme for those who want another possible choice. This theme, like the previous one, is also responsive, that is, mobile ready and pads ready.

To change your forum theme, go to your member profile, then to Look and Layout  , Current Theme , Change ,    then go down and choose one of the new themes, and click « Use this Theme »,  When back to the previous page, click « Change Profile » at the bottom...and enjoy new theme !
Those two new themes are responsive, so this will also fix any problem with character size or other display problems on mobiles or iPads.

Note that that the default theme will stay the same as before, so you have to make the change to your own profile, and you will see the default theme when not logged in, like guests do ( unregistered visitors).  Current default theme will still be the default for new members too.

Try out the new themes and let me know and tell me what you think !   

« Last Edit: December 29, 2020, 09:41:54 PM by Quantum »
You are 100% responsible for what you do with anything I post on this forum and of any consequence it could have for you.  Forum rule: ""Do not use POISCenter as a substitute for, or to give, medical advice" Read the remaining part at http://poiscenter.com/forums/index.php?topic=1.msg10259#msg10259

Muon

• MCAD Thread
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2020, 10:06:19 PM »
Oh man you put a smile on my face Quantum. I'm testing them right now. I didn't expect you to add themes, great stuff! I will let you know what I think of it once I have spent more time with them. Message written while testing Boru. The switching in sunrise is pretty cool. :D
« Last Edit: December 29, 2020, 10:08:55 PM by Muon »

demografx

• Administrator
  • All of us working together to defeat POIS!
« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2020, 10:31:23 PM »
Thanks, Quantum!
10 years of significant POIS-reduction, treatment consisting of daily (365 days/year) testosterone patches.

TRT must be checked out carefully with your doctor due to fertility, cardiac and other risks.

40+ years of severe 4-days-POIS, married, raised a family, started/ran a business

Quantum

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2020, 10:34:08 PM »
Oh man you put a smile on my face Quantum. I'm testing them right now. I didn't expect you to add themes, great stuff! I will let you know what I think of it once I have spent more time with them. Message written while testing Boru. The switching in sunrise is pretty cool. :D
:) :D :)

You are 100% responsible for what you do with anything I post on this forum and of any consequence it could have for you.  Forum rule: ""Do not use POISCenter as a substitute for, or to give, medical advice" Read the remaining part at http://poiscenter.com/forums/index.php?topic=1.msg10259#msg10259

Quantum

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2020, 10:52:46 PM »
I am also happy to let you know that I have found a package/mod to modify the default theme, so that now it is responsive, that is, will show well on mobile, not in very small fonts.  This will be good for unregistered visitors using mobile phone :)

I never use my cell phone to visit poiscenter, and did not know that the default theme for SMF forums, "Curve", was not responsive.  It is Berlin comment in this thread that had me doing some search and learned about it, and also find the mod I have just installed.