Poll

How much sun do get in a week?

Virtually none.  I am PALE. Barely ever leave my house
18 (38.3%)
I walk/play in the sun a little bit, but no sunburns
25 (53.2%)
Frequent sunburns and tanning
4 (8.5%)
A LOT. I am red. Leather skin.  Beach every week.
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 42

Author Topic: Sun Exposure  (Read 8232 times)

traderwithpois

Sun Exposure
« on: September 18, 2011, 09:00:45 AM »
Sun exposure

Vincent M

• Physical overshadows cognitive symptoms. 10yrs.
Re: Sun Exposure
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2011, 01:37:16 PM »
I put virtually none, however my skin is naturally a darkish tan due to my hawaiian and asian blood which probably means I should be getting even more sunlight than others.

However on days when I make a point to get several hrs of sunlight (not often) I don't feel any immediate effects on my health. I need to test if the benefit might appear after perhaps a month or so of getting a good amount of sun.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2011, 01:39:37 PM by Vincent Marcus »
Taking ginger tea, no wheat, fenugreek+green tea/garlic, saw palmetto, niacin, boswellia, huperzine, B complex and nutmeg. See my treatment summary post for more info: http://poiscenter.com/forums/index.php?topic=81.msg3513#msg3513

traderwithpois

« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2011, 05:58:41 PM »
I want to also note that personally when I have gotten a little sun in the past, it seems to give me more energy and helps to rgulate many aspects of my body and health.  So this is the theory behind this poll to determine if there is any connection between sun exposure and pois sufferers

Daveman

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2011, 08:12:53 AM »
I didn't vote yet on the poll, it's winter here (just recently coming into the beginning of spring). So NO sun, and POIS is always worse in the winter.

In summer, I'm in the sun a lot, although for my fair skin, I wear a sunblock. The ozone hole in the southern hemisphere  permits very high levels of UV. also so great care has to be taken.

The difference in summer is markedly better.

WITHOUT RESEARCH THERE WILL BE NO CURE!
Sessions 5 to 9 days, mostly Flu-like, joints, digestion problems, light cognitive.
Niacin has changed my lif though, now 1 day MAX.
Somewhere in this interaction with Niacin is the answer!

Vincent M

• Physical overshadows cognitive symptoms. 10yrs.
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2011, 04:48:56 PM »
I do have a little less POIS in the summer, but it seems to be due to the heat giving me better blood circulation in my opinion since I rarely spend time in sunlight.
Taking ginger tea, no wheat, fenugreek+green tea/garlic, saw palmetto, niacin, boswellia, huperzine, B complex and nutmeg. See my treatment summary post for more info: http://poiscenter.com/forums/index.php?topic=81.msg3513#msg3513

Jon

« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2011, 10:40:42 PM »
I personally feel as though a few hours of sun in the summer seems to give me a little more energy and makes me think clearer.
My cognitive symptoms started suddenly during an orgasm when I was 16. I then developed my POIS and cognitive/physical symptoms became very severe. Had to leave work and school. This year I had 60% success with regimen. Recently the symptoms have gotten worse again. Let's help each other.

Daveman

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2011, 08:39:20 AM »
I first started to feel POIS in the winter. I didn't relate it to POIS, just figured that for whatever reason, my bones were more sensitive to weather systems. Arthritis I figured at first. Chile has a marked climate. Summer is clear, I mean sky blue clear for about 4 1/2 mo. Then fall and winter bring weather fronts and my problems started.

But summer always a LOT better. As the POIS got worse, I saw that even summer didn't save me, and began to look for other explanations.

So I think sun (vitamin D) is important for lessening POIS, and maybe weather systems changes of humidiy and air pressure also worsen it. I guess to see if vitamin D has anything to do with making us more sensitive to these temp/pres changes we'd have to hear from someone who is in summer AND a place where there are constant changes of weather systems, like Florida etc.

WITHOUT RESEARCH THERE WILL BE NO CURE!
Sessions 5 to 9 days, mostly Flu-like, joints, digestion problems, light cognitive.
Niacin has changed my lif though, now 1 day MAX.
Somewhere in this interaction with Niacin is the answer!

Samir

• POIS victim since 1988
    • Huntsville Car Scene.com
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2011, 11:58:02 PM »
I get a lot of sun on the weekends.  If the weather is clear and there's car and bike events in the area, I'm out in it for most of the day.  I won't burn even when others get sun poisoning because of my Indian heritage and skin.

I don't know if I can attribute feeling better with the sun or the exercise, but usually I'm so tired I need a day or so to recover.

badgerstripe

« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2012, 05:50:21 AM »
i probably fall between option 3 and 4 as i am in the sun quite a lot in the English summer and just occasionally get burned. I find that a few hours in the sun building a tan over a few days helps my overral wellbeing, lessening slightly the impact of POIS, especially the muscle-ache, but the foggy, itchy exhaustion is still very much there.

Andy451

• Connect & Fight :)
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2013, 12:38:18 AM »
Sun always helps alleviate skin symptoms for me.. It's also good my mood and circadian rhythm. The winter time in the Northeast of the US is brutal for me and exacerbates all symptoms. I feel like I regress when I catch less rays.
37 yo M- POIS for 25yrs (since age 12). Chronic POIS- always there

Tried desensitization for 1.5yrs & was unsuccessful (POIS worse at 1/1000)

Exercising- (running/weights/situps) Low sugar diet. Supplements- limited success.Meds- Oxcarbazepine/Buspar (past-Depakote10yrs)

berlin1984

• Administrator
  • Use Adaptogens and Antioxidants, they can help.
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2022, 05:23:40 AM »
Sun makes me feel great. I crave the sunrays.
Too warm weather however also makes me fell dull and unenergetic and also might have triggered the orthostatic intolerance I have during summer time (maybe overlapped with hay fever season symptoms)..

Now in winter, I'm trying to go to a tanning bed every 1-2 weeks, however the lowest intensity ones and my intention is just to get the rays, not the tan (or vitamin D). Maybe there is something right about GTL after all.

In winter, I take 2000 IE Vitamin D every few days.
But sun/light is not only about vitamin D.